Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Bodybuilding/Fat Loss/Powerlifting Thread 2

• Advanced Member

However, so far it doesn't seem to be helping my tummy go in much. Trousers are still too tight for comfort. Here are my questions:

- Should I give up weights for a couple of months and focus on doing only Cardio? Once I lose my extra fat and then I'll get back to pumping weights?

- I am concerned if I do that I'll lose the muscle I built up over the last couple of months. Will that happen? If so, will that be easy to regain?

- I read in an earlier post that to lose fat one must do Hiit , Tabata Thrusters. What's that? How many times a week must I do Hiit , Tabata Thrusters?

- Finally any website recommendations where I can track articles on Weight training for beginners and post questions on the same?

Thanks so much Bro's. Super appreciate your help.

Sulayman

Ps: Before every weight training work out I do a good cardio burst of 15 to 20 minutes of running at 10 km/hr followed by streches. Thought I'd mention that.

1) Absolutely not. Giving up weights would be the absolute worst thing you can do. Lifting weights helps you burn fat. In fact, I would recommend it over cardio every time. You need to follow a weight-lifting routine that also incorporates High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). You can use a treadmill, bike or elliptical. Essentially, you run or pedal very fast in intervals and jog or pedal slowly in intervals. You have to pre-set the machine for interval training. The intervals usually go from 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the machin. When you are jogging or pedaling slowly, there is less resistance and the pace is slower. But once that interval is up, the machine alternates to a higher resistance and faster speed that requires you to pedal or run faster. You should do this for no more than 20-25 minutes. This creates an after-burn effect, where your body continues to burn calories even after you have completed your session. HIIT should be done after your weight-lifting routine.

2) Building muscle isn't easy. It requires a high-intensity workout, where you target your muscles either through isolation workouts, compound exercises or both. But you should really focus on one or the other: burning fat or building muscle. If you are losing weight, chances are high that you don't have the caloric intake to add mass. It's OK. Get to the point where you feel comfortable gaining mass. At that point, commence in a bulking or muscle-building phase where you eat more calories a day than you burn. As has been mentioned numerous times in your thread, focus your routine around these four power movements: Military Press, Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift. You should do these whether you are cutting or building muscle. These are the absolute best workouts; they will target every muscle you want to build. You can then add isolation routines around these exercises. If you want to put on muscle, you will have to eat a high-protein diet. Whether you are trying to gain weight/muscle or lose fat, you should be eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. Your body will need protein and carbs before and after a workout, and I would recommend that you eat 45 minutes or so before your session. Try having a whey protein shake with skim milk once your workout session has commenced. You need to count calories. To lose weight, you simply need to burn more calories a day than you consume. Aim to lose 1-1.5 pounds a week. Anything more than that is unsustainable.

Recap:

i) Hit the weights hard and learn the four exercises I mentioned above (Military Press, Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift);

ii) Do HIIT after your weight-training session for no more than 20-25 minutes (I recommend 20 minutes);

iii) Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day and make sure you have a high protein intake; avoid junk food and over-processed meals;

iv) Track your caloric intake; find calorie calculators through google that can tell you how many calories your body needs to maintain its current weight and how many calories it needs to burn fat;

v) Never go to extremes

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^ Don't worry about it. For women, rounded tummies are much better than hard ones. But yes bona is right. Leg raises as well as jogging will have more impact on your lower abdomen than any other exerc

• Advanced Member

Salaam Ladies and Gents Has is back.

Sorry I've been away a bit, haven't been using SC as much, been busy, had a bit of stuff going on in life, you all know how it is.

Kudos to the boys, mainly Big Zak and Asphyxiated for keeping this thread afloat in my absence.

Personally I had a bad Ramadan, I got sick so couldn't train at all and lost a lot of weight, I was depressed for a bit lol, but got back into it and can finally say

I am back to where I was before my illness. I sort of lost motivation for a bit, but once you see the gains you get right back into it.

A wise man once said, Strong is Strong is Strong.

WaSalaam.

Has.

• Advanced Member

I've a few questions...

Whats the most efficient way to quickly increase your bench press and squat? I really want gains in these two exercises to be the main goal of my workouts.So any help would be appreciated.

And does it really make a big difference if my elbows flare out while i'm bench pressing?

Finally, i was around 220lbs before Ramadan. I prolly lost around 10-12 lbs during that month. After Ramadan, although i went back to my regular gym and eating routine, i still haven't really gained that weight back. I don't wanna go all out with the eating cause then i'll end up with belly fat. I also have been playing basketball nearly everyday for about an hour. So i'm guessing that's causing my weight to remain where it is. Any tips of gaining some of that weight back without getting a belly?

• Advanced Member

Recap:

i) Hit the weights hard and learn the four exercises I mentioned above (Military Press, Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift);

ii) Do HIIT after your weight-training session for no more than 20-25 minutes (I recommend 20 minutes);

iii) Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day and make sure you have a high protein intake; avoid junk food and over-processed meals;

iv) Track your caloric intake; find calorie calculators through google that can tell you how many calories your body needs to maintain its current weight and how many calories it needs to burn fat;

v) Never go to extremes

You Bro's are amazing! Thanks so much for the reply. Super appreciate the effort. I've picked up lots of good stuff from this reply.

Just one follow-on question for now, I normally do my cardio before my weights to warm up. If you are recommending that I do by HIIT after weights, then what should I do to warm up?

Also what's the average time one should spend working out? Currently I spend say 20 to 30 minutes cardio followed by 30 to 45 minutes of weight training.

Thanks once again guys.

Sulayman

• Advanced Member

You Bro's are amazing! Thanks so much for the reply. Super appreciate the effort. I've picked up lots of good stuff from this reply.

Just one follow-on question for now, I normally do my cardio before my weights to warm up. If you are recommending that I do by HIIT after weights, then what should I do to warm up?

Also what's the average time one should spend working out? Currently I spend say 20 to 30 minutes cardio followed by 30 to 45 minutes of weight training.

Thanks once again guys.

Sulayman

All you really have to do before lifting is stretching - that, and perhaps do a few "warmup sets," which are equivalent to lifting the bar without any weight. If you've started benching, squatting, deadlifting or military pressing then you should do a few sets with just the bar to get the feel for the workout. Get your movements down and then start adding weight. If you're so compelled, then you can do some light cardio to get the blood flowing prior to lifting. Better yet, you can walk from a short distance to the gym. I personally like to conserve all the energy possible before I hit the weights. A great way to have energetic workouts is to go early in the morning. After my fajr prayer I usually eat my breakfast and pre-training meals together. That's essentially 50% of my carb intake for the day. Then I bus it to the gym, which saves me a 15-20 minute walk, and then stretch before beginning my routine. You need to get yourself into a habit that makes you comfortable. If doing some light jogging prior to lifting works for you, then do it. Keep it moderate, though.

As Bro. Hassan would also recommend, your lifting routines should be 45-75 minutes in length, depending on the parts you're doing. Don't lift for more than an hour and a half. And don't do more than 30 minutes of cardio. You're looking for as much muscle retention as possible. HIIT for 20 minutes and then tell me how awesome your results are.

I've a few questions...

Whats the most efficient way to quickly increase your bench press and squat? I really want gains in these two exercises to be the main goal of my workouts.So any help would be appreciated.

And does it really make a big difference if my elbows flare out while i'm bench pressing?

Finally, i was around 220lbs before Ramadan. I prolly lost around 10-12 lbs during that month. After Ramadan, although i went back to my regular gym and eating routine, i still haven't really gained that weight back. I don't wanna go all out with the eating cause then i'll end up with belly fat. I also have been playing basketball nearly everyday for about an hour. So i'm guessing that's causing my weight to remain where it is. Any tips of gaining some of that weight back without getting a belly?

The most efficient way is to get a good split going, lifting with proper form, increasing gradually, eating well (carb up prior to your training) and get plenty of rest. There's no express lane for heavier lifts. What you can also do is increase your caloric intake, especially from protein. Conceivably, if you're gaining weight and lifting hard, you will also get stronger. That's one of my insecurities about cutting - my bench goes down. If you want to put on 10-12 pounds, then you need to up your protein quite a bit, avoid strenuous cardio and train intensely. Up your caloric intake to a surplus of +5-600. That way you're putting on calories everyday without overdoing it. Eat clean foods while you go up, but eat more of them. Since you were up at 220, I highly doubt dirty bulking is for you. Keep it clean.

Ok so first time i post in this thread!

I have a perfectly average weight with no extra fat anywhere. I have a flat stomach HOWEVER after gaining a little bit of weight previously, it is now ermm, still flat but wiggly? Barely wiggly unless i am wiggling it myself with my hand. :unsure: okay this is getting awkward...

ANYWAY

So i wanna tone my abdomen, specially my lower abdomen but all of it would be great. Ive been doing this exercise that i got online called the reverse curl, however i have to do at least 50 of them before i feel any significant burn in my abdomen, so i feel like it will take forever to see any difference in "hardness".

Do you suggest any specific form of exercise that is moderately easy to do but a lot more intense than the one that i am doing now, but that targets the lower abdomen mostly, not just the upper abdomen (which i have found most exercises pull on)?

• Veteran Member

Ok so first time i post in this thread!

I have a perfectly average weight with no extra fat anywhere. I have a flat stomach HOWEVER after gaining a little bit of weight previously, it is now ermm, still flat but wiggly? Barely wiggly unless i am wiggling it myself with my hand. :unsure: okay this is getting awkward...

ANYWAY

So i wanna tone my abdomen, specially my lower abdomen but all of it would be great. Ive been doing this exercise that i got online called the reverse curl, however i have to do at least 50 of them before i feel any significant burn in my abdomen, so i feel like it will take forever to see any difference in "hardness".

Do you suggest any specific form of exercise that is moderately easy to do but a lot more intense than the one that i am doing now, but that targets the lower abdomen mostly, not just the upper abdomen (which i have found most exercises pull on)?

Its kinda useless to work on your stomach without cardio. So you should run, if u dont, no matter how hard your abs get, they really wont show.

Also for lower abdomen, crunches dont always cut it, u need to do leg raises and such to work on the lower area.

• Veteran Member

^ Don't worry about it. For women, rounded tummies are much better than hard ones.

But yes bona is right. Leg raises as well as jogging will have more impact on your lower abdomen than any other exercise.

Edited by Marbles
  • Veteran Member

^ i dont care about my abs showing lol, i just want to have a hard stomach, not a "wiggly" one..

And i can't do leg raises :S i tried and i can only do like 5 in a row before i DIE :S it pulls muscles in my thighs too so its really painful

You dont get it, you wont get a hard stomach unless u run and burn off that fat. Even if u get a good ab workout and ur stomach muscles harden up, the wiggle will still be there unless u do a lot of cardio to burn it off. Running is absolutely essential for your core muscles.

Do 5 leg raises, do that for a few days and then increase reps.

Also use proper form, if ur only feeling it in ur thighs u are doing it wrong.

Edited by Bonafide Hustler

Nah i think i didn't describe my situation properly...i don't have any fat to burn off...my muscles are just not there so its more of skin wiggling with alittle bit of fat under that. I don't want to lose any weight ive been working for long enough to get to this weight to begin with...

And its not working my thigh muscles. You known when your itching your back and u pull a muscle in your arm or something of the like? That is what happens to only ONE thigh when i am doing that exercise. It isn't constantly working my thigh, but its pulling a muscle that causes for intense pain for a long time afterward. So i have no clue what i am doing wrong that is causing for that to happen.

• Advanced Member

Sallamu Alaikum,

Inshallah brother Hassan does not mind me giving advice while you're waiting for his reply.

A lot of people have the same problem when attempting to gain weight. They think they're eating ''alot'' but if you get all your meals together, you'll realise you're not eating as much as you should be to reach your goals. If you are truly eating a lot, then you've got to eat a lot more, if you want to gain weight.

You'll have to take the proper amount of protein, carbs and healthy fats in order to reach the desired weight gain. There is a particular calculation to work out how much protein, carbs and healthy fats you need. I unfortanately lack knowledge on this so inshallah Hassan sheds more light on this area.

The simple solution is to take in more calories than you burn. As for iftar, it is very harmful to over eat and the Ahlulbayt (as) have always advised the Shia to eat moderately. As soon as you're satisfied, you should stop. However, you shouldn't eat to the extent that you become weak and it's affecting your overall health. Not too much, not too little is the key. We should enjoy the blessings of Allah (swt) but with moderateness.

May Allah (swt) grant you strength.

Wassallam

This is true, but to a lot of the beginners here, I wouldn't recommend macro ratios. I've always been massively obsessed with numbers and statistics, and I've gone through stages where I've come to be obsessed with my numbers. I'm cutting right now and these are my ratios:

Protein: 225g

Carbs: 140g

Fats: 48g

This is based on my endo-mesomorphic body type. Still, I think it's important to raise a few points to the guys who are looking to gain:

- you need to consume at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean mass you have; some theories suggest even more than that;

- you need to focus on nutrition even more than the gym; as Br. Hassan has mentioned, the one hour in the gym is the easiest - it's the other 23 that are hard;

- pre-and-post training meals are very important, and both require carbs... so if you're a carbophobe like myself, you have to get over it. Just stay away from pasta and all that other over-processed stuff;

- know your body type and adjust accordingly;

- accept your body type - there's no point in getting pissed off over your genetics or dimensions;

- monitor your eating habits closely; the good news is that, the more protein you tend to eat, the more your cravings for poor food choices begin to diminish

Just a few minor points to keep in mind. Learn the lifts and monitor what you eat. Don't get obsessed with the numbers, but keep the grams and calories in mind. This is all that I can think of for now. I'll be back for more, if anyone is interested.

Edited by asphyxiated
  • Advanced Member

Can full court basketball for about a hour be a good substitute for HIIT?I mean it's quite similar with the stop and go motions.

The most efficient way is to get a good split going, lifting with proper form, increasing gradually, eating well (carb up prior to your training) and get plenty of rest. There's no express lane for heavier lifts. What you can also do is increase your caloric intake, especially from protein. Conceivably, if you're gaining weight and lifting hard, you will also get stronger. That's one of my insecurities about cutting - my bench goes down. If you want to put on 10-12 pounds, then you need to up your protein quite a bit, avoid strenuous cardio and train intensely. Up your caloric intake to a surplus of +5-600. That way you're putting on calories everyday without overdoing it. Eat clean foods while you go up, but eat more of them. Since you were up at 220, I highly doubt dirty bulking is for you. Keep it clean.

Ok thanx for the advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam guys, i think this is the fourth time I am raising this point lol, but khair, I'll say it again.

DOING AB EXERCISES HAS LITTLE TO NO EFFECT ON THE APPEARANCE OF YOUR ABS.

IF YOU WANT ABS YOU MUST LOSE THE FAT ON TOP OF YOUR ABS, THIS IS DONE VIA DIET AND EXERCISE.

WaSalaam.

Has.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Is there any possible way of getting ripped without using weights. ive heard of many but im not sure if they actually work? If you know any, can you please advise me thanx, its greatly appreciated.

Btw, Visit: http://the12imams.blogspot.com/

Depends on your definition of ripped.

If by ripped you mean, no fat, then yeah. Any form of cardio will do this for you. i.e Running, rowing etc.

If you mean, big and ripped, then no, you need to do weights lol. And why wouldn't you want to do weights? They are beautiful!

Oh and nice blog. :)

I like the pics and quotes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Depends on your definition of ripped.

If by ripped you mean, no fat, then yeah. Any form of cardio will do this for you. i.e Running, rowing etc.

If you mean, big and ripped, then no, you need to do weights lol. And why wouldn't you want to do weights? They are beautiful!

Oh and nice blog. :)

I like the pics and quotes.

lol i cant be bothored for weights and thanx for visiting ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Banned

big man! long time.

ive started dabbling in 2 regular cardio styles replacements, BU-HIIT and "matrix" training, you ever heard of em? what do you think? i do my squats/ bench presses with the bar as normal, then do the matrix training, then if im still alive the BU-HIIT on the treadmill.

then i puke up my feet lol.

ive found that whey protein protein, mixed with "essential amino acids" powder plus a scoop of maltodextrin with water instead of milk, work best after a workout, as opposed to the [Edited Out] most people are on like creatine. what is your preferred one?

you think these are a good way forward? im trying to do fat loss AND power building (thai boxing season starts in september so im trying to be a brick sh*thouse by then)

• Advanced Member

big man! long time.

ive started dabbling in 2 regular cardio styles replacements, BU-HIIT and "matrix" training, you ever heard of em? what do you think? i do my squats/ bench presses with the bar as normal, then do the matrix training, then if im still alive the BU-HIIT on the treadmill.

then i puke up my feet lol.

ive found that whey protein protein, mixed with "essential amino acids" powder plus a scoop of maltodextrin with water instead of milk, work best after a workout, as opposed to the [Edited Out] most people are on like creatine. what is your preferred one?

you think these are a good way forward? im trying to do fat loss AND power building (thai boxing season starts in september so im trying to be a brick sh*thouse by then)

Has been on a long time, haven't been on SC in ages.

Heard of matrix hiit etc, its hard but worth it, keep it up. Very hard in fact.

Your post-workout shake is good, creatine is a waste of money imo.

Look into the Anabolic diet too, if u want to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time.

Also before n00bs get confused, pick either building mass, or losing fat, you CAN do both for a short period, but its very hard, I know MDM's history so don't be taking that advice and trying to implement it yourself, either bulk or cut. Thanks. :)

Edited by Hassan2jz
  • Banned

Heard of matrix hiit etc, its hard but worth it, keep it up. Very hard in fact.

yeah tell me about it man, last night i did 3 sets, swear to god i thought i was gonna DIE, by the end of the third set i just lay on the floor, couldnt even lift my head for about 5 minutes lol.

anyway ive got a few questions for you man, know you are the right man to ask.

ive got a mate who keeps telling me when im doing weights, lets say on the bench, to go down (towards my chest) as slowly and as controlled as possible, with the bar level with my nipples, and then when its down, really exploding hard and fast up to the start position. once youve finished your sets, go straight into ballistic (clapping) pressups as tabatas.

apparantely this makes your muscles much stronger, quicker? is there any truth to this? if so, whats the science my main man?

cheers

• Advanced Member

yeah tell me about it man, last night i did 3 sets, swear to god i thought i was gonna DIE, by the end of the third set i just lay on the floor, couldnt even lift my head for about 5 minutes lol.

anyway ive got a few questions for you man, know you are the right man to ask.

ive got a mate who keeps telling me when im doing weights, lets say on the bench, to go down (towards my chest) as slowly and as controlled as possible, with the bar level with my nipples, and then when its down, really exploding hard and fast up to the start position. once youve finished your sets, go straight into ballistic (clapping) pressups as tabatas.

apparantely this makes your muscles much stronger, quicker? is there any truth to this? if so, whats the science my main man?

cheers

hhaha that's HIIT cuz.

Your mate is right about the bench-press, explosive techniques are awesome for growth and strength gains. It has to do with the different twitch muscle fibres you stimulate in explosive movements. It is good to change it up, sometimes resist/push at the same speed, other time, slow down the resist and speed up the push and so on.

In terms of the tabatas, that might be a fitness thing, because it wouldn't really be beneficial for further growth. You need heavy weight for proper growth stimulation.

O/T. Did you end up getting a car?

• Banned

hhaha that's HIIT cuz.

Your mate is right about the bench-press, explosive techniques are awesome for growth and strength gains. It has to do with the different twitch muscle fibres you stimulate in explosive movements. It is good to change it up, sometimes resist/push at the same speed, other time, slow down the resist and speed up the push and so on.

In terms of the tabatas, that might be a fitness thing, because it wouldn't really be beneficial for further growth. You need heavy weight for proper growth stimulation.

O/T. Did you end up getting a car?

thanks for the advice bro, much appreciated as usual. ill stop spreading that you are a fat fag for a few weeks in repayment.

nah, im opening a business instead inshallah so need the cash n cant afford one till the new year now :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaams,

No, it's a myth. Though It's of great importance that one should know how to execute the movements correctly, so I advise to work on form, otherwise there's a high chance of injury.

http://www.steadyhea...___t214336.html

Hope this helps.

(salam)

Thank you for the reply

Wassalam

Salaam,

I need an alternative to pull ups?

I don't have access to a chin up bar/pull up bar at home and I don't have the time to run down to a playground and find one of those monkeybars to do pull ups so basically, ANY exercise out there that I can do with dumbbells that will work same muscles as pull ups??

(ps: I did some googling and I don't have the time to break down the pull up exercise into which muscle groups it works so I can work the same muscle groups, get me?)

Help appreciated (as Id rather not buy a pullup bar...)

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah) (salam)

I joined boxing back recently and I am constantly being told by 3 or 4 of my coaches that I shouldn't do too many weights otherwise the extra muscle will slow me down and won't let me properly extend my arms. I am thinking that a few explosive push ups, clap push ups, and various other explosive excercises will help me keep my speed but they say otherwise. What do you think?

Salaam,

I need an alternative to pull ups?

I don't have access to a chin up bar/pull up bar at home and I don't have the time to run down to a playground and find one of those monkeybars to do pull ups so basically, ANY exercise out there that I can do with dumbbells that will work same muscles as pull ups??

(ps: I did some googling and I don't have the time to break down the pull up exercise into which muscle groups it works so I can work the same muscle groups, get me?)

Help appreciated (as Id rather not buy a pullup bar...)

For the Latissimu Dorsi you can do: One Arm Row, Back Dumbell Row and, Dumbell bent over row

For Brachialis: Do some reverse curls

That's all I got so far, I will continue the list later

Edited by ShiaSoldier@2007
  • Banned

(bismillah) (salam)

I joined boxing back recently and I am constantly being told by 3 or 4 of my coaches that I shouldn't do too many weights otherwise the extra muscle will slow me down and won't let me properly extend my arms. I am thinking that a few explosive push ups, clap push ups, and various other explosive excercises will help me keep my speed but they say otherwise. What do you think?

bro for thai boxing we have a similar mindset; clapping press ups and chin ups/pull ups is where you need to be. for legs you need to do frog leaps. we try to kick a pad when we are the highest point of the jump, but you could maybe do a 1-2 combination?

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I had a quick question regarding abs exercise, How effective is the workout in this youtube clip

I haven't been to the gym for the past 4 months and I'm getting love handles, so I was wondering what exercises (that can be done at home and doesn't require weights) should I do to get rid of my love handles (I have changed my diet and included more fruits, vegetables, and I eat either porridge or cereal for breakfast).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry for the late reply bro, i haven't been on SC too much. :)

The Ab workout is good for growing your abs, BUT, this is FUTILE, if you abs are covered by a nice juicy layer of fat.

The best way to get great abs.....is to lose fat, everywhere, as you can't spot reduce.

So keep the diet clean and God Willing, the Abs will show. :)

Diet seems good, just add lots of protein.

Has Out.

WaSalaam.