Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Hassan2jz

The Bodybuilding/Fat Loss/Powerlifting Thread 2

Agree with Brother Hassan...I'm talking from experience, I've been training for almost 2 years now. I started when I was 16 and my brother in law took me under his wing and showed me how to train to get BIG. Which was 'hypertrophy' basic training. From there I did my own research on nutrition and training.

I started at around 68KG Now I'm from 78KG - 80KG offseason weight. I'm still training big, eating big and sleeping big to grow. My training is very simple which is the same approach as IFBB PRO Branch Warren and IFBB PRO Johhnie Jackson (SOME OF THE STRONGEST BODYBUILDERS). 'Power building'. Rep schemes = start off with high reps then go heavier and the reps will decrease. Sometimes I go over 15 reps to shock my muscles. I train all my body parts once a week. I only do cardio around 1-2 times a week to keep the fat down a little, keep metabolism going and of course to stay healthy. I've never been in 'On Season' which is getting ripped, I've still got a lot of growing to do, I aint settling for anything less. As for nutrition, I try to eat at least 6 meals a day, I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, healthy fats such as nuts, flaxseed oil. Carbs such as brown rice, potatoe, pasta...etc. Protein such as chicken, beef, meat, fish (I'm planning to eat that 3 times a week, this year I've only been eating it once a week, one of my new years resolution for 09 :lol: ). I also drink ALOT of water on a daily basis.

General Advice:

The most effective way to bulk up is to KEEP IT SIMPLE. As brother Hassan said, compound movements + good diet + 8-10 hours sleep = MASS. IFBB Pro Lee Priest once said ''It's not rocket science!'' (Something along those lines).

TIME, CONSISTENCY, SACRIFICE, LOTS OF GOOD FOOD, GUTS, GOOD FORM, PLENTY OF REST, MAKING WHATS WEAK STRONG, MUSCLE CONFUSION, FINDING WHAT WORKS FOR YOU, HEAVY SQUATS, MUSCLE OVERLOAD, GOOD PARTNERS AND TRAINERS, ATTITUDE,HARD WORK, LOW REPS AND HIGH REPS, INTENSITY, and a MIND OF NO LIMITS.

You are your maker - Eric 'The House' Fankhouser

Sallams.

Edited by Zakariya90

Agree with Brother Hassan...I'm talking from experience, I've been training for almost 2 years now. I started when I was 16 and my brother in law took me under his wing and showed me how to train to get BIG. Which was 'hypertrophy' basic training. From there I did my own research on nutrition and training.

I started at around 68KG Now I'm from 78KG - 80KG offseason weight. I'm still training big, eating big and sleeping big to grow. My training is very simple which is the same approach as IFBB PRO Branch Warren and IFBB PRO Johhnie Jackson (SOME OF THE STRONGEST BODYBUILDERS). 'Power building'. Rep schemes = start off with high reps then go heavier and the reps will decrease. Sometimes I go over 15 reps to shock my muscles. I train all my body parts once a week. I only do cardio around 1-2 times a week to keep the fat down a little, keep metabolism going and of course to stay healthy. I've never been in 'On Season' which is getting ripped, I've still got a lot of growing to do, I aint settling for anything less. As for nutrition, I try to eat at least 6 meals a day, I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, healthy fats such as nuts, flaxseed oil. Carbs such as brown rice, potatoe, pasta...etc. Protein such as chicken, beef, meat, fish (I'm planning to eat that 3 times a week, this year I've only been eating it once a week, one of my new years resolution for 09 :lol: ). I also drink ALOT of water on a daily basis.

General Advice:

The most effective way to bulk up is to KEEP IT SIMPLE. As brother Hassan said, compound movements + good diet + 8-10 hours sleep = MASS. IFBB Pro Lee Priest once said ''It's not rocket science!'' (Something along those lines).

You are your maker - Eric 'The House' Fankhouser

Sallams.

Ws bro,

Beautiful post, looks like you have it all sorted.

Keep up the good work, you're only 18! I didn't even start till I was 1 year older than you.

Plenty of time on your side.

Has.

Ws bro,

Beautiful post, looks like you have it all sorted.

Keep up the good work, you're only 18! I didn't even start till I was 1 year older than you.

Plenty of time on your side.

Has.

So now I have finally got those 6 packs.. There is a problem thought.. How do I maintain them without getting a lousy 8 pack..

Salaam everyone,

Sorry I haven't really updated this thread, have been busy/sick etc.

Anyways, a very interesting comment by the wonderful Shiekh Jehad (forward to 13mins) :

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xfasdhjEO8c&...feature=related

That is my new reason to get massive and I have never thought of it like that, it gives me new motivation....:) :yaali:

The best Casein Protein is Metabolic Drive (t-Nation.com) in Strawberry - Mix this with Milk and its better then drinking a milkshake. For post workout i use Natures best 30gm mixed with 70gm Dextrose. Cheap and very effective.

Bro there is no one magic rep range.

Some people respond to higher reps, some people respond to lower reps.

4-6 is a good range, so is 6-8......and what about legs? 20 reps are ideal for leg growth.....so clearly, no fixed range.

lol i have done those

20 reps x 5 sets - Try walking after that. Your legs feel like jelly.

The best Casein Protein is Metabolic Drive (t-Nation.com) in Strawberry - Mix this with Milk and its better then drinking a milkshake. For post workout i use Natures best 30gm mixed with 70gm Dextrose. Cheap and very effective.

lol i have done those

20 reps x 5 sets - Try walking after that. Your legs feel like jelly.

Haven't sampled Metabolic Drive as of yet......

20 rep squats for 5 sets! Bro you aren't going heavy enough, I can manage 2 at best! Do HEAVY 20 rep squats, you should feel on the verge of death after each set, personally my hands go numb, i get pins and needles, my lower back gets very tight and legs turn to jelly.........but boy do I love the feeling. :)

(salam)

Brother...

I've been bodybuilding for the past 8 - 9 years, however, only recently I've become concerned about the ingredients in my supplements.

Could you tell me, which protein powders are halal and safe to consume?

After a while of being very lazy about working out (on and off, not sticking to shedule, etc), I've recently gotten back into it full time. Its been a few months now, and I've seen some major improvements, but I'm starting to have some concerns.

In terms of diet, I'm on a high-fiber, high-protein diet, with plenty of whole grains, spinach, fruits and veggies, fish, chicken breast, and lean meats. I do my best to stay away from red meat, I've dropped dairy products (I drink soy milk and don't consume yogurt or cheese), and I only eat eggs once a week on weekends. I also never eat junk food, chocolate, or sweets. I don't use butter or margarine while cooking, opting for tiny amounts of olive oil or grape seed oil (when light frying is necessary), and I boil or grill my food whenever I can.

In terms of exercise, my daily routine is as follows:

Day 1:

5-mile run at a pace of 8 minutes a mile

Bench Press, 3 sets of 10

Incline Bench Press, 3 sets of 10

Decline Bench Press, 3 sets of 10

Dumbbell Bench Press, 3 sets of 10

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, 3 sets of 10

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press, 3 sets of 10

Then I hit the machines, using 3 different machines to work out mainly the chest, along with shoulders, triceps and biceps (secondarily).

Finish off with 4 sets of 25 decline sit-ups

Pull ups until I expire

Push ups until I expire

Day 2:

Seated Bicep Curls, 3 sets of 10

Tricep Pulldown, 3 sets of 10

Standing Barbell Curls, 3 sets of 10

Barbell Tricep Extensions (laying on a bench), 3 sets of 10

Standing Bicep Curls, with dumbbells held vertically, 3 sets of 10

Standing Tricep Extentions with dumbbells, 3 sets of 10

Dips, 3 sets of 8

Forearm curls, palms up, 3 sets of 25

Forearm curls, palms down, 3 sets of 25

Pull ups until I expire

Push ups until I expire

Day 3:

Barbell Shoulder Press, 3 sets of 10

Dumbell Lateral Raises to the sides, 3 sets of 10

Dumbell Shoulder Press, 3 sets of 10

Lateral Pulldown using machine, 3 sets of 10

Lateral Raises to the front, using machine, 3 sets of 10

Calf press using machine, 3 sets of 25

Barbell Squats, 3 sets of 15

Standing Calf Raise with Barbell on shoulders, 3 sets of 15

Leg Press, 3 sets of 15

Pull ups until I expire

Push ups until I expire

Day 4:

Crunches, 3 sets of 25

Side sit-ups, 3 sets of 26 alternating from side to side

Sit-ups, 3 sets fo 25

Now my goals from working out are three-fold: Build endurance, tone up, and build muscle. My concern is whether all the running (basically 40 minutes a day, at a pretty fast pace) is counter productive to building muscle. I am not over-weight, and in fact would prefer it if I continue putting on muscle mass as I continue working out. When I started, I quickly put on about 8 pounds the first two months, basically all muscle mass since I had very little excess fat to begin with. The third month, I only put on two pounds, so what gives? I'm pretty sure that I'm eating enough, and as for supplements, the only thing that I'm taking is 4.4 gram amino acid supplements daily. I'm still 10 lbs shy of my target weight, so what kind of changes to my routine and diet should I make to get there?

Now my goals from working out are three-fold: Build endurance, tone up, and build muscle. My concern is whether all the running (basically 40 minutes a day, at a pretty fast pace) is counter productive to building muscle. I am not over-weight, and in fact would prefer it if I continue putting on muscle mass as I continue working out. When I started, I quickly put on about 8 pounds the first two months, basically all muscle mass since I had very little excess fat to begin with. The third month, I only put on two pounds, so what gives? I'm pretty sure that I'm eating enough, and as for supplements, the only thing that I'm taking is 4.4 gram amino acid supplements daily. I'm still 10 lbs shy of my target weight, so what kind of changes to my routine and diet should I make to get there?

(salam)

The first thing you need is a plan of action (which you have). You need to know what you want your body to look like and what gains/losses you want to make. Since you mentioned that you have very little excess fat to begin with, I would recommend that you tone down the cardio and focus more on weight lifting. Eventually, you should progress towards heavy weights and low reps. Another thing you might want to consider are "bulk-and-cut" cycles. While working out, you will need to constantly change up your routines for maximum results (this will shock your body and keep the gains coming more consistently). I would recommend changing up your routine every 4-6 weeks. Now, this doesn't mean you need to completely revamp your workout. Changing up your routine includes hitting different body parts on different days, splitting up your workouts differently, and doing different exercises.

But as someone who has been bodybuilding for over 5 years now, I can definitely tell you not to sweat your "stagnating" progress. When you start weight-training, you usually have an initial period of rapid growth - the first month or so - where you will put on more weight/muscle than normal. But as Br. Hassan has said, the general rule is that you cannot bulk and cut at the same time; you cannot go for mass while at the same time burning fat. Now, it may happen that your biceps/triceps muscles will penetrate the fatty tissues around your arms, but this will not really change your overall body fat composition. Generally, your focus should be on BULKING (weight-gain) or on CUTTING (fat-burn/weight-loss). So, I would recommend that you start cycling that way. However, this doesn't mean that you drop the weights when you cut. Of course, working your muscles is one of the best ways for you to lean-up, since muscle eats fat. But the manner in which you lift the weights will be different - your approach will be more "endurance-based," if you will; instead of heavier weights and lower reps, you will lift moderate weights with higher reps. That, along with lots of cardio, should help you lean down (this is also how you get your abs to show, supplemented with crunches).

When you bulk, you should limit your cardio. It seems that you really like to do cardio, and that your goals probably aren't geared towards maximum size. However, with your (leaner) body-type, I would recommend limiting cardio to once or twice a week (or even just a few short warm-ups during your bulk phase). Even with my size (around 210 lbs), I hardly do any cardio while bulking. Along with that, you need to hit the weights hard. Get outside of your comfort zone and stick to free weights/dumbells/barbells when possible. Instead of doing 3 sets of 10, do 3 sets of 6 (or even less). I've been getting insane results by actually doing 5 sets for each exercise. It isn't something I'd recommend early on, but it's definitely something to keep in mind later. You shouldn't be in the gym longer than 90 minutes (and even that is a bit excessive for weight-lifting). Keep your lifts intense with low reps and take lots of time to rest during the week (i.e., don't work out 7 days a week).

When you bulk, you should eat 5-6 meals a day (same goes for cutting). Your food looks good - you and I have a lot in common with respect to food preparation. I probably avoid dairy more than I should, and don't enjoy meat. I love my fibres and eat chicken sometimes for breakfast (:lol:). Perhaps you could check out some calorie calculators online. If you need to eat 2000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, eat over 3000 (I would recommend a lot more than that if you want to really grow). Split these calories up into 5 or 6 meals. If you enjoyed more greasy food, I would even say that with your body type you could "dirty-bulk" for a while and it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, so long as you are eating lots and putting on mass.

But with your body type, it seems as if you could afford the excess calories while cutting on the cardio. Your mindset should be geared towards weight-gain. If you have a spotter, I would recommend cycling in some negatives during your routine (a negative is when you hold a weight heavier than you are able to lift

"positively" on your own for as long as possible repeatedly). But in order to keep the gains coming, focus on these:

- change/alter your routine every 4-6 weeks

- alternate bulking and cutting phases (for your body type, you could probably prolong your bulking phase a lot longer during the fall/winter). You can actually bulk whenever the hell you want (I've been known to bulk during the summer and cut during the winter :lol:).

- keep your weightlifting workouts short (45-90 mins MAX)

- get outside of your comfort zone while lifting

- consider implementing negatives when you really stagnate (but this shouldn't be done all week long)

- keep eating lots and don't get discouraged when your progress slows - it happens to all of us

Edited by asphyxiated

(salam)

The first thing you need is a plan of action (which you have). You need to know what you want your body to look like and what gains/losses you want to make. Since you mentioned that you have very little excess fat to begin with, I would recommend that you tone down the cardio and focus more on weight lifting. Eventually, you should progress towards heavy weights and low reps. Another thing you might want to consider are "bulk-and-cut" cycles. While working out, you will need to constantly change up your routines for maximum results (this will shock your body and keep the gains coming more consistently). I would recommend changing up your routine every 4-6 weeks. Now, this doesn't mean you need to completely revamp your workout. Changing up your routine includes hitting different body parts on different days, splitting up your workouts differently, and doing different exercises.

But as someone who has been bodybuilding for over 5 years now, I can definitely tell you not to sweat your "stagnating" progress. When you start weight-training, you usually have an initial period of rapid growth - the first month or so - where you will put on more weight/muscle than normal. But as Br. Hassan has said, the general rule is that you cannot bulk and cut at the same time; you cannot go for mass while at the same time burning fat. Now, it may happen that your biceps/triceps muscles will penetrate the fatty tissues around your arms, but this will not really change your overall body fat composition. Generally, your focus should be on BULKING (weight-gain) or on CUTTING (fat-burn/weight-loss). So, I would recommend that you start cycling that way. However, this doesn't mean that you drop the weights when you cut. Of course, working your muscles is one of the best ways for you to lean-up, since muscle eats fat. But the manner in which you lift the weights will be different - your approach will be more "endurance-based," if you will; instead of heavier weights and lower reps, you will lift moderate weights with higher reps. That, along with lots of cardio, should help you lean down (this is also how you get your abs to show, supplemented with crunches).

When you bulk, you should limit your cardio. It seems that you really like to do cardio, and that your goals probably aren't geared towards maximum size. However, with your (leaner) body-type, I would recommend limiting cardio to once or twice a week (or even just a few short warm-ups during your bulk phase). Even with my size (around 210 lbs), I hardly do any cardio while bulking. Along with that, you need to hit the weights hard. Get outside of your comfort zone and stick to free weights/dumbells/barbells when possible. Instead of doing 3 sets of 10, do 3 sets of 6 (or even less). I've been getting insane results by actually doing 5 sets for each exercise. It isn't something I'd recommend early on, but it's definitely something to keep in mind later. You shouldn't be in the gym longer than 90 minutes (and even that is a bit excessive for weight-lifting). Keep your lifts intense with low reps and take lots of time to rest during the week (i.e., don't work out 7 days a week).

When you bulk, you should eat 5-6 meals a day (same goes for cutting). Your food looks good - you and I have a lot in common with respect to food preparation. I probably avoid dairy more than I should, and don't enjoy meat. I love my fibres and eat chicken sometimes for breakfast (:lol:). Perhaps you could check out some calorie calculators online. If you need to eat 2000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, eat over 3000 (I would recommend a lot more than that if you want to really grow). Split these calories up into 5 or 6 meals. If you enjoyed more greasy food, I would even say that with your body type you could "dirty-bulk" for a while and it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, so long as you are eating lots and putting on mass.

But with your body type, it seems as if you could afford the excess calories while cutting on the cardio. Your mindset should be geared towards weight-gain. If you have a spotter, I would recommend cycling in some negatives during your routine (a negative is when you hold a weight heavier than you are able to lift

"positively" on your own for as long as possible repeatedly). But in order to keep the gains coming, focus on these:

- change/alter your routine every 4-6 weeks

- alternate bulking and cutting phases (for your body type, you could probably prolong your bulking phase a lot longer during the fall/winter). You can actually bulk whenever the hell you want (I've been known to bulk during the summer and cut during the winter :lol:).

- keep your weightlifting workouts short (45-90 mins MAX)

- get outside of your comfort zone while lifting

- consider implementing negatives when you really stagnate (but this shouldn't be done all week long)

- keep eating lots and don't get discouraged when your progress slows - it happens to all of us

Salaam bro,

Overall excellent post!

Good to see a couple of guys who know their stuff helping me out here.

Hassan.

Sallam akhs,

Thanks Br Hassan for the video, appreciate it. It's good to see you brothers lifting for the love of Imam Ali (a.s.).

Keep lifting and Inshallah you all achieve your goals.

Remeber to always stay humble...

Wasallam.

The best way to push yourself is islam.. your exhausted and then you be like there are 14 masumeen so 14 more! or 72 in karbala 72 more. 99 names of Allah 99 more! 313 in badr and with imam e zamana 313 more!

Hmm, try squatting 313 reps.

Lemme know how you go! :Hijabi:

i need to start gym agen lol grrr...gettin lazier man nt good.. Insh'Allah will get bak to it soon.. :P :unsure:

Have you been doing the thrusters?

Make sure you get back into it ASAP and take it easy on the pratahs :P

wat are thrusters :unsure: i hope u aint tld me ths before.. coz thn u'll jus get a chance to tak the mik *rollin eyez*

lol excusee moiii i can make em bt i dnt relly eat em.. i aint had em in agessssssssss.... u jus reminded me.. hmmm... lol na i wnt hav em yet.. meant to be havin milkshake 2dai thou loll :D umm tht counts as one of the treats u sed i cud hav! :angel:

Have you been doing the thrusters?

Make sure you get back into it ASAP and take it easy on the pratahs :P

Salaam everyone,

Sorry I haven't really updated this thread, have been busy/sick etc.

Anyways, a very interesting comment by the wonderful Shiekh Jehad (forward to 13mins) :

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xfasdhjEO8c&...feature=related

That is my new reason to get massive and I have never thought of it like that, it gives me new motivation....:) :yaali:

You better stop "body building" then and do some real training. :lol:

In all seriousness, do you think Imam Mahdi (ra) is going to ask to see how big your biceps are or how much you can squat? Perhaps you think he will ask about what are your fat percentages or whether or not you consumed 6 meals today? Maybe the battlefield will have a protein rich diet and 6 meals waiting for us. :lol:

Like warriors of Muslim armies in the past I would assume that first and foremost He (ra) will be looking for individuals with complete and utter submittance to Allah and following his commandments.

With sincere and pure hearts can come the Nasr of Allah. This is not to neglect the physical conditioning that one should have to be such a representative.

But being physically conditioned for battle is a lot different than being a bodybuilder. Two guys same weight. One is a lean mean bodybuilding machine and the other is a fighter, trained in the disciplines necessary for combat and likewise the physical conditioning that is specific. He may not look the part and may carry some more fat but guaranteed, the bodybuilder is not going to win.

Even with a physically well rounded fighter, the man with a heart turned to Allah will win over him should the fighters heart be soiled. All it takes is the raising of the palms for Allah's nasr to come down for Allah says "Whoever hurts a friend (Wali of Allah) of mine, I declare war on him!" This hadith qudsi trumps all physicality hands down.

You better stop "body building" then and do some real training. :lol:

In all seriousness, do you think Imam Mahdi (ra) is going to ask to see how big your biceps are or how much you can squat? Perhaps you think he will ask about what are your fat percentages or whether or not you consumed 6 meals today? Maybe the battlefield will have a protein rich diet and 6 meals waiting for us. :lol:

Like warriors of Muslim armies in the past I would assume that first and foremost He (ra) will be looking for individuals with complete and utter submittance to Allah and following his commandments.

With sincere and pure hearts can come the Nasr of Allah. This is not to neglect the physical conditioning that one should have to be such a representative.

But being physically conditioned for battle is a lot different than being a bodybuilder. Two guys same weight. One is a lean mean bodybuilding machine and the other is a fighter, trained in the disciplines necessary for combat and likewise the physical conditioning that is specific. He may not look the part and may carry some more fat but guaranteed, the bodybuilder is not going to win.

Even with a physically well rounded fighter, the man with a heart turned to Allah will win over him should the fighters heart be soiled. All it takes is the raising of the palms for Allah's nasr to come down for Allah says "Whoever hurts a friend (Wali of Allah) of mine, I declare war on him!" This hadith qudsi trumps all physicality hands down.

Interesting points you make bro. I like the sarcasm.....

I agree, it is more than physical conditioning, but some sort of physical conditioning would be necessary. Most Muslims are out of shape, that was perhaps my point. Not to be a bodybuilder, but for all Muslim men to be at least fit and in good physical condition. This is the case in daily life too, I mean, some non-Muslims would look to harass a Muslim if they can, if you are physically fit and in good shape, they will think twice. So I think the respected Sheikh was saying, rather than train for girls, or looks alone (which is why most guys do it), train for a higher purpose. Something meaningful.

In terms of battle strategy I really haven't look into it, but I believe you are right, given that the greatest Islamic warrior we have ever seen (Imam Ali as) was also as close to Allah as possible. But I will suggest you can't rely solely on Allah in certain circumstances, a hadith of our Holy Prophet (SAWS) "Always have faith in Allah, but always tie up your Camel." Why not have the best of both worlds, be in good shape as well as have a strong faith.

wat are thrusters :unsure: i hope u aint tld me ths before.. coz thn u'll jus get a chance to tak the mik *rollin eyez*

lol excusee moiii i can make em bt i dnt relly eat em.. i aint had em in agessssssssss.... u jus reminded me.. hmmm... lol na i wnt hav em yet.. meant to be havin milkshake 2dai thou loll :D umm tht counts as one of the treats u sed i cud hav! :angel:

Funny how you forget what Tabata Thrusters are, yet you remember the concept of cheat meals all too well. LULZ.

Edited by Hassan2jz

Interesting points you make bro. I like the sarcasm.....

I agree, it is more than physical conditioning, but some sort of physical conditioning would be necessary. Most Muslims are out of shape, that was perhaps my point. Not to be a bodybuilder, but for all Muslim men to be at least fit and in good physical condition. This is the case in daily life too, I mean, some non-Muslims would look to harass a Muslim if they can, if you are physically fit and in good shape, they will think twice. So I think the respected Sheikh was saying, rather than train for girls, or looks alone (which is why most guys do it), train for a higher purpose. Something meaningful.

In terms of battle strategy I really haven't look into it, but I believe you are right, given that the greatest Islamic warrior we have ever seen (Imam Ali as) was also as close to Allah as possible. But I will suggest you can't rely solely on Allah in certain circumstances, a hadith of our Holy Prophet (SAWS) "Always have faith in Allah, but always tie up your Camel." Why not have the best of both worlds, be in good shape as well as have a strong faith.

Haha, come on... thought you had thicker skin than that. Wasn't that bad.

But yeh, listening to the Sheikh I also don't think he really knows how non transitional merely pumping weights can be to useful and applicable specificity of battle. Having said that, someone who is in shape as you mention, even if only superficially and visually is in a much better position and their mindset will only need minor adjustment to transition into full throttle battle conditioning.

I think you may have worded the last paragraph incorrectly but I get the gist of what you mean. The part in bold however should read that You can always rely on Allah in every circumstance and reliance shouldn't be situational or conditional. Tawakul should always be there irrespective but the concerted effort does need to come forth as the Prophet also said " A strong (both physically and spiritually) believer is better than a weak (physically and spiritually) believer.

I guess what it boils down to is the relevance of strength here and what is appropriate for the higher purpose of insha'Allah being part of the Mahdi's army.

Part of the "tie" the Prophet (saw) refers to is actually performing the proper act necessary to hold the horse in place.

Re: Imam Ali (ra), there is no doubt that his asceticism and gnosis came from abstinence and spiritual exercises and regime. His physical strength was enhanced because of his devotion to physical acts such as wrestling as it is well known he was only defeated by the Prophet (saw) in that beautiful story he relates and the rest of his unbelievable strength is without doubt divinely granted.

Haha, come on... thought you had thicker skin than that. Wasn't that bad.

But yeh, listening to the Sheikh I also don't think he really knows how non transitional merely pumping weights can be to useful and applicable specificity of battle. Having said that, someone who is in shape as you mention, even if only superficially and visually is in a much better position and their mindset will only need minor adjustment to transition into full throttle battle conditioning.

I think you may have worded the last paragraph incorrectly but I get the gist of what you mean. The part in bold however should read that You can always rely on Allah in every circumstance and reliance shouldn't be situational or conditional. Tawakul should always be there irrespective but the concerted effort does need to come forth as the Prophet also said " A strong (both physically and spiritually) believer is better than a weak (physically and spiritually) believer.

I guess what it boils down to is the relevance of strength here and what is appropriate for the higher purpose of insha'Allah being part of the Mahdi's army.

Part of the "tie" the Prophet (saw) refers to is actually performing the proper act necessary to hold the horse in place.

Re: Imam Ali (ra), there is no doubt that his asceticism and gnosis came from abstinence and spiritual exercises and regime. His physical strength was enhanced because of his devotion to physical acts such as wrestling as it is well known he was only defeated by the Prophet (saw) in that beautiful story he relates and the rest of his unbelievable strength is without doubt divinely granted.

hehe nah I wasn't upset at all, I was just LOL'ing at the extent of sarcasm.

Agree with your post though, I guess my point was, while you should have faith in Allah, you shouldn't neglect your duties and hope for the best. I.e The Camel hadith.

Hassan ji thts human nature... easy way fr life :wub: n u neva tld me bout none of ths tabata thrusters.. huh ilzaaming fr no reason man... :squeez:

Funny how you forget what Tabata Thrusters are, yet you remember the concept of cheat meals all too well. LULZ.

Hassan ji thts human nature... easy way fr life :wub: n u neva tld me bout none of ths tabata thrusters.. huh ilzaaming fr no reason man... :squeez:

Ok. Now I have taught you them again, I bet you STILL haven't done them.

lol i dint watch the video lolllllll... sorry man i crossed the convo by accident n lost the link.. ummmm n forgot to ask agen.. aite nxt time i tlk to ya u gimme the link n i promise i'll watch it lol :blush: hehehe! :P

I found this video inspirational, The Strongest Man (Olympic lifter) that ever lived, an Iranian Muslim, Hossien Rezazadeh:

He is a very religious man and is a national hero in Iran, his wedding was broadcast live on TV direct from Mecca.

I love how he always says Ya Allah before lifting and how he does Sajda when he wins a comp. His slogan is Ya Abul Fadl (Hazrat Abbas, who like his father was known for his strength.) He refused a very lucrative offer to lift for Turkey.

Too bad he is retired now, pulled out of Beijing in 2008 due to injury, given the results, he would have mauled everyone again.

More about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossein_Reza_Zadeh

Edited by Hassan2jz

Have had a few PMs on how to get a "wider" look.

This effect occurs by virtue of:

a: having a wide back.

b: having broad (big) shoulders.

As we know, build your back with deadlifts, bent over rows etc. Focus on the lats.

Shoulders, simply millitary press, clean and press etc.

You can do a specilisation workout to specifically create more width, however, your body frame and bone structure may be a limiting factor.

Further a specilisation period is only recomended for advanced trainers.

Edited by Hassan2jz

Salaam,

I am no expert on this but I have a question and would like some opinion from people with experience.

If you don't eat anything at all, there is literally ZERO calorie intake (i.e. brocolli, green veg, green tea) and you do this for a very long time, at the same time you do cardio and weights regularly, and I mean hard training.

What would happen?

Wasalaam

Salaam,

I am no expert on this but I have a question and would like some opinion from people with experience.

If you don't eat anything at all, there is literally ZERO calorie intake (i.e. brocolli, green veg, green tea) and you do this for a very long time, at the same time you do cardio and weights regularly, and I mean hard training.

What would happen?

Wasalaam

WaSalaam

Muscle wastage. You would be better of eating limited calories, primarily from protein sources.

The method you suggest would result in the loss of more muscle than fat.

Hassan.

borther Hassan,

have u had any expertise with ectomorphs ?

to what extent can ectomorphs get?

thanks, fi aman Allah

Plenty Brother, I will post in more detail tomorrow, a bit sleepy now!

borther Hassan,

have u had any expertise with ectomorphs ?

to what extent can ectomorphs get?

thanks, fi aman Allah

Salaam brother,

Apologies for the late reply.

An ectomorph generally needs to work a lot harder to put on mass (i.e eat a lot more!)

However, the benefit of being an ectomorph is that any size that is put on is in most cases pure, lean muscle (read, no need to cut!)

There are 2 approaches you can take:

1: Dirty bulk: Eat anything and everything. Junk food etc, it is all good. Keep the protein high and hopefully you won't get fat (however, depending on how ecto you are, this might not be a feasible option for long, it certainly isn't a long term solution given the implications on general health, but it is a good way to build that initial platform.)

2: Clean bulk: Eat only lean protein sources, keeping carbs and fat in check. This would mean eating a LOT of this food and often. This is sustainable in the long run and will not have negative implications on your health. In your case, I would suggest an initial dirty bulk, phase that off to a clean bulk down the track.

Now it will be difficult to eat a lot of food, so some tricks for weight gain include:

- Drinking high energy protein shakes.

- Eating Peanut Butter sandwiches.

- Drinking plenty of milk.

More on the shakes later......

In terms of training, it is the same, stick to the key compound movements, make sure you bench, deadlift, squat, millitary press etc. Keep the intensity up, but do not train too often, as an ectomorph more emphasis must be given on recovery.

WS

Hassan.

Edited by Hassan2jz

Bro that's awesome! Where did you get it from?

I'd love to wear that while squatting! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

salaam Hasan

sorry for the late reply. i've been out of town. I bought the t shirt from an a U.S company named Zazzle. i found them completely reliable in responding to orders. check out this link:

http://www.zazzle.com/ya_ab_al_fadl_tshirt...287071084511955