Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haji 2003

Ostrich Farming In Iran

A team of chefs and their assistants will gather in Mellat park in central Tehran tomorrow to prepare what is being billed as the world's biggest ostrich sandwich, consisting of 1,000kg (2,205lb) of meat and stretching to a length of 1,500 metres.

The venture is being organised by Tehran city council along with industrial ostrich farms and food and catering groups to promote the bird's meat as a popular delicacy in a country whose carnivorous tastes are largely confined to beef, lamb and, occasionally, camel.

Organisers say they want to create a new healthy eating culture and extol ostrich meat as low in fat and high in protein and iron. Ostrich is said to possess half the fat content of chicken and around one-third that of beef.

The country is the world's third largest breeder, after South Africa and China. There are believed to be around 130 Iranian ostrich farms, with local experts insisting that the country possesses the world's best climatic conditions for breeding.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/1...an-foodanddrink

Impressive to see this, AIUI ostrich farming is not easy. I've had an interest from a health p.o.v. Might get big export markets as well.

Whatever the reason, Iran's eccentric bid to set a world record for making the biggest-ever ostrich sandwich appeared to end in failure today after the evidence was eaten by the hungry watching crowds.

But as soon as their task was completed, popular enthusiasm overwhelmed the need for attention to detail as crowds began devouring the snack before its measurements could be verified.

Besides setting records, the long-term goal was to create a new cultural appetite for ostrich, which is lower in fat and cholesterol than other meats traditionally popular in Iran. Today's overwhelming response may indicate that the promoters have succeeded more quickly in that aim than they dared hope.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/1...record-sandwich

I wonder if it tastes like chicken :D

Bro it tastes like beef....mmm. beef...

While ostrich meat is described as a red meat, and is said to have all of the texture and taste of beef, it has 40% less fat. Like red meat, it is rich in protein and iron, yet is lower in fat, calories, and cholesterol than either skinless chicken or turkey, which are traditonally presented as viable alternatives to red meat.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-ostrich-meat-healthy.htm

How in tarnation does chicken qualify as being an alternative to beef???

Anyway I have just had a tuna steak (fresh, not out of a can and not out of Costco either) for lunch, must say that's the healthiest tasteful alternative I can think of.

Ostrich is going to be on my must-do list, next time I go to Iran, and I hope to have a special section on my website as well.

A team of chefs and their assistants will gather in Mellat park in central Tehran tomorrow to prepare what is being billed as the world's biggest ostrich sandwich, consisting of 1,000kg (2,205lb) of meat and stretching to a length of 1,500 metres.

And the result.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...d.html?ITO=1490

Bid to create world's largest sandwich in Iran fails after crowd eats it before it can be measured

By Niall Firth

Last updated at 3:06 PM on 17th October 2008

The meat had been cooked, the sandwich almost assembled and assorted Guinness Book of Records dignitaries were patiently waiting by to give it their official stamp of approval.

But cooks in Iran were left in despair after their bid to create the world's longest sandwich failed when the crowd started eating it before it could be measured.

Event organisers had planned to stuff the 1,500-metre-long sandwich with 700 kg of ostrich meat and 700 kg of chicken, and display it in a park in the capital Tehran.

But as the sandwich was being measured, chaos ensued.

The giant snack was gone in minutes, leaving the three Guinness representatives with a problem.

One of the event’s organisers said video footage of the sandwich would be sent to Guinness officials.

"We still think the sandwich will be recorded in the Guinness book because of all the evidence and footage that we will send them," claimed Parvin Shariati.

The stunt had been organised to encourage Iranians to eat a healthier diet.

Ostrich meat is far leaner than much of the Iranian diet with as half as much fat as chicken, lots of iron, and very little cholesterol - as well as being extremely tasty.

Ooof! Didn't Ramadhan teach them anything about patience? :wacko: :lol:

Edited by Salaam1

Whatever the reason, Iran's eccentric bid to set a world record for making the biggest-ever ostrich sandwich appeared to end in failure today after the evidence was eaten by the hungry watching crowds.

But as soon as their task was completed, popular enthusiasm overwhelmed the need for attention to detail as crowds began devouring the snack before its measurements could be verified.

Besides setting records, the long-term goal was to create a new cultural appetite for ostrich, which is lower in fat and cholesterol than other meats traditionally popular in Iran. Today's overwhelming response may indicate that the promoters have succeeded more quickly in that aim than they dared hope.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/1...record-sandwich

That is a world record in itself for feeding so many at one go from a single sandwich.

BTW are ostrichs halaal.

Ya Ali Madad

BTW are ostrichs halaal.

Ya Ali Madad

No bro they are not halal, that's why the flippin' Tehran council is promoting this in a fanfare of publicity.

Of course it's halal. Sheesh.

(salam)

I saw this event in the Rachel Maddow show. The funny part was the people who came to watch ate all the sandwich. :!!!: They are hoping the video recording is enough to break the word record which was held previously by Italy. ^_^