Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
El-shia

Lowering Your Gaze..?

Rate this topic

Can someone explain that to me one more time?

I mean does that mean do not look at women at all? I mean thats kind of hard if you go to school in a westeren country and also rude .

and is it a wajib or is it more a kind of advise to prevent sinfull act?

Edited by El-shia

No dude!

Allah says in the Quran {Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty} (Surat Al Noor <24:30-31>)

The Prophet said, "Beware! Avoid sitting on the roads." They (the people) said, "O Allah's Apostle! We can't help sitting (on the roads) as these are (our places) where we have talks." The Prophet said, "If you refuse but to sit, then pay the road its right." They said, "What is the right of the road, O Allah's Apostle?" He said, "Lowering your gaze, refraining from harming others, returning greeting, and enjoining what is good, and forbidding what is evil."

Don't look at someone and say 'I want that,' 'I'll tap that,' 'I'll bang that,' etc! You can look up just dont look in the way where your interested in them. If it helps you when you see girls say Allah, or recite some surahs. It's wajib to prevent the sinful acts.

According to Ayatollah Sistani:

2442. It is haraam for man to look at the body or hair of the Non-Mahram women, regardless of whether it is with the intention of pleasure or not, and whether there is a fear of falling into sinful act or not. It is also haraam to look at the faces and the arms, upto the wrists, of such women with the intention of pleasure, or if there is fear of falling into sinful act, and the recommended precaution is that one should not look at their faces or arms even without such an intention.

Similarly, it is haraam for a woman to look at the body of Non-Mahram man, except places which are customarily not covered, like, his face, hands, head, neck and feet. She can look at these parts of a man without the intention of deriving any pleasure, or if there is no fear of being entrapped in any sinful act.

2443. To look at the body of a woman who would not care for Hijab, even if she were advised, is not haraam, provided that it does not lead to sinful act or sexual pleasure, and excitement, nor is it with that intention; and in this rule, there is no distinction between a Muslim and a non-Muslim woman; and also between those parts, like their faces, their hands which they normally do not cover, and other parts of their bodies.

Edited by dingdong

There is a hadith that says something like...Isa says don't even look at the clothing of women.

Also, relate to the story of Musa and Prophet Shoayb's daughters and how it's said that Musa walked in front and says to the women to throw a rock in the direction in which you want me to turn then something like I come from a family where we don't look at the figure of the women.

Edited by gogiison2

Thanks for your answers you all.

2442. It is haraam for man to look at the body or hair of the Non-Mahram women, regardless of whether it is with the intention of pleasure or not, and whether there is a fear of falling into sinful act or not. It is also haraam to look at the faces and the arms, upto the wrists, of such women with the intention of pleasure, or if there is fear of falling into sinful act, and the recommended precaution is that one should not look at their faces or arms even without such an intention.

Similarly, it is haraam for a woman to look at the body of Non-Mahram man, except places which are customarily not covered, like, his face, hands, head, neck and feet. She can look at these parts of a man without the intention of deriving any pleasure, or if there is no fear of being entrapped in any sinful act.

2443. To look at the body of a woman who would not care for Hijab, even if she were advised, is not haraam, provided that it does not lead to sinful act or sexual pleasure, and excitement, nor is it with that intention; and in this rule, there is no distinction between a Muslim and a non-Muslim woman; and also between those parts, like their faces, their hands which they normally do not cover, and other parts of their bodies.

Thats what I mean I mean if I can't even look at the women her arms its practicly impossible sinfull intention or no sinfull intention , it was that ''rule'' that Sistani said that bothered me on how to work with it.

I dont agree with this.

^Why is it haram to shake hands with or touch a non-mahram woman, even when there is no sexual attraction/thoughts/interest? Why is it haram to even approach alcohol? The idea is prevention. Islam in its wisdom recognises that one thing leads to another and that the preliminary steps to major sins should also be avoided rather than expecting people (who are driven by their desires) to have the willpower to refrain from such major sins once already placed in very difficult and tempting situations.

Islam doesn't expect you to blind yourself whilst you walk. Obviously, accidental looks are not haram. The point is to not continue to look.

wasalaam

Edited by ~RuQaYaH~

2443.[b] To look at the body of a woman who would not care for Hijab, even if she were advised, is not haraam, provided that it does not lead to sinful act or sexual pleasure, and excitement, nor is it with that intention; and in this rule, there is no distinction between a Muslim and a non-Muslim woman; and also between those parts, like their faces, their hands which they normally do not cover, and other parts of their bodies.

This seems contradictory to me. Do you see what I see?

Edited by gogiison2

^The sentence continues putting a condition 'provided that it does not lead to sinful act or sexual pleasure, and excitement, nor is it with that intention;'.

I have teachers in school who dont wear hijab and dont care for it. I look at them directly as my look does not 'lead to sinful act or sexual pleasure, and excitement, nor is it with that intention'.

I think the first fatwa is for women who wear hijab (default) and the 2nd one is for those who do not care for hijab (deviation from default).

Edited by dingdong

^The sentence continues putting a condition 'provided that it does not lead to sinful act or sexual pleasure, and excitement, nor is it with that intention;'.

I have teachers in school who dont wear hijab and dont care for it. I look at them directly as my look does not 'lead to sinful act or sexual pleasure, and excitement, nor is it with that intention'.

I think the first fatwa is for women who wear hijab (default) and the 2nd one is for those who do not care for hijab (deviation from default).

If the first fatwa is for the hijab wearing sister, how are we seeing her hair? Ask the website or scholar because this seems a clear contradiction. My understanding is that if you look at a women without negative intent, like in your example of school, or even a job interview in the west, that it should be permissible and I think if you avoid looking at the women it is mustahad and inshaAllah we will be rewarded. Even with job interviews we don't need to stare at the women either so I don't want people to think that this is what I'm implying, and if you see the women regularly at work you can explain to them at a feasible time how islam regards looking at women. I find that it helps the non muslims understand and even after you explain, they will not always look at you, so please help them understand our pure religion.

Edited by gogiison2

^I think the first fatwa is about women who by default are hijabis and usually take hijab while the 2nd fatwa is for those who generally dont take hijab and dont care for it. It could be that a hijabi lady is adjusting her hijab while thinking no one is there so if you look at her by mistake and know she is hijabi then you should lower your gaze even though her hair is exposed.

^I think the first fatwa is about women who by default are hijabis and usually take hijab while the 2nd fatwa is for those who generally dont take hijab and dont care for it. It could be that a hijabi lady is adjusting her hijab while thinking no one is there so if you look at her by mistake and know she is hijabi then you should lower your gaze even though her hair is exposed.

Brother there is too many "ifs" and "thinks" here. They should clarify in the websites so that the one's with less knowledge aren't misguided.

^Exactly so in general its haram to look at non mahrams (who are by default hijabis). But if some women are not hijabis (deviant women not normal) then it is allowed to look at them provided theres no lust and stuff.

^Exactly so in general its haram to look at non mahrams (who are by default hijabis). But if some women are not hijabis (deviant women not normal) then it is allowed to look at them provided theres no lust and stuff.

So, according to you.. the less the women wear it suddenly becomes halaal/justified to look. This is why I say in islam we need to teach with logic/Quran.

Edited by gogiison2

Salam,

I'm confused :|

How if a woman working in a mixed enviroment where she has to work with men and look at their faces (not gazing) but need to maintain a reasonable eye contact with them; is it considered Haram.

would like to have more clarity on this topic, please.

regards,

nadaa

^Respect maybe?

Now we have "Ifs, thinks, and maybes" do you see a pattern?

Salam,

I'm confused :|

How if a woman working in a mixed enviroment where she has to work with men and look at their faces (not gazing) but need to maintain a reasonable eye contact with them; is it considered Haram.

would like to have more clarity on this topic, please.

regards,

nadaa

Wa wr wb.

Please describe the work environment as best you can so that I can attempt to help inshaAllah.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I think one of the Maraji` living in Iraq or Iran should live in the west for a while..

Just to get a better understanding what life is like in the West, as opposed to life in Iraq or Iran..

If you walk into an interview and stare at the table, instead of making eye contact with the interviewer who happens to be a female, you wouldn't get the job.

That of course is only one example, let alone all the others.

Religion is not all white and black... There are certain grey areas and exceptions..

However, these grey areas and exceptions need to be detailed by the Maraji` and I think the best way to do it is by leaving the turban at home, going to a country in the West (America, Canada, UK, Australia etc) and checking things out...

Anyhow, who cares...

Regards,

Kumail

Salam,

lets say forexample that the work environment where women work along with men in the same work place. Women who assist a male supervisor or manager and had to do lots of communication and eye contacts with stakeholders and the majority are men.

You need to be in a daily contact with them either through meetings, discussions ........... or things that require clarifications of certian policies. Introduce the new comers to the whole employees ............. etc.

hope this will breifly explain what you need.

Regards,

Wa wr wb.

I want to apolagize beforehand if I'm not able to help you in any way, but the best way I could put it is to check my post #4 and post #12, because when we don't share the "light" people will most likely follow the "darkness." Just try your best, InshaAllah you'll succeed.

Edited by gogiison2

(bismillah)

(salam)

I think one of the Maraji` living in Iraq or Iran should live in the west for a while..

Just to get a better understanding what life is like in the West, as opposed to life in Iraq or Iran..

If you walk into an interview and stare at the table, instead of making eye contact with the interviewer who happens to be a female, you wouldn't get the job.

That of course is only one example, let alone all the others.

Religion is not all white and black... There are certain grey areas and exceptions..

However, these grey areas and exceptions need to be detailed by the Maraji` and I think the best way to do it is by leaving the turban at home, going to a country in the West (America, Canada, UK, Australia etc) and checking things out...

Anyhow, who cares...

Regards,

Kumail

I dont know but isnt the marjas task to tell us what the Imams (as) said? We can say that living in the west is difficult because of the clash between Islamic laws and Western culture. I dont like the notion of relaxing laws because they are impractical.

Salam,

lets say forexample that the work environment where women work along with men in the same work place. Women who assist a male supervisor or manager and had to do lots of communication and eye contacts with stakeholders and the majority are men.

You need to be in a daily contact with them either through meetings, discussions ........... or things that require clarifications of certian policies. Introduce the new comers to the whole employees ............. etc.

Regards,

If its haram or you have the fear of sinning, then leave the job. Simple. :)

i heard that first sight is allowed but you should not extend your first sight of 1 sec into 1 min. first is accidental that’s y its allowed while another is haram because that is intentionally :unsure:

there is no way that anyone should be condoning leaving their job in such volatile times...plus, islam never wants to be a burden on its followers thats why it gives us every possible tool to not only stay in the job, but to do it better than any one else, and still be successful in the eyes of Allah.

Salam,

Regards,

if u r in hijab , there is no prob at all