Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Muslim77

Mosques And Community Centers In Mississauga .

(salam)

This is my first post here :angel:

I'm really happy to find this forum which is filled with many useful topics in several fields, jazakom Allah khayran .

I'm a new immigrant in Canada, just arrived around 2 months ago, and I need your help in locating a good mosque and community center ( Shia Twelver one ) in the city of Mississauga - Ontario, I finally got setled down now, so I guess this is the right time to start searching :)

I'm from a Sunni background, and as I'm now here it is the right time to have the freedom and get to know more about my shia religion and understand it more, also to start knowing some Shia brothers and families to create some social relations :) that's why if possible help me in locating a center which conducts some teaching classes and useful activities, I also have the well to volunteer in any help or activity needed whenever my time allows ensha Allah .

Thanks for your effort and sorry for the long post . :wacko:

(salam)

I made a post on most of the centres that are in the Toronto area, I am just going to copy paste it here.

I'll just make a quick list of the different centers that are here in Toronto:

The above are more in the Central/Eastern region of Toronto. Coming towards the West end you have (these are the ones that are near you in Missisauga):

Most of the mosques also have youth organizations that are affiliated with the centre. So for example the Jaffari Centre has the Jaffari Youth, the Al Mahdi Centre has the Al Mahdi Youth, Al Hussain Centre has the Al Fajar Youth, Masumeen Youth, Afghan Youth. . .

Though most of these mosques do events in language other than English, we still do have a lot of English events in these mosques. Though I've noticed that the Khoja based centres cater for non-English speakers the best. Regardless, on Thursday nights, [talking about the mosque I go to:] besides the prayers, Dua-e-Kumail and the Ziyarah Waritha; the speech itself will be half English and then half Urdu. The Jummah sermon in the two places that I've attended Jummah in (Al Mahdi and Jaffari Centre) is in English. Also since there are youth organizations for these big centres, they take responsibility for catering the youth and holding events for them both academic and recreational (and they are in English). For example, I am on the Al Mahdi Youth Society, we hold events like speech competitions, Musabaqah (Islamic quiz competition), we have held ski trips in the past and one of our big events is the summer camp. We also hold discussion nights on certain nights like Friday night from time to time or on Tuesday after Dua-e-Tawassul we have discussions. There is another event we hold called Dusk till Dawn during Ramadhan and on New Years Eve. Almost all the big centres get an English speaker/scholar to speak in English for at least the first 10 days of Muharram. So last year we had Sheikh Hamza, Syed Modarrasi and Sheikh Hussain in town for the first 10 days of Muharram. We also have converts that come to the mosques who do not speak languages other then English for example and some of them are there at the mosque more often than others, MashAlah. Presently during the month of Ramadhan there is iftar + dua-e-Iftitah + speech every single day and the amaal are also done at the mosques in congregation.

Wassalam