Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ShahLatif

Muslims' Love For The West Coming To An End?

Rate this topic

I often hear how many in the muslim world would die to get a chance to immigrate, yet would burn an American flag on the street in a heartbeat. This so-called paradox often puzzles many - but if looked closely , it's not really a paradox. People simply love the 'easy' western life - where hard-work (or government handouts) can relieve them of many annoying issues in life they face in their native countries. To them the west is like a gigantic marketplace, where a luxurious (and relatively safe) life doesn't cost as much as it does 'back home'.. Well, all of it might change in a few years now. The western nations are now facing a major financial catastrophe, and are running short on resources to address it. If this crisis does translate into higher costs of living (and resulting political unrest), would the muslims, or any third-world dwellers be still so keen on running to the West? In my opinion, the cost of survival is much lower in the 3rd world than in places like US..

The dunya is a very alluring and attractive circus. All of us, to some degree, have been impacted by it. It's only when the 'ship' starts to go down that many start to question why they got on the ship in the first place. The 'lifeboat' is always there, though, waiting for us to 'board' and return...

It might be good to "go easy" on people. It's easy to criticize people when we ourselves are in relatively comfortable circumstances (for instance, we have access to education and the internet), but when people are having trouble making a living, it's tough. There is absolutely no reason why a person cannot leave their country to seek a better life somewhere else. It's all God's Earth, and we have the choice to go wherever we want to seek His sustenance. Emigration is challenging, and people don't usually emigrate from their countries unless they feel a strong need to (for personal, political, economic, religious, cultural, or whatever reasons, unless they are just adventurous). Of course, if economic opportunities disappear in the West, many people will not come to the West and instead will go other places where they feel they can take care of their families better; this is just life.

Salam

it is a good opinion but it reflects only few Muslims or few people ,I know many who wouldn't live there even if they are offered a room in the white house or berlin square if there is one?

Please do not generalise the Image of Muslims ,to not offend our Respected Ulamas and their families and majority of devouted Muslims,

But hey Good point ,tho

Salam

it is a good opinion but it reflects only few Muslims or few people ,I know many who wouldn't live there even if they are offered a room in the white house or berlin square if there is one?

Please do not generalise the Image of Muslims ,to not offend our Respected Ulamas and their families and majority of devouted Muslims,

But hey Good point ,tho

There are many Muslims who are born in the West including some who have lived there in centuries such as in Bosnia, Albania, and other countries.

There are many Muslims who are born in the West including some who have lived there in centuries such as in Bosnia, Albania, and other countries.

Asslamo Alaykom and Happy Eid to you ..I do not deny that ,I met the Moorish Muslims and Native Indian Muslims not just first second generation of east west europeans or Arab Muslims,I lived in The west myself and just today having a lynch at Burger king in a Muslim country it Reminded me of The US where I used to live..except the Fish Burger i had was tastier and the Place was cleaner and had good safe kids place where they could play etc..so even in a Muslim country I could witness a western influence..but some Muslims must really do some home work to figure how much their countries do spend in Nuclear Arms to not look at other plp resources but to their own ;) they will be surprised that they should and could live better right where they are.if they have a will to speak out ,I guess they will face and are facing just what the west is going or will go throu..Allah knows best @)

It might be good to "go easy" on people. It's easy to criticize people when we ourselves are in relatively comfortable circumstances (for instance, we have access to education and the internet), but when people are having trouble making a living, it's tough. There is absolutely no reason why a person cannot leave their country to seek a better life somewhere else. It's all God's Earth, and we have the choice to go wherever we want to seek His sustenance. Emigration is challenging, and people don't usually emigrate from their countries unless they feel a strong need to (for personal, political, economic, religious, cultural, or whatever reasons, unless they are just adventurous). Of course, if economic opportunities disappear in the West, many people will not come to the West and instead will go other places where they feel they can take care of their families better; this is just life.

Beautifully put.

Kudos!

I often hear how many in the muslim world would die to get a chance to immigrate, yet would burn an American flag on the street in a heartbeat. This so-called paradox often puzzles many - but if looked closely , it's not really a paradox. People simply love the 'easy' western life - where hard-work (or government handouts) can relieve them of many annoying issues in life they face in their native countries. To them the west is like a gigantic marketplace, where a luxurious (and relatively safe) life doesn't cost as much as it does 'back home'.. Well, all of it might change in a few years now. The western nations are now facing a major financial catastrophe, and are running short on resources to address it. If this crisis does translate into higher costs of living (and resulting political unrest), would the muslims, or any third-world dwellers be still so keen on running to the West? In my opinion, the cost of survival is much lower in the 3rd world than in places like US..

You make it sound as if these people seek to emigrate solely for economic reasons.

If that is indeed the only reason, do you really see them beating a path to any of the new economic powerhouses such as China, or even to any member of the anti-American axis, if America and the rest of the West go into a terminal decline?

Its more than just money that brings them here.

Though I agree with you that this decline will probably bring out nationalist (ie: white) urges that would make it ugly even for the immigrants already here.

People will go where the $$ and opportunities exist. Iranians are shifting slowly, and Malaysia seems to be the new major destination. The reasons stated by one immigrant (who has setup an organization helping others):

It all began when the founder and current managing director of Splendid Millennium came to Malaysia in 1989, as a student to study English, at a local college. He like the country and decided to stay permanently. He has not looked back since and has made Malaysia his home with his family.

He is enchanted with Malaysia due to the following reasons:

1. Malaysia is a safe country, with a strong and stable government. The coalition government has been in power since Malaysia gained independence on 31st AUG 1957 (51 years ago)

2. ISLAM, being the main religion is practiced moderately. There is freedom of religion.

3. It is a multi-racial country with diverse custom and culture. The people live in harmony in a very peaceful environment.

4. The climate is tropical with plenty of greenery. The temperature is consistent with dry and wet seasons.

5. Middle Eastern food is easily available. There is a myriad of food choices to cater for all races in hyper markets and restaura The cost of living is low.

6. Business opportunities are plentiful for the ambitious entrepreneurs, it is only a matter of choosing which sector the investor wants.

Edited by waiting

You make it sound as if these people seek to emigrate solely for economic reasons.

if economics wasn't the main reason, why would millions of Mexicans risk their lives crossing the border illegally?

have they run out of booze and drugs in mexico? or are catholics being persecuted there?

and if mexicans don't exemplify a would-be immigrant group, I wonder who else could?

if economics wasn't the main reason, why would millions of Mexicans risk their lives crossing the border illegally?

have they run out of booze and drugs in mexico? or are catholics being persecuted there?

and if mexicans don't exemplify a would-be immigrant group, I wonder who else could?

Now Mexicans = Muslims? I thought you were talking about Muslims emigrating from Muslim Lands...

Its probably difficult for a "good" Muslim admit, but I'd venture that at least a few come emigrate to escape the pressures of conformity, be it religious/political/cultural etc.

Of course its going to be interesting to see just how many of these economic opportunists (Mexicans, Muslims, or otherwise) abandon the sinking ships of the West and find their way back home. Perhaps the Mexicans will wake from their drunken stupor to realize that the grass is now greener in China, Russia, Malaysia etc., and hey, they need people to cut it on the cheap over there too...

Now Mexicans = Muslims? I thought you were talking about Muslims emigrating from Muslim Lands...

as usual, you forgot to read my original posting:

The western nations are now facing a major financial catastrophe, and are running short on resources to address it. If this crisis does translate into higher costs of living (and resulting political unrest), would the muslims, or any third-world dwellers be still so keen on running to the West? In my opinion, the cost of survival is much lower in the 3rd world than in places like US..

Muslims are a PART of the 3rd world, well most of them, and they behave like typical 3rd world people.

muslims come to America for the same reasons that mexicans do.

Its probably difficult for a "good" Muslim admit, but I'd venture that at least a few come emigrate to escape the pressures of conformity, be it religious/political/cultural etc.

I can't make generalizations based on the actions of a 'few'. Sure, there are a 'few' westerners who move to 3rd world countries for economic reasons as well (since they have an inherent advantage over the locals) - but I can't apply their behavior to all westerners..

Of course its going to be interesting to see just how many of these economic opportunists (Mexicans, Muslims, or otherwise) abandon the sinking ships of the West and find their way back home. Perhaps the Mexicans will wake from their drunken stupor to realize that the grass is now greener in China, Russia, Malaysia etc., and hey, they need people to cut it on the cheap over there too...

when the mexicans wake up from their drunken stupor, they will kick out the US sponsored rulers and install in their countries people like Chavez who can at-least guarantee a safety net for the have-nots (people, not bankers).

one can hope the same should apply to muslim lands also. the era of US sponsored stooges is hopefully coming to an end.

I don't think that the only reason people come to America is because of economic freedom, nor is it to "escape the pressures of conformity". There are great things about America that are not found in other countries (just like there are great things about other countries that are not found in America), and I have a great respect for American people. I grew up here, so I identify more with the people here than people in Iran (or some other place) on a lot of issues. I don't understand this deep rooted hatred or anger towards all things American. And, Wisken, "back home" to many Muslims IS America.

Wisken, what do you mean by this statement:

Though I agree with you that this decline will probably bring out nationalist (ie: white) urges that would make it ugly even for the immigrants already here.
Edited by Path2Felicity

I don't think that the only reason people come to America is because of economic freedom, nor is it to "escape the pressures of conformity". There are great things about America that are not found in other countries (just like there are great things about other countries that are not found in America), and I have a great respect for American people.

there's a simple litmus test here : remove the promises of prosperity from the equation and see if the people are still interested in emigrating. this was the idea of the original posting.

^ Obviously people are not going to take the trouble to emigrate somewhere where they cannot find rizq, but I agree that there are other reasons which draw people to the West beyond money.

I think the idea was that Muslims emigrate for more than just economic reasons, although economic reasons are probably #1. While most Mexicans come to the US only to work, Muslims have emigrated from Muslim lands for a lot of reasons, such as political oppression, fear of the government, war, educational opportunities, lack of free speech, frustration with the disorganization in certain countries, a desire to make a fresh start, more of a sense of 'privacy' or personal freedom, more opportunities for self-growth, and so on. Maybe some just like living in Western societies too.