Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Zara28

Thinking Of Moving To Canada...

Thanks for your post, though I would prefer to live in the USA rather than say, "Saudi" Arabia I really would be going against every principle I have ever held if we moved there. :)

Iran is not as problematic a place for us to emigrate to as my wife is entitled to a Bosnian passport which I have been told means we don't need a visa to live there insh'Allah. :)

That's wonderful although you might want to be sure to check that you can come on her passport too, because usually citizenship is done through the man there not the woman. So even though she can move there, you might not be able to automatically; I am not sure.

I agree the US has done many bad things. However, just to defend it a little, it also does have some very good principles which you appreciate when you move out of the US to, say, the UK. For instance, there is a general idea that people from all of the world should move there and get along with each other and be accepted as citizens (rather than as 'foreigners') and that people shouldn't interfere in other people's decisions regarding what religion to practice or how to live their lives. Religiousity in general seems to be more valued there, and there seem to be slightly higher moral standards (note I am saying "slightly") about what is appropriate and inappropriate to display in public in terms of advertisements, nudity, explicit billboards, etc. Alcohol is less predominant, and the choice to abstain from alcohol is respected.

Where I am living now, there are many more Muslims, but I have felt a level of hostility (in terms of cold, hateful stares) towards myself as a muhajabah (perhaps because I am a non-Asian-looking muhajabah) from some non-Muslims that I never experienced in the US. In the US, people are generally fairly friendly towards each other (perhaps less so in some places like New York) and also honesty and straightforwardness are valued in social as well as business relations.

In terms of the Muslim community, I felt that the Islamic centers there had a different environment, perhaps because Muslims are more "integrated" into the broader society. Where I am now, I feel much more like the centers I have been to are more focused on being "immigrant communities" (i.e. temporary communities of people who identify with living elsewhere) rather than focused on developing a "permanent community" of Muslims who have made their home here (regardless of where they come from). Although they still have some valuable programming, it is a different focus, and I miss the sense of trying to establish a true "community" instead of just a "temporary home". (This is just my feeling though; I could be misreading the dynamics here, and I'm sure it differs from place to place)

I do have to say, though, honestly after being here for a month or so I am absolutley sick of every other Muslim on the street and at the masjid asking me if I am a "convert" and asking me a sequence of questions that can border on the insulting (such as "Are you married to a Muslim?" "No, an Israeli Jew, thanks for asking"), and I'm about ready to slap the next person who feels the need to ask the Same Set Of Questions to me. It didn't seem to be quite as big of a deal back in the US although of course there are some people who are like that there too. On the other hand, there is a very strong sense of "convert identity" among some first-generation Muslims here, and I don't really "click" with that either. Sometimes I'd just like to tell people, "I'm not a 'convert', I'm a human." I think perhaps in the US some people were just used to more diversity in the Muslim community. Perhaps people are more used to first-generation Muslims in the US as well since there are many American Muslims (especially if you include the influence of the Nation of Islam).

Of course the US is not jannah and there are better and worser places to live but I thought I would just mention the good side of it.

Anyway it is all God's earth and I wish you the best wherever you go :)

(salam)

Huh, where did I say I studied in Hawzah :Hijabi:. . .

Sorry I thought by the above quote u said u studied in hawzah there and had no complaints, my bad

Iran is not as problematic a place for us to emigrate to as my wife is entitled to a Bosnian passport which I have been told means we don't need a visa to live there insh'Allah. :)

This information is incorrect. All foreigners without exception require visas for residency. Only a tiny exception exists for those who are of Iranian origin and can prove it.

This information is incorrect. All foreigners without exception require visas for residency. Only a tiny exception exists for those who are of Iranian origin and can prove it.
Every foreign visitor is required visa to enter Iran except the following:

nationals of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia and Turkey for stays of up to 3 months.

http://www.alloexpat.com/iran_expat_forum/...uide-t1716.html

It's enough to get us in there at least.

I am educated to Masters level and have a PGCE so finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem insha'Allah.

I am educated to Masters level and have a PGCE so finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem insha'Allah.

Bro, that's visitor's (tourist) visa. I'm talking about residency.

Almost every nationality can get a 2-week tourist visa on spot nowadays.

Bro, that's visitor's (tourist) visa. I'm talking about residency.

Almost every nationality can get a 2-week tourist visa on spot nowadays.

Except Americans ;)

I think except Britons too, not sure b/c I just happen to be an expert on Trying To Get An Iranian Visa With An American Passport

(salam)

To get the thread back on track, I shall restate the key points for both my wife and I.

Positives and negatives for Shi'a Muslims living in various provinces of Canada.

We aren't interested in peoples opinions about other countries.

We aren't interested in materialism and which has the best shopping centres.

We are interested in the facilities provided for practicing Shi'a Muslims in the various provinces.

We don't want to live in another big city like London or Birmingham.

We don't care whether some brothers or sisters are not as "pious" as some here think they are themselves. One's religious devotion and imaan is a private matter between oneself and Allah(swt).

We want trees, fields, wide open spaces, relative safety for our children compared to the cities in the UK and access to Shi'a facilities and education for our children.

We don't want our children exposed to the filth and pollution that comes with a big city either, the clean air of the countryside is what we would like.

I think your best option within Canada would be a smaller city in Southern Ontario, like Kitchener or London (Ontario). Neither of these cities is "big", so you could easily get a home in the outskirts of the city to satisfy your requirement for nature and wide open spaces. The main drawback is that the Islamic facilities are not as extensive as in the big cities, but you'd be only 1-2 hour drive from Toronto if you need to go there occasionally.

Here are the websites for the Shia centre in Kitchener and London, as well as the Wikipedia pages for the cities so you can learn more about them.

http://www.kitchenershiacentre.org (website for new centre...they have a different place right now)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchener,_Ontario

http://www.almehdiln.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Ontario

I think most of their programs are in English, but I'm not sure.

Asalamu Alaikum,

I have lived in Canada and I must say it was a great place to live for the short time I was there. The Shi'i Community in Windsor ON is really great. they have a new howzah! They have a really great Sheikh leading the community there that I have much respect for. If you want to really fallow Ahlul Bayt this is really a nice place to be.

The Muslims in Canada have a lot of rights and do not have to worry much about anything.

I'm delighted you have the opportunity of a fresh start in a new country insh'Allah... but if you can afford the capital to emigrate please make sure your wife's rent is up to date because Roy from the estate agents has been hassling my family back in the UK for rent arrears for several months now.

salams

salam

i'm live in Vancouver... and seriously i dont see why people live in snow for like 9 months of the year with like minus degrees most of the time, the the summer comes in, the temp. like never goes below 30... that's what i think of Toronto ( West Side, Uh!)....

we have a good number of shias here but they are soooo spread out, it's not even funny, there's a majid that costed like 13 millions and there is NO ALIM for months!!!!!!!!

iranians are split, iraqis are split, khaja's and pakistani's are split, i dont know about afghani's but they are probably split too (just to go with the flow) (they are split because of personal reasons, fights all the time, who wants to take control....etc...), and LOL, we Lebanese are renting an office in a business area, LOOOOOL,

other than that, since we live in Vancouver (the 3rd most beautiful city in the world, take that Toronto) we pay 13% tax, houses are more expensive, overall, living in Vancouver is more expensive than living to Toronto as far as i know...

the health care equally sucks throughout Canada as far as i know... but we got a private clinic recently !!!!

Canada is the most awesomest (if that is a word) place to live! I go to bayview mosque or also known as Jaffari mosque, I literally grew up at that mosques best place ever, but they are building and even bigger mosque which is sooo exciting, Richmond hill is the best place to live ever! The snow is awesome, it is sooo much fun, every one complains but they all secretly love it! East End maderssah is one of the many maderssah’s in Toronto, I went there graduated and now teach there, soo much fun! The healthcare system is awesome as well, over the past 3 years I have broken my ankle and gotten surgery to fix it, dislocated my shoulder, and gotten a ring stuck on finger that it had to be cut off by the doctor, all three time the longest wait was two hours, but the treatment was awesome! Definitely move to Canada especially Toronto! :D

Dear All.

I am living in Pakistan and applied for Canadian immigration recently. I fall in fast track process and hope to get immigration soon, if no serious issue arises. I have opted for Calgary, Ab. I have been reading the discussion which is very informative and interesting both. But I wish to tell you something. It is only the inside of you which makes you comfortable whereever you live. Otherwise there are always compromises and adjustments everywhere.

Dr.Ali Imran Zaidi