Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Zara28

Thinking Of Moving To Canada...

(salam)

Please explain this comment or do u think u can say what the heck u want?

There's nothing to explain, I simply wrote I have doubts about what you stated - stared by kids as if they had never seen a hijabi. You are too paranoid, that's all.

I have read your posts in the past regarding the abuse from your ex. Which is why I believe it's what you had to go through, that you are now looking at every issue on this thread regarding the country and it's people through such a negative light, which is why I said that you are being extremely biased and aggressive because most of what you describe, it's something the general Shia population here does not feel. You shouldn't come on SC to rub people off or to release your stress because that isn't really the purpose of SC. Obviously having lived for more than 2 decades in UK you weren't going to settle into the environment over night and get used to it - on top of the abuse that you had to deal with. I lived just over a decade in Saudi Arabia before I moved here (two totally different life styles, much more different than London vs Toronto) and it took us a good couple of years to get used to the city, it's people and pretty much everything else. Ask my friend Hussain Abbas - he has posted on this thread too. He was the first proper friend I made at mosque 8 years ago (only because he was the only other boy who was speaking a language other than English) and I'm sure he remembers very well as well how much we used to hate this place, country and how much we used to hate on the people at the mosque. I mean literally hate them, the culture they associated themselves with, the whole Canadian mentality and what not. We used to spend hours conversing nothing but how everything is just bad here. It just takes time to settle in and start noticing the bright side of certain things as well and to actually understand the Shia community here. It's not bad. It's different. Lifestyle is different. It took me a good 5 years perhaps to get used to everything.

See u have summer school. Thats doesnt count. We have 4 months summer break. So in actual fact your course are much longer.

Summer school is there for you to be able to finish university in 3 years rather than 4 or if you don't want a full course load in a year you can balance it out during the summer - not because it's mandatory to take summer school cuz' the degree is some how longer. We are off from Mid-April till the first week of September. Not to mention we used to get full 2 months off summer vacations before university as well - in London it was just 1 month off in school and I used to spend most of the day time at Khala's house cuz' cousins used to be at school.

Anyways, I suggest you go read my first post on this thread on the very first page to see what the Toronto Shia community is really about.

have you forgotten Allah(SWT) or is it that u have spent so much time around non hijabis that u forget what one looks like?

Wow I love it; my new signature.

Wassalam

Ya thats true. When we first came we had problems with everything. I had big problems because first i missed everyone in India. But as time went by and made new friends and as i got older i started to realize the beauty of this country. We didnt even like the mosque or the people or the youth committee. Now mashAllah brother Ali Imran is on the successful committee himself.

'A follower' date='Sep 28 2008, 07:00 AM'

You pay a low interest after you start earning simply because due to your wages you pay off the loan. When you are not employed and still at university the interest amounts to this much. I have done my calculations because after graduation I have been in this situation where my job does not reach the level mark where I have to pay back the money which means I have no choice but to let the interest accumulate unless I use my wages to pay off and living in London that is quite tough ask any young professional.

Yes i told you already the contrast i found. When my ex rang osap they said it would take 14 years to clear his osap loan cos 55% was interest n the monthly payment. I saw the bill. The interest is not that much and it is based on what u earn here so isnt that better. Its only like 1oo and somin interest a year on so much money. Im self employed and so i dont even pay it regularly like waged people do.

Cars you say? Right how much is the congestion charge in London? And what is better driving around or using the public transport in London? Do the maths in terms of the time and the money and see how much that amounts too. Are you really sayin that car prices in Canada are more than in UK? :blink:

When i left for canada i had abrand new car here and yes it cos me a lot. I never drove in canada. I always used to go online and readthe newspapers to see if i could find something equvilent but i was suprised at how expensive they are. Unless u want a ford. Yes i love the bus system here. I have a car but happily travel on bus. Its getting cheaper and the oayster cared system is a brillient idea. In canada U NEED A CAR. Its freezing in winter. il give u an example. Once when i stayed in a hotel in canada (an incident after the abuse), i had my 1 year old with me. The hotel didnt sell milk. I looked outside and there was a snow everywhere (u guys remeber the snow storm you had in feb this year? Its was the bad one cos even u guys posted on here about it). I could see the supermaket about 1/2 mile away. I knew it was freezing but i wouldve walked to the shops to get the milk but my daughter wouldnt let go of me. She wanted to come. I was no way gonna take her out there. She wouldne even sleep so i could sneak out cos she was already suffering so much and crying all the time and as it was my legs were shaking uncontrolablly when i went outside and i didnt know how i would walk. It was the worst couple of days of my life. I rang friends to pick me up and take me with the baby but they were at work so i just gave her milkshake and waited until i came home to england that night. I felt totally disabled.

Have you checked how many times the legislation regarding Student fees has changed? The most recent was just last year due to the this whole notion of top up fees again which is implemented in London at first and then the rest of the countries.
yes they are adopting what the ameriacas do. Its sad but not unaffordable and if ur parents dont earn that much you dont have to pay it isnt it?
Please stop being judgemental :)

I think Ali Imran's england is ugly and 'We' attitude desnt help matters cos he just confirms what i wanted to think diffrent about 'them'.

I did Pharmacology, a degree which is potentially can land one of the most paid jobs in UK however your position in a company is zilch unless I have postgrad of some form simply because the companies themselves are making their standards higher and moving away from employing just undergrads. They want more experience and more qualifications, those undergrads that took on the jobs there are now stuck in a dead end job since their promotion will be a long long time simply because of the company policies. The other scenario is that the companies prefer to take on people from their own region, for instance where I studied I managed to land a job however finding a job in my home town is virtually impossible simply because my degree is not from a University in that region.

Phramacy wouldnt have given u that trouble. Times are hard everywhere in the world. At least i know in England my hijab is not so much of a barrier at least in my profession. One of my patients told me that i would never be given that status is sweden for example.

Even if it 14% compared to 17.5% is still much more and as I stated the VAT rebate is the other factor which rips off the consumer. As a business of any sort if your profit is anything more than 20K or 50K in a year depending on the type of business you can reclaim your VAT back. If this is in Canada then it is no different than UK but if it is not then its worrying.

I dont know about complicated figures. In canada i spent a time as a housewife and so im talking about daily things like food and clothing which was expensive. Thats why i gave examples of such things such as cucumbers, cream cheese and high chairs and ikea....and high street CLOTHES. But if u are into designer lables the yeah it s cheaper that the border but im talking about mall clothes shopping.

I guess i was one of those that would leave with empty suitacases and come back to canada all saying 'Heavy load'! What can I say.

name='Aal-e-Imran' date='Sep 28 2008, 07:48 AM' post=

You are too paranoid, that's all.

yeah i am a little. It was strange cos people say i have a very friendly face and i love kids and get on with them very well so when i saw this girl stare at me it was very strage cos here i deal with non muslim kids all the time and i will regard them as i do muslims with 'popet or sweety etc.. but i felt very uncomfortable standing in that que. That stare i will never forget! Poor kid.

I have read your posts in the past regarding the abuse from your ex. Which is why I believe it's what you had to go through, that you are now looking at every issue on this thread regarding the country and it's people through such a negative light, which is why I said that you are being extremely biased and aggressive because most of what you describe, it's something the general Shia population here does not feel. You shouldn't come on SC to rub people off or to release your stress because that isn't really the purpose of SC. Obviously having lived for more than 2 decades in UK you weren't going to settle into the environment over night and get used to it - on top of the abuse that you had to deal with. I lived just over a decade in Saudi Arabia before I moved here (two totally different life styles, much more different than London vs Toronto) and it took us a good couple of years to get used to the city, it's people and pretty much everything else. Ask my friend Hussain Abbas - he has posted on this thread too. He was the first proper friend I made at mosque 8 years ago (only because he was the only other boy who was speaking a language other than English) and I'm sure he remembers very well as well how much we used to hate this place, country and how much we used to hate on the people at the mosque. I mean literally hate them, the culture they associated themselves with, the whole Canadian mentality and what not. We used to spend hours conversing nothing but how everything is just bad here. It just takes time to settle in and start noticing the bright side of certain things as well and to actually understand the Shia community here. It's not bad. It's different. Lifestyle is different. It took me a good 5 years perhaps to get used to everything.

yes i do look at canada more negatively than others but that is not only cos of the abuse. Before the abuse, i still didnt like it. I felt lEXACTLY how u described when u got there. I had a friend like that too form england and we would just talk about how much we didnt like it. We wernt huge fans of england either but we prayed to get outta canada cos i felt like a dead man walking.

Summer school is there for you to be able to finish university in 3 years rather than 4 or if you don't want a full course load in a year you can balance it out during the summer - not because it's mandatory to take summer school cuz' the degree is some how longer. We are off from Mid-April till the first week of September. Not to mention we used to get full 2 months off summer vacations before university as well - in London it was just 1 month off in school and I used to spend most of the day time at Khala's house cuz' cousins used to be at school.

we get 4 months holiday at uni.. Dentistry and med students get less. Under 16's get 2 weeks xmas, 2 weeks eater, the bank hols and 3 one week half term hols and 6 weeks summer. Summer hols means no study unless u wanna ofcourse but it doesnt count for anything.

Edited by Veiled

Salaams. Ali Imran/al e Imran

i just wanted to clarify that my purpose in using shiachat is complicated. I do occasionally rub people up the wrong way but thats not intentional, its just cos i have a different perspective and i tend to stick my neck on the line to defend a principle or an idea that i support. It was shiachat that i could first open my mouth after two years of not being allowed to have opinions (whereas previously i was quite the activist) and so i am still finding my feet. So i think thats a good enough reason to use this site. I have loads of questions and anxieties about my shia peers after i became practicing and i use this actually to become aware. And i also use it to pm my friends some are actually canadian! So just i wanted to make it clear that i wanna get along with you lot and not fight.

I am actually ill (im not whining) and have been so for three weeks . I feel so bad cos i havent slept and u all know i have my kid and so im gonna end my opinions on canada here (unless someone really provokes me...please dont.). And u know i need my regular breaks from this site cos its overwhelming. So im gonna sleep.

Enjoy rest of Ramadhan.

ONE VERY GOOD THING ABOUT CANADA IS THAT THEY DONT HAVE MIX UP ON EID WITH MOON SIGHTING!!! there you go i end on a positive note!

Salaam,

Hey! Whats so wrong with Southall? And Sikh's are nice people, they share many things with the Shias.

You can't beat a bit of Shahi Nan Kebab

Okay fair enough they have needed to re-tarmac lady margret road for a while, it can be a hell on the old shocks LOL!

And don't bash on Edgware Road/Maida Vale, I am there everyday! Yeah sure u get a few wayward khaleeji's, the Kurdish rude boys, the tunisian marital disputes in public....but it is all part of the melting pot :D

Wembley Stadium is so amazing man, don't even pretend u haven't wanted to run through that water fountain in the summer like in Bride and Prejudice ;-)

Stanmore is sedate and organised, we all need a bit of organisation now and then, Mahfil is fruity and challenging, KP is pretty!

Head on down to Hammersmith on Hazrat Abbas's(AS) night for the atmos (and the tea with pau de chocolat).

I love London, and London is slow moving and congested, for those who don't know the back routes.....come on half the fun is the actual journey....admit it how many of your have tried to get to the North Circ from Willesden High Road and took the back route and felt....."yeahhh baby" LOL

Wasalaam

P.S and I forgot to mention East and South London (Big Up! BRAP!) LOL

Let me repeat ALLOW LONDON the only thign good here is Muharram :) and mabey u guys visited some next dodjy places in Canada coz what ur saying sounds like London more then Canada OK guys u gotto admit ALL OF U

that the market situation here is gonna kill u all so run! recession! bhaagooooo to Canadiaa !

Why is food so expensive in canada? What is the average cost of a meal at a take-away shop in canada?

I don't live in Canada, but it's worth noting that you can't really compare prices (especially on imported goods) in Candian dollars versus British pounds b/c the pound is worth so much more. And also, I would imagine that certain types of fruits and vegetables do not grow in Canada, especially in the winter, due to the weather, so they would be more expensive.

Other than that I think you guys gotta respect the fact that everyone has a different experience in a different place depending on their life, who they are around, their family situation, their work/educational situation, etc... Canada or London (or anywhere else) could be heaven for some people and hell for others.

BTW I'm going to stay out of this b/c I never lived in Canada, only visited it (although I was favorably impressed when I visited)... however, I just have a side comment... what exactly does it matter if girls are wearing a chador on the street as part of their daily dress? Does that make them somehow better people or more religious? Both are Western countries in which wearing a chador usually causes a lot of difficulty for people, and so I see no reason why people should feel like they have to wear one in order to be seen as sufficiently religious. Of course, if people want to, it's their choice and I'm not going to tell them not to, but it's not something I would expect from people especially if they are going to school and trying to live with the rest of society. There is also no need since there are plenty of other forms of hijab that are appropriate.

Even when it comes to wearing a jilbab, that also might be difficult in some occupations, but that doesn't mean that a person is wearing bad hijab b/c of their clothing style or that they're a "lesser Muslim". So like people should chill about clothing styles and not judge people based on that!

(salam)

Popeyes combo (WHICH IS VERY FILLING alhamdulila .. now im craving it :( ) comes to about $7 CDN

A nice extra big filling meal at a persian restaurant is about $12 CDN

DO the conversions, its SO MUCH CHEAPER than london

SR VEILED: instead of posting so much on this thread go outside and go to the mall or something (eatons Centre/yorkdale/scarborough town centre... as we suggested

Salaams again...with strength i just need to say this:

I dont live in Canada anymore to the person who suggested i go to the mall and i told ya already the probs i had getting around with no car (its more harder to in canada to travel in that weather in a limited transit system with a baby and i told ya it was depressing being the only hijabi at the mall and as a matter of fact i wasnt a member of SC while living in canada AND i told ya many times i didnt wanna post on this thread but did it cos someone pmd me and i certainly didnt wanna waste time like i did and thats why i had to stop but you guys kept at it even when everything is clear in my previous posts if u read them u wont get confused

Sis bint ul huda: yes my experience was awful cos of my personal life but i actually didnt like canada regardless cos i was let down by many things things there which i listed and i gave my reasons. My sums were done after taking all those factors into account and it was even worse cos they earn less than us so for them it must be so expensive. I also told u about canadian products which were cheaper at boots here than in walmart there. How do you explain bread being so expensive there. I made french sticks at home cos i couldnt afford to but them fresh there. Dont ask me how this is . I have given u examples which u are free to check for yourselves. Things taht were cheaper included corelle and the dollar store and some ornaments when i found them on sale.

I didnt wanna say Canada was God forsaken cos i dont believe thats true so i donno why a poster said that. I didnt feel the same sense to closeness to my religion as i did here but cos i had a lot of time at home a lone i used it to pray and go to mosque and so i guess that was good. I lost a lot of my spirit there but i did learn as we all do from life. Only Allah (SWT) knows and not me and you what is the general truth about Canada and what is individual. We are all biased here. If u like somein you like it and if u dont, you dont. This is our right.

To the people going on about take-out: I went to popeyes and persian resetaurants and they cost about the same but cos u guys earn less it must be more expensive to you.

I was initially impressed by canada when i visited but cos of the above things i found it hard to like or appreciate when i had to live there.

The OP need to make her own decisions i suppose and maybe she will love it, who knows. We are all different.

Edited by Veiled

I'd rather live in a country where people will also pray Jumma instead of doing matam at Jumma Namaz time. Experienced in Blackburn when I visited that country. How racist? You could have named a city Black or DarkChocolate but instead you gotta name it BlackBURN? wah

Besides even though gas prices are high everywhere Id rather pay $1.19 than like 2pounds which is seriously dumb.

I had the misfortune to grow up in Blackburn. :P

Is English not your first language? Blackburn is so named as a Black river runs straight through it, now known as "River Blakewater", in old English "Burn" means river.

Racist? :rolleyes:

(salam)

You complain way too much. Life isn't fair any where (though it's a bit more fair in Toronto :P). Live with it.

Zara28 - sorry for ruining your thread @).

Thank you. My wife started this thread to find out what life is like for Shi'a Muslims in Canada.

We know what the UK is like, we are both British natives and our kids are third generation native British Shi'a Muslims.

Please can anyone who wants to sell London or anywhere else in these septic isles to us please leave this thread alone and stop polluting it.

We don't care about whether the UK, USA or Timbuktu is your personal favourite place to live, we are considering Canada as an alternative to Iran because 12 months from now Iran may be nothing more than a sheet of radioactive glass.

Jzk.

Thank you. My wife started this thread to find out what life is like for Shi'a Muslims in Canada.

We know what the UK is like, we are both British natives and our kids are third generation native British Shi'a Muslims.

Please can anyone who wants to sell London or anywhere else in these septic isles to us please leave this thread alone and stop polluting it.

We don't care about whether the UK, USA or Timbuktu is your personal favourite place to live, we are considering Canada as an alternative to Iran because 12 months from now Iran may be nothing more than a sheet of radioactive glass.

Jzk.

To get the thread back on track, I shall restate the key points for both my wife and I.

Positives and negatives for Shi'a Muslims living in various provinces of Canada.

We aren't interested in peoples opinions about other countries.

We aren't interested in materialism and which has the best shopping centres.

We are interested in the facilities provided for practicing Shi'a Muslims in the various provinces.

We don't want to live in another big city like London or Birmingham.

We don't care whether some brothers or sisters are not as "pious" as some here think they are themselves. One's religious devotion and imaan is a private matter between oneself and Allah(swt).

We want trees, fields, wide open spaces, relative safety for our children compared to the cities in the UK and access to Shi'a facilities and education for our children.

We don't want our children exposed to the filth and pollution that comes with a big city either, the clean air of the countryside is what we would like.

Jzk

Are you planning to live in Iran? And are a citizen of Iran?

Are you planning to live in Iran? And are a citizen of Iran?

We are British natives. I am a convert and my wife is second generation British Shi'a.

Iran is the other destination we are considering as I would like to study in Qum one day.

We don't fancy living in a war zone though and given current events we are considering Canada as an alternative place to emigrate.

Sis bint ul huda: yes my experience was awful cos of my personal life but i actually didnt like canada regardless

(salam)

I didn't necessarily mean only because of one's personal life (in terms of marriage, family, etc), but just that everyone's personal experience differs greatly from place to place depending on what neighborhood you live in, if you go to school or work and who your coworkers or classmates are, the amount of pollution/crime in your area, local cleanliness, etc. The sum total of all factors.

Anyway, Isaa, you will probably have trouble finding a clean rural area + Shia facilities in most Western countries because Shia tend to be concentrated in urban areas. You could consider moving outside of a city and driving in to an Islamic school/center/etc. I understand that you said that you did not want to hear about other countries (and, indeed, our options are always limited by where we can get a visa to), but if you ever would consider moving to the US despite what you wrote, I heard that there is a very nice Shia community growing in Pittsburgh, and that the area is clean and has a lot of natural beauty and unpolluted areas, and I read online at least that it is a more "family oriented" city than some other cities in America. The US is not all bad and there are a lot of advantages, religious and cultural tolerance (when compared to some other countries) are probably that ones that come to mind the most. I am not sure you will find anywhere with as intellectual or as developed of a Shia community as London, but inshallah you should at least be able to find an area with friendly Shia people in it that you feel comfortable in.

As for Canada, if Toronto does not work out, there are a number of Shia in Vancouver as well. I don't think the community is as "dynamic", but they have a Shia school there that seems nice. It all depends on what you are looking for.

If you want to study hawzah, Qum is a good option, but immigrating there is not always as easy as it seems on the surface. You might talk with other talebehs that have brought their families and discuss the challenges they face. Many people do not feel "accepted" by society when they go there and feel frustrated by other aspects of life. You might also face challenges such as visas or lack of citizenship. On the other hand you have access to do ziyarat and inshallah to try to meet more like minded people and live in a place without public moral depravity.

Inshallah though I personally do not think Iran is in danger of nuclear bombardment.. and if that does happen then prepare for the end of the world because I think that would be a definite sign of Akhir al-Zaman.

(salam)

I didn't necessarily mean only because of one's personal life (in terms of marriage, family, etc), but just that everyone's personal experience differs greatly from place to place depending on what neighborhood you live in, if you go to school or work and who your coworkers or classmates are, the amount of pollution/crime in your area, local cleanliness, etc. The sum total of all factors.

Anyway, Isaa, you will probably have trouble finding a clean rural area + Shia facilities in most Western countries because Shia tend to be concentrated in urban areas. You could consider moving outside of a city and driving in to an Islamic school/center/etc. I understand that you said that you did not want to hear about other countries (and, indeed, our options are always limited by where we can get a visa to), but if you ever would consider moving to the US despite what you wrote, I heard that there is a very nice Shia community growing in Pittsburgh, and that the area is clean and has a lot of natural beauty and unpolluted areas, and I read online at least that it is a more "family oriented" city than some other cities in America. The US is not all bad and there are a lot of advantages, religious and cultural tolerance (when compared to some other countries) are probably that ones that come to mind the most. I am not sure you will find anywhere with as intellectual or as developed of a Shia community as London, but inshallah you should at least be able to find an area with friendly Shia people in it that you feel comfortable in.

As for Canada, if Toronto does not work out, there are a number of Shia in Vancouver as well. I don't think the community is as "dynamic", but they have a Shia school there that seems nice. It all depends on what you are looking for.

If you want to study hawzah, Qum is a good option, but immigrating there is not always as easy as it seems on the surface. You might talk with other talebehs that have brought their families and discuss the challenges they face. Many people do not feel "accepted" by society when they go there and feel frustrated by other aspects of life. You might also face challenges such as visas or lack of citizenship. On the other hand you have access to do ziyarat and inshallah to try to meet more like minded people and live in a place without public moral depravity.

Inshallah though I personally do not think Iran is in danger of nuclear bombardment.. and if that does happen then prepare for the end of the world because I think that would be a definite sign of Akhir al-Zaman.

Thanks for your post, though I would prefer to live in the USA rather than say, "Saudi" Arabia I really would be going against every principle I have ever held if we moved there. :)

Iran is not as problematic a place for us to emigrate to as my wife is entitled to a Bosnian passport which I have been told means we don't need a visa to live there insh'Allah. :)

(salam)

^I lived in Saudi Arabia [11 years], it's a nice place to live (it's the Middle East at the end of the day B)) but not if you want some sort of a family life. For bachelors it's not bad at all. If you live in Jeddah you are literally a 30 minute or so drive away from Makkah. If you live in areas like Qatif or Al-Hasa there are many Shias there (in fact they are known Shia cities with even Shia mosques). Anyways the country is not for you as per what you have defined on this thread, but just thought I'd mention in general that it's not that bad of a place to reside in (terms of work, pay, residence, early education for kids from school and health care - much better than Canada, last time my mom ended up going there [we go from time to time anyways since my dad lives there still] and got her surgeries - plural - done since Canada loves to delay these things for months) I was just in Iran a month ago for a month trip and I am also considering going there for Islamic education after I finish my degree in the near future InshAllah. Obviously it's hard to get settled into any new place, but I don't think it should be a problem to live there (in Iran) if you take things with a little bit of patience. It feels great knowing that everyone around you is Shia, though as people have mentioned already, it doesn't necessarily mean that people are angels just because they are Shia. So yes, you might have to deal with some ups and downs, but it's part of life. So no complaints really from me about residing in that country while studying in a hawzah. I don't know about their health care.

Thanks for your post, though I would prefer to live in the USA rather than say, "Saudi" Arabia I really would be going against every principle I have ever held if we moved there. :)

Iran is not as problematic a place for us to emigrate to as my wife is entitled to a Bosnian passport which I have been told means we don't need a visa to live there insh'Allah. :)

That's wonderful although you might want to be sure to check that you can come on her passport too, because usually citizenship is done through the man there not the woman. So even though she can move there, you might not be able to automatically; I am not sure.

I agree the US has done many bad things. However, just to defend it a little, it also does have some very good principles which you appreciate when you move out of the US to, say, the UK. For instance, there is a general idea that people from all of the world should move there and get along with each other and be accepted as citizens (rather than as 'foreigners') and that people shouldn't interfere in other people's decisions regarding what religion to practice or how to live their lives. Religiousity in general seems to be more valued there, and there seem to be slightly higher moral standards (note I am saying "slightly") about what is appropriate and inappropriate to display in public in terms of advertisements, nudity, explicit billboards, etc. Alcohol is less predominant, and the choice to abstain from alcohol is respected.

Where I am living now, there are many more Muslims, but I have felt a level of hostility (in terms of cold, hateful stares) towards myself as a muhajabah (perhaps because I am a non-Asian-looking muhajabah) from some non-Muslims that I never experienced in the US. In the US, people are generally fairly friendly towards each other (perhaps less so in some places like New York) and also honesty and straightforwardness are valued in social as well as business relations.

In terms of the Muslim community, I felt that the Islamic centers there had a different environment, perhaps because Muslims are more "integrated" into the broader society. Where I am now, I feel much more like the centers I have been to are more focused on being "immigrant communities" (i.e. temporary communities of people who identify with living elsewhere) rather than focused on developing a "permanent community" of Muslims who have made their home here (regardless of where they come from). Although they still have some valuable programming, it is a different focus, and I miss the sense of trying to establish a true "community" instead of just a "temporary home". (This is just my feeling though; I could be misreading the dynamics here, and I'm sure it differs from place to place)

I do have to say, though, honestly after being here for a month or so I am absolutley sick of every other Muslim on the street and at the masjid asking me if I am a "convert" and asking me a sequence of questions that can border on the insulting (such as "Are you married to a Muslim?" "No, an Israeli Jew, thanks for asking"), and I'm about ready to slap the next person who feels the need to ask the Same Set Of Questions to me. It didn't seem to be quite as big of a deal back in the US although of course there are some people who are like that there too. On the other hand, there is a very strong sense of "convert identity" among some first-generation Muslims here, and I don't really "click" with that either. Sometimes I'd just like to tell people, "I'm not a 'convert', I'm a human." I think perhaps in the US some people were just used to more diversity in the Muslim community. Perhaps people are more used to first-generation Muslims in the US as well since there are many American Muslims (especially if you include the influence of the Nation of Islam).

Of course the US is not jannah and there are better and worser places to live but I thought I would just mention the good side of it.

Anyway it is all God's earth and I wish you the best wherever you go :)

(salam)

Huh, where did I say I studied in Hawzah :Hijabi:. . .

Sorry I thought by the above quote u said u studied in hawzah there and had no complaints, my bad

This information is incorrect. All foreigners without exception require visas for residency. Only a tiny exception exists for those who are of Iranian origin and can prove it.

This information is incorrect. All foreigners without exception require visas for residency. Only a tiny exception exists for those who are of Iranian origin and can prove it.
Every foreign visitor is required visa to enter Iran except the following:

nationals of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia and Turkey for stays of up to 3 months.

http://www.alloexpat.com/iran_expat_forum/...uide-t1716.html

It's enough to get us in there at least.

I am educated to Masters level and have a PGCE so finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem insha'Allah.

I am educated to Masters level and have a PGCE so finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem insha'Allah.

Bro, that's visitor's (tourist) visa. I'm talking about residency.

Almost every nationality can get a 2-week tourist visa on spot nowadays.

Bro, that's visitor's (tourist) visa. I'm talking about residency.

Almost every nationality can get a 2-week tourist visa on spot nowadays.

Except Americans ;)

I think except Britons too, not sure b/c I just happen to be an expert on Trying To Get An Iranian Visa With An American Passport

(salam)

To get the thread back on track, I shall restate the key points for both my wife and I.

Positives and negatives for Shi'a Muslims living in various provinces of Canada.

We aren't interested in peoples opinions about other countries.

We aren't interested in materialism and which has the best shopping centres.

We are interested in the facilities provided for practicing Shi'a Muslims in the various provinces.

We don't want to live in another big city like London or Birmingham.

We don't care whether some brothers or sisters are not as "pious" as some here think they are themselves. One's religious devotion and imaan is a private matter between oneself and Allah(swt).

We want trees, fields, wide open spaces, relative safety for our children compared to the cities in the UK and access to Shi'a facilities and education for our children.

We don't want our children exposed to the filth and pollution that comes with a big city either, the clean air of the countryside is what we would like.

I think your best option within Canada would be a smaller city in Southern Ontario, like Kitchener or London (Ontario). Neither of these cities is "big", so you could easily get a home in the outskirts of the city to satisfy your requirement for nature and wide open spaces. The main drawback is that the Islamic facilities are not as extensive as in the big cities, but you'd be only 1-2 hour drive from Toronto if you need to go there occasionally.

Here are the websites for the Shia centre in Kitchener and London, as well as the Wikipedia pages for the cities so you can learn more about them.

http://www.kitchenershiacentre.org (website for new centre...they have a different place right now)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchener,_Ontario

http://www.almehdiln.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Ontario

I think most of their programs are in English, but I'm not sure.

Asalamu Alaikum,

I have lived in Canada and I must say it was a great place to live for the short time I was there. The Shi'i Community in Windsor ON is really great. they have a new howzah! They have a really great Sheikh leading the community there that I have much respect for. If you want to really fallow Ahlul Bayt this is really a nice place to be.

The Muslims in Canada have a lot of rights and do not have to worry much about anything.

I'm delighted you have the opportunity of a fresh start in a new country insh'Allah... but if you can afford the capital to emigrate please make sure your wife's rent is up to date because Roy from the estate agents has been hassling my family back in the UK for rent arrears for several months now.

salams

salam

i'm live in Vancouver... and seriously i dont see why people live in snow for like 9 months of the year with like minus degrees most of the time, the the summer comes in, the temp. like never goes below 30... that's what i think of Toronto ( West Side, Uh!)....

we have a good number of shias here but they are soooo spread out, it's not even funny, there's a majid that costed like 13 millions and there is NO ALIM for months!!!!!!!!

iranians are split, iraqis are split, khaja's and pakistani's are split, i dont know about afghani's but they are probably split too (just to go with the flow) (they are split because of personal reasons, fights all the time, who wants to take control....etc...), and LOL, we Lebanese are renting an office in a business area, LOOOOOL,

other than that, since we live in Vancouver (the 3rd most beautiful city in the world, take that Toronto) we pay 13% tax, houses are more expensive, overall, living in Vancouver is more expensive than living to Toronto as far as i know...

the health care equally sucks throughout Canada as far as i know... but we got a private clinic recently !!!!

Canada is the most awesomest (if that is a word) place to live! I go to bayview mosque or also known as Jaffari mosque, I literally grew up at that mosques best place ever, but they are building and even bigger mosque which is sooo exciting, Richmond hill is the best place to live ever! The snow is awesome, it is sooo much fun, every one complains but they all secretly love it! East End maderssah is one of the many maderssah’s in Toronto, I went there graduated and now teach there, soo much fun! The healthcare system is awesome as well, over the past 3 years I have broken my ankle and gotten surgery to fix it, dislocated my shoulder, and gotten a ring stuck on finger that it had to be cut off by the doctor, all three time the longest wait was two hours, but the treatment was awesome! Definitely move to Canada especially Toronto! :D

Dear All.

I am living in Pakistan and applied for Canadian immigration recently. I fall in fast track process and hope to get immigration soon, if no serious issue arises. I have opted for Calgary, Ab. I have been reading the discussion which is very informative and interesting both. But I wish to tell you something. It is only the inside of you which makes you comfortable whereever you live. Otherwise there are always compromises and adjustments everywhere.

Dr.Ali Imran Zaidi