In the Name of God بسم الله

Menses And Ramazan

Rate this topic

Camelia

• Basic Members

Salam,

Anyway I kind of embarassed to ask this in a public forum but I don't have a choice :blush: . My questions are..

1. How do one knows when her period stops? What is the maximum days of period.

2. What if a woman took gush, believing her period has stopped (because it's been 9 days that she menstruated) and she decided to fast but later on that day she found out that there is still small amout of brownish substance on her underwear which she's unsure about of it's blood or not. Is her fast still valid? Should she take second gushl or break her fast??

I hope for a quick answer

and masalama :wub:

• Advanced Member

Salam,

1. I think its 10 days

Found this for you btw

511. * If a woman becomes Pak before the expiry of 10 days and feels that there is no blood in her interior part she should do Ghusl for the acts of worship although she may have a feeling that blood might appear once again before the completion of 10 days. And if she is absolutely sure that she will see blood before the lapse of 10 days, even then, as a matter of precaution, she should do Ghusl and perform her Ibadaat, but she will refrain from doing those acts which are forbidden to a Haaez.

but it doesn't say anything about the fasting :unsure:

http://www.al-islam.org/laws/kindsofblood.html#456

Edited by Armans Wife

• Advanced Member

Yeah I'm finding the whole blood thing very confusing. I've read Sistani's section on it numerous times but get confused with all the terminology and exceptions and intricate details... I'm not good with remembering details when I read, so I really wish someone knowledgable could just sit down and explain it to me, but unfortunately I don't know any Muslimahs where I live, nor is there a Shia masjid around here. :(

• Advanced Member

^ seriously this issue really stresses me out because I'm always thinking...has it officially stopped, do I start fasting? I agree that rulings are vague, maybe someone needs to ask a specific question to their Marja....that do we only assume the end of the menses period at the time when their is NO staining at all...thats what I beleive to be right at the moment.

• Advanced Member

As I understand it, bright red is menses, brownish or yellowish is not.

It is sometimes hard for me to tell when is the end too, but the color is a better indicator than anything else. Also, as I understand it, in Shia fiqh, the minimum duration is 3 days and the maximum is 10 days. If there is bleeding for less than three days, a woman should go ahead and abstain from salah and fasting for three days anyway, and if there is bleeding for more than 10 days, after the tenth day she should resume praying and fasting as normal, but clean herself before each prayer.

My biggest difficulty is that sometimes I have 1 day of very light bleeding, then one day clean, then the period starts the next day. I don't know if the start of the menses is the first odd one day, or the day that continuous bleeding starts.

• Advanced Member

From 3 to 10th day bleeding is called as Haiz and gulse Haiz is done for it. After 10th day bleeding is called as Istehaaza and irrespective of one bleeding continuously or not one has to fast, read namaz and do all the obligatories provided she cleans herself every time before every namaz. The cleaning of oneself has stages and degrees in relation to the amount of bleeding one has.I hope my explanation was clear.

• Advanced Member

^ the thing is that a woman does not bleed continously after 1 week, for many it would just stop.. or there would be a change in color and amount.. and then after 1 or two days it'll start again. Well I don't mind doing multiple gushl during normal days but I agree it is a bit difficult during ramazan, and I know that some women also have istihadah and that again needs to be treated differently that regular menses..

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the book recommendation, macisaac - that will be helpful. I appreciate others joining in the discussion as well - this is very helpful! I was getting confused because sometimes I bleed in between periods, but it's not bright red. I've been fasting and praying normally during those times just in case, but I haven't been exactly sure.

I also was reading on Al-Sistani's website that there are different stages of bleeding - heavy, medium, and light... but out of confusion I just abstained from fasting and prayer from start til finish (when there is no trace of blood). I'll check out the link macisaac provided to see if that clears things up a bit. I've been asking my mutah'd husband about it and I'm getting the 'deer in the headlights' look in response, hehe. Needless to say he's more lost than I am.

Edited by sukaina_08

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Salam,

Anyway I kind of embarassed to ask this in a public forum but I don't have a choice :blush: . My questions are..

1. How do one knows when her period stops? What is the maximum days of period.

2. What if a woman took gush, believing her period has stopped (because it's been 9 days that she menstruated) and she decided to fast but later on that day she found out that there is still small amout of brownish substance on her underwear which she's unsure about of it's blood or not. Is her fast still valid? Should she take second gushl or break her fast??

I hope for a quick answer

and masalama :wub:

Salaam,

i knw this reply is late. but it might help u.

to knw the max days u need to knw ur cycle. some has the cycle for 7 days and some for 10 days. if u feel that ur blood has stopped at the 9th day and u take ghusl but again u see the blood then knw it tht ur cycle is for 10 days. cycle mostly sets with few yrs. the brownish thing u say acc to me has to be blood. any brown/red substance that u see b4 10 days shud be considered as haez. 10 days is the max days for menses n 3 days minimum. if u still see any such substance after 10th day then u need to assume it as istehaaza. u need to take ghusl n do ur wajibats.

• 5 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam,

I know this is an old topic...but I'm still unsure about the ruling: when does haaez end? I'm talking about a 5 to 7 day habit...so the 3 and 10 days ruling doesn't help much... Sometimes there is just a wipe left on the tissue...can it be considered the end of haaez...the light red/pink wipe might just come once in the morning and then that's it...so do we forego a whole day of fasting for something like that? Or can we just fast out of precaution and keep doing ghusl couple of times in the day like before zuhr/asr, and then do qaza fast anyway later.

And I read that as per the ahle sunnah,brown or yellow discharge after the end of the period doesn't have any meaning and does not require another ghusl...and any brown/yellow discharge when fasting does not invalidate the fast...is it the same for us?or do we break the fast incase of brown discharge?

JazakAllah

Edited by IFK

• 11 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 7/17/2014 at 6:26 AM, IFK said:

Salaam,

I know this is an old topic...but I'm still unsure about the ruling: when does haaez end? I'm talking about a 5 to 7 day habit...so the 3 and 10 days ruling doesn't help much... Sometimes there is just a wipe left on the tissue...can it be considered the end of haaez...the light red/pink wipe might just come once in the morning and then that's it...so do we forego a whole day of fasting for something like that? Or can we just fast out of precaution and keep doing ghusl couple of times in the day like before zuhr/asr, and then do qaza fast anyway later.

And I read that as per the ahle sunnah,brown or yellow discharge after the end of the period doesn't have any meaning and does not require another ghusl...and any brown/yellow discharge when fasting does not invalidate the fast...is it the same for us?or do we break the fast incase of brown discharge?

JazakAllah

Hi did u find the answer, ive looked everywhere and no luck