Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Video Game Are You Playing These Days?

Rate this topic

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

:blink: This calls for a ban. Admins/Mods anyone????

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

So I saw Sony's PS5 spec reveal video and it was quite surprising. It is actually slightly under powered when compared to Xbox Series X. It looks like Microsoft totally took the crown in terms of power like they did with the Original Xbox and Xbox One X. I still think the PS5 will do alright but the Nintendo Switch will be ahead in terms of units sold by the time they come out.

The Switch is still selling well and Animal Crossing New Horizons is coming out to make a big impact. The Switch will likely be at 70 million units sold by the holiday season of this year.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Mortal Kombat 11. However with si much violence I am not sure this is really halal. 

Street Fighter 5 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are less violent games. They are more halal to play, in my honest opinion. I have Street Fighter V on my PC and I have Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on my Nintendo Switch.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
1 hour ago, ShiaLuma said:

Street Fighter 5 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are less violent games. They are more halal to play, in my honest opinion. I have Street Fighter V on my PC and I have Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on my Nintendo Switch.

I find that boring when this is not bloody or at least realist. 

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

I find that boring when this is not bloody or at least realist. 

Hey, Street Fighter and Smash Bros aren't boring. They're fun games. Smash Bros. and Street Fighter have an active competitive scene especially with games like Street Fighter II, Smash Bros 64, Melee, Smash Bros 4 Wii U, and Smash Bros. Ultimate. Melee for GameCube and Ultimate for Switch are the big contenders for Smash. Street Fighter came before Mortal Kombat and the creators of Mortal Kombat were inspired by Street Fighter. Street Fighter II has been available on a lot of platforms ranging from the arcades, the X68000 computer (the closest to the arcade version), the FM Towns machines, the SNES/SFC, the Mega Drive/Genesis, the 3DO, and a whole slew of other systems. Smash Bros. has been on N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and Switch. Smash Bros has gotten 3rd party characters since Brawl like Solid Snake, Mega Man, Ryu, Bayonetta, Cloud Strife, Sonic, Pac Man, and a whole slew of other great characters. It's the biggest fighting game crossover now. It doesn't have to be all bloody. Smash Bros has those great characters, some of which are gaming icons. Melee is still one of the most competitive games of all time even if Smash Bros. Ultimate has surpassed it in a way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I have now been playing a lot of N64, PS1, Genesis, some SNES games lately. I have played some DKC 1-3, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Goldeneye 007, NBA Courtside 1 and 2 (I also played NBA Courtside 2002 for GameCube as well). I also tried out Star Fox 2 and Star Fox 64.

I've been having a blast.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm playing through Super Metroid again. I do it every so often.

Yeah, I'm lost in Maridia though. I always get lost in Maridia, and that kills my good time.

Although I did just do the original Metroid (NES) yesterday in an hour and twenty. I have it mapped out in my head (aside from the screw attack power up, which I didn't bother getting).

I think I'm going to start Final Fantasy III tonight.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Yeah, I'm lost in Maridia though. I always get lost in Maridia, and that kills my good time.

Although I did just do the original Metroid (NES) yesterday in an hour and twenty. I have it mapped out in my head (aside from the screw attack power up, which I didn't bother getting).

I think I'm going to start Final Fantasy III tonight.

I hope you'll do the Metroid Prime games on the GameCube and Wii. I played a bit of the first Prime. Currently I've been playing The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker on my GameCube. I am looking forward to Metroid Prime 4.

I love Wind Waker. It's a great game that was underappreciated for its time.

I had the first prime game almost twenty years ago but the problem was that I can't do the first person thing very well for extended periods of time because I get nauseous. I can play old school 1993 DooM, but I can't play stuff like CoD for more than ten or fifteen minutes before I have to rest for a while (guitar hero is the same way: I look at the wall afterward and see the middle of my field of vision scrolling up).

Windwaker was amazing. I didn't like it when I first had it back when it came out, but I replayed it a year or two ago and realized what a creative, beautiful game it was. I prefer Nintendo's lighthearted "kiddie" games moreso than most of the popular games that come out these days due to the high level of wanton violence, sex, and profanity that are par for the course in video games now. I thought about looking into the FF7 rebuild, but I have such great childhood memories attached to that game that I can't bring myself to do it.

The last three games I finished were Illusion of Gaia, Lufia & The Fortress of Doom, and Soul Blazer. I've got a file going on a translated copy of Final Fantasy 3 (famicom) going right now as well, but that game is rather challenging.

• Forum Administrators
3 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Windwaker was amazing. I didn't like it when I first had it back when it came out, but I replayed it a year or two ago and realized what a creative, beautiful game it was.

Its graphics and visual style still hold up today, while many of the “realistic” looking games from that time period look quite ugly by today’s standards and aged poorly.

Proof you have to take creative risks.

You should check out the Soul Blazer trilogy if you haven't already (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma). Not sure what region you're in, but if you have a controller pad for a computer... you can easily play all three (terranigma never came out in NTSC regions, but was released in PAL and Japan afaik).

I was working on a 16bit style RPG for a while, but the laptop I had it on died due to a bad AC adapter connection. It was actually a set in a place that was a metaphor for the "Muslim world/Middle East" and my main characters were supposed to represent a diverse cast of Muslims from our actual world (arabs, southeast asians, europeans, etc. I was about halfway through making it and it was very much like Lufia and the Fortress of Doom except that instead of a fetch quest, it was more focused on advancing the plot by leveling your characters up and then sending them off to new areas (was very non-linear).

I thought about remaking it, but I'd have to get RPG maker again ($70-80) and reprogram darn near everything, rebuild the sprites from the ground up, etc. I also cannot pull all nighters like I used to, so it would take a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

So Sony revealed the PS5 a few days ago.

It looks interesting. It almost looks a little like a Wi-Fi router but a bit more futuristic. It looks cool and all but I am still happy with my Nintendo Switch which is still awesome. The Nintendo Switch after all had a headstart over Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is making Switch Pro soon and then a Switch 2. I still think PC will always be the best for multi-platform games with Switch being the best for portability + exclusives. PlayStation and Xbox are not as interesting as they used to be, the only thing they have are exclusives these days and that's it. They're missing the old pop n play factor of the past which Nintendo still holds strong towards. I still think Nintendo is going to win with the Switch as they try hard to stand out from Sony and Microsoft.

Edited by ShiaLuma

Up until a few minutes ago, I was playing DooM II: Hell on Earth

• Advanced Member

So the Last of Us 2 was released and people review-bombed the game. At least the game looks good.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time was unveiled. It's currently on PS4 and Xbox One but it will make its way over to PC and Nintendo Switch. It will also get next gen enhanced versions as well.

The Legend of Zelda (1986) One of my favorite games of all time, I'm trying to do a normal run, but quicker than usual. Been doing the same with Metroid (Also 1986) lately, but can't get it down to less than an 01:45:45 on my first playthrough (Before the Justin Bailey suit)

• Veteran Member
17 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

The Legend of Zelda (1986) One of my favorite games of all time, I'm trying to do a normal run, but quicker than usual. Been doing the same with Metroid (Also 1986) lately, but can't get it down to less than an 01:45:45 on my first playthrough (Before the Justin Bailey suit)

I'm not trying to brag but I can finish Super Mario Bros. in under 10 minutes, I can also finish it without using any of the short cuts. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

I'm not trying to brag but I can finish Super Mario Bros. in under 10 minutes, I can also finish it without using any of the short cuts. 

Absolutely brag, that's brag worthy because a lot of the time I still can't get past 8-3 unless I luck out because of those cursed Hammer bros.

The question is: how quickly can you get through 3? That's a looong game when you play it in one sitting.

I tend to only play old games. New games, especially FPS give me the spins and a headache.

I'm also playing Final Fantasy (1987) again, trying to get through it with a fighter, 2 black belts, and a white mage.

Edited by Abdul-Hadi
  • Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Absolutely brag, that's brag worthy because a lot of the time I still can't get past 8-3 unless I luck out because of those cursed Hammer bros.

The question is: how quickly can you get through 3? That's a looong game when you play it in one sitting.

I wasn't able to get through 2 let alone move on to 3 - I have played it though, but wasn't that good. I was never able to complete the game when I had a Nintendo, I played a version of the game on the Dreamcast. If I see one of those Nintendo minis at a low price I might pick one up, I'm sure it is still fun.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
3 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

I wasn't able to get through 2 let alone move on to 3. I was never able to complete the game when I had a Nintendo, I played a version of the game on the Dreamcast. If I see one of those Nintendo minis at a low price I might pick one up, I'm sure it is still fun.

2 is great, but you may already know that the Japanese version isn't an actual Mario game. It's set in like a mythological Middle Eastern universe and was originally called Doki Doki Panic. They localized it for the US using Mario characters because the original Super Mario Bros. 2  was seen as far too difficult for American audiences.

I have all of them on Super Mario All Stars for the SNES, including Super Mario World which I don't like as much because as soon as you get the cape you can just fly through pretty much every level if you aren't trying to access all of the secret worlds & star road levels.

I've been playing a lot more video games lately since I got a laptop and a Steam controller, but again, it's all old school stuff that I play.

• Veteran Member
11 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

2 is great, but you may already know that the Japanese version isn't an actual Mario game. It's set in like a mythological Middle Eastern universe and was originally called Doki Doki Panic. They localized it for the US using Mario characters because the original Super Mario Bros. 2  was seen as far too difficult for American audiences.

I have all of them on Super Mario All Stars for the SNES, including Super Mario World which I don't like as much because as soon as you get the cape you can just fly through pretty much every level if you aren't trying to access all of the secret worlds & star road levels.

I've been playing a lot more video games lately since I got a laptop and a Steam controller, but again, it's all old school stuff that I play.

I didn't know that but now that you say it, it is very different from 1 & 3. 

The first Mario Cart on Super Nintendo was a classic Mario game as well.

Yeah, Mario Kart is great. That game always reminds me of being a kid and being at my grandparent's house during the summer days when my mom would be working. I'd play that, Pilotwings, Star Fox, and and Breath of Fire on my uncle's SNES. He also had some game with the Tazmanian Devil where you had to run up a road that was scaled with Mode 7 graphics and eat kiwi birds while avoiding getting hit by cars. It was odd

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, ShiaLuma said:

So the Last of Us 2 was released and people review-bombed the game. At least the game looks good.

Yeah, and we found out that Abby is not transgender, but Ellie is lesbian. TlOU2 is banned in UAE and KSA.

Anyway, should I buy the game or no?

Edited by Diaz
3 hours ago, Diaz said:

Yeah, and we found out that Abby is not transgender, but Ellie is lesbian. TlOU2 is banned in gulf. 

So the liberals are putting LGBT propaganda in video games now??

Good grief, no wonder I only play old games.

Just now, Abdul-Hadi said:

So the liberals are putting LGBT propaganda in video games now??

Good grief, no wonder I only play old games.

Yes but the gameplay is awesome, not sure if I’m going to buy it tho. Probably I’m not gonna buy it. 

Anyway, I will replay my favorite horror game in ps2.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Diaz said:

Yes but the gameplay is awesome, not sure if I’m going to buy it tho. Probably I’m not gonna buy it. 

Anyway, I will replay my favorite horror game in ps2.

The most recent "new" game I played was Call of Duty: Black Ops (the first one). It's set in my absolute favorite time period in American history and deals with my favorite subject matter (the Cold War). I really liked the gameplay despite being terrible at multiplayer, but over time I began to get headaches and nausea from looking at the screen. I had Skyrim as well, but since I was using a CRT monitor, I couldn't read any of the dialogue or on-screen instructions and ended up getting rid of my 360 due to my headaches/nausea. That bummed me out, because I was always the "video game guy" when I was growing up & it felt like one of my main interests had been taken away from me. Oh well, I still have the classics from my childhood. I can handle those.

Speaking of video games, I was trying to build a game with RPG maker a few years ago. It was like Final Fantasy but the main characters were all supposed to be that game universe's version of Muslims + Middle Easterners. The enemies were an "Evil Empire" who were seeking to repress the main NPC, who was a prophet that was leading the PCs to resist the empire, but he ended up sacrificing himself at a certain point in the game to save some children by running into a burning palace (smoke inhalation + burns) and from that point on, his religious movement really takes off and leads people around the game world to reject the empire... so of course the empire doesn't take kindly to this and begins to use dark magick to summon a demon that will destroy the resistance... except that the demon eventually turns on them and destroys their kingdom, so the PCs take mercy on the people of the empire and travel inside this colossal demon to destroy it from the inside: and the emperor who is inside of the demon himself, controlling it (revealing that he destroyed his own civilization because they disgusted him with their weakness and sympathy for the kingdoms of the heroes). They defeat him, destroy the demon, and everything goes back to happily ever after.

Only problem is right as I was finishing it up, my Laptop crashed horribly and I lost it all. I haven't bothered to try making it again yet, but maybe at some point I will. The plot is really just a pastiche of some of my favorite SNES rpgs + combined with my own influences, but I wasn't planning to release it commercially. I was going to give it away for free and ask for whatever donations people felt like giving (if any), then I was going to donate half that money.

Edited by Abdul-Hadi
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

I wasn't able to get through 2 let alone move on to 3 - I have played it though, but wasn't that good. I was never able to complete the game when I had a Nintendo, I played a version of the game on the Dreamcast. If I see one of those Nintendo minis at a low price I might pick one up, I'm sure it is still fun.

You know, you can get yourself a Nintendo Switch and pay for the Switch's online service to allow you to play NES and SNES games. They'll soon add N64 and maybe GameCube. They're remastering Super Mario 64, Sunshine (from GameCube) and the fantastic Super Mario Galaxy games from the Wii. You'll also enjoy Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which is also on Wii U as the last Nintendo published title for that system) and Super Mario Odyssey (which is like Mario 64 but expanded). You'll even enjoy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate which is the biggest Smash Bros game to date and just as fast paced as Melee which is what I like. The Switch is a system worth owning. If you don't want to pay $25 a year for the Switch's online, then I'd suggest going for a Wii U which has its Virtual Console which is great. I can't recommend the Wii anymore since the Wii Shop Channel shut down a while back which had lots of games on there that aren't on Wii U's VC.

Edited by ShiaLuma