Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Video Game Are You Playing These Days?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Technology is advancing just bcoz its profitable & rewarding or else mankind would have been still living in the stone age.Take the example of Nikola Tesla, the bankers & pristine capitalists were not interested in his vision of free energy for mankind & eventually his research died with its inventor.

Then you should thank JP Morgan for the light bulbs in your house, for employing Tesla to invent the grid for you. While Tesla died broke and indebted. You've got it all backwards. Not really surprising though.

Each time a new phone or gadget or windows comes out and someone posts about it in sci and tech forum bleating in ecstasy about the "technological advancements" of mankind I get to laugh. Later I see them sad with their disappointments with it. Nothing new. I imagine those who receive sex change operations and then write that they never felt happier before are also very grateful for mankind's technological advancements which are rather our perversions and misuse of knowledge. The use of microwave radiation in mobile phones is an example of that. Thanks to the "bankers & pristine capitalists" who don't care in what fashion a consumer dies (because there ae billions of us) and do not listen to sad people like Tesla and even the suppressed Teslas and pseduo-scientists and conspiracy theorists of today because if they legalized and freed simple old HF radios for the public to communicate with each other then they won't be able to milk out train loads of money. Before the internet they used to say "Only spies want radios! OMG". Now they don't have to say anything. They have countless layman advocates like yourself.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

:blink: This calls for a ban. Admins/Mods anyone????

Posted Images

What advantage does it provide? Super high resolutions? Low carbon footprint? Fancy graphics? 120 fps? (Always laughable because over 60 fps the human eye can't tell the difference). Those are all cruddiest reasons.

4K gaming sets out a news experience for a gamer like me who is tired of the casual style of gaming AND it demands a muscle!

But a Core i7 9000K or some monster like that with 8, 10 or 12 cores, I would say why the heck? Because the most popular game engines usually do not even use more than 2 or 4 cores and those that do have difficulties and its a developer's nightmare. 

Each time a new phone or gadget or windows comes out and someone posts about it in sci and tech forum bleating in ecstasy about the "technological advancements" of mankind I get to laugh. Later I see them sad with their disappointments with it.

I had the same views when i first read the review of core 2 duo e8600 5 years ago but than science proved me wrong, & we all know what happened to Wolfdale processors... today they are sold @ RS.1000 ($10) only L O L! & games like Call of duty Ghosts brings these processors to their knees. Sad!

& as for ur HD 4870 plz tell me u can run Direct X 11 supported games  B)  i would love to know if i am wrong.

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

Bro when you don't even know that a 4870 is still running all your latest and heaviest games then you should really give it a rest, because it is. It doesn't run them with the graphical features exclusive to DX11 but I don't mind that nor do I see much need of that. Judging by your parable of a decade old processor line doing poor with a modern game I think now you will ask me if I also like Tetris since I fail to find the improvements and must-have status of DX11 over DX9? :P

You guys will have to do better than that. The APU will soon assassinate both intel and nvidia. Here you are presenting your CPU benchmarks and silly reasons while you ignore the monumental price difference and saving and for what? Super high resolutions? Or are you saying that the pricey hardware are necessary to play Ghosts and other modern games? No, rather you are speculating that the A10 will become useless like the core 2 duo after some years. Well, at the moment, and with such a great saving of like 2.6 times the price of comparable hardware (A CPU + A GPU vs. the APU with comparable performance), what will be stopping him from simply buying the then latest APU once more from the saving he will make now? I rest my case.

Edited by Darth Vader

Bro when you don't even know that a 4870 is still running all your latest and heaviest games then you should really give it a rest, because it is. It doesn't run them with the graphical features exclusive to DX11 but I don't mind that nor do I see much need of that. Judging by your parable of a decade old processor line doing poor with a modern game I think now you will ask me if I also like Tetris since I fail to find the improvements and must-have status of DX11 over DX9? :P

CI games is going to release Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 at the end of this year. I suggest you take a look at the demo video presented by its developer. Gamers like me are way too excited & cant wait. I hope to live by that time so that i can enjoy the beauty of that masterpiece & i have some great news for my self.. My rig is ready to roll on its release. If had a core 2 duo 6mb cache processor which at one time dominated on all other processors, i would probably be pissed off. So amateur gamers like u would be crying on discovering that their HIS 4870 OC version will be unable to host GW3   :P

Here check out the demo: Watch in HD mode

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ydfgh

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

Pardon me but I do not find enjoyment in viewing crispier grass and banana trees or fancy looking explosions with dirt and reflections in water and all that. And "Sniper Ghost Warrior" is a cruddy game and one can judge that from its name alone. If I feel like shooting things up I have a set of games installed for that and that game is not among them, nor will be its sequel, since sequels are always even more cruddy. Secondly I don't know why you believe and insist that I am using a C2D processor. In fact I am but its on a separate computer not meant for gaming.

In fact, I have the "Sniper Ghost Warrior 2" dvd set rotting away quietly in my cupboard since a year along with many other titles I deemed unfit to even try. Read the reviews, didn't feel like wasting the time to check it out.

You guys will have to do better than that. The APU will soon assassinate both intel and nvidia. 

For ur information APU is a term AMD gave their CPU that also has a graphics core inside the CPU chip. Llano is AMD's 1st APU. Intel's version of the APU is the Sandy Bridge series of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs and they are also released the same year. This is the 2nd generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPU and they have either the Intel HD 2000 or Intel HD 3000 graphics core integrated into the CPU chip. Intel simply calls them CPUs. So i see AMD using a different marketing strategy to boost its sale nothing more than that. If u thought AMD was the only company using the APU technology u were wrong.

Integrated graphics are still relatively weak compared to discrete graphic cards. The Intel HD 3000 is basically equal to the Radeon HD 5450 in terms of performance.

AND Even the AMD's FX top of the line eight core overclocked is only comparable to a mid range Intel core i5. Sad, really.

AMD never ruled the computer industry even after taking over ATI. Intel & Nvidia are both apart from each other.... still trolling AMD  :D

No, rather you are speculating that the A10 will become useless like the core 2 duo after some years. Well, at the moment, and with such a great saving of like 2.6 times the price of comparable hardware (A CPU + A GPU vs. the APU with comparable performance), what will be stopping him from simply buying the then latest APU once more from the saving he will make now? I rest my case.

Get yourself a calculator, that should give you a proper idea about the AMD's predicted lifecycle of A10 and LOL at the same time.

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

Sandy bridge is almost 5 years old and it has garbage for the integrated gpu which I wouldn't use to play even counter strike if it can even run it. Its basically there for 2D apps, practically for getting display if your gpu has a problem. Its not for 3D gaming. Meanwhile, the latest A10 has a radeon R7 gpu integrated in it. A monumental difference. What you are basically saying is some like that the regular Olympics games and the Special Olympics games meant for special people are both Olympics games and deliver the same spectacle and thrill to the spectators. I must respectfully refuse to agree.

Pardon me but I do not find enjoyment in viewing crispier grass and banana trees or fancy looking explosions with dirt and reflections in water and all that. And "Sniper Ghost Warrior" is a cruddy game and one can judge that from its name alone. If I feel like shooting things up I have a set of games installed for that and that game is not among them, nor will be its sequel, since sequels are always even more cruddy. Secondly I don't know why you believe and insist that I am using a C2D processor. In fact I am but its on a separate computer not meant for gaming.

In fact, I have the "Sniper Ghost Warrior 2" dvd set rotting away quietly in my cupboard since a year along with many other titles I deemed unfit to even try. Read the reviews, didn't feel like wasting the time to check it out.

So what r u? An RTS lover? TPS  addict? I fail to understand ur taste for pc games.

• Veteran Member

Whats left to debate now when even a child can agree that whenever the R7 in the A10 APU will become obsolete then the APU owner can simply buy the latest APU with the savings they already made with their previous APU. But fine, you're not a child I see. Keep at it. :p

So what r u? An RTS lover? TPS  addict? I fail to understand ur taste for pc games.

I'm an ordinary person who loves video games but also has a real life which is equally interesting. I like all genres. They just have to be good enough and worth my time.

Sandy bridge is almost 5 years old and it has garbage for the integrated gpu which I wouldn't use to play even counter strike if it can even run it. 

This is because Intel knew  APU's wont be able to compete with the conventional style of computing i.e a separate CPU & a GPU. They didnt rely on APU's to fulfill the customers need. It had more brains than AMD which amateurs like u wont understand. A CPU & a GPU are both consolidated in a processor known as APU They both consume the limited memory clock available for their working so will never replace the old style at once (dont know about the future). Even an APU which gives a dedicated processing power for the GPU fails to overthrow the might of a separate GPU.

BTW comparing a 5 years old technology with a latest one & expecting the same results.

tumblr_lio67fv8xv1qdzj2ko1_500.gif

Sorry about your luck but nvidia has way more money to invest in tech. They tend to get higher performance with less wattage. AMD only knows how to throw as many watts at a card as possible and throw high end cooling to keep it from catching on fire. 

AMD > Cheapest

nVidia > Strongest

AMD > High Power

nVidia > Low Power

AMD > More Heat on Air

nVidia > Low Heat on Air(which if u use watercooling u can overclock to achieve more than 30% OC)

Edited by Invoker

Whats left to debate now when even a child can agree that whenever the R7 in the A10 APU will become obsolete then the APU owner can simply buy the latest APU with the savings they already made with their previous APU. But fine, you're not a child I see. Keep at it. :P

Tell ur mind that currently APU user will NEVER feel the joy of gaming & experience the true essence of being a professional gamer even if he relies upon the latest development in the APU sector.  :lol:

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

Oh My God! This has turned into all-out nerd warfare in the few hours since I left my post. I didn't even read half of the posts because the whole war is so typical I've seen it a bazillion times. Before I even begin to reply, I'm mostly only going to refer the Vader's response to me (the one post) and I really don't want to get dragged into the whole war.

First off, Lord Vader, with due deference - and hoping that you don't choke the life out of me - new cards don't become obsolete in a few months. It's so funny that you say that and then contradict your own self when you say that your 5 year old card is working just as well with modern games today. And, you crying wolf almost constantly about DirectX is now getting annoying, really. Almost all the GPUs released within the last 3-4 years support DX11 - a few teeny tiny things might not be supported but the majority of the 'meat' is - and they will also get DX12 when Windows 10 comes out in a day. That's about 4-5 years of support, which is also when most gamers buy a new GPU. Sure, we'd all love for driver updates to work for the next 5 decades but the companies do need to make money and the almost 5 years offered today are certainly good enough. And, the whole, "when your $500 card dies after a few months". Seriously? Are you really going to go for sensationalism? Exactly what is the point of that statement? Are you telling me that $500 cards are more likely to die than $200 cards? That the manufacturers make the expensive cards with lower quality? That cheap cards are somehow immune from failure because Gordon Moore himself protects them?

Regarding the benefits of a expensive card, it's obviously up to the user if they want the super high density resolution but how can you be so blind that you say a 40 inch screen is worth the investment but increasing the resolution isn't? I'm sure you know about pixellation and how the larger the screen becomes, the more grainy the image is for the same resolution. Even more, on the same screen too, a higher resolution is better to look at. There's a reason you're using a 768p screen and not a 480p one. And, to push that kind of display, you do need a more powerful graphics card than your average Joe. Whether you want it, can afford it, or care enough about picture quality is another debate entirely but denying the benefits themselves simply because you don't find them worthwhile...The same thing applies to playing at over 60fps. I'm on the same team as you and don't find it useful because I neither play first person shooters in multiplayer and nor do I believe that my reflexes are good enough to detect variations amount to milliseconds. Those who do want to play competitively on first person shooters do claim that a higher refresh rate gives them just a little bit a head start and if they can detect that difference - you and I can't but that doesn't mean everyone's reflexes are as slow as ours - then let them buy a $500 GPU that pushes 144 frames per second. Yes, there are wise purchases and those which are not. For example, the Titan X is something that only someone with a desire to burn cash would buy as it gives the same performance as a 980Ti but costs 350 more. That is a stupid purchase and I'm not going to say no. On the other hand, a 980Ti is an incredible value when you consider that just a month ago, you'd need to pay $1000 for the same kind of performance. We have been lucky this time because the Fury X forced Nvidia to bring the price down that much - and that's the card I'm setting my eyes on! :D

Oh, and Invoker, an APU is NOT a CPU. If you want to compare AMD's APUs, you need to compare them to Intel's Iris Pro processors, not the Core i series because the two are very different and comparing them is a fool's errand, regardless of if you're comparing five year old products or the most recent. Moreover, we are talking about gaming here. Sure, a i7 is more powerful than the APU he might have suggested - if you want to, go get one of those Extreme Edition Intels - but that's not the point here. As far as gaming is concerned, more often than not, the GPU is the limiting factor, not the CPU. Most games don't utilise all the power of the CPU anyways because 1) they don't have to, there isn't too much 'pure processing' going on anyways, not unless you're playing something like Civilisation and 2) because games are designed in such a way that they dump almost all the processing on the GPU so you'd probably have just the same experience on an i3 as you would on a Extreme Edition Xeon with 50,000 cores if you're using the same GPU. Sure, there might be a difference of 5 frames per second but something like that doesn't warrant the much higher price and is not make or break a game anyways.

Tell ur mind that currently APU user will NEVER feel the joy of gaming & experience the true essence of being a professional gamer even if he relies upon the latest development in the APU sector.  :lol:

And, again, why are you guys - or me and Vader - even having an argument about APUs? Baradar is the one who's important here and he's not a professional gamer. Nor is he interested in 4K vs 1080p. All he wants is his beloved Shenmue 3 and he's as happy as a baby eating chocolate for the first time. So, these arguments are not relevant and I'd says you, me and Vader should stop going off-topic and derailing the thread.

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra
  • Veteran Member

^ I am actually rather enjoying this discussion. So I disagree that it is detailing the thread. it is well within topic, anyway.

Well, if you're happy with it, since you're the one who wants advice anyways, I guess...I need to bring the big guns out!

But, it isn't really within topic seeing as the title is "What Video Game Are You Playing These Days" and the only acceptable tangent was to give you a wee bit of advice on what to buy. This kind of debate can, on proper hardware forums, take pages and pages and, so, would consume this thread, which is more about sharing experiences than debating hardware. Then again, there's only three of us here so it won't last for that long...

• Development Team

Well, if you're happy with it, since you're the one who wants advice anyways, I guess...I need to bring the big guns out!

But, it isn't really within topic seeing as the title is "What Video Game Are You Playing These Days" and the only acceptable tangent was to give you a wee bit of advice on what to buy. This kind of debate can, on proper hardware forums, take pages and pages and, so, would consume this thread, which is more about sharing experiences than debating hardware. Then again, there's only three of us here so it won't last for that long...

And occasionally me.

• Veteran Member

I hate to dampen the professional mood, here, but this is what I am playing now:

sega-dreamcast-samba-de-amigo.jpg

It's a lot of fun. I am not into the genre (because I'm not Chinese), but this has to be the best "rhythm" game I've ever played. It's colorful, fun, and addictive. Great all around effort by Sonic Team; IMO their best game for the Dreamcast. 

• Veteran Member

^ Khadim, here, enlarged font in hopes you can correctly read what I wrote:

Sure. Until the 500$ card dies after a few months, or a new Direct X render it obsolete.

I wrote "dies" not "becomes obsolete after a few months". Electronic things can die.

Next time I hope you won't found your wall of text upon such an embarrassing mistake.

My 8800 GTX which cost me a small fortune did die in a few months. I've written about that and I have experienced it. I do not speak garbage from the tailpipe and make statements like "APU users can't play games". Anyone can see the owner of those golden words doesn't even know the whole idea behind the APU. And then he brings in sandy bridge to say it can also give display. LOL.

If you read the hardware forums on all the other websites out there, or those of amd and nvidia or asus then you will find them peppered with threads about dead hardware including a lot of dead on arrival cases. Perhaps then you will believe that it happens. The communist in me tells me that "flagship" cards, the most expensive ones are more prone to die early for obvious reasons and for the greater good of economy.

• Veteran Member

^ Khadim, here, enlarged font in hopes you can correctly read what I wrote:

I wrote "dies" not "becomes obsolete after a few months". Electronic things can die.

Next time I hope you won't found your wall of text upon such an embarrassing mistake.

My 8800 GTX which cost me a small fortune did die in a few months. I've written about that and I have experienced it. I do not speak garbage from the tailpipe and make statements like "APU users can't play games". Anyone can see the owner of those golden words doesn't even know the whole idea behind the APU. And then he brings in sandy bridge to say it can also give display. LOL.

If you read the hardware forums on all the other websites out there, or those of amd and nvidia or asus then you will find them peppered with threads about dead hardware including a lot of dead on arrival cases. Perhaps then you will believe that it happens. The communist in me tells me that "flagship" cards, the most expensive ones are more prone to die early for obvious reasons and for the greater good of economy.

And, if you read the entirety of my response, I did talk about hardware dying. Yes, sometimes hardware dies, maybe it's because the person didn't set up the ventilation properly and fried the components, maybe it was a factory defect or maybe it got damaged in shipping. You can't expect a company to sell millions of graphics cards and expect each and every one of them to work perfectly for the next century. That's why you have warranties and with most graphics cards coming with 2-3 years, you're well insured. After that time, most people upgrade anyways. Contrary to your position, the premium hardware actually has a longer warranty. And, yes, I'm sorry that your 8800 GTX died and maybe the graphics card I buy for my computer will die in a day but you can't project your personal experience to the entirety of a company's product line. Yours died in a month but others have been using their for the last five years. Why should your word carry more weight than theirs? Simply because you had a bad experience - and someone has to have a bad experience (probability) - that's not a valid reason to actually criticise the whole industry.

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra
  • Veteran Member

You can't expect a company to sell millions of graphics cards and expect each and every one of them to work perfectly for the next century.

And they single out and allege me of exaggeration. :D

We all know how the industry and economy works and all their tactics. We know how long a Rolls Royce which is the most expensive car -for a reason- will actually last a century. That is not the case in electronics.

Now if you have suggestions for Jackson I invite you to share them. Changed your mind about the APU, share it, please.

• Veteran Member

And they single out and allege me of exaggeration. :D

We all know how the industry and economy works and all their tactics. We know how long a Rolls Royce which is the most expensive car -for a reason- will actually last a century. That is not the case in electronics.

Now if you have suggestions for Jackson I invite you to share them. Changed your mind about the APU, share it, please.

I never said anything against APUs. In fact, I was the one who suggested them in the first place. And, when I had mentioned them, I had also said that I didn't pay too much attention to APUs because they weren't useful to me and left it to you - or a future me who had read more about them - to fill in the gaps for Baradar.

This debate about GPUs and high end stuff and whatnot had nothing to do with Baradar, which is why I said that we were derailing the thread. I only continued because, for some reason, Baradar seemed to be enjoying the discussion.

• Veteran Member

^ That brings back from memories for me. 

I remember me and my cousin going to a store in Iran and buying a copy of Max Payne 2. Or at least: we thought it was Max Payne 2. We put it in the 'puter, install it, and begin to play it. But it had nothing to do with Max Payne. It was a game called Mission Impossible. So we look at the packaging, and we see that it was written: "Max Payne 2: Mishen in pasibale."

#Iran

Edited by baradar_jackson

And all that time i thought Mafia 2 was the end to the classic world of crime & struggle for power. I WAS WRONG. 

2K games officially announced on tuesday, their plans of releasing the third installment in the Mafia series.

I hope Vito returns as the main protagonist. 

2912222-mafia3.jpg

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

And all that time i thought Mafia 2 was the end to the classic world of crime & struggle for power. I WAS WRONG. 

2K games officially announced on tuesday, their plans of releasing the third installment in the Mafia series.

I hope Vito returns as the main protagonist. 

2912222-mafia3.jpg

People are saying that the game is based in the 70's at best (see the muscle cars?), which would be 30 years after Mafia II. Vito could still be alive but...not very likely. Moreover, the game might have multiple protagonists (hence, the four people)...

• Veteran Member

lool bored housewives 

I'm serious kheyye. I read comments on youtube by females who spent somewhere in the area of 3000 dollars on a SINGLE Sims game (including all the expansion packs, stuff backs, DLC, etc.). Who in their right mind would do this? Unless they were incredibly bored and with a lot of money to spare (i.e. bored housewives)?

Sim City, Sim Farm, Sim Ant, etc... were all awesome games. But the Sims is a heaping pile of garbage. I hate it. Even though I've never played it lol

• Veteran Member

Thats a perfect example of extravagance. When people ask me what does Allah mean by extravagance thats it right there. Unbelievable. 

It's disgusting, innit. I mean even if you're gonna spend all that money on your entertainment, can't you think of something better than a stuff pack (which just has furniture and stoves and c.rap)????