Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Video Game Are You Playing These Days?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

SSD (no H) stands for solid state drive; simply put, unlike a mechanical hard drive which has a spinning disk, a SSD has no moving components (like a flash disk). Comparatively, it performs much better than a mechanical hard drive - you can cold boot in one second, applications start up much faster and reading and writing data is much better - but they are much more expensive than traditional hard drives: you can get a 1TB mechanical hard drive for $60-70 and in that money, you'd only get a 100 GB SSD. In order to mitigate the price difference, a lot of people use SSD caching, where you use a mechanical hard drive as the primary storage but add a small amount of SSD storage as well, which is what seems to be the case with what you've mentioned. This still improves performance and gives you some of the faster speeds that come with an SSD but with more storage and a cheaper price than if you were to go the pure SSD route. This sort of hybrid device is called a SSHD.

But, the specs you gave me last time has a (pure) 128GB SSD along with the hard drive...

And, the system you gave now, I don't know how its price compares to the last one, but you've just gone for an even worse graphics card: R9 260 to 240. If all you want is to play old, ancient games, then you shouldn't even be buying a graphics card - or you should go for an APU - but if you want to try out modern games, I'd suggest sticking with at least the R9 260.

If the price is better, then if it works for you, I guess you can go for it but if the prices are similar, the new system is wayyyy worse because you're getting worse storage and a worse GPU.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

:blink: This calls for a ban. Admins/Mods anyone????

Posted Images

• Veteran Member

^ What Khadim said.

SSD or solid state drive, although I have not used it yet, is supposed to be good. I just hope it doesn't go bad as fast as an ordinary, mechanical hard disk drive. Otherwise it is supposed to be quite faster in data transfer speeds than a HDD. Another one of its purposes is to eliminate the "bottle neck" in performance offered by hard disk drives. A bottle neck is something that holds back all the other hardware when the system is counting on it. It will also speed up windows boot up time considerably.

Until  the SSD and since almost two decades people were using the RAID technology which congregates two identical hard disk drives in a "RAID mode" which halves and distributes data evenly on the RAIDed hard disks, thus theoretically doubling the data transfer speeds. As a result, you don't get to wait forever while your favorite large game loads to fire up.

Sadly the other computer you have linked is cruddy.

• Veteran Member

@Baradar,

As you already know, I've been looking to buy a new computer for quite some time now and I've finally got everything in order and I'll probably purchase it next month. As a result, I've been looking at loads of different things so if you were to give me a budget and what you want to use it for, I can keep an eye out for you as well, when I'm researching parts for my computer. Plus, since you live in the US, you have a boatload of deals that you can avail which I'm up to date with but can't access.

• Veteran Member

I'm going to upgrade my gpu and ram when Direct3D 12 comes out. Because there is always a catch with each new little development. I'll also get a SSD or mSATA. I always look for durability and added protection in electronic hardware. Durability in these comes from two things. The reputation of the manufacturer. E.g., Gigabyte makes the best motherboards, hands down. Secondly and specifically, use of military grade capacitors. The capacitor (or "cap" to electronics geeks) dries its electrolyte after 8 years at most and then it will swell at the top and fail. Mil grade caps last longer and tolerate abuse. Another rule of thumb is that there should be good cooling or ventilation for any electronics. All the above reasons combined is why my overclocked HiS company model IceQ4+ turbo 4870 1GB 512 bit DDR5 gpu has survived since 2005, and I bought it for like 165$ back then. On the other hand, I have a few corpses of GPUs manufactured by MSI laying around which include a radeon 9800 pro and a expensive 8800 GTX. This 8800 turned out to be a huge disappointment and died in under 2 years.

• Veteran Member

I'm going to upgrade my gpu and ram when Direct3D 12 comes out. Because there is always a catch with each new little development. I'll also get a SSD or mSATA. I always look for durability and added protection in electronic hardware. Durability in these comes from two things. The reputation of the manufacturer. E.g., Gigabyte makes the best motherboards, hands down. Secondly and specifically, use of military grade capacitors. The capacitor (or "cap" to electronics geeks) dries its electrolyte after 8 years at most and then it will swell at the top and fail. Mil grade caps last longer and tolerate abuse. Another rule of thumb is that there should be good cooling or ventilation for any electronics. All the above reasons combined is why my overclocked HiS company model IceQ4+ turbo 4870 1GB 512 bit DDR5 gpu has survived since 2005, and I bought it for like 165$ back then. On the other hand, I have a few corpses of GPUs manufactured by MSI laying around which include a radeon 9800 pro and a expensive 8800 GTX. This 8800 turned out to be a huge disappointment and died in under 2 years.

Um, DX 12 is already out. It comes with Windows 10 which has already hit RTM and will be released in two days. Current hardware already supports it. The entire R9 300 series, including the Furies, support it fully, as do Nvidia's GTX 900 series. So, what are you waiting for?

Anyways, what are you going to buy then - the graphics card?

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra
  • Veteran Member

Um, DX 12 is already out. It comes with Windows 10 which has already hit RTM and will be released in two days. Current hardware already supports it. The entire R9 300 series, including the Furies, support it fully, as do Nvidia's GTX 900 series. So, what are you waiting for?

Anyways, what are you going to buy then - the graphics card?

I'm waiting for DX 12.1 and new shaders and hardware which will support it. I don't buy the bull that a new DX exclusive to a new Windows has every feature working with existing hardware. I know better. Remember DX 10 and DX 10.1? That's what they are most probably going to pull once more. I'll wait till winters. :lol: 

I will buy AMD definitely.

• Veteran Member

I'm waiting for DX 12.1 and new shaders and hardware which will support it. I don't buy the bull that a new DX exclusive to a new Windows has every feature working with existing hardware. I know better. Remember DX 10 and DX 10.1? That's what they are most probably going to pull once more. I'll wait till winters. :lol:

I will buy AMD definitely.

First off, yes, a lot of those cards do fully support DX12, especially if you're looking at the R9 300 series, the Furies and the GTX 980Ti because they were all released, like, a month ago.

Secondly, I was asking for a particular model.

And, AMD is HORRIBLE! They have worse drivers, which is undisputable. And, Nvidia's cards run cooler, quieter and almost always perform better. Right now, with the R9 300, AMD has a slight advantage but that's because they're half a year into Nvidia's cycle and the fact that they still aren't leapfrogging Nvidia - as is almost always the case when Nvidia puts out a new card - just goes to show  they can't compete.

Their only saving grace was price and even if you look there, at the high end at least, the Fury is actually worse than the 980Ti. The 390X is $70 cheaper than the 980 but the 980 has a significant performance advantage. They only beat the 970, and that too by a small margin. When you consider their driver support and whatnot - not to mention, the 390X is a blatant refresh and runs wayyy hotter and louder - Nvidia is, hands down, the winner.

• Veteran Member

^ Another reason not to buy now is precisely because those are new chips and no manufacturer truly finds out in the first batch. Later, they come up with the right combinations. There is no short cut to experience.

Not to mention that they will cost small fortunes right now. Must wait and see till mid winters. And why not, my overclocked 4870 is really kicking. :D

• Veteran Member

^ Another reason not to buy now is precisely because those are new chips and no manufacturer truly finds out in the first batch. Later, they come up with the right combinations. There is no short cut to experience.

Not to mention that they will cost small fortunes right now. Must wait and see till mid winters. And why not, my overclocked 4870 is really kicking. :D

Well, new cards are probably not going to come till next year (I'm guessing Winter is around September?) so your timeline is quite a bit off. And, because Nvidia will now be moving to Pascal, a smaller die than the current 28nm, there's no way of predicting when they will release the new cards. IT could early in the year or in June...

As for the price, graphics cards' prices don't really drop very often. They only drop if the new generation comes out so...why buy an older generation card when you can just go from, say, a 780 to a 970 in the latest generation (if you get what I mean) since performance will pretty much be the same in a -10 change in model between generations.

• Veteran Member

Dear Khadim & Vader:

Khadim I wrote SSHD because that's what was written on Lenovo's website: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/erazer/x-series/x315/

As for the other one I linked, what makes it so cruddy? The specs seem good.

Re: graphics card. The only modern game I will likely play is Shenmue 3, which will probably not come close to pushing the envelope for graphical capabilities. If I can use the on-board graphics for Shenmue 3, I can just sell the graphics card and recoup some money. Considering this, would you still not recommend that one?

Bro Khadim I want to spend anywhere from 500 to 650 or so dollars. It has to have an AMD processor (or Via, if possible) because Intel is a bunch of Zionuts. I want lots of RAM. Like, at least 8 gigs. And that's pretty much it. What can you find for me? First I want you to explain what was so terrible about the one I linked.

Bro Vader this is somewhat unrelated but do you know how to replace the capacitors in a CRT television? I want to do this but I want someone in the know to tell me how to do it so I don't ruin everything.

Edited by baradar_jackson
  • Veteran Member

Replacing capacitors is easy if you know how to solder. Just take out the bad cap, and solder in a new one of the same voltage and micro-farad ratings and 105 degree centigrade tolerance (better quality, same size). Grounding the lethal very high voltage charge (up to 50kv depending on size and model) in the CRT's picture tube is not for beginners and it has to be grounded first. You might find a youtube tutorial about that but remember that such a high voltage can not be insulated against using the usual materials and it can conduct through air to a earthed conductor (your body) from at least a couple of inches away. I can not stress this enough -- high voltage kills. And no this statement is not casual and same as similar others like "over speeding kills". This is why I do not, do not even open the casings of a CRT or mess with HV projects like Tesla coils. Electrocutions are one thing I have come to really dislike about reality.

While caps of anything above 24 volts and usually up to 400v which are found in a CRT power supply board able to run on 220v wall input, also need to be grounded first and foremost. You can do that easily by shorting its two leads with a small screw driver while holding it by the insulated handle. IMO just take the CRT to a professional.

By the way, how do you know that your CRT has a bad cap? Is it disc shaped and burnt? It could be a varistor if its disc shaped and at the start of the wall input circuit.

• Veteran Member

Dear Khadim & Vader:

Khadim I wrote SSHD because that's what was written on Lenovo's website: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/erazer/x-series/x315/

As for the other one I linked, what makes it so cruddy? The specs seem good.

Re: graphics card. The only modern game I will likely play is Shenmue 3, which will probably not come close to pushing the envelope for graphical capabilities. If I can use the on-board graphics for Shenmue 3, I can just sell the graphics card and recoup some money. Considering this, would you still not recommend that one?

Bro Khadim I want to spend anywhere from 500 to 650 or so dollars. It has to have an AMD processor (or Via, if possible) because Intel is a bunch of Zionuts. I want lots of RAM. Like, at least 8 gigs. And that's pretty much it. What can you find for me? First I want you to explain what was so terrible about the one I linked.

Bro Vader this is somewhat unrelated but do you know how to replace the capacitors in a CRT television? I want to do this but I want someone in the know to tell me how to do it so I don't ruin everything.

Yes, I know you wrote SSHD and I didn't say that wasn't accurate. But, in order to explain what a SSHD is, you need to know what a SSD is, which is what I did. In the last sentence of the paragraph, I then explained what a SSHD (with the H) is. Recap: a SSD is a faster, more efficient means of storage than traditional hard drives but is more expensive; a SSHD is a combination of both types, faster than your traditional hard drive but slower than a pure SSD, while saving you some money compared to a pure SSD.

I did not say it was cruddy; those were our Lord Vader's words.

I did say that the specs of this one are worse than those of the last one you posted and, so, if the prices of the two are the same, then you should go for the previous ones. If this gives you significant savings compared to the previous, then go for this one. Since I don't know the price of the last one, it's hard to compare. As they stand, the last one had a 128GB pure SSD, while this one only has a 8GB SSD cache in the 1TB + 8GB SSHD, which is very small and might not give a very significant difference when compared to a pure mechanical hard drive. Also, the graphics card in this one is a R9 240, instead of a 260 in the old one. Graphics card, as I'm sure you know, decrease in power as the numbering goes down: the R9 240 is probably two models below the 260 and so should be around 20-30% less powerful - though these are just rough figures from me and the benchmarks might say something very different.

I can't comment on whether a R9 240 will be good enough for Shenmue 3 because we have no idea about how good Shenmue 3 will be from a graphical standpoint. Until they release minimum specs, all I can tell you is that the 260 is better than the 240.

I don't see the logic behind disliking Intel. Literally every company uses some technology that was developed in Israel; if you think AMD doesn't, you're fooling yourself. And, as far as quality goes, Intel's processors are just better, hands down.

On a side note, what might work very well for you is an APU: basically, it's like a smartphone SoC. You have the CPU and GPU combined. AMD is making those now and they actually offer relatively good performance. You might even save some money by not buying two separate parts. I'm not very familiar with them, though, so maybe I'll read up a bit about them before saying anything more. On the other hand, if you plan to sell the graphics card after playing Shenmue - or if Shenmue doesn't need anything more than the integrated graphics of the CPU - then obviously an APU will work against you, as you can't remove the graphics chip and sell it.

Regarding a specific suggestion, you've just given me your budget and what you want. Like I've said, I'm looking at loads of options at the moment so, with time, if an interesting option pops up that I think is good and does what you want, I'll post it here. Right now, though, I don't have any.

• Veteran Member

"Literally every company uses some technology that was developed in Israel"

Statements like this give "Israel" way too much credit. As if to say: MashAllah, Israel is the epicenter of knowledge and production in the world. 

Israel doesn't produce jack. 

Intel and AMD are both American companies, both based in California. In silicon valley. Period. There is nothing Israeli about either of them. The difference between them is that although both of them have R&D facilities in Israel, Intel has a buttload of them, and Intel displaced an entire Palestinian village to build one of their Israeli plants  In other words: AMD has a typical business relationship with the cancer, whereas Intel has a special, cannibalistic relationship with it. Thus, AMD is preferable in this regard. But neither of the companies are Israeli. Nothing is Israeli. This point has to be made perfectly clear: nothing is Israeli. 

As for the price difference: 

The one I posted earlier is no longer available from newegg. It was on newegg with a special sale price of 620 dollars (US). I can buy it from lenovo's website. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/erazer/x-series/x315/

But the specs they show there are different from what I saw on newegg. 

• Veteran Member

^ They all look fine. But there are these annoying horizontal lines on the top of the screen

Seek professional help.

On a side note, what might work very well for you is an APU: basically, it's like a smartphone SoC. You have the CPU and GPU combined. AMD is making those now and they actually offer relatively good performance. You might even save some money by not buying two separate parts. I'm not very familiar with them, though, so maybe I'll read up a bit about them before saying anything more. On the other hand, if you plan to sell the graphics card after playing Shenmue - or if Shenmue doesn't need anything more than the integrated graphics of the CPU - then obviously an APU will work against you, as you can't remove the graphics chip and sell it.

I agree. In case the APU eventually proves lacking then you can add a proper GPU to the system. For Shenmue 3 and video editing, a powerful APU should be more than enough.

• Veteran Member

I read that AMD is near to launch a new line of APUs but if you must buy now, this season, then A10-7870K APU is the best and most powerful APU. It has a inbuilt Radeon R7. Put that on a larger sized, performance motherboard from Gigabyte and slap in DDR3 RAM modules 3 GB x 4 @ 2400 mhz. Now place it in a nice casing, I know you will love pink and blue lights inside. :p Power it all with a Antec 500W power supply unit. Get a Razer mouse and a nice keyboard. And a LCD display in a size of your choosing. And your done!

I looked at newegg and found only 1 combo offering with a Gigabyte motherboard. (Only use motherboards from Gigabyte! No Asus, no anything else! This is a must!)

Here it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2406048

Now newegg.com is the only online retailer I trust. Secondly, the combo above has a tad inferior RAM (1600 mhz -- not so great for gaming needs -- should be 2400 mhz but those are being offered with ASUS motherboards which are a no-no). So thats all for now. May be bro Khadim can find out more.

P.S.: Jackson I know you will be pleasantly surprised if you read reviews and comparison on that APU my boy (google A10-7870 comparison). It beats a 259$ Intel CPU AND a Nvidia 780 GT GPU combo (which is around 400$ total?) both and itself costs 150$. This is the way to beat Zionists!

• Veteran Member

^ OK that one seems awesome and super cheap. That's it. Vader wins. That's the one I am getting.

So you recommend replacing the power source? Bc that one comes with a power source but not the one you recommended

Edited by baradar_jackson
  • Veteran Member

The one linked does not seem up to par dude. It would be wrong of me to advise you something which I myself do not like for myself. It has to have 2400 mhz DDR3 RAM on a Gigabyte mobo. The one I linked has 1600 mhz RAM and its 8 GB. Rule of thumb in buying a new piece of computer hardware is to be patient. You should read user reviews (not website reviews which are usually paid to write them) of each component you are about to buy. The APU, the mobo, the RAM, the SSD and the HDD. User reviews and votes on newegg are often quite revealing.

So please re-read my post. Its not a final advice. Also I hope bro Khadim will chime in and have something good to add, as he usually does.

As for changing the power supply unit (PSU), you must be referring to the beginning of my post. I should have written there that that part applies if you are able to put together your own desktop PC. That is what I do. Its not for making changes in the machine for sale which I linked after that. Sorry for my mistake.

• Veteran Member

It will cost money when you will turn in yours to buy better.

Putting together your own desktop PC by assembling all the components is easy. There are even free guides complete with precautions and all floating on the interwebz. Or even "For Dummies" series book which you can buy. If you can do that then that will be fine. Otherwise just search for a better combo deal offer on newegg. Or wait. My recommendation put it together yourself. You will need this know-how if you plan on keeping a desktop PC and do not like taking it to shops for petty little things like installing new hard disks or new windows or a new BIOS battery cell. The insides is pretty neatly organized and very user friendly.

I will guide you through. I can also message you my number and you can reach me on Viber. I will talk you through the process.

• AMD Radeon R9 260 2 GB

There is no R9 260 GPU in the High end AMD R9 series. 260 is in the pool of Mid level R7 series which refuses to perform against the high end games like COD:AW, BF4, Metro:Last Light, Sleeping dogs, Wolfenstein:Last Blood at high graphic settings.

P.S.: Jackson I know you will be pleasantly surprised if you read reviews and comparison on that APU my boy (google A10-7870 comparison). It beats a 259$ Intel CPU AND a Nvidia 780 GT GPU combo (which is around 400$ total?) both and itself costs 150$. This is the way to beat Zionists!

Wth did i just read? vader u recommending a low end pc who demands a modern day gaming rig? 

Take a look at this

CPU Mark Relative to Top 10 Common CPUs

As of 27th of July 2015 - Higher results represent better performance Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz

Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz

Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz

AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core

Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz

AMD FX-6300 Six-Core

AMD A10-7870K

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

PassMark Software © 2008-2015

I fail to understand how such a Processor will deliver against games like GTA V, Far cry, Crysis & many other games including the one i mentioned above. It may give a better value against its counterparts but it loses badly in terms of performance.

As a long time gamer i would not suggest you to go for AMD APU's or CPU's, Buy a 1150 socket board with a single PCI express 3.0 slot that supports DDR4 RAM & an intel 4790k processor, I will beat shi* out of games like GTA V, Battlefield, Witcher 3 etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128715

Oh & ofcourse the GPU, Go for Nvidia GTX 970; works absolutely fine for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

You may tremble upon finding out the price of these components but according to my calculation based upon my experience u wont need to upgrade any of these in the next 4-8 years assuming that they dont die out.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The initial installment of Hitman series disappointed me but this one took the place. What a perfect storyline for an agent & a terrific gameplay.

hitman-absolution-3.png

2019374-943495_20121117_004.jpg

339483609.jpg

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

There is no R9 260 GPU in the High end AMD R9 series. 260 is in the pool of Mid level R7 series which refuses to perform against the high end games like COD:AW, BF4, Metro:Last Light, Sleeping dogs, Wolfenstein:Last Blood at high graphic settings.

Wth did i just read? vader u recommending a low end pc who demands a modern day gaming rig? 

Take a look at this

CPU Mark Relative to Top 10 Common CPUs

As of 27th of July 2015 - Higher results represent better performance Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz

Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz

Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz

AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core

Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz

AMD FX-6300 Six-Core

AMD A10-7870K

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

PassMark Software © 2008-2015

I fail to understand how such a Processor will deliver against games like GTA V, Far cry, Crysis & many other games including the one i mentioned above. It may give a better value against its counterparts but it loses badly in terms of performance.

As a long time gamer i would not suggest you to go for AMD APU's or CPU's, Buy a 1150 socket board with a single PCI express 3.0 slot that supports DDR4 RAM & an intel 4790k processor, I will beat shi* out of games like GTA V, Battlefield, Witcher 3 etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128715

Oh & ofcourse the GPU, Go for Nvidia GTX 970; works absolutely fine for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

You may tremble upon finding out the price of these components but according to my calculation based upon my experience u wont need to upgrade any of these in the next 4 years assuming that they dont die out.

You're giving a high end machine for someone who wants to play modern games. Baradar, here, only wants to play Shenumue 3. That's the only modern game he is interested in and, apart from that, he's into old, arcade games that could probably run on an Android Wear GPU. 

You're giving a high end machine for someone who wants to play modern games. Baradar, here, only wants to play Shenumue 3. That's the only modern game he is interested in and, apart from that, he's into old, arcade games that could probably run on an Android Wear GPU. 

What if shenumue 4 comes out with more refined graphics & interface (which is a definite). I tell u its my personal experience; i always regretted after going for a cheap pc or a component to fulfill my gaming desire. It best to invest one time rather than to play on short term basis. 

& this is not a high end machine tbh  -_-

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

What if shenumue 4 comes out with more refined graphics & interface (which is a definite). I tell u its my personal experience; i always regretted after going for a cheap pc or a component to fulfill my gaming desire. It best to invest one time rather than to play on short term basis. 

& this is not a high end machine tbh  -_-

You just suggested an Intel i7 4790K - a processor whose sole purpose is to allow overclocking - a GTX 970 and DD4. I'm building a pretty high end system for myself to last years but even I haven't considered DDR4 because it's sooo damn expensive. The system would easily reach $1200 - maybe $1000 if you went with DDR3 - and that, to most, is quite expensive. Unless you want to go ape-crazy and buy a quad-SLI GTX 980Ti, for most, that is not only quite expensive but also a high-end system, especially if you're playing at 1080p.

And, you don't really understand anything about Baradar if you think he's ever going to come close to needing a GTX 970. Just a week ago, someone was able to run Half Life on an Android Wear device, an incredibly under powered device if you compare it to anything else on the market today. The games Baradar likes, they are at least as old as Half Life - if not more. If it wasn't for Shenmue 3, I'd say that even an integrated graphics card would be overkill.

And, Shenmue 3 won't be out for another 2 years, at least. With the game already being funded by the public, the future of a Shenmue 4 is very much in the air. Even if it does get financed, development will still take another 2 years, approaching 2019-2020. Buying a high-end graphics card today, when you don't need it, for a game to be released five years later...not a very sound decision to me.

• Veteran Member

Putting an APU in a competition with CPUs while using a benchmark software meant for CPUs is retarded. And the A10 will run all games just fine provided he doesn't go to super high resolutions. And that without the super expensive Intel processors and GPUs like the ones you mention. Jackson is not going to super screen resolutions like 2400 x 1600 like a GTA nutter living in mum's basement to game 24/7. I myself use 1360x768 . With AA it is perfect on my 32" LCD screen and my core i3 2120 and 4870 run every game without slow downs or other problems (but of course without the DX11 and later improved graphical features, little nuances which I no longer deem an essential factor for enjoying a video game).

If he eventually does want those things then he can add a GPU to the system later on.

Edited by Darth Vader

^ Bro invoker if that happens I can just play it on the lowest settings. I really don't care.

Playing in low settings doesnt hit the spot baradar.

You just suggested an Intel i7 4790K - a processor whose sole purpose is to allow overclocking - a GTX 970 and DD4. I'm building a pretty high end system for myself to last years but even I haven't considered DDR4 because it's sooo damn expensive. The system would easily reach $1200 - maybe $1000 if you went with DDR3 - and that, to most, is quite expensive. Unless you want to go ape-crazy and buy a quad-SLI GTX 980Ti, for most, that is not only quite expensive but also a high-end system, especially if you're playing at 1080p.

And, you don't really understand anything about Baradar if you think he's ever going to come close to needing a GTX 970. Just a week ago, someone was able to run Half Life on an Android Wear device, an incredibly under powered device if you compare it to anything else on the market today. The games Baradar likes, they are at least as old as Half Life - if not more.

The processor delivers perfectly @stock speed but its a cherry on the top if it allows for overclocking as well. Do u know the 2nd generation i5 2500k if overclocked competes the 4th generation 4770k @ its stock speed. So who knows when the 7th or 8th generation processors come out & baradar gets the same performance just by overclocking his processor @ the cost of just an ordinary cpu cooler? Think sharp & think clever my friend.

& i didnt say anything about which RAM baradar should get, all i said that the mobo should support DDR4 (future proof). He has the option of installing a DDR3 RAM as well which is quiet cheap if you get a second hand from the market. 

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

Personally I believe all those fancy "high end" pricey hardware exist because of the business idea of "emperor's new clothes". This chrome doodad is for gaming enthusiasts and costs only 599$! And then some loser will start imagining that with the crutch he will either be the boss in games or others will take him for a cool dude, which are both incorrect imaginations. Rather the hardware industry is the one that becomes kings as they milk out people with more money than brains.

Personally I believe all those fancy "high end" pricey hardware exist because of the business idea of "emperor's new clothes". This chrome doodad is for gaming enthusiasts and costs only 599$! And then some loser will start imagining that with the crutch he will either be the boss in games or others will take him for a cool dude, which are both incorrect imaginations. Rather the hardware industry is the one that becomes kings as they milk out people with more money than brains.

Technology is advancing just bcoz its profitable & rewarding or else mankind would have been still living in the stone age.Take the example of Nikola Tesla, the bankers & pristine capitalists were not interested in his vision of free energy for mankind & eventually his research died with its inventor. 

Although i agree that hardware components are initially over priced but its with everything not just pc hardware & i must say a rig like the one i suggested will give a pretty shining performance against any game that is about to come in the next 4 to 8 years. XBOX 360 had a lifecycle of approx 8.5 years until its successor XBOX ONE came out & we all know that ONE will be a terrible pain in the ars* for the console gamers due to its protection capability against pirated games which was not the case with XBOX 360. What a nightmare for a guy like me to spend RS.7000 for just one game. Long live PC gaming, Long live Skidrow, Long live R.G mechanics, Long live Reloaded & Long live all the crackers out there. 

Edited by Invoker
  • Veteran Member

I don't think that's entirely true - then again, you were always more of a conspiracy theorist than me. Yes, especially when it comes to peripherals, that is true but the actual components - especially the graphics card - do provide enough of an advantage to warrant the higher price.

• Veteran Member

Sure. Until the 500$ card dies after a few months, or a new Direct X render it obsolete. Its simple experience. But, it is of course also a conspiracy theory since it upsets the expectations and trends already instilled in the minds of the mass consumers pumping life force into this fascist system with their sweat and blood. And anything like that can safely be labelled as a conspiracy theory and brushed aside.

What advantage does it provide? Super high resolutions? Low carbon footprint? Fancy graphics? 120 fps? (Always laughable because over 60 fps the human eye can't tell the difference). Those are all cruddiest reasons.

What makes games enjoyable is the idea behind them to be appreciated, the content, the comfort and entertainment they offer. If someone instead debated that a 40" display should be used I would tend to agree. Because there is entertainment and joy in watching things on bigger screens. If someone complained that I did not recommend a 5.1 or a 7.1 audio system I would understand, because the surround sound is great to have. But a Core i7 9000K or some monster like that with 8, 10 or 12 cores, I would say why the heck? Because the most popular game engines usually do not even use more than 2 or 4 cores and those that do have difficulties and its a developer's nightmare. They don't even roll out 64 bit executables for their games to utilize from that decade old advantage. Guess why. And benchmark softwares are just silly and get nothing but facepalm from me. Do you even know what these benchmark programs look for in CPUs and that most games don't even utilize all of the horsepowers those "best" CPUs have to offer and rather depend on very specific CPU capabilities like its "floating point" performance?

But I digress. And like I wrote, its up to whatever feels right to an individual, always, and regarding every thing in life, and not the facts. If you need the most expensive hardware to enjoy an activity then perhaps you will also enjoy shooting birds with antique guns made of gold which cost fortunes?

Edited by Darth Vader