Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Video Game Are You Playing These Days?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

What gets me off on this whole Shenmue 3 saga is how this game will only be released on PS4 and maybe PC. What will the nostalgic Baradar do? Shell out $400 for a PS4 and abandon his archaic memorabilia? Not play the game he's crazy about? Will he join us in the 21st Century or will he stay in the last? Join us in 2016 to find out!

Or we'll start a shiachat fundraiser for a PS4 for Baradar.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

:blink: This calls for a ban. Admins/Mods anyone????

Posted Images

• Veteran Member

What gets me off on this whole Shenmue 3 saga is how this game will only be released on PS4 and maybe PC. What will the nostalgic Baradar do? Shell out $400 for a PS4 and abandon his archaic memorabilia? Not play the game he's crazy about? Will he join us in the 21st Century or will he stay in the last? Join us in 2016 to find out!

Maybe PC?

Dude, PC version was announced since Day #1. In fact, the physical version of the game was gonna be PC-only until in the last week or so of the kickstarter when they announced physical PS4 version.

And yes, I will be getting a modern gaming PC some time in the next two years. Not only to play Shenmue 3 (I am not that much of a nerd)  but because my laptop died and I am currently a vagabond, using other people's computers to perform my daily internets.

• Veteran Member

^ The laptop I had was perfectly adequate for performing the typical day-to-day functions of a computer. It's not like I was using a Commodore or anything. I just didn't have anything capable of playing modern games. 

• Veteran Member

FINALLY a post that br. pwwnd123 can appreciate: I am currently playing Super Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii

Thoughts:

- Looks nice. In fact, it's the best looking Wii game I've played so far (admittedly I haven't played many), The backgrounds are pre-rendered and the environments are mostly plain (although to be fair some of them have a lot of great detail). What impresses me the most is the level of detail in the characters themselves. Maybe I am on drugs but I think the character models are just as detailed as in Smash Bros Wii U. Of course, the Wii doesn't output HD like the Wii U does, so it doesn't matter all that much. Either way, it's a nice-looking game and a big improvement over Mele.

- More characters. That's always nice. My favorites to play as are Donkey Kong and Samus. I mean if you have played any Smash Bros game, you will know how to control your character. Nothing has changed, not even the controller.

- Is it just me or is the gameplay in this version a bit simplified compared to the other games? I find that I can repeat the same move throughout an entire match and beat the AI opponents. In any case, it doesn't matter much, The multiplayer mode is what matters, not the single player campaign. And this is very fun to play with friends.

Overall: I kind of like the N64 version the best, in spite of its technical inferiority. It was the perfect combination of chaos and strategy that made the first game so fun. But this Wii version is also good. It's pretty affordable, too. You can buy a Wii and this game (together), for the price of Super Smash Bros Wii U. 

Or if you have an external hard drive lying around you can use an application called USB loader to load a game rom onto the Wii and play it that way. That way, it's free. 

The fighting game for the Wii I really want to try out is Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. 

• Veteran Member

Belated Eid Mubarik guys. :p

Sound the alarms! Judgement Day is coming! The sun is rising from the West! Baradar will buy a modern PC, the end of the world is surely nigh.

For baradar:

While console fans waste their time bickering over whether Destiny is better on Xbox One or PS4, PC owners game in style on the superior platform. Not only does the PC let you play AAA console hits like Dark Souls 2 or Far Cry 4, it is the only platform offering such games as Starcraft 2 and League of Legends. If you have a little patience, almost anything not involving Master Chief or Mario eventually makes it to your desktop or laptop.

PC games receive some of the heaviest discounts (I'm looking at you, Steam Sale), ensuring you get the most for your money. With digital libraries that stretch back decades, PC owners also enjoy a range of titles unmatched by any other platform. Let's not even talk about graphics; that would be too embarrassing for the console peasantry, as they are saddled with 900p resolutions and 30 fps gameplay on some of the biggest franchises. 

If you're ready to game in style, check out this selection of the best titles the PC has to offer.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-pc-games,review-2545.html

Welcome. I knew you would see the light and ascend.^^^

• Advanced Member

FINALLY a post that br. pwwnd123 can appreciate: I am currently playing Super Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii

Thoughts:

- Looks nice. In fact, it's the best looking Wii game I've played so far (admittedly I haven't played many), The backgrounds are pre-rendered and the environments are mostly plain (although to be fair some of them have a lot of great detail). What impresses me the most is the level of detail in the characters themselves. Maybe I am on drugs but I think the character models are just as detailed as in Smash Bros Wii U. Of course, the Wii doesn't output HD like the Wii U does, so it doesn't matter all that much. Either way, it's a nice-looking game and a big improvement over Mele.

- More characters. That's always nice. My favorites to play as are Donkey Kong and Samus. I mean if you have played any Smash Bros game, you will know how to control your character. Nothing has changed, not even the controller.

- Is it just me or is the gameplay in this version a bit simplified compared to the other games? I find that I can repeat the same move throughout an entire match and beat the AI opponents. In any case, it doesn't matter much, The multiplayer mode is what matters, not the single player campaign. And this is very fun to play with friends.

Overall: I kind of like the N64 version the best, in spite of its technical inferiority. It was the perfect combination of chaos and strategy that made the first game so fun. But this Wii version is also good. It's pretty affordable, too. You can buy a Wii and this game (together), for the price of Super Smash Bros Wii U. 

Or if you have an external hard drive lying around you can use an application called USB loader to load a game rom onto the Wii and play it that way. That way, it's free. 

The fighting game for the Wii I really want to try out is Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. 

Both Brawl and Melee are good but Melee is just more fun.

• Veteran Member

^ The laptop I had was perfectly adequate for performing the typical day-to-day functions of a computer. It's not like I was using a Commodore or anything. I just didn't have anything capable of playing modern games. 

And, once you graduate to a modern computer, you will finally come to the 'light' - as our Lord Vader called it - and abandon your anicent, Jahilliyya practices.

Let us all welcome Baradar to the Enlightenment, people!

By the way, Baradar, just so that I know I haven't misunderstood, when you say a 'modern PC' exactly what are you looking at?

• Veteran Member

Belated Eid Mubarik guys. :P

For baradar:

Welcome. I knew you would see the light and ascend.^^^

From a technical and economical standpoint, there is no purpose for the X-Box One or PS4. However, that does not mean there was never a technical or economical purpose for consoles. I have repeated this point time and time again but you master racers don't get it: top of the line home computers used to cost well over 2 thousand US dollars. Consoles costed at most 400. You do the math. 

Even aside from the fact that PCs are way cheaper now, a console can prove its worth by providing a unique and different experience; for example, the Wii U. There are certain experiences possible on it which are not possible on the PC. Disregarding the exclusive games: let's assume that Smash Bros Wii U were available for PC. How are you gonna play it? Drag your case out of its little nest and hook it up to your TV using a friggin 2-feet long VGA cable, and then somehow give birth to eight USB ports so you can plug in eight X-Box controllers? 

Local multiplayer will have to be the selling point of future consoles, because this is an area where the PC as a platform always lacked. Don't get me wrong; I would love playing Rise of Nations against friends using LAN. But that's cumbersome. 

Both Brawl and Melee are good but Melee is just more fun.

Melee is more fun but I was speaking purely in terms of graphics when I said Brawl looks better.

And, once you graduate to a modern computer, you will finally come to the 'light' - as our Lord Vader called it - and abandon your anicent, Jahilliyya practices.

Let us all welcome Baradar to the Enlightenment, people!

By the way, Baradar, just so that I know I haven't misunderstood, when you say a 'modern PC' exactly what are you looking at?

I showed it to Lord Vader. Ask him to show you. I lost the link. But suffice to say: he approves.

• Veteran Member

From a technical and economical standpoint, there is no purpose for the X-Box One or PS4. However, that does not mean there was never a technical or economical purpose for consoles. I have repeated this point time and time again but you master racers don't get it: top of the line home computers used to cost well over 2 thousand US dollars. Consoles costed at most 400. You do the math. 

Even aside from the fact that PCs are way cheaper now, a console can prove its worth by providing a unique and different experience; for example, the Wii U. There are certain experiences possible on it which are not possible on the PC. Disregarding the exclusive games: let's assume that Smash Bros Wii U were available for PC. How are you gonna play it? Drag your case out of its little nest and hook it up to your TV using a friggin 2-feet long VGA cable, and then somehow give birth to eight USB ports so you can plug in eight X-Box controllers? 

Local multiplayer will have to be the selling point of future consoles, because this is an area where the PC as a platform always lacked. Don't get me wrong; I would love playing Rise of Nations against friends using LAN. But that's cumbersome. 

Melee is more fun but I was speaking purely in terms of graphics when I said Brawl looks better.

I showed it to Lord Vader. Ask him to show you. I lost the link. But suffice to say: he approves.

So, it's your computer but you neither know the model and nor do you have the link to it? Exactly how do you plan on buying it when the appointed time comes and you are supposed to bring about the end of the world?

• Veteran Member

So, it's your computer but you neither know the model and nor do you have the link to it? Exactly how do you plan on buying it when the appointed time comes and you are supposed to bring about the end of the world?

OK found it. Here are the specs

• AMD FX-Series FX-770K (3.5GHz)
  • 12GB DDR3 1TB HDD 128GB SSD
  • AMD Radeon R9 260 2 GB
  • Veteran Member

OK found it. Here are the specs

• AMD FX-Series FX-770K (3.5GHz)
  • 12GB DDR3 1TB HDD 128GB SSD
  • AMD Radeon R9 260 2 GB

Why on Earth are you getting 12GB of RAM when the rest of your build is mostly not too powerful? You should cut back on the RAM - get 8, it's enough, unless you actually need 12 for some reason. With the $50 or so you save, buy a better graphics card.

• Veteran Member

8 GB is not enough anymore because:

- he wants to do some heavy video editing. A HD DVD disk is more than 8 GB. Frequent disk access in such situations will decrease hard disk life.

- some games today, on PC, will exceed 8 GB working memory especially after some time. E.g., Age of Conan.

- we do not know how much working memory will windows 10 take up. Vista took nearly 1 GB.

I just hope he remembers to install a 64 bit operating system because a 32 bit OS will ignore memory above 4 GB. Secondly, in Windows control panel --> Page file settings you have to disable windows page file on a machine with 8 GB+ RAM (and a 64 bit OS to utilize it) in order to witness the difference and robustness of it.

R9 is currently the best video card when you're looking for "bang for the bucks" and forward compatibility with Direct3D. Nvidia sucks goats even if it can roll out good drivers immediately. He does not want Nvidia so its a moot point anyway.

Actually he should have linked the system so you could see its very affordable price.

• Veteran Member

Why on Earth are you getting 12GB of RAM when the rest of your build is mostly not too powerful? You should cut back on the RAM - get 8, it's enough, unless you actually need 12 for some reason. With the $50 or so you save, buy a better graphics card.

Vader explained why. I will be using this for more than just gaming.

I'll take a picture as I am installing Windows 98 on it just for you Khadim ;)

• Veteran Member

Gaiz we need to set up our own servers for some multiplayer action. In fact there should be a separate subforum for this to attract attention to it: it can be called "game session planning" or something or other. 

Edited by baradar_jackson
  • Veteran Member

Vader I, the lowly ignorant Sega peasant, have some questions for you:

1) What the crud is SSHD memory and why is it so special? I am asking because newegg sold out my computer, The Lenovo website is still selling them but the one with 8 gigs of RAM. Also: there is a 50 dollar difference between two which are identical to each other except that one of them, in addition to a 1TB hard drive, has 8 gigs of SSHD. What the hell does SS stand for? Super SATA? Schutzstafel?

2) What about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220567&leaderboard=1 

It has almost the same specs but is cheaper. 

• Veteran Member

Vader I, the lowly ignorant Sega peasant, have some questions for you:

1) What the crud is SSHD memory and why is it so special? I am asking because newegg sold out my computer, The Lenovo website is still selling them but the one with 8 gigs of RAM. Also: there is a 50 dollar difference between two which are identical to each other except that one of them, in addition to a 1TB hard drive, has 8 gigs of SSHD. What the hell does SS stand for? Super SATA? Schutzstafel?

2) What about this?

It has almost the same specs but is cheaper.

SSD (no H) stands for solid state drive; simply put, unlike a mechanical hard drive which has a spinning disk, a SSD has no moving components (like a flash disk). Comparatively, it performs much better than a mechanical hard drive - you can cold boot in one second, applications start up much faster and reading and writing data is much better - but they are much more expensive than traditional hard drives: you can get a 1TB mechanical hard drive for $60-70 and in that money, you'd only get a 100 GB SSD. In order to mitigate the price difference, a lot of people use SSD caching, where you use a mechanical hard drive as the primary storage but add a small amount of SSD storage as well, which is what seems to be the case with what you've mentioned. This still improves performance and gives you some of the faster speeds that come with an SSD but with more storage and a cheaper price than if you were to go the pure SSD route. This sort of hybrid device is called a SSHD.

But, the specs you gave me last time has a (pure) 128GB SSD along with the hard drive...

And, the system you gave now, I don't know how its price compares to the last one, but you've just gone for an even worse graphics card: R9 260 to 240. If all you want is to play old, ancient games, then you shouldn't even be buying a graphics card - or you should go for an APU - but if you want to try out modern games, I'd suggest sticking with at least the R9 260.

If the price is better, then if it works for you, I guess you can go for it but if the prices are similar, the new system is wayyyy worse because you're getting worse storage and a worse GPU.

SSD (no H) stands for solid state drive; simply put, unlike a mechanical hard drive which has a spinning disk, a SSD has no moving components (like a flash disk). Comparatively, it performs much better than a mechanical hard drive - you can cold boot in one second, applications start up much faster and reading and writing data is much better - but they are much more expensive than traditional hard drives: you can get a 1TB mechanical hard drive for $60-70 and in that money, you'd only get a 100 GB SSD. In order to mitigate the price difference, a lot of people use SSD caching, where you use a mechanical hard drive as the primary storage but add a small amount of SSD storage as well, which is what seems to be the case with what you've mentioned. This still improves performance and gives you some of the faster speeds that come with an SSD but with more storage and a cheaper price than if you were to go the pure SSD route. This sort of hybrid device is called a SSHD.

But, the specs you gave me last time has a (pure) 128GB SSD along with the hard drive...

And, the system you gave now, I don't know how its price compares to the last one, but you've just gone for an even worse graphics card: R9 260 to 240. If all you want is to play old, ancient games, then you shouldn't even be buying a graphics card - or you should go for an APU - but if you want to try out modern games, I'd suggest sticking with at least the R9 260.

If the price is better, then if it works for you, I guess you can go for it but if the prices are similar, the new system is wayyyy worse because you're getting worse storage and a worse GPU.

Edited by Haydar Husayn