Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Video Game Are You Playing These Days?

Rate this topic

The Green Knight

• Advanced Member

Why?

It had far better graphics on the GameCube than PS2. It was designed for the GameCube so the graphics were great on that system than PS2. I am still maintaining that point. The GameCube original will still be the best. I have a GameCube.

• Veteran Member

I totally agree with you.  The game that really sealed the deal for me was watching friends play Madden games on DC.  Overall it was just such a good system.  I would actually say that whatever Sega put out there, their system was the superior one.  Whether that's the Master System, Genesis, Saturn, or Dreamcast, they all rocked.

I would even be happy to get my hands on a good Dreamcase emulator.

You're right though- nobody's taking the memories.  They were great ones too!

Bro I'm pretty sure you mean NFL 2K.

There are no Madden games (or any EA games) on the Dreamcast.

That was the beauty of it all.

EA were being a bunch of [female dogs] about the Saturn's hardware, saying it was too hard to make games for it. So they didn't support the Dreamcast. Sega said: ok, we'll make our own sports games. And the games they made were lightyears ahead of anything EA had ever made until that point. What a burn.

The GameCube did had some nice Sega games like Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg and so many other great games. The GameCube was a treat for Sega fans. The GameCube had the Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero which were GameCube exclusive. Super Smash Bros. Melee was the most bought game for the GameCube and was one of the best fighting games ever made and the best fighting game of all time and that's right next to it's successor Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The GameCube controller is the most comfortable controller and best controller of that console generation. It's layout was best and it was better than the N64 controller.

True but the Wii was technically an enhanced or improved GameCube. The Wii Remote was cutting edge as most people thought even though the NES had the Power Glove before the Wii Remote even existed. The NES Power Glove was a flop anyways. Super Mario Galaxy looked nice and so did it's sequel Super Mario Galaxy 2 and it even looked far beautiful than any other Wii game except for Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. But still the PS3 beat it with some of it's games. The two Super Mario Galaxies are just on par with some PS3 games. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 have hi res models than say Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Kart Double Dash had on the GameCube. But Super Smash Bros. Brawl or the Mario and Sonic games have far more better looking models than both the two Super Mario Galaxies. Super Smash Bros. Brawl looked impressive by Wii standards. Even Super Smash Bros. Melee looked impressive on the GameCube. The Xbox was just PC hardware and it used a Pentium 3 whereas the GameCube had a stronger processor and the GPU was newer than say the Xbox and PS2 combined and even including the Dreamcast. The GameCube's GPU was made from 2001 which is far newer than the PS2's which was from 1999.

Well after the Dreamcast's death in 2001. Sega made games for the GameCube. They first ported Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to the GameCube and they released Super Monkey Ball as a launch title for GameCube. Sega's titles sold much better on the GameCube than they did on the GameCube's competitors.

Bro I know Sega made a ton of games for the Gamecube. They even made F-Zero on the Gamecube.

But the Gamecube is ancient history. I'm talking about TODAY.

After Sega left the console business, they said they would be be a third party game developer. And they did that, for a little while. TODAY, they hardly make any games. They make a Sonic game every few years, and they release compilations of Genesis/MD classics. That's it. They are not a third party developer anymore; at least, they are not a very active one.

• Advanced Member

Nintendo's very own Mario Sports games were also very far creative. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour for the GameCube is by far the best golfing game ever made. Mario Golf is far better than the Tiger Woods games or Camelot's very own Hot Shot Golf games which were very rapid fire. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour shows how excellent you can make a golf game. The Mario sports games aren't as repetitive as say EA's sports games, at least they're once per system.

• Veteran Member

Nintendo's very own Mario Sports games were also very far creative. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour for the GameCube is by far the best golfing game ever made. Mario Golf is far better than the Tiger Woods games or Camelot's very own Hot Shot Golf games which were very rapid fire. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour shows how excellent you can make a golf game. The Mario sports games aren't as repetitive as say EA's sports games, at least they're once per system.

Bro you're missing an important point: the biggest appeal of sports games is to play as your favorite teams and athletes.

Mario Golf and Mario Tennis are cool and all, but people like to play as real-life athletes.

consoles. . .

bored_baby.jpg

Bro come on...

If you were handed a copy of Shenmue and started playing it I am sure you would feel differently.

• Advanced Member

Anyways, I gotta say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be one of the greatest games of all time. Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is trying to fight for first place with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 tries to make powerful usage of the Wii's hardware. The graphics look good and just on par with some PS3 games. The Wii technically is a essentially repurposed GameCube with some slightly improved graphics. People say the Wii's graphics suck but that's just some developers not taking advantage of the Wii's hardware which is slightly improved GameCube hardware. Nintendo's own games for the Wii look far better than the third party Wii games, heck even a lot of GameCube games look better than Wii games and that's Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and many other great GameCube games FTW.

Edited by pwwnd123

• Veteran Member

Every now and then, I have to replay the Mario games.  To this day I still have never beaten Super Mario 3.  How weak is that?!

I'm really bad at Mario games.

Super Mario World at least had a save feature (just go beat the first Ghost House after every level you beat!!!), but the NES games had NOTHING. No passwords, no saves. Nothing. Well actually I think Mario 3 had a save feature but it only saved world by world, not level by level, and that just doesn't cut it for me.

I'm really bad at Mario games.

Super Mario World at least had a save feature (just go beat the first Ghost House after every level you beat!!!), but the NES games had NOTHING. No passwords, no saves. Nothing. Well actually I think Mario 3 had a save feature but it only saved world by world, not level by level, and that just doesn't cut it for me.

Very true.  Alhamdulillah I have swapped my defunct cartridges for ROMS that I play on an Ouya.  The emulators have a save functionality.  That made life SO much easier! 

OK so if I were trying to get schooled in awesome games I missed for SNES and N64, what do you suggest?

• Veteran Member

Very true.  Alhamdulillah I have swapped my defunct cartridges for ROMS that I play on an Ouya.  The emulators have a save functionality.  That made life SO much easier! 

OK so if I were trying to get schooled in awesome games I missed for SNES and N64, what do you suggest?

You should ask the Nintendo bro (pwwnd123). I'm a Sega guy myself.

All I know from the SNES and N64 are the games everyone knows about (i.e. the big Nintendo franchises).

Thankfully, N64 emulation is very good. Unfortunately, the big draw of the N64 was the social aspect (with a lot of great multiplayer games), and with emulation that element is removed.

You should ask the Nintendo bro (pwwnd123). I'm a Sega guy myself.

All I know from the SNES and N64 are the games everyone knows about (i.e. the big Nintendo franchises).

Thankfully, N64 emulation is very good. Unfortunately, the big draw of the N64 was the social aspect (with a lot of great multiplayer games), and with emulation that element is removed.

I am so sorry that I got you guys mixed up.  The same question applies for Sega though- I have a ton of games I've never played or only sort of played.  WHat would you say is the must play game for anything pre DC?

I <3 teh video games :)

• Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure the New Super Mario Bros games nowadays and Super Princess Peach allows you to save at any time. If you have a DS or a 3DS you can go get it. Super Mario Sunshine and the other 3D Mario games like the two Super Mario Galaxies allow you to save at any time and the Super Mario Galaxies have an autosave feature. Both Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are easy, but Super Mario Sunshine on the other hand is considered to be one of the hardest Mario games ever made. It's much more frustrating than Super Mario Bros.2:The Lost Levels.

I also think that the Wii Remote was cutting edge in the last console generation.

Edited by pwwnd123

• Advanced Member

،السلام عليكم

I'm not really a gamer anymore, but I still watch some gaming channels. Have you guys heard of Game Theory, It's a Dog and Game, or JonTron? The latter has some swearing in his videos.

For those of you participating in the miniature console war, Game Theory recently released this:

• Veteran Member

I am so sorry that I got you guys mixed up.  The same question applies for Sega though- I have a ton of games I've never played or only sort of played.  WHat would you say is the must play game for anything pre DC?

Any Disney game for the Genesis (well, most of them). Most of them are quite well known so I won't bother mentioning them but two that are fairly obscure but good are: Pocahontas and The Great Circus Mystery. The former lacks much of a real challenge but it's still interesting and fun.

The Thunder Force games on the Genesis. Also very well known but I'm just throwing this out there in case you're young.

Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X. Cool puzzle/physics game.

Outrun on any platform.

There are a lot of obscure but good games on the Sega CD. If you search on youtube "game sack + sega cd" there will be a video that talks about many of these.

Any shooter on the Saturn. (Although most are ridiculously expensive)

Sakura Taisen (Sakura Wars) (1-2 on the Saturn, 3-4 on the Dreamcast). This series is a turn-based strategy RPG with "dating sim" elements. The latter is probably what prevented it from being released in the US and Europe, but let me clarify: it has "dating sim" elements in the sense that you interact with the in-game characters and based on your responses they will exhibit different emotions towards you. This can effect you in battle; for example, if a character fancies you, they may go out of their way to protect you. But because that type of game play (i.e. answering questions and choosing from a list of statements and the other character having an emotional response) is associated with dating simulators, that's how this game is described. If you know Japanese, play this. If not, you have to use a translation guide, which defeats the purpose because you wouldn't be making the outcome yourself. This series was crazy-popular in Japan, probably because it combined cutesy-wutesy girly stuff and alternate history mech battles. Probably the most Japanese game series ever made.

Astal for the Saturn is very unique and interesting (and visually stunning).

Every 2D fighting game for the Saturn is great.

And so on. What kind of games do you like?

Any Disney game for the Genesis (well, most of them). Most of them are quite well known so I won't bother mentioning them but two that are fairly obscure but good are: Pocahontas and The Great Circus Mystery. The former lacks much of a real challenge but it's still interesting and fun.

The Thunder Force games on the Genesis. Also very well known but I'm just throwing this out there in case you're young.

Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X. Cool puzzle/physics game.

Outrun on any platform.

There are a lot of obscure but good games on the Sega CD. If you search on youtube "game sack + sega cd" there will be a video that talks about many of these.

Any shooter on the Saturn. (Although most are ridiculously expensive)

Sakura Taisen (Sakura Wars) (1-2 on the Saturn, 3-4 on the Dreamcast). This series is a turn-based strategy RPG with "dating sim" elements. The latter is probably what prevented it from being released in the US and Europe, but let me clarify: it has "dating sim" elements in the sense that you interact with the in-game characters and based on your responses they will exhibit different emotions towards you. This can effect you in battle; for example, if a character fancies you, they may go out of their way to protect you. But because that type of game play (i.e. answering questions and choosing from a list of statements and the other character having an emotional response) is associated with dating simulators, that's how this game is described. If you know Japanese, play this. If not, you have to use a translation guide, which defeats the purpose because you wouldn't be making the outcome yourself. This series was crazy-popular in Japan, probably because it combined cutesy-wutesy girly stuff and alternate history mech battles. Probably the most Japanese game series ever made.

Astal for the Saturn is very unique and interesting (and visually stunning).

Every 2D fighting game for the Saturn is great.

And so on. What kind of games do you like?

That's awesome!  my hat is off to your expertise! 

I need to load up and get playing.  I have a stack of PS3 games, old roms, and books to get through.  I think I need to live to be about 700 inshAllah if I'm to have any hope of getting through it all. ha!

• Veteran Member

^ I am partial to Rise of Nations.

Empires: Dawn of the Modern Era was also great but I would use cheat codes to fill the screen with a bunch of expendable footsoldiers and it would slow down my computer to the point of it being unplayable. (It used full 3D graphics which was fairly new for RTS games of the time)

Codename: Panzers was visually great but it I love the amassing of resources of the older RTS games. Panzers just involved set-piece battles so something was always missing.

• Veteran Member

Baradar you are stubbornly stuck in the past. 

I love it. 

The Chinese used to have certain barometers for what constituted a civilized people. One of them was that they study the past and revere the great men of the past.

Any gamer who dismisses the past is really deluded. Just as deluded as those who use sales of a game or console as a gauge of how good it is. (Case in point: the Gamecube was arguably Nintendo's best console and it was one of their least successful, commercially.)

I really enjoy being the old man waving my cane at the young whippersnappers. It's a fun role.

But objectively speaking, we can clearly see that video game's past was better than its c.rappy present.