Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
The Green Knight

What Video Game Are You Playing These Days?

Rate this topic

Herenow, or yukapuka, do not act as a religious person, if you aren't already doing it. I can't say what's in your heart, but your posts etc. seems that you probably think that you are the best. Allah knows best.

Islam is not pray and fast the whole time, yes, games can waste your time - is it haram? No. Do you become a better muslim by NOT playing these games? No.

This is just advices from a brother.

Imam Ali a.s. says the day should be divided into three parts: worship, earning a living, and entertainment.

But our esteemed e-scholar has deemed it haraam to play Mario Kart.

Don't act like the problem here is that you got under my skin through your sheer brilliance. The problem is that you're a flipping idiot who was saying baseless nonsense. The Dreamcast was and still is, awesome. It's objective fact.

"What I will say is that this title so effortlessly eclipses all other attempts at realism in the basketball arena that even bothering to assert that anything comes close is just plain foolish." IGN review of NBA 2K

"NFL2K is the most impressive gridiron effort ever created in every sense imaginable. Period point blank. It completely thrashes the competition, and will have you laughing in disbelief that you ever managed to stomach older efforts." IGN review of NFL 2K

"Soul Calibur is mind-numbing perfection. ... Absolutely brilliant in all aspects, as far as games of this type go, Soul Calibur is the undisputed king of the hill. It is essential in any gamer's collection." Gamespot review of Soul Calibur

Go read some more Dreamcast game reviews. Educate yourself.

You probably just invested too much of your childhood into the console, which is why you get so defensive over such an insignificant comment. Surely, it is not the worst console ever but neither is it as great as you purport. The PS2 was overall better (and no, not just because it was from Sony). Not to mention, you couldn't play the greatest game ever made on it (Final Fantasy VII).

You probably just invested too much of your childhood into the console, which is why you get so defensive over such an insignificant comment. Surely, it is not the worst console ever but neither is it as great as you purport. The PS2 was overall better (and no, not just because it was from Sony). Not to mention, you couldn't play the greatest game ever made on it (Final Fantasy VII).

My attachment to the Dreamcast is driven by nostalgia, yes. But not every emotional attachment is nonsensical. It is my favorite console, yes, although I never claimed it was objectively the greatest. Calling it "terrible," however, IS objectively false. Nobody on God's green earth would agree with you on that. And if you respond to that by pointing to sales statistics, well, you're an idiot, because we all know that the marketing douches over at Sony were hyping up the PS2 as a Pentagon supercomputer when it clearly was not. The difference in performance between the two consoles was marginal at best; the whole DVD issue and reverse compatability with PS1 games also aided in the PS2's success. So it had little to do with hardware power or even with the selection of games.

If Sega had Nintendo money, they could have toughed it out, continued with the Dreamcast, the console would eventually cross the threshold of whatever built-in market they needed, and they would have stopped losing money. This is pretty much exactly what happened with the Gamecube. The reason why the Gamecube was profitable while the Dreamcast brought about the downfall of Sega, was simply a matter of Nintendo's capacity to lose money vs. Sega's lack of this capacity. Nintendo could afford to watch their Gamecube lose the sales race against Microsoft and Sony and eventually see it succeed and become profitable.

But back to the topic: If you are trying to suggest that I am a Sega fanboy, then you would be wrong. My first console was a Micro Genius, which was basically the fake NES that was sold in the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe, and China. Well, that was actually my cousin's but we were more or less raised together. The first console I had that actually belonged to me, was a PS1. So if anything, I should be a Sony fanboy. I didn't have a Genesis until very late in the Genesis' lifespan. I have never owned a Saturn. And in fact, I didn't get a Dreamcast at launch, either. I got it in 2000, when they cut it to half price and bundled it with NBA and NFL 2K. I was completely oblivious of the fanboyism of the video game community. I knew that Sega, Sony, and Nintendo were competitors but I didn't know that each of them had a legion of diehard fanboys.

Nonetheless... I am not a fanboy. Never have been. But the Dreamcast was and is objectively great. Anyone with his senses in order, is able to see this.

And what kind of nonsense is it to call YOUR favorite game the greatest ever? What if someone isn't even into RPGs? Or what if someone is a Nintendo fanboy and prefers the Zelda games? On the one hand you say such obvious untruths (such as "the Dreamcast is terrible") and on the other hand you pass your personal preferences as universal truth. And don't get me wrong, I love the PS1. I loved Crash Bandicoot. (I remember one memorable spring break where I wasted all my time playing Crash Team Racing). I loved Ape Escape. The Ridge Racer series. The Twisted Metal series. There's a trillion great games for the PS1, without a doubt. But that doesn't make the Dreamcast "terrible." And in fact, comparing the two, from the standpoint of hardware, is laughable: the Dreamcast had 10 times the processing power. The PS1 wasn't even as powerful as the Saturn. (If you want to talk about games, then that's a more nuanced discussion that involves a lot of factors and variables, but the hardware is what it is)

Edited by baradar_jackson

For Repenter: Ew, WoW is played by people living in basements man.

Try this.. The most amazing game ever made in history.. <3 Completed about 67% right now.

AC4BF_Hero.jpg

@repenter: You have chosen to use Arthas' Lich King poster which is now quite outdated and should have been forgotten. But I guess I was right and WoW ended after the Lich King.

I can understand why you won't use a "gnome deathknight for the loose" or one of them panda or pandaria whatever posters. Breaks the heart, eh?

Currently playing this one online. Anyone who has it on ps3 and want to play , add my  psn "ADMD4". I'm usually ranked, if not first, second or third out of 10-15 players in my team for most games ;)

Battlefield_2_Bad_Company_Wallpaper.jpg

Edited by Al-Najashi

Currently playing this one online. Anyone who has it on ps3 and want to play , add my  psn "ADMD4". I'm usually ranked, if not first, second or third out of 10-15 players in my team for most games ;)

Battlefield_2_Bad_Company_Wallpaper.jpg

Ohhhhhh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have BF1 bad company, BF3, and BF4 but i skipped out on BF2 bad company. :cry:  :cry: :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  

P.S my psn name is: silentcatt212

Unlocked diamond camo for sub machine guns in black ops 2 the other day

Edited by shiamehdi14

And now a very sad story.

So a long time ago i downloaded a game from the PSN store called DC Universe online (the best mmorpg i ever played) but i deleted it because in order to get further you needed to purchase expansion packs and to make room on my ps3. It took sooooooo much space. A couple games later i realised that i had made a huge mistake. I was willing to download DC Universe again and start from nothing but i had too saved data so i didnt work. I was also willing to delete BF3 data and i did. BF3 was hands down the best game i ever played but it was getteing old (I the highest ranking in that game). So i deleted BF3 because it also took so much space since i was a premium member. After that i tried to download DC universe thinking i had a ton of more space now but it still wasn't enough. So baisically i lost twice for no reason.

Ohhhhhh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have BF1 bad company, BF3, and BF4 but i skipped out on BF2 bad company. :cry:  :cry: :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  

P.S my psn name is: silentcatt212

Unlocked diamond camo for sub machine guns in black ops 2 the other day

Loooool dang, guess we can't play then :(. Funny because two weeks ago I was at best buy and was holding BF4 in my hands and was so close to purchase it until I changed my mind in the last minute, mainly because I wanted to spend most of the time instead unlocking all the assault and medic weapons in the second one first, lol oh well next time I guess

Loooool dang, guess we can't play then :(. Funny because two weeks ago I was at best buy and was holding BF4 in my hands and was so close to purchase it until I changed my mind in the last minute, mainly because I wanted to spend most of the time instead unlocking all the assault and medic weapons in the second one first, lol oh well next time I guess

Honestly that was a good choice because BF4 was not really what i was expecting it to be. Also most of the battlefield community thought that as well. In other words it was so over hyped that it is actually not good. However there are some good aspects to the game but they are too few. Idk maybe ill buy BF2 Bad Company.

Edited by shiamehdi14

Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion for the Sega Genesis

1005802_208851729276679_183679861_n-560x

You may remember that at the time, there was a ton of licensed characters who got their own video games. The market was flooded with them, and they were mostly c.rap. But Disney has a reputation of putting out only high quality stuff (except for those straight-to-VHS sequel junks they make), and this is no exception. Just like with Aladdin and Lion King, this game is top notch.

It's a side-scrolling platformer featuring Mickey Mouse. You have to save Minnie from some kind of witch.

The level design is cool, the graphics are great, the controls are easy to pick up, and the game is highly challenging. If you have a Genesis, or you dabble with emulators, I would recommend trying this out.

I've only got to the second level so I'm not sure how long it is.

Super Mario World for SNES

179234-super_mario_world_front_page.jpg

This game is infuriating. I hate it.

It's a technical masterpiece but its evil. Its the most evil game ever made.

First of all, it's huge. Secondly, there's so much cryptic BS that it's mind-boggling. You need to explore the levels for secret exits and weird peculiarities; not only to reach bonus stages but simply to complete the game! There are approximately 10 trillion levels. The latter levels are impossibly difficult. You need to play through them at least 100 times before you finish. There is a save game feature but it's not really a save game feature. It's more of a save level position feature, and not even that. If you turn off your system or run out of lives, you can load your save game but you will start with 5 lives, not the amount of lives you had when you saved. Also, it only gives you the option of saving every few levels. So if there is a super-hard level you just beat, it may not last very long.

But my main problem is not the cryptic nature of it or how long it is or how hard it is. No, it's the fact that unlike most platformers -- where memorization and experience actually help the game become easier, in this game it means NOTHING. A hard level is hard no matter how well you know of what's to come. This is like the opposite of those Disney games I mentioned in the previous post, where it presents you a reasonable challenge but gives you the benefit of learning through experience. This was also the case in the DK Country games, where the player is rewarded for his experience and not punished.

Super Mario World is the epitome of evil game design. Period. I understand it is a cultural icon. I understand we ALL played it as kids. I understand its great.

But its terrible. It's EVIL. It wants you to suffer, and it does make you suffer. I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it.

I would recommend playing it with an emulator so you can bypass the evilness of the game by cheating (with save-states). That way you can enjoy it without dealing with the inherent psychological torture of it all.

Assassins creed black flag, and skyrim

Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion for the Sega Genesis

1005802_208851729276679_183679861_n-560x

You may remember that at the time, there was a ton of licensed characters who got their own video games. The market was flooded with them, and they were mostly c.rap. But Disney has a reputation of putting out only high quality stuff (except for those straight-to-VHS sequel junks they make), and this is no exception. Just like with Aladdin and Lion King, this game is top notch.

It's a side-scrolling platformer featuring Mickey Mouse. You have to save Minnie from some kind of witch.

The level design is cool, the graphics are great, the controls are easy to pick up, and the game is highly challenging. If you have a Genesis, or you dabble with emulators, I would recommend trying this out.

I've only got to the second level so I'm not sure how long it is.

World of illusion was the best on Sega genesis

Assassins creed black flag, and skyrim

World of illusion was the best on Sega genesis

Skyrim is just one lovely game. I can't wait for the next Fallout or Skyrim game. At least, Far Cry 4 is coming in a few months.

As for Black Flag, damn, with the advent of the "next-generation" console, the requirements have just gone up too much. I used to be able to play the latest games at either high or medium settings; now, even at the lowest, games like Black Flag stutter on my computer.

How the hell do I control the damn fish? :P

And, I tried it and, man, the graphics are killing me (not in the positive way). Not to mention that it's too simple after playing something like Assassin's Creed or Fallout. By the way, if you like this, try it modern counterpart: Shark Evolution on Android.

How the hell do I control the damn fish? :P

And, I tried it and, man, the graphics are killing me (not in the positive way). Not to mention that it's too simple after playing something like Assassin's Creed or Fallout. By the way, if you like this, try it modern counterpart: Shark Evolution on Android.

First of all, the graphics are brilliant.

Secondly, go buy a Sega Genesis (you can get them for 40 dollars on ebay, including shipping) and a physical copy of the game (which go for around 5 bucks) and enjoy it how it was meant to be enjoyed.

Thirdly, what do you mean by "simple?" You mean the lack of spoonfed instructions, as games today are filled with? The whole point of the game is that it's cryptic. That's how games used to be. In Super Mario World, you didn't figure out how to get out of the Forest of Illusion by reading a text box. You had to figure it out on your own. This was before there were a million different distractions; video games WERE the distraction, they didn't have to compete with facebook and all that.

First of all, the graphics are brilliant.

Secondly, go buy a Sega Genesis (you can get them for 40 dollars on ebay, including shipping) and a physical copy of the game (which go for around 5 bucks) and enjoy it how it was meant to be enjoyed.

Thirdly, what do you mean by "simple?" You mean the lack of spoonfed instructions, as games today are filled with? The whole point of the game is that it's cryptic. That's how games used to be. In Super Mario World, you didn't figure out how to get out of the Forest of Illusion by reading a text box. You had to figure it out on your own. This was before there were a million different distractions; video games WERE the distraction, they didn't have to compete with facebook and all that.

You should play Dark Souls, then.

Skyrim is just one lovely game. I can't wait for the next Fallout or Skyrim game. At least, Far Cry 4 is coming in a few months.

As for Black Flag, damn, with the advent of the "next-generation" console, the requirements have just gone up too much. I used to be able to play the latest games at either high or medium settings; now, even at the lowest, games like Black Flag stutter on my computer.

skyrim is nice, black flag has some nice graphics and is fun also. i got it on xbox 360

skyrim is nice, black flag has some nice graphics and is fun also. i got it on xbox 360

A pity I don't have an Xbox - I used to but had the infamous red ring of death. In the near future, you will also lament the arrivals of these next-gen consoles as titles will soon start to be exclusives and not cross-generation.

A pity I don't have an Xbox - I used to but had the infamous red ring of death. In the near future, you will also lament the arrivals of these next-gen consoles as titles will soon start to be exclusives and not cross-generation.

Yeah, I'm really just waiting on Halo 5, Gears of War 4 to come out. Or Socom H Hour on the PS4, to see which one I get. I play gears of a at 3, and halo 4 a lot too. Right now XB1, ps4 don't have interesting games for me

There won't be another generation of video game consoles. Sony and Microsoft have left the industry in ashes.

Supposedly, they are making a common language which will HOPEFULLY arrive in the shape of Direct X 12 (which is supposed to be the common cross-platform language for video game developers) as well as programmable hardware like GPUs and CPUs or even APUs by AMD. After that it won't matter at all anymore.

That said, I find it hard to believe. Most probably all platforms will get further ionized so you have to buy the other, other and the other consoles too in order to play their games. Makes more sense, knowing the damned capitalists.