Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sukaina_08

Q About Hijab And Haircare

Rate this topic

Salam ladies,

I'm new to Islam and plan to start wearing hijab soon. I've been thinking lately about what to do about getting my hair trimmed and hi-lighted though... Do you still go to hair salons - and if so, how do you keep it halal? If not, how do you take care of your hair?

A few months ago, I went to get my hair hi-lighted for the first time, and they bleached it instead (much to my horror), so now I have to go (somewhere else of course) get it hi-lighted every month or so to cover it up. I would never trust myself to do it, and as I have long hair at this point I definitely don't want to mess it up!! I just moved to a new area for my internship, so I don't have any friends - nor do I know anyone who would be able to help me with my hair... I don't know any muslimahs here either...

Looking forward to your responses!

you can still go to hair salons but just ask the people if they have a room at the back or a way to cover the windows or something...they are usually very understanding even after you explain why you need to be somewhere private

salaam alaikum

You can look for a all woman's salon. I found one here run by a muslim sister.Also some salons are willing to let stylist come in before they open for clients. And now that I'm on the subject I asked her for some tips for people who wear hijab and heres what she told me.

1) Don't pull your hair back in ponytail or bun etc when it's wet, this stretches and break and can cause hair loss.

2) Make sure you wash your hair with cool to warm water, not hot water. Again it can cause hair loss .

3)When you go to put your hijab on, alternate your part in your hair every so often, use a barret or clip to keep in place so that your hijab isn't rubbing back and forth on the same spot all the time.Again it can cause hair loss.

wa salaam

salaam alaikum

You can look for a all woman's salon. I found one here run by a muslim sister.Also some salons are willing to let stylist come in before they open for clients. And now that I'm on the subject I asked her for some tips for people who wear hijab and heres what she told me.

1) Don't pull your hair back in ponytail or bun etc when it's wet, this stretches and break and can cause hair loss.

2) Make sure you wash your hair with cool to warm water, not hot water. Again it can cause hair loss .

3)When you go to put your hijab on, alternate your part in your hair every so often, use a barret or clip to keep in place so that your hijab isn't rubbing back and forth on the same spot all the time.Again it can cause hair loss.

4) If you can help it don't put hijab on when your hair is wet, it doesn't let your scalp breathe when you do this. So dry as much as possible before hand.

wa salaam

salaam alaikum

wa salaam

Thanks a lot for sharing since, it's really helpful! :)

I used to do my own hair and/or have unskilled people help me (i.e., my mom). But then I finally got the courage to go to a hair salon... and ask them if either: 1) they could see me before or after hours; or 2) take me to a private area. They didn't have a private area, but they agreed to the first option. They were very accommodating, and I am SO happy that I went. My hair is much better now... it has literally made SO much of a difference. So just go and ask and insha'Allah they will accommodate you :)

A friend of mine is a hairdresser who works from home, she has a room decorated as salon. So I go to her for my hair and brows. I pay her the normal price for her work, but my visit often turns out to last several hours and include a meal and tea and a lot of chatting :) My husband colors my hair though.

Assalamu alaykum.

First I used to have a problem to take care of my hair after I reverted to Islam. In the beginning I went to some normal small hair salon where they could take only one customer at the time. I kind of tried my luck and was in a hope that no man would come there in same time. Sometimes I asked the hair dresser to book me a time when there wouldn't be risk to get male customers in... However, I found it very stressing to do so especially because non-Muslims don't necessarily understand all this...

So, after a couple of times I stopped going to the normal hair dresser and I cut the ends of the hair at home. That continued for few years actually...

Alhamdulillah, later I managed to find couple of Muslim sisters (Sunnis) who are professional hair dressers and they work at their own home. So, at this moment that's my solution. I think you should ask from other Muslim sisters if they know some hair dresser sisters.

Salaam,

What benefit we have here is we can call the lady at house from the nearby salon n pay her travelling expenses.

Otherwise, many times i go to all woman salon n mostly get it done by a muslim. If a muslim is not available then i need to wash my hair.