Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Khan

Cheating

Rate this topic

A Shia business man employs another Shia man considering his social responsibilities (as he could employ a man of a different faith) trained him to improve his skills, paid well and took a good care of him. After few years the employee quits the job and started his own firm and started tapping same customers of his ex boss.

Is it not a cheating, does it not similar to Bagh e Fadak case? What Islam says on such type of people?

Edited by Dr. Khan

(salam)

Very interesting question...

Here is my personal opinion which does NOT, in any way or form, reflect the opinion of any scholar or fatwa:

From a jurisprudential it wouldn't be considered cheating because when the employee approaches his ex-boss's clients, they still have the free-will of choosing to go with him or stick with his ex-boss. It's not like he's forcing them to join him, of course unless he is giving a bad name to his ex-boss in order to take his clients...

From a moral point of view, it's not good but then again business is business... If his ex-boss's clients decide to use his firm instead, then that's totally up to them...

Technically, this employee might have more knowledge or better service than his ex-boss.. Many are the students who excel greater than their teachers..

Anyhow, that's my opinion, and Allah knows best.

Regards,

Kumail

(salam)

Very interesting question...

Here is my personal opinion which does NOT, in any way or form, reflect the opinion of any scholar or fatwa:

From a jurisprudential it wouldn't be considered cheating because when the employee approaches his ex-boss's clients, they still have the free-will of choosing to go with him or stick with his ex-boss. It's not like he's forcing them to join him, of course unless he is giving a bad name to his ex-boss in order to take his clients...

From a moral point of view, it's not good but then again business is business... If his ex-boss's clients decide to use his firm instead, then that's totally up to them...

Technically, this employee might have more knowledge or better service than his ex-boss.. Many are the students who excel greater than their teachers..

Anyhow, that's my opinion, and Allah knows best.

Regards,

Kumail

The Formula of business is business applies in west only where they have different practices like borrowing money from money lenders on interest, where wine is a common thing in business meetings, giving no respect to seniors and giving bad names to their competitors and many more.

A cheater will remain a cheater, today he cheated his boss tomorrow he will cheat his customers and person with such attitude cannot provide better services.

I somehow don't consider it cheating. Okay the boss did give him a break which worked in his potential growth but then the man is using his expertise to earn on his own. It's all in the game. And definitely got to do with the clients. If the ex-boss is good enough the clients will stick to him if the new chap is better they'd go there.

If I've learnt a few writing tips from an established author and publish a book of my own, I'm not cheating him. If my book is better it will be off the shelf before the big author. The readers decide who they will read. You can't blame me for being a good writer can you?

Competition is an element of commercial business. I am not aware of any Islamic injunction that prohibits the principle of competition in trade, although I might be wrong.

Typically, in lawyers' employment contracts, as well as in those of employees of many other types of businesses, there is a clause preventing the employee after leaving his employment from setting up in business either using the contacts he obtained through his employment or else within a certain radius or certain town(s) of the employer's business. This is normal and lawful (enforceable through the courts) and very commonplace.

With that in mind, it would seem to be the employer's fault in this case, for not having stipulated in the employee's contract that after leaving his employment he should not set up a similar business on the same block as his old employer. So, the guy's free to do business wherever he wants, and isn't breaking any laws.

The only slight proviso here is that sometimes the names and contact info of customers of a business may comprise a part of the business's assets, so an outgoing employee who uses the business's assets to make money on his own account might be liable to repay it to the business on the basis that he would not have been able to accrue to himself any commercial advantage but for the property he appropriated from the business (which is a legal person) without license. This would be a matter of evidence, so it depends on the facts of the case, the terms of his contract of employment and representations made by competent company officers.

People live in Karachi must observe this reality that

Sometimes you look stupid if you donot cheat

The students cheat in exams (which was supported by their Government)

See how they are helping us Lol

^ reminds me of Lebanon year 10 certificate lol

The exam supervisors were coming around asking us if we needed any help and sometimes exchanging papers between students lol

I think they were making sure that if you help someone, they help you back in return, just in order to maintain justice amongst students lol

Salam,

it is Business Competitions ,however Culturaly people should know the right from wrong and the 'Original' is always better than 'Imitation',it is more likely to be a "social issue" than it is "cheating"..so if you could see what I' trying to explain to you as where the problem exist most ..you will understand clearly where the solution is..

Cheating in any form is not allowed.

I cheated the sunnis in my area by saying I am a sunni and I cheated my boss saying I go to a night club to avoid late night work and that he should not be suspicious because I am the only Muslim working there, whereas I am a Shia and I don't go to night clubs and not in to stuff either.

That was a great fatwa indeed.

Ya Ali Madad

I cheated the sunnis in my area by saying I am a sunni and I cheated my boss saying I go to a night club to avoid late night work and that he should not be suspicious because I am the only Muslim working there, whereas I am a Shia and I don't go to night clubs and not in to stuff either.

That was a great fatwa indeed.

Ya Ali Madad

:D Liar

Salam,

it is Business Competitions ,however Culturaly people should know the right from wrong and the 'Original' is always better than 'Imitation',it is more likely to be a "social issue" than it is "cheating"..so if you could see what I' trying to explain to you as where the problem exist most ..you will understand clearly where the solution is..

Nice answer. Thank you!