Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Any Akbaris Here?

Rate this topic

I don't consider myself an Akhbari (or Usooli for that matter), however one of the most famous side by side comparisons of Akhbari/Usooli views is found in 'Abdallāh al-Samāhijī's (an Akhbari scholar, d. 1135/1723) Munyat al-Mumārisīn, which has been translated into English by Andrew Newman. If you have access to JSTOR, there's a two part paper by Newman which has it called "The Nature of the Akhbārī/Uṣūlī Dispute in Late Ṣafawid Iran." In terms of books, the work of Robert Gleave is about the most thorough in this regard (in terms of English material), particularly his books "Inevitable Doubt: Two Theories of Shii Jurisprudence" and his more recent "Scripturalist Islam: The History and Doctrines of the Akhbari Shi'i School."

• Advanced Member
Salaamunulaykum wr wb.

I consider myself a shia of masoom, meaning since Imam is in occultation I take a middle course between usooli and akbari.

assalamu alaikum

Describe what a middle course between them would be.

I don't consider myself an Akhbari (or Usooli for that matter), however one of the most famous side by side comparisons of Akhbari/Usooli views is found in 'Abdallāh al-Samāhijī's (an Akhbari scholar, d. 1135/1723) Munyat al-Mumārisīn, which has been translated into English by Andrew Newman. If you have access to JSTOR, there's a two part paper by Newman which has it called "The Nature of the Akhbārī/Uṣūlī Dispute in Late Ṣafawid Iran." In terms of books, the work of Robert Gleave is about the most thorough in this regard (in terms of English material), particularly his books "Inevitable Doubt: Two Theories of Shii Jurisprudence" and his more recent "Scripturalist Islam: The History and Doctrines of the Akhbari Shi'i School."

assalamu alaikum

Ok thank you. I don't know what JSTOR is, but I will try to look on Amazon for those titles, UNLESS they are from somewhere else? If they are from an Islamic publishing house could you please post and say which one?

Do you know of a website of Akbari's that is a real one they set up as oppossed to a fake one?

assalamu alaikum

Ok thank you. I don't know what JSTOR is, but I will try to look on Amazon for those titles, UNLESS they are from somewhere else? If they are from an Islamic publishing house could you please post and say which one?

Do you know of a website of Akbari's that is a real one they set up as oppossed to a fake one?

wa `alaykum as-salam

JSTOR is an online archive of journal articles. By yourself, you almost certainly don't have access, but go to a university computer and they might have access on their network.

http://www.jstor.org

If you don't have such access, send me a PM and I can forward you the article, in sha Allah.

As to the two books by Gleave, I think they are available on Amazon, but they are very expensive (academic publications). Better to try to get them via inter-library loan instead, unless you've got the cash to spare.

As to websites that represent or at least have substantial works containing the Akhbari perspectives, in English, I don't know of any. You'd need to go to Arabic sites for something like that. Nowadays, when a layman says Akhbari, they often mean the group over in India that have that website up, but I don't consider their views to necessarily represent actual, classical Akhbarism (more a concern with promoting zanjir, the third shahada, and so on) or they might mean Akhbaris along the lines of Shaykh Yusuf al-Bahrani that are still in Bahrain in particular, but the ones I've been to are in Arabic.

Edited by macisaac
  • Banned

im a middle course too, neither akhbari nor usooli.

btw hazrat imam khamenei wilayat e faqih? :unsure: i think the questioner forgot to say "ameer ul momineen" as well.

• Advanced Member
wa `alaykum as-salam

JSTOR is an online archive of journal articles. By yourself, you almost certainly don't have access, but go to a university computer and they might have access on their network.

http://www.jstor.org

If you don't have such access, send me a PM and I can forward you the article, in sha Allah.

As to the two books by Gleave, I think they are available on Amazon, but they are very expensive (academic publications). Better to try to get them via inter-library loan instead, unless you've got the cash to spare.

As to websites that represent or at least have substantial works containing the Akhbari perspectives, in English, I don't know of any. You'd need to go to Arabic sites for something like that. Nowadays, when a layman says Akhbari, they often mean the group over in India that have that website up, but I don't consider their views to necessarily represent actual, classical Akhbarism (more a concern with promoting zanjir, the third shahada, and so on) or they might mean Akhbaris along the lines of Shaykh Yusuf al-Bahrani that are still in Bahrain in particular, but the ones I've been to are in Arabic.

Assalamu alaikum

I don't know how to do PM's but I would appreciate it if you could send it to my email address

Edited by macisaac