Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can Someone Answer My Question Please?

Rate this topic

DoubleA

• Advanced Member

Salam brothers and sisters.

I know it's haram for men to use golden jewelry. But is wearing a pendant with "Allah" written on it haram? But the pendant is not made from gold. I would look forward to your answers. And I would be thankful to those who give me answers.

If the pendant is made of gold, then its haraam for men. However, if its not, then yes you can wear it, but to touch the pendant without wudhu is haraam. However, if the contact between the name Allah is with your you chest and not with hands, then wudhu is not required, and thus permissble (im not sure about this part). However, it is better to email your maraja...Salaam

• Advanced Member

and by the way guys i am not trying to show off or anything. if i wanna show off then there are plenty of other things for that. but there is a superstition that if you have something like a pendant with "Allah" written on it, then you are protected from evil or satan.

• Advanced Member
Salam brothers and sisters.

I know it's haram for men to use golden jewelry. But is wearing a pendant with "Allah" written on it haram? But the pendant is not made from gold. I would look forward to your answers. And I would be thankful to those who give me answers.

(salam)

It's best to consult your marja` in this regard...

I have heard an opinion from some scholars, to avoid such pendants due to the fact that it can't come intact with any Najasah and the one wearing it must be on Wudhoo.. So if those two conditions are met, it would be fine, otherwise must be avoided.

This is not a definite answer, this is an opinion i've received.

Please consult your marja` and post the reply you get for the benefit of everyone :)

Regards,

Kumail

• Advanced Member
and by the way guys i am not trying to show off or anything. if i wanna show off then there are plenty of other things for that. but there is a superstition that if you have something like a pendant with "Allah" written on it, then you are protected from evil or satan.

assalamu alaikum

Superstitions are haram because they are a form of shirk. They see the power is emanating from the object itself. Wearing the name of God to protect one from evil or statan, when understood this comes from God is not superstition. Generally though, someone shouldn't involve themselves in actions if they feel it is superstition. If you feel that by wearing such a pendant you think the power and protection comes from the pendant itself instead of the baraka of wearing such a pendant, they don't wear it. But please do not generalize this to all people who wear Allah pendants and call it a superstition. It isn't a superstition in all cases. Actually most times it it not superstition.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
assalamu alaikum

Superstitions are haram because they are a form of shirk. They see the power is emanating from the object itself. Wearing the name of God to protect one from evil or statan, when understood this comes from God is not superstition. Generally though, someone shouldn't involve themselves in actions if they feel it is superstition. If you feel that by wearing such a pendant you think the power and protection comes from the pendant itself instead of the baraka of wearing such a pendant, they don't wear it. But please do not generalize this to all people who wear Allah pendants and call it a superstition. It isn't a superstition in all cases. Actually most times it it not superstition.

thanks for replying brother. and yea that's what i meant what you just said, but i was just pointin out the fact about superstition and thanks for letting me know that superstitions are haram. of course i believe in Allah's power rather than in the pendant itself. i think it's just that i couldn't make myself clearer. i hope Allah forgives me.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

If you follow Ayatullah Sistani:

Yellow Gold - Haram.

White Gold - Halal.

Whoever gave you the above answer ask them if a blind man wearing gold is halaal? Why would white gold be ok? Especially if the blind man and the one wearing white gold knew in fact that it was indeed gold.

Edited by gogiison2

• Advanced Member
Whoever gave you the above answer ask them if a blind man wearing gold is halaal? Why would white gold be ok? Especially if the blind man and the one wearing white gold knew in fact that it was indeed gold.

Just as soon as you show my your ijaza. Do not forget that we are in the Jurisprudence forum, not the layperson's opinion forum.

Just as soon as you show my your ijaza. Do not forget that we are in the Jurisprudence forum, not the layperson's opinion forum.

What is "my your ijaza?" I'm just giving an alternative way of thinking you don't have to follow my advice if you don't want, but if Allah asks you.......you did see this information before. I will give my opinion if I think I may be right, and if you are more right then by all means speak up. I am here to learn without biased agenda nor playing favorites. I would recommend it that way for all.

Edited by gogiison2

• Advanced Member

Wannabe Akhbari Alert. :rolleyes:

What is forbidden is not "gold" as defined using modern chemistry. What is forbidden for men to wear is ÇáÐåÈ, which refers to pure gold, and alloys of gold which contain a significant percentage of pure gold but also resemble pure gold in appearance. White gold does not resemble pure gold in appearance, hence it is permissible.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234932709

• Advanced Member

:huh:

It is permissible for men to wear what is known as white gold.

http://www.najaf.org/english/book/5/inside/30.htm

Also,

Q.13 Can men wear white Gold?

A. If white gold is a metal it self than it is permissible. But if White Gold is mixed with yellow gold and other metal like nickel etc., or if the color of yellow gold has been changed to white through chemical process, than it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to wear

http://gohaj.com/haj/faq.html

Someone call up Ayatullah Sistani ASAP :P

• Advanced Member

White gold is permissible. Check this out.

ÍÑãÉ áÈÓ ÇáÐåÈ ááÑÌÇá Ýí ÇáÕáÇÉ æÛíÑ ÇáÕáÇÉ¡ æÍáíÊå ááäÓÇÁ

áÇ íÌæÒ ááÑÌÇá áÈÓ ÇáÐåÈ ¡ ÓæÇÁ ÃßÇä ÎÇÊãÇð ¡ Ãã ÍáÞÉ ÒæÇÌ ¡ Ãã ÓÇÚÉ íÏæíÉ ¡ Ãã ÛíÑ Ðáß Ýí ÇáÕáÇÉ æÛíÑ ÇáÕáÇÉ ¡ æíÌæÒ áåã áÈÓ ÇáãØáí ãäåÇ ÈãÇÁ ÇáÐåÈ ¡ ÅÐÇ ÚõÏø Ðáß ÇáØáÇÁ áæäÇð áÇ ÃßËÑ. íÌæÒááÑÌÇá áÈÓ ãÇ íÓãì ÈÇáÐåÈ ÇáÃÈíÖ. íÌæÒ ááäÓÇÁ áÈÓ ÇáÐåÈ ÏÇÆãÇ ÍÊì Ýí ÇáÕáÇÉ.

http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=n...d=2&pid=211

Edited by Whizbee

Is the definition of haraam gold given to us by masooms, or by fallibles? It would be more accurate in my opinion not to say wanabe akhbari alert but rather alert of the one who isn't naive. Also, please if you would keep the useless criticism to yourself. Seemingly the likes of you will say albino pigs are halaal, or am I really lost and they are already halaal?

Edited by gogiison2

:huh:

It is permissible for men to wear what is known as white gold.

http://www.najaf.org/english/book/5/inside/30.htm

Also,

Q.13 Can men wear white Gold?

A. If white gold is a metal it self than it is permissible. But if White Gold is mixed with yellow gold and other metal like nickel etc., or if the color of yellow gold has been changed to white through chemical process, than it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to wear

http://gohaj.com/haj/faq.html

Someone call up Ayatullah Sistani ASAP :P

We cannot learn everything we know from internet Q&A's. As we seen from brother Akhbar007's posts, it seems white gold isn't permissible by Sistani and from your posts you say Sistani says white gold is permissible IF white gold is a metal itself. Now what is the composition of white gold. I see the word "IF" in the answer given by the representative of Sistani or whoever answered the query. From what I understand you cannot change the color of the yellow gold into white according to the answers given from his websites. So, from this I understand color isn't the big deal. Also, if it doesn't have any gold in white gold, then in turn white gold isn't even a gold to begin with which should clear your confusions. P.S those who criticize are usually the ones without answers. So, please beware of what you learn from others and don't spread the "cancer."

Edited by gogiison2

• Advanced Member
QUOTE (pink @ Oct 11 2008, 02:40 PM) Just as soon as you show my your ijaza.
What is "my your ijaza?"

assalamu `alaykum

A typographical error. "my your ijaza" -> "me your ijaza" My bad.

I'm just giving an alternative way of thinking you don't have to follow my advice if you don't want...

The thing is that this is a jurisprudence forum. It is intended for the discussion and Q&A of the rulings of our maraja`. My opinion is that people who want to derive their own rulings by looking at the ahadith themselves would be better off using the Qur'an/Hadith forum (but far be it from me to stop the flow of chat - it is only my opinion).

but if Allah asks you, you did see this information before.

The responsibility falls upon the mujtahid who issued the ruling that the muqallid followed.

Edited by pink

What is "my your ijaza?"

assalamu `alaykum

A typographical error. "my your ijaza" -> "me your ijaza" My bad.

The thing is that this is a jurisprudence forum. It is intended for the discussion and Q&A of the rulings of our maraja`. My opinion is that people who want to derive their own rulings by looking at the ahadith themselves would be better off using the Qur'an/Hadith forum (but far be it from me to stop the flow of chat - it is only my opinion).

The responsibility falls upon the mujtahid who issued the ruling that the muqallid followed.

WA wr wb..

If I have certificates of caliphate, what would it mean to you? Would you then trust me? I am here to help non followers of masooms determine what is most right. InshaAllah the right message will always be easily available. If anyone has a problem with the way I think, they shall speak if more truthful, or else accept what I say.

EDIT: What do you mean by "The responsibility falls upon the mujtahid who issued the ruling that the muqallid followed"

Edited by gogiison2

• Advanced Member
I am here to help non followers of masooms determine what is most right.

assalamu `alaykum

But this is the Jurisprudence forum.

EDIT: What do you mean by "The responsibility falls upon the mujtahid who issued the ruling that the muqallid followed"

If it turnes out that white gold was actually haram, then the responsibility will fall on the marj`a who issued the ruling of halal, not on the muqallid who acted on the ruling of the marj`a.

assalamu `alaykum

But this is the Jurisprudence forum.

If it turnes out that white gold was actually haram, then the responsibility will fall on the marj`a who issued the ruling of halal, not on the muqallid who acted on the ruling of the marj`a.

Sister, I am aware that this is a jurisprudence forum, but I don't see where it says I cannot comment on a ruling. As for the second part of your reply I think you need to read my topic on taqlid. Please check it out.

• Advanced Member
Sister, I am aware that this is a jurisprudence forum, but I don't see where it says I cannot comment on a ruling. As for the second part of your reply I think you need to read my topic on taqlid. Please check it out.

assalamu `alaykum,

I do not see anything to that effect, either. What I do know is that there are some people on this forum who think that all that we need in order to know the ruling on a topic is to look up ahadith related to that topic and then make the ruling for ourselves based on what we read of those ahadith. The admins have said regarding this, "This is for all those who take it upon themselves to issue out jurisprudential decrees without knowledge : You are accountable for everything you say..." This came from one of the pinned threads on the Jurisprudence forum. Other pinned threads include The Importance Of Ijtihad And Taqlid and Why Taqleed?.

Basically, this forum presupposes the ijtihad of living mujtahid `ulama, or maraja`, to whom we make taqlid in matters of fiqh. It is probably better for those who disagree with taqlid to do as you did - establish a thread dedicated to the discussion and debate of the topic - rather than try to form one's own interpretation of the sources of Islamic legislation and post those opinions to questions posed in this forum. We even have a thread in this very forum dedicated to the discussion of ahadith related to various rulings. I personally feel that the challenging of the rulings of our maraja` by those who prefer to interpret the ahadith on their own only muddies the water for those who are seeking information on Islamic jurisprudence. That is only my opinion, though. This is Shia Chat, with the emphasis on "chat;" and it is not my place to say what should be the policy here, especially if it results in less chat.

I see your thread on taqlid. I personally believe in the validity and obligation of taqlid. I have done my own research and my own thinking on the issue; and no amount of argumentation will convince me otherwise. Thank you, anyway.

Edited by pink

• Advanced Member
We cannot learn everything we know from internet Q&A's. As we seen from brother Akhbar007's posts, it seems white gold isn't permissible by Sistani and from your posts you say Sistani says white gold is permissible IF white gold is a metal itself. Now what is the composition of white gold. I see the word "IF" in the answer given by the representative of Sistani or whoever answered the query.

What Akbar007 posted was a wrong translation from the English section of sistani.org and I have posted the original arabic from the same website so there is no contradiction. Agha Sistani allows white gold.

From what I understand you cannot change the color of the yellow gold into white according to the answers given from his websites. So, from this I understand color isn't the big deal. Also, if it doesn't have any gold in white gold, then in turn white gold isn't even a gold to begin with which should clear your confusions. P.S those who criticize are usually the ones without answers. So, please beware of what you learn from others and don't spread the "cancer."

fyst has already answered all your question in the link that I posted but it seems to me that you are arguing just for the heck of it. Carry on.

• Advanced Member
What Akbar007 posted was a wrong translation from the English section of sistani.org and I have posted the original arabic from the same website so there is no contradiction. Agha Sistani allows white gold.

Actually, I got it from the "WRONG" link YOU posted which is as under :

Also, its WRONG to say all WHITE gold is permitted because If White Gold is mixed with yellow gold and other metal like nickel etc., or if the color of yellow gold has been changed to white through chemical process, than it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to wear

• Advanced Member
Actually, I got it from the "WRONG" link YOU posted which is as under :

Why do you always having to start making personal attacks?

I was NOT blaming you. Obviously it's not your fault if the sistani.org's office guys mistranslated a fatwa. The brother mentioned that you posted a fatwa which contradicts mine so that's the only reason I took your name.

Also, its WRONG to say all WHITE gold is permitted because If White Gold is mixed with yellow gold and other metal like nickel etc., or if the color of yellow gold has been changed to white through chemical process, than it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to wear

I know. When did I object to that? Or say otherwise?

• Advanced Member
Why do you always having to start making personal attacks?

I was NOT blaming you. Obviously it's not your fault if the sistani.org's office guys mistranslated a fatwa. The brother mentioned that you posted a fatwa which contradicts mine so that's the only reason I took your name.

Pls accept my humble apologies.

I know. When did I object to that? Or say otherwise?

I did not say you objected to it (or said otherwise). I said its wrong to say that all white gold is permissible as there are different perceptions as to what constitutes white gold.

assalamu `alaykum,

I do not see anything to that effect, either. What I do know is that there are some people on this forum who think that all that we need in order to know the ruling on a topic is to look up ahadith related to that topic and then make the ruling for ourselves based on what we read of those ahadith. The admins have said regarding this, "This is for all those who take it upon themselves to issue out jurisprudential decrees without knowledge : You are accountable for everything you say..." This came from one of the pinned threads on the Jurisprudence forum. Other pinned threads include The Importance Of Ijtihad And Taqlid and Why Taqleed?.

Basically, this forum presupposes the ijtihad of living mujtahid `ulama, or maraja`, to whom we make taqlid in matters of fiqh. It is probably better for those who disagree with taqlid to do as you did - establish a thread dedicated to the discussion and debate of the topic - rather than try to form one's own interpretation of the sources of Islamic legislation and post those opinions to questions posed in this forum. We even have a thread in this very forum dedicated to the discussion of ahadith related to various rulings. I personally feel that the challenging of the rulings of our maraja` by those who prefer to interpret the ahadith on their own only muddies the water for those who are seeking information on Islamic jurisprudence. That is only my opinion, though. This is Shia Chat, with the emphasis on "chat;" and it is not my place to say what should be the policy here, especially if it results in less chat.

I see your thread on taqlid. I personally believe in the validity and obligation of taqlid. I have done my own research and my own thinking on the issue; and no amount of argumentation will convince me otherwise. Thank you, anyway.

WA wr wb

Sorry, but I disagree and InshaAllah I will always ask questions when fallibles give their interpretations so that the non muslims and shia alike will not be confused. I appreciate your input and may Allah reward those who put in the efforts.