Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Blood In Eggs

Rate this topic

So, the marja' I follow (Ayatullah Seestani) says that it is haram to eat eggs that have blood in them (I think b/c it is najis). I have read the same thing from Sayed Khamenei. This lady who teaches fiqh (from the perspective of Sayed Khamenei) told me once that "a little blood is ok and if it is so little that if you stir the egg that it disappears then you can eat it". I believe they also say that if the blood is in the yolk, you can eat the white, or vice versa because they are separate.

Anyway, I'm looking for clarification... how much blood in the egg is too much? Like if there is a drop of blood in the egg, can we eat it? (Preferably take it out and eat it) Or do we have to discard the entire egg?

• Advanced Member

(salam) Sis;

This is the ruling according to AyatAllah Sistani [HA]:

Question: If blood is seen in the yolk or the white part of the egg, does it make the egg impure and haram for us? Is there a solution for it?

Answer: The clot of blood inside the egg is pure, but it is haram [for consumption]. Therefore, the egg can be eaten by removing the blood from it, provided it not very minute and been absorbed in it. [in the latter case, is not removable, then the egg becomes haram.]

• Advanced Member

i had this the other day found blood in an egg i was about to cook... strange!!

Personally though even it was ok to eat the egg after you have found blood -- i wouldnt want to because it think its quite disgusting and would make me feel sick eating that egg?!!

I think its haram for a very good reason!!

Edited by Sayeda_110

Like this:

BantamEgg.JPEG

(salam) Sis;

This is the ruling according to AyatAllah Sistani [HA]:

Question: If blood is seen in the yolk or the white part of the egg, does it make the egg impure and haram for us? Is there a solution for it?

Answer: The clot of blood inside the egg is pure, but it is haram [for consumption]. Therefore, the egg can be eaten by removing the blood from it, provided it not very minute and been absorbed in it. [in the latter case, is not removable, then the egg becomes haram.]

Thanks, glad to know that!

I think it is gross but also I don't like wasting eggs.

• Veteran Member

salaam, another thing you may not be aware of and may further confuse the issue is this. In western countries the yolk of the egg is yellower then in the east. the reason is that when the egg is first laid it is soft at this point a dyes is injected to yellow the yolk. this dye sometimes doesnt disperse and may appear a dark orange colour

I wonder how often the blood thing occurs; I haven't seen any and didn't even think it could possibly be present, so now I stare at the eggs for 5 minutes before I cook them.

It's pretty obvious. I usually buy organic/free range eggs in hopes that the chickens are better treated, and they are more likely to have blood in them.

• Advanced Member
salaam, another thing you may not be aware of and may further confuse the issue is this. In western countries the yolk of the egg is yellower then in the east. the reason is that when the egg is first laid it is soft at this point a dyes is injected to yellow the yolk. this dye sometimes doesnt disperse and may appear a dark orange colour

I don't think that's true. It is true, however, that different breeds of chickens lay eggs with different yolk hues, and what the chicken is fed can affect yolk coloration. I've heard that Rhode Island Reds lay brown shelled eggs with bright orange yolks.

• Advanced Member
that's the price ya'll have to pay for picking on dead chicks/fetus :no:

They are not fetuses.. lol

Most commercially produced chicken eggs intended for human consumption are unfertilized, since the laying hens are kept without roosters. Fertile eggs can be purchased and eaten as well, with little nutritional difference. Fertile eggs will not contain a developed embryo, as refrigeration prohibits cellular growth for an extended amount of time.

although there is this filipino delicacy called balut which is actually a nearly developed egg that is boiled and eaten :sick:

balut.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut

Why do they boil baby chicks :(, it's animal cruelty....

I bet it's haram in Islam......... or is it?

• Basic Members

^ It is haram in Islam.

Balut has been the "shocking" topic of some television shows because of its taboo nature in some Western cultures. In two episodes of Survivor: Palau and two episodes of Survivor: China, separate challenges featured attempts to eat this Asian delicacy. Similarly, Fear Factor frequently uses balut as a means of disgusting contestants. Recently, contestants of The Amazing Race Asia 2 had to eat 8 baluts as a team before receiving their next clue. The Travel Channel show Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern also featured Balut, where the host pronounced 18-day-old balut one of the strangest foods he'd ever eaten in his life, but far better tasting than he had expected. The members of the rock band Switchfoot ate balut on stage at their concert in the Philippines. Episode 28 of the Switchfoot Podcast shows video footage of this occurrence.

Thats so sick :squeez:

• Advanced Member
They are not fetuses.. lol

although there is this filipino delicacy called balut which is actually a nearly developed egg that is boiled and eaten :sick:

balut.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut

Why do they boil baby chicks :(, it's animal cruelty....

I bet it's haram in Islam......... or is it?

Eurghh that is Sikkkkkkk... nearly made me puke!! :squeez: :wacko:

• Veteran Member

this is the fatwa from ayatullah seestani's risalah:

99. As a recommended precaution, one should refrain from eating an egg which has even the smallest amount of blood in it. However, if the blood is in the yolk (yellow potion) the albumen (white portion) will be Pak, as long as the skin over the yolk is not torn.

• 9 years later...