Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sukaina_08

What Are Your Views On Going To A Sunni Mosque?

Rate this topic

Salamalaykum brothers and sisters,

I'm not sure if this topic belongs in here, but I'm a new revert, so that fits at least. I'm curious what people's views are on going to a Sunni mosque. There's no Shia mosque where I live, but there is a Sunni mosque. I'm wondering if I go there, people will ridicule me for doing things differently - and I wouldn't even know what's different since I converted directly to Shia Islam and have been taught only the Shia way to pray. I've never even been a mosque either, so I would have no idea what to expect. I've been advised NOT to go to the Sunni mosque by other Shias, but they're from Saudi Arabia and have endured a lot of persecution from Sunnis already and don't want to have much to do with them. Plus I think there are a lot of Wahabis that attend that mosque, so that may be part of the reasoning. Anyway, I also don't want to be misled (or ridiculed), but yet I would be interested in learning more in detail about their beliefs and the reasoning behind them.

So - thoughts, anyone?

I'm not sure if this topic belongs in here, but I'm a new revert, so that fits at least. I'm curious what people's views are on going to a Sunni mosque. There's no Shia mosque where I live, but there is a Sunni mosque. I'm wondering if I go there, people will ridicule me for doing things differently - and I wouldn't even know what's different since I converted directly to Shia Islam and have been taught only the Shia way to pray. I've never even been a mosque either, so I would have no idea what to expect. I've been advised NOT to go to the Sunni mosque by other Shias, but they're from Saudi Arabia and have endured a lot of persecution from Sunnis already and don't want to have much to do with them. Plus I think there are a lot of Wahabis that attend that mosque, so that may be part of the reasoning. Anyway, I also don't want to be misled (or ridiculed), but yet I would be interested in learning more in detail about their beliefs and the reasoning behind them.

So - thoughts, anyone?

WA wr wb.

There are no sunni mosques. All mosques belong to God. Now it may be occupied by sunnis. I go to sunni mosques whenever I get invited or get the chance. Since knowledge can come from any people it should only help us, but if one's knowledge of islam isn't strong it may not be the best idea because they may start to doubt before actually knowing. So if one is ready, go for it and hopefully bring them to the shia mosque permanently with your teachings.

So - thoughts, anyone?

also u can do taqia and jus do things in union with that, like salaat etc.

I can't remember how many times someone, with good intentions, has "corrected" my prayers. :)

You can pray with Sunnis, learn with them, have community with them, but you will need to repeat your prayers in the Shia way when you get home, if you perform them the Sunni way at the mosque. If there are a lot of wahabis, especially with you being a new convert, you may want to just go with the flow and repeat prayers at home.

I often have to offer my Zuharain in some Sunni mosque. But i do not feel uncomfortable. I do not care what people are doing. I offer prayer in Sunni Brailvi mosques but not Wahabi/Deobandi mosque because that may cause problem for me. They might beat me for offering prayer there :)

Just go. Pray, and if you want to leave right away, then leave right away. The prayer in congregation is 27 times more rewardable than the prayer offered alone.

I am guessing that since she has no Shia community, that in addition to praying in congregation, the sister would appreciate the fellowship of Muslimas.

Just go. Pray, and if you want to leave right away, then leave right away. The prayer in congregation is 27 times more rewardable than the prayer offered alone.

I think it's 12 times more benefit if the masjid is in a market place and 25 times more benefit in a regular masjid I guess in cities. The hadith I got from maaref-foundation from what I remember.

I prayed along side a couple of Sunnis today at Heathrow (England) airport's multifaith prayer room, wasn't too bad, just got a couple of dirty looks.

The man thought I was a Sunni, so he came up to me and my younger brother and asked if we wanted to pray Jama'a, I had no problem, so we started praying behind another Sunni leader when before I know it the man was putting his feet so wide apart I thought he was about to do the splits. He saw me praying with my hands down with a moor so he moved his feet back away from me a little bit.

Was an "interesting" experience.

Edited by Sadiq M...

salam.

My friend told me that his uncle went to a mosque and started namaz , when he finished he found a few man standing next to him. they said " this is not your mosque , its our mosque ". his uncle simply replied " oh sorry i didnt know if it is your mosque , i misunderstood .i thought if it belongs to Allah , i should find it somewhere else"

hhhmmmmm.... i understand you want some muslim friends but it doesnt mean you have to hide ur belief, if i was in ur shoes i think i would get some corage say "yali madat" and pray how i want to, although sunnis go there you shouldnt feel threatenrd as you are stronger then them in your heart and mind, you have the power to pull up and if they do have a propblem, well tuff, thats there problem. you as an indiviual can raise above the whole "its my mosqe im a sunni, you shouldnt be here etcetce etc."

in our local mosque we have 3 in our area, 2 mainly sunni attend, and 1 shia attend, however when it gets really full or someone i.e a sunni wishes to pray at the shia mosque NO-ONE has a problem with it, we open our arms to them,.

yea i no some people say u shouldnt go coz whabbies are there, but hey, thers nothink wrong with what your doing in ur eyes is there???? inshallah you will find the right answer you seek for.

(salam)

I wouldn't go to a Sunni mosque if they says uncomplimentary things about the Holy Prophet (sa) and the Ahlul Bayt or if they praise enemies of ahlul bayt i.e., Muawiyah/Yazed (LA).

If the mosque has some decent muslim people, I'll probably go for a one time gathering like on Eid.

I'll never hide the fact that I am not a Sunni if there is no danger to my life. If there is then ...I wouldn't even go to a place where I am not welcome.

Edited by Zareen

Try to find some other Shias that go there and go with them. If there is no Shia mosque, there are probably some Shia among them unless they are extremely Wahhabified.

salam

I used to live in Indiana ,hammond ,lol @gary etc..I tell you what chicago isn't that far I know a very active shiaa community down there and if you are interested ,I can even guide you where to go and seek usful informations inshallah,I'm sure you can get there with no problem.

by the way I pray in a sunni mosque and I walk my walk and and remember how Ali have died whilst praying ,it may hurt but it is an honor to me dying such a state than been hurt by a loser or a actrice women or any low life issues that is more of a shame to me.ahumm anyway if you want that info pm me.I will be happier to help a sister from Indiana ,the people there were kind to me .

fe Amani lah

My friend pray in a sunni mosque, bcoz we still don't have a shia mosque here in zamboanga, Philippines... He pray as a SHI'A and his not afraid if people start staring at him... He said "I did it on purpose.. I want them to come and questioned me .. And I will insha Allah answer them through the Qur'an and the hadith of the Ahlul Bayt.... This is my of spreading the TRUTH :)

weird story wanna hear? I was at a mosque it was occupied by sunnis but it doesnt really matter to me.. the guy was saying khutba and a kid passed gas.. No one told him to do wudhu or anything I was amazed.. It was apparent you couldnt ignore it.. it sounded like a machine gun (I am sorry if that is really disgusting and makes u lose all respect you have for me)

I'm a Sunni muslim, so apparently I’d advise you to go to the mosque. However, the comments about praying with Sunnis caught my attention. For those who pray with us as a “taqqiyah” and go home to pray again, what is the point of praying with us? I’m not trying to be offensive; I just find such doing to be illogical. Would you mind explaining the logic behind that?

(bismillah)

(salam)

I haven't been to a Sunni mosque, but I've prayed in the multi-faith room on campus when Sunnis are there and they haven't really bothered me.

I'm a Sunni muslim, so apparently I’d advise you to go to the mosque. However, the comments about praying with Sunnis caught my attention. For those who pray with us as a “taqqiyah” and go home to pray again, what is the point of praying with us? I’m not trying to be offensive; I just find such doing to be illogical. Would you mind explaining the logic behind that?

I think its quite ridiculous too. No one at my masjid knows I am Shi'i but I don't go home and redo my prayers...I pray with my hands down and been told to do sajda on the back of my hand as using paper or mohr would be highly suspicious.

In our local mosque we have many shia that pray with us and they are welcome and they pray their own way. we dont eat people. i personally have more than 20 shia girls who are close friends.they come to my home to our mosque we eat together we shop together and they always attend our masjid as there are no shia mosques anywhere near. Youll be surprised in an isolated land the sunni and shia become so close and have a duty to accomadate for each other.

@) (wasalam) (bismillah)

Well I was interested in learning more quran. I wanted to be able to recite loke some of these sunni imams. I went into their masjid witch is just accross the street from my shi'i masjid and I had no probl3ems walking in and asking my questions about learning the quran more.

I kept my arms down in prayer and made sujud on my thumb nails as i know you can do that if you have nothing to make sujud on. Yes I am a slick one B) .

Brother just act like you know nothing about Islam. Thse people get off on new people showing up in their centers, so just ask them how to pray and that sort of thing. You will be accepted in no time.

I know how you feel when you just want to go to a masjid for Allah. I know this feeling well.

If you want to still look shi'i pick up on some of the maliki madhab and no one will say anything bad to you if you are going from one of their four sunni madhabs. The maliki people at least look like us when they are standing in prayer.

If they say anything to you about one of their books just say "oh yeah good book" lol. That always gets them off my case at these wahabi centers.

I have done this so many times bro. i know what I'am, doing B) @)

(bismillah)

(salam)

I kept my arms down in prayer and made sujud on my thumb nails as i know you can do that if you have nothing to make sujud on. Yes I am a slick one cool.gif .

Brother just act like you know nothing about Islam. Thse people get off on new people showing up in their centers, so just ask them how to pray and that sort of thing. You will be accepted in no time.

I know how you feel when you just want to go to a masjid for Allah. I know this feeling well.

If you want to still look shi'i pick up on some of the maliki madhab and no one will say anything bad to you if you are going from one of their four sunni madhabs. The maliki people at least look like us when they are standing in prayer.

If they say anything to you about one of their books just say "oh yeah good book" lol. That always gets them off my case at these wahabi centers.

I have done this so many times bro. i know what I'am, doing

Brother, please don't do this. There simply isn't a requirement to hide our faith, not in the West at least. Our lives are not in danger over here.

Furthermore, doing such things is deceptive. They might not like you for it, but I guarantee you that deep down some of these people will admire your courage if you walk in and clearly demonstrate your faith. In fact, it will break a lot of the myths that some of them have been fed.

Keep in mind that some people have never knowingly seen a Shi'i, and have only heard about how bad they are. To see you praying fearlessly, reciting Qur'an etc... might lead to some people asking themselves if everything they were told about Shiites was really true or not.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother, please don't do this. There simply isn't a requirement to hide our faith, not in the West at least. Our lives are not in danger over here.

Furthermore, doing such things is deceptive. They might not like you for it, but I guarantee you that deep down some of these people will admire your courage if you walk in and clearly demonstrate your faith. In fact, it will break a lot of the myths that some of them have been fed.

Keep in mind that some people have never knowingly seen a Shi'i, and have only heard about how bad they are. To see you praying fearlessly, reciting Qur'an etc... might lead to some people asking themselves if everything they were told about Shiites was really true or not.

I agree.

I go to Sunni Mosque and pray how i like.

Unless someone has a gun on my head or i know they will kill me later, i wont hide my belief.

I dont understand why people hide when there is no danger?

Is it because we want to be accepted.

Then should we hide from Christians and pretend we are not Muslim also?

What they are doing is not taqqiyya. Taqiyya is only applicable when you life is being directly threatened. What they are doing is just trying not to be hasseled by 'Salafi enforcers' who are present at many Sunni masjids. I have been to many Sunni masjids. I pray the way I normally pray. I have been harrased twice, and almost 'jumped' once and told not to come back and was called a kafir. I am a well built guy and I can take care of myself in a fight so things like that don't intimidate me that much (unless someone pulls out a gun or knife, lol). That is not the case for all our br. and also sisters who may have some fear about a certain way to pray being forced on them. If our Sunni br want to create a better environment for unity, they should kick these Salafi thugs out of their masjids and make them pray on the street. That would help alot. Also, and this is only my personal observation, I have never seen a Sunni br harassed in a Shia masjid for the way that they pray. I have never heard anyone make rude comments to them about it.

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

In the Name of Allah, The most benificent, The most merciful

Salaamlykum

I think that you should go to the sunni mosque once, to see how nice they are etc, because some sunni mosque's are really welcoming, but others....let's leave it at that. But you should also go there to encourage unity, and talk to them about shiasm, but don't be fooled if they prevent you with unreliable hadiths that show that shiasm is wrong etc, but just go and see how it goes.

And may we all hold firmly onto the rope of guidance of Allah (S.W.T)