Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
BintAlHoda

How's The Washington Dc Area Muslim Community?

Thanks Br Rahat for posting the packet!

So... how do you guys like the Shia community in the DC area? Is there much going on there? Is everyone into politics b/c it's DC? ;) Would you recommend people to move there?

Its freaking awesome!!!

No really, it is. Its mostly Pakistani/Indian Shias here, (although I hear IEC is Iranian).

Theres tons of things going on. Thursday night program, Saturday morning program, and Sunday school are the weekly happenings. however theres more programs going on hosted by random people.

We have both English and Urdu programs for wiladats/jashans. Same in Muharram, English and Urdu majalis daily. About the politics thing, yea people are into it. Actually we have a organization, IIC (Islamic Information Center) that does some political stuff. I dont know too much about it though, ask bro Rahat about that.

I would definately recommend people to move here. Especially if your desi, the Azadari programs in Urdu are amazingg!!

Its freaking awesome!!!

No really, it is. Its mostly Pakistani/Indian Shias here, (although I hear IEC is Iranian).

Theres tons of things going on. Thursday night program, Saturday morning program, and Sunday school are the weekly happenings. however theres more programs going on hosted by random people.

We have both English and Urdu programs for wiladats/jashans. Same in Muharram, English and Urdu majalis daily. About the politics thing, yea people are into it. Actually we have a organization, IIC (Islamic Information Center) that does some political stuff. I dont know too much about it though, ask bro Rahat about that.

I would definately recommend people to move here. Especially if your desi, the Azadari programs in Urdu are amazingg!!

Hmmmmm what if you aren't Desi and you don't speak Urdu?

Hmmmmm what if you aren't Desi and you don't speak Urdu?

Theres still plenty of things going on for non Urdu speakers. Like I said, English majalis in Muharram, English programs for wiladats. We have an excellent resident Alim at Idara e Jaferia, Maulana Rafiq Naqvi who is fluent in English. The thursday night programs, which includes Dua e Kumayl and Tafseer e Quran is usually done in English. The youth group is always doing one thing or another, for example right now they have a camping trip coming up and they'll be visiting an orphanage soon.

Salaam,

Both Idara and IEC have a multitude, if not majority, of programs in English. During Muharram for example, Idara has a separate English program for our attendees that contains some of the best speakers and programs in the East coast. Otherwise throughout the year we hold many English language lectures and seminars.

The other advantage is that living in this area gives u access to 2 major cities: DC and Baltimore. I actually live in a suburb, called columbia, thats equidistant to both cities. It really is one of the nicest places to live. In terms of the community we have a really open, welcome and friendly community, as evidenced by Brother SH Rizvi's enthusiasm.

The youth groups here are strongly focused on community service, and there are other groups for those interested in politics, and various womens auxiliaries - basically a lot of different groups for whatever suits your fancy.

Most of the people who visit or move to DC as a 'summer job' end up staying here forever if thats any indicator.

If you have any other q's you can email me at rahat@islamicinformationcenter.org ... or post here, either is fine!

-

rahat

I don't know about the community, but I was in Washington this past weekend, and OH MY, I couldn't turn my head without seeing a hijabi sister. Wow, mashallah!

That's really something! Where were you in the DC area, and did you like it?

^I was touristing around. :) Took kids to the air and space museum. Also ate at an Iranian restaurant in Vienna, but while in the restaurant, I didn't see any hijabi ladies, only on the train and in the city. We did all enjoy it. Driving on the beltway from the ex-mother-in-law's house to the metro station at Vienna made me very nervous, but I got over that quickly. I enjoyed the diversity of the population. I always feel more comfortable when in places where the people are of a variety of types.

Theres still plenty of things going on for non Urdu speakers. Like I said, English majalis in Muharram, English programs for wiladats. We have an excellent resident Alim at Idara e Jaferia, Maulana Rafiq Naqvi who is fluent in English. The thursday night programs, which includes Dua e Kumayl and Tafseer e Quran is usually done in English. The youth group is always doing one thing or another, for example right now they have a camping trip coming up and they'll be visiting an orphanage soon.

Hujjat ul Islam, Maulana Rafiq Naqvi is great, I met him in February in Atlanta, he was addressing Majlais here, simply awsome! I have that area in my mind as well. Insha Allah, who know I may end up at Johns Hopkins :Hijabi:

Hujjat ul Islam, Maulana Rafiq Naqvi is great, I met him in February in Atlanta, he was addressing Majlais here, simply awsome! I have that area in my mind as well. Insha Allah, who know I may end up at Johns Hopkins :Hijabi:

Sweet, I know a few people working at Johns Hopkins. Im sure you'd fit in well, as we have a branch of Anjuman e Ghamkhwaran e Abbas here as well :)

^Sorry to hear that... hope it was for the best!

Does anyone know if there are any good Islamic schools in that area? I know there is one Shi'a school - what about Sunni schools? (Preferably middle/high schools)

Sweet, I know a few people working at Johns Hopkins. Im sure you'd fit in well, as we have a branch of Anjuman e Ghamkhwaran e Abbas here as well :)

Great! I have been there once, Johns Hopkins medical school is just fabulous would love to work there or I may spend little while at National Institutes of Health in Bethesda. BTW, Zia Bhai visit that area quite often many people from DC come to Atlanta for Ashura procession! Insha Allah will let you know if I am invading :)

^Yup, Zia bhai is a frequent visitor here. Yea bro, definately send me a PM or something if you decide to come by sometime.

BintAlHoda, Im not sure about the Islamic Schools. Inshallah I'll try to find that out for you. :)

Here's what i found on Google:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1...esults&cd=1

Edited by S.H.Rizvi

There are three major shi'a masjids in that area, I believe. There is Idara, IEC, and one that is primarily Iraqi.

I live in PA, but I frequently go down to DC and visit IEC. The community has its problems, like every community does.... but, there is a center, there are good people and there are bad people. I personally know a few sisters down there who are wonderful.

If I could choose where to go live in the US, I would go to the DC area, even with all its problems and the drama.

Salaam,

MCS is the big Shia private school, I would not advise sending children to the other Sunni schools as there is a great deal of "Wahabi" influence amongst them. The most famous of such schools is "Al Huda".

I've heard generally positive remarks about MCS - as while its run by Shias, caters to Muslims of all sects.

-

rahat

(salam)

I was in DC recently for a short vacation. I love the city. You can walk everywhere. Lots of exciting things to do and places to visit and they are freeee...love the diversity.

It would be nice to stay close to DC ..probably somewhere in the Virginian Suburban..just to keep my car and use the metro daily :wub: :lol:

I am not sure about the local centers but it seems they are pretty active.

Edited by Zareen

Everything is in the stickied post on the welcome packet!

Shia centers in the Area

Name Address Address 2 Phone URL State

Idara-e-Jaferia 3140 Spencerville Road Burtonsville, MD 20866 http://www.idara-e-jaferia.org Maryland

Imam Mahdi Education Center 25450 Old Hundred Road Comus, MD 20842 http://www.imammahdicenter.com Maryland

Imamia Center Inc P.O.Box 275 Lanham, MD 20706 301-552-2912 Maryland

Islamic Education Center 7917 Montrose Road Potomac, MD 20854 none available http://www.islamiceducationcenter.org Maryland

Ahlul-Bait Center 1474 N 30 Flint Lee Rd Chantilly , VA 20151 , USA Virginia

Ahlul-Bayt Islamic Trust Of America 5607 Schoolfield Ct Centerville , VA 22020 , USA Virginia

Arrasool Islamic Center 7254 mapale place Annandale , VA 22003 , USA (703) 642-0420 http://www.members.cox.net Virginia

Darul Salam Center 4510 Old Columbia Pike Annandale, VA 22003-2117 (703) 941-4779 http://www.darulsalam.org Virginia

Imam Ali Center 7900 Backlick Road Springfield, VA 22150 none available http://www.imamalicenter.org Virginia

Imam ASR Islamic Ceminary 5501 Cherokee Ave. Alexandria , VA 22312 , USA (703) 927-1944 Virginia

Imam Mehdi Center 2035 Shallow Well Road Manakin Sabot, VA 23103 Phone:804-784-4377 Virginia

Int.Institute of Islamic Thought P O Box 669 555 Grove St Herndon , VA 22070 , USA Virginia

Kufa Center of Islamic Knowledge P O Box 11771 Roanoke , VA 24022 , USA (540) 563-8471 http://www.kufa.org Virginia

Manassas Mosque 12950 Prayer Ct. Manassas , VA 20109 , USA (703) 257-5537 http://www.islamic-city.com Virginia

Mohammadia Center of Virginia P O Box 15432 Alexandria , VA 22309 , USA (703) 256-9326 Virginia

Mohammadia Center of Virginia  7900 Backlick Road Springfield, VA 22150-2206 none available http://www.mohammadia.org Virginia

Siraj Islamic Center 7817 Odell St Springfield , VA 22153 , USA (703) 455-8779 Virginia

Virginia Aslamic Center 15519 Lee Highway Centerville , VA 20121 , USA (703) 674-3453 Virginia

There's plenty of halal places around, including restaraunts, grocery stores, etc. Idara e Jaferia has english majalis first 10 days of moharram, and every weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) for the rest of moharram. Outside of moharram, the tafseer of quran every thursday is done in english, and there are always seminars and such going on through the IIC. you can see some of the programs IIC has sponsored here http://www.islamicinformationcenter.org/

Also, you'd be close to DC, shouldn't be too hard to find a job

Northern VA doesn't really have any 'cheap' places per se, although you might find a deal in some situations (craigslist). For lower prices you want to look in Washington DC or maryland.

Northwest and Northeast (NW and NE) DC are really good places, but also a bit more expensive. The housing slump, however, has not hit the MD/DC/VA area. Do not live in Southeast, that is most assuredly the 'bad part' of DC.

I think you can find such a deal, but you really really have to look hard. I did it in 2007, I found a 2 bedroom/1000 sq ft for 970/month. The realtor was named "Dinwiddie LLC" but sometimes go by the name "Rudd Realty". They're very unprofessional, so thats the caveat, but the apartment itself was nice. I think you can reach them by 703 241 0700, but you really have to work hard to get someone to pick up the phone :)

good luck!

-

rahat

ps

dc-shias@googlegroups.com and dcmp@googlegroups.com are some google groups that you can join that have loads of people with housing details.

-

rahat