Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Al-Mufeed

Butter Chicken And Naan

Rate this topic

Salam U Alaykum,

So I have been cooking alot of indian dishes latley. So far I have cooked, tandoori chicken, samosas and mango chutney. Today I made Butter Chicken and Naan. So I thought I would share the recepies and the pictures with you guys.

Butter Chicken:

This dish is a bit rich, so you dont want to eat it too often. Basicaly you will need:

Heavy whiping cream

Onions

cooking oil (your choice)

Chicken (skinless/boneless cut in strips or chunks)

garlic-ginger paste (or fresh garlic, fresh ginger and lemon juice)

tomato

1 stick of butter (i perfer sweetend)

cumin poweder

fenugreek powder

red food coloring

Nuts (optional, cashew)

curiander seeds/powder

chilee powder

salt

sugar

and what ever spices you like

I personaly like to make my own fresh garlic/ginger paste.

n702771302_1548329_4031.jpg

Take a fresh ginger root, peel it and chop it up and then do the same with about 1-2 peices of garlic. Chop it very well (I use a chopper/dicer to do the job) then after that put it with some lemon juice (not too much) in a blender, and you should have a puree/paste.

Next you want to flavour the chicken peices. Mix the chicken with some of the garlic-ginger paste some red chilee powder some salt and some coriander powder. mix it well and let it marinate for about a little bit.

n702771302_1548330_5002.jpg

Then while your waiting for that, chop your onions and tomatos. You can use as much as you like depending on your tastes. I used about 4 small size tomatos. I also used 1/2 of a large red onion. I perfer red onion because the taste isnt as strong as white or brown onions and it has a more sweet taste to it which goes better with this dish.

n702771302_1548331_5998.jpg

It doesnt matter how big or small of chunks you cut them in to, because the whole mixture will be blended to a puree later. Just make sure you cut them in to chunks so that they can be cooked easily before they are blended.

Now you want to heat up a skillet and put some oil in it. You can use what ever oil you like depending on your taste. I think that olive or grape-seed oil goes well with the tomatos and onions, so that is what I use. Once the pan has heated up with the oil, put the marinated chicken peices in it and let it simmer for a while.

n702771302_1548332_6995.jpg

You do not want the chicken to cook all the way, your goal is to capture the juices that come off of the chicken. Once it simmers for a bit take the chicken out and leave all the juices and spices inside the pan that came off of the chicken. Leave the chicken off to the side untill later.

Now you want to put your onion in to the pan. Also put in some ginger-garlic paste. You want to put some water in to the mixture so that the spices that are stuck to the bottom of the pan from the chicken come off and mix in to your mixture.

n702771302_1548347_6476.jpg

Let the cook for a while untill your onions start to get a bit soft. Then you want to add in your tomatos and also some chilee powder as well as what ever spices you like. You can also add other chopped peppers if you like.

n702771302_1548348_6793.jpg

Now let that cook for a while, put the top on and really let it cook slowly for a good 15-20 minutes so that the tomatos and the onions cook very well.

Once the mixture has cooked really well, it should be very thick, almost like a paste. take it and put it in a blender.

n702771302_1548351_7729.jpg

DO NOT blend it right away. Since the mixture is very hot if you blend it right away it will make steam and it will burn you. Let it cool down for a few minutes and then blend it.

n702771302_1548355_9030.jpg

Cant have butter chicken with out the butter lol. So here comes the butter, melt 1 stick of butter in a pan, I perfer sweetend butter.

n702771302_1548354_8699.jpg

Once you do that, pour in the blended mixture its going to be very thick.

n702771302_1548356_9349.jpg

Your going to want to keep pouring in water untill it gets to be a silky/smooth mixture, because once you add the heavy creme it will become some what thick, so you want it as smooth as possible before hand. Keep adding water as neccisary. Also add some salt and a small amount of sugar. Also take this time to add in what ever spices you like. I personaly just enjoy adding the basics, garlic, black pepper, white pepper, salt etc. Once you keep adding water and mixing your mixture will turn a very nice buttery color and will be very smooth.

n702771302_1548357_9673.jpg

Then your going to want to add in the heavy cream, I used an 8 ounce package for my mixture. Mix it in and your sauce is pretty much finished.

n702771302_1548358_2.jpg

The sauce should be smooth, yet a little bit thick. It tastes very good, its a very rich mixture. Now I know what your thinking this doesnt look like the sauce they serve at the resturants, thats because you havnt added in the food coloring. But before you do that put in the chicken and let it cook really well till its done.

n702771302_1548360_668.jpg

Now your sauce is done, but you can add in some food coloring to give it the authentic look :)

n702771302_1548361_989.jpg

This is a bit more red than the way most people make it, but I personaly think it looks cool lol.

You can also add nuts to this dish, cashews go great with it. I personaly ran out of money when I was out shopping for my ingrediants so I left cashews out.

Now the Naan.

This is pretty simple the ingredents are:

Yeast

Flour

Warm Water

Salt

Sugar

1 egg

Milk

Vegitable oil

Pour the warm water in to a bowl and then put some yeast in it, about 1-1/2 teaspoons should do it. Then put a bit of milk in it, some salt and some sugar. The milk will make the bread softer. I also put an egg in it because that will make the bread even softer. Take this mixture and put it in to a bowl of about 3 cups or so of flower and then mix it. It should be VERY sticky. This is normal for this particular mixture. Youll notice that it is hard to roll the bread around because its sticky, finaly pour some vegitable oil on it to make it a bit easier to work with. After it is all mixed up let the dough sit for about 1-2 hours.

n702771302_1548328_3008.jpg

Even though mine is uncovered in the picture you should cover your bread with a large plate or a towel.

After you let the dough sit, it should have doubled in size or so.

n702771302_1548350_7415.jpg

Then take the dough and roll it in to small mounds. This is a bit difficult due to how sticky the dough is, your going to need to use flower to help with that.

n702771302_1548352_8055.jpg

Cover this with a cloth or some thing, and let it sit for a bit (15-20 minutes).

Then after that heat your oven up to around 450-500 degrees. Take a non stick baking pan, or just spray non stick cooking spray on a pan and spread one of the peices of bread across it. Stick it in the oven, it should only take about 4-5 minutes to cook the bread, fliping it over once. This is the what it looks like when it is cooked:

n702771302_1548359_328.jpg

Because of the egg and the milk in the mixture the bread comes out extra soft and it tastes MUCH better than normal naan. I also like to put some butter on top of my Naan and sprinkle differnt things on top. You can use what ever you like.

Also you can get creative and put garlic or onion or what ever you like in to the dough right before you put it in the oven.

And Finaly all of it put together with some rice on a plate.

n702771302_1548362_1320.jpg

It was DELICIOUS. :)

Hmmmm, I have never heard of it... to tell you the truth, the pics in the middle looked a little :sick: , but the end results look pretty good.

I'm gonna try it. :D

Now your sauce is done, but you can add in some food coloring to give it the authentic look :)

n702771302_1548361_989.jpg

This is a bit more red than the way most people make it, but I personaly think it looks cool lol.

Some one is going to say something about the color real soon. [coughGcoughEgoughP]

Maybe I'd try that when I feel like it, though I'd skip the food coloring agent...I think it looked good already without the weird red color, honestly... I wouldn't eat it if its red cus it gives me weird feeling in my stomach.. the brown color is authentic enough, why did you ruin it with the color I wonder..

mashallah she can cook. now go marry that poor sod that wants to become sunni for that gal. im sure youre much prettier and would guide him to the right path :lol:

lol@your pot mufeed! what the heck did you do to the teflon on that thing!

lol I think the OP is not a sister though

Salam U Alaykum,

So I have been cooking alot of indian dishes latley. So far I have cooked, tandoori chicken, samosas and mango chutney. Today I made Butter Chicken and Naan. So I thought I would share the recepies and the pictures with you guys.

Thank you for all your work with the great description with pictures - that is really helpful to know how to do this by yourself. I am going to try this for a friend's birthday party. I always wanted to know how to make this. It would not be good for a man to eat this - too much cholesterol! I think I will cut back on the food colouring though :P - maybe there is a way to do it naturally (spoonful of tomato paste?).

ws

Edited by Maryaam

Salam U Alaykum,

Imran it takes about 2 hours to cook both the bread and the butter chicken.

Cary..lol the pan is old and thats just what happend to it from years of cooking with a metal spatula, it scratches the pan.

About the color...

You can not get it a redish/orange color like in knightstemplar's picture with out the use of food coloring, tomato's alone will not do it. It will come out a butter scotch color like in my picture before I put in the food coloring.

Its not supposed to be as red as in my picture, I just accidently put too much food coloring in, thats why it came out like that lol. But it still tasted amazing.

Maryaam, yes it is very high in cholesterol its a very rich dish, and you should only have it once in a while.

But it is very very very good. :)

Edited by Al-Mufeed

You can not get it a redish/orange color like in knightstemplar's picture with out the use of food coloring, tomato's alone will not do it. It will come out a butter scotch color like in my picture before I put in the food coloring.

I will check with my friends the exact procedure but I am certain they dont use any colouring. But i am glad you took the critique well.....lol

Salaam alaykum,

Naan is made in a tandoor (wood fired clay ovens, where they stick the naan to the side of the oven) and i don't know how to emulate this at home in a regular oven (i'm not going to try and set fire to my oven and stick naan on the sides!). Does your naan turn out like the proper naan bread in a regular oven?

well we make butter chicken in a different easy way :angel:

from a jar? :angel:

Naan is made in a tandoor (wood fired clay ovens, where they stick the naan to the side of the oven) and i don't know how to emulate this at home in a regular oven (i'm not going to try and set fire to my oven and stick naan on the sides!). Does your naan turn out like the proper naan bread in a regular oven?

Well its not going to taste as it would if it came out of a wood fired clay oven. Alot of that has to do with the wood fire. But it still tastes VERY good. Its not really practical for people to have a wood fired brick/clay oven in their house lol. It still tastes very good if you use the oven method.

You can if you like get a large clay/brick slab and put it in your oven, let it heat up and then put your bread on top of that to cook, but I dont think its going to taste that much differnt than using a metal cooking tray.

Here is another method that will taste even better than the oven method, and its easy to do as well.

What you can do is get stainless steel wire mesh, I uploaded a picture to show what im talking about. Put your naan on that and then cook it over a fire slowly. You can use your stove top, or if you want to make it taste great do it over a small wood fire outdoors.

post-21325-1217349727_thumb.jpg

lol I think the OP is not a sister though

you think so? hmmm, yes you may be right. i didnt realise until recently that 'she' put food colouring into her food. i mean who does that? and then thinks that food the colour of blood looks cool? and notice how 'she' keeps reassuring everyone that it tastes VERY good? next thing you know she will be putting sleeping pills in to deal with an annoying husband. too evil to be a sister. *nods thoughtfully*

lol asif! again with the jars!

LOL..ufff the red colour....... :squeez: Jst stay away from food coloring agents next time - your food will akeed be 100% authentic :D

But the rice looks good, not many ppl kno how to cook rice like that. It must be ur Iranian side Mufeeed!

Overall a7sant, 7/10 :yaali: