Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Bibi Sakina/ruqayyah (as)

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

When I went to Sham for ziyarah, we visited a place in Bab-e-Sagheer with a grave marked 'Sakina bintul Hussain.' And it was in a prison underground. Then we went to Bibi 'Ruqayyah bintul Hussain's Maqam...' In nawhas and such, 'Ruqayyah' is hardly ever mentioned. It is always 'Sakina'. So what's the true name of the daughter of Imam Hussain that is mentioned in masaib?

And since she was moved because water was coming in her grave, does that mean that the real zindaan where the Ahle Hurem were kept captive and where she was buried can't be seen by zaireen? Then which prison is Sakina bintul Hussain buried in? Does it even have anything to do with the calamity of Karbala?

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member
(salam)

When I went to Sham for ziyarah, we visited a place in Bab-e-Sagheer with a grave marked 'Sakina bintul Hussain.' And it was in a prison underground. Then we went to Bibi 'Ruqayyah bintul Hussain's Maqam...' In nawhas and such, 'Ruqayyah' is hardly ever mentioned. It is always 'Sakina'. So what's the true name of the daughter of Imam Hussain that is mentioned in masaib?

And since she was moved because water was coming in her grave, does that mean that the real zindaan where the Ahle Hurem were kept captive and where she was buried can't be seen by zaireen? Then which prison is Sakina bintul Hussain buried in? Does it even have anything to do with the calamity of Karbala?

(salam)

Ruqqayah Bint ul Hussain (A.S)

• Basic Members

This is the same query i had when i 1st went to Syria in 2002, and was told ( by a religious leader) that Sukayna as was her original name but Ruqayyah was like a nickanme (if i am able to call it that) which Imam Hussain a.s gave her which i think they told me meant taweez in arabic , which is something that is worn around the neck close to ur heart and that he saw her as this, some1 close to the heart. It could be fictional but i liked it the story nonetheless as it fitted appropriatly to the relationship they shared.

w.s

• Advanced Member

^I thought it was the other way around, with Sakina being the nickname that Maula Husain (as) gave her because she was his sukoon.

From what I've heard, the prison was very close to yazid's darbar and Bibi Sakina (sa) was buried there. Bab e Sagheer is definately not close to the darbar, but the rauza of Bibi Ruqayya (Sa) is very close, walking distance actually.

Then there's the story about Bibi Sakina (sa) being moved to another grave. So by my logic, I assume that the rauza, close to the darbar was the original grave, and she had been moved to the grave in Bab e Sagheer.

However, I was told by a friend that the Sakina in Bab e Sagheer was Sakina bint Husain ibn Zainul Abideen.

Maybe the story about Bibi's (sa) body being moved isn't true and the real grave is at the rauza near the darbar?? Rab jaanay

A bit off topic, but how come there was a smaller zari inside the outter zari at Bibi Ruqayya's (sa) rauza?

• Advanced Member

I heard in a Majlis about these names.

Bibi's real name was Fatima as like other 02 daughters of Imam Hussain A.S.

Bibi was first famous with nick name of Sakina untik Ashura. This mean sakoon or peace.

After Ashura, Bibi never stop crying for her Father and this is why nick name was changed to Ruqayyah which mean some one who always cry.