In the Name of God بسم الله

Reading Namaz In The Car

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I have the same question for when traveling on a plane. Usually i would wait and read qadha since i though one couldent offer it while on the plane since no direction of kabaa (which one cannot due) and distrbances during namaaz and hard to do wudhu ect. So i thought that it would just be better if i read it when ive reached my destination. Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Edited by Hadrat Ali

• Advanced Member
Do any of you read namaz/salat in the car while you're driving? Sometimes when I'm running late for a namaz I do it while I'm driving. I was taught that you were able to, but is that ok? Thanks.

AssalaamuAlaykum,

How do u pray while driving? write ur question to najaf.org and they will reply u soon. But brother, why dont you try and set some time aside for namaz? There are shortened versions if u are running late. I found them on najaf.org.

I have never read namaz standing on a plane although i do my best to book flights around namaz time tables or pray at the airport. Once or twice i have read namaz in my plane seat using my arm.

Salaam

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

:o My Goodness no no u cannot offer Wajib prayers like this, its for mustahab prayers only..... will be back with rulings soon InshaAllah.

Wassalam.

Edited:

From Sistani.org

789. A Mustahab namaz can be offered while one is walking, or riding, and if a person offers Mustahab prayers in these two conditions, it is not necessary that he should be facing the Qibla.

Check more.... here

Edited by Fatimaa

• Advanced Member
Do any of you read namaz/salat in the car while you're driving? Sometimes when I'm running late for a namaz I do it while I'm driving. I was taught that you were able to, but is that ok? Thanks.

Salaam alaykum,

firstly if you are praying while driving then how can you drive the car? Secondly if you are runing late can't you pull over somewhere an pray in the street?

I have the same question for when traveling on a plane. Usually i would wait and read qadha since i though one couldent offer it while on the plane since no direction of kabaa (which one cannot due) and distrbances during namaaz and hard to do wudhu ect. So i thought that it would just be better if i read it when ive reached my destination. Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Salaam alaykum,

well you could do wudhu before you board, or if necessary in the toilet on the plane. Also most planes these days have a direction finder/route map so you can figure out the qibla, then just ask the air host if you can pray at the bacl for 5 mins.

• Advanced Member

The flight I had to pray on was about 5 hours and most of the namaaz during that day would get qadhaa so i had to pray then whilst on the flight and one person next to me also prayed their salah on board. In certain situations like this we have to pray on travel so what are we to do, you can't just say that 'oh make time for salah so you dont miss it' cuz sometimes plane journeys can be very long.

• Advanced Member

I recommend you redo those salahs... anyways how would you concentrate while driving? common sense...

• 8 years later...
  • Basic Members

According to Ayatollah Sistani, you cannot omit salah in any case and praying whilst travelling is permissible. Refer to the following exceprt from sistani.org:

"The mujtahids say that salat cannot be skipped under any circumstances. It means that it is not to be omitted whether one is travelling or at home; even if the time is running out, it is obligatory upon the Muslim, for example a traveller, to say his salat in a plane, ship, car, or a train whether stationary or moving; it could be performed any where: in the waiting room, in a public park, on the side of a road, or at the work-place, etc. When it is not possible for the traveller to say the salat in a plane or a car or a train in a standing position, he should say it while he is seated.If it is not possible for him to find the direction of the qiblah, he should face the direction that he most probably thinks to be the qiblah; if he is unable to prefer one direction to the other, he should pray in whatever direction he is facing. If it is not possible to face the qiblah except for takbiratul ihram (the opening "Allahu akbar"), he should at the least say the takbir facing the direction of qiblah. "

• 6 years later...

Why people make life hard for themselves.. Islam is not here to burden you but to make life easy for you. From my understanding you can pray in your car as long as it is parked and closely facing the direction of Mecca. Allah knows our intention and our struggles may he accept all our efforts InshaAllah. Regarding praying on the plane it is permissable while sitting. If a person is unable to stand then most likely he will perform prayers while sitting.. there is no problem with it. Allah knows best! May he guide us all to the straight path Ameen.