Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Now Say The Prophet Could Read And Write!

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalamwalaikum,

As the Quran is undeniable for all Muslims, here are some verses you all should think about before calling Rasulullah the man who can read and write.

Just as not to have any confusion, here’s part of 7:158. I'm using a Quranic Prism, so it's not the same translation as Yusuf Ali or etc.

(7:158) PART

“(O Muhammad): O mankind! I the messenger of Allah to you all the messenger of Him to Whom belongs the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth. There is no god except Him. He quickens and He gives death.”

However…

(7:158) PART

“So believe in Allah and His messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, who believes in Allah and in His words and follow him that haply you may be guided.”

Yusuf Ali Translation of 7:158:

YUSUFALI: Say: "O men! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth: there is no god but He: it is He That giveth both life and death. So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the Unlettered Prophet, who believeth in Allah and His words: follow him that (so) ye may be guided."

----------

29:48: “And you (O Muhammad) were not a reader of any scripture before it, nor did you write it with your right hand, for then might those have doubted, who follow falsehood.”
29:48:

YUSUFALI: And thou wast not (able) to recite a Book before this (Book came), nor art thou (able) to transcribe it with thy right hand: In that case, indeed, would the talkers of vanities have doubted.

----------

(62:2):

“He is the one Who has sent among the unlettered ones a messenger of their own, to recite to them His revelations and to make them purify, and to teach them the Scripture and Wisdom, though previously they were indeed in error manifest.

YUSUFALI: It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom,- although they had been, before, in manifest error;-

I do not wish to mention any names specifically, but now somebody tell me that the Beloved Prophet (sw) was lettered without thinking twice about it.

Take care! Assalamwalaikum

• Advanced Member
Assalamwalaikum,

As the Quran is undeniable for all Muslims, here are some verses you all should think about before calling Rasulullah the man who can read and write.

Just as not to have any confusion, here’s part of 7:158. I'm using a Quranic Prism, so it's not the same translation as Yusuf Ali or etc.

However…

----------

----------

I do not wish to mention any names specifically, but now somebody tell me that the Beloved Prophet (sw) was lettered without thinking twice about it.

Take care! Assalamwalaikum

Im sure I can give you the refrence later but prophet mohammed wrote a letter to the king of iran you know the story..

• Advanced Member

Assalamwalaikum,

I understand that, Brother, but you adjust the historical accounts to the Quran, not the other way around. What I mean is, the Quran explicitly states that he is unlettered, so even if I saw Rasulullah (sw) writing a letter, I would still not believe he was lettered.

• Veteran Member
[shakir 7:158] Say: O people! surely I am the Messenger of Allah to you all, of Him Whose is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth there is no god but He; He brings to life and causes to die therefore believe in Allah and His messenger, the Ummi Prophet who believes in Allah and His words, and follow him so that you may walk in the right way.

I believe "Ummi" means the one who is not taught by any one. It does not mean illiterate. This is worldly standard of literacy that one says that some one is student of some one as he got education from him. Allah in Holy Quran wants to make it very clear that no one has taught the prophet (pbuh). It does not mean that Prophet (pbuh) is not taught. In one of the holy verse Allah almighty says that "Prophet is taught by very powerful" (means Allah). So the concept that "Ummi" means illiterate is misconceived. Ummi basically means a person who is not taught by someone.

[shakir 29:48] And you did not recite before it any book, nor did you transcribe one with your right hand, for then could those who say untrue things have doubted.

This passage shows that the Holy Prophet did not acquire knowledge of reading or writing as other scholars do after taking lessons from tutors and teachers.

This view is supported by the first four verses of ar Rahman which declare that Allah Himself taught "Quran" and "Bayan" (expression) to the Holy Prophet. It is therefore incorrect to hold that he was incapable of reading or writing, otherwise he who was deprived of the capacity of reading or writing would not be commissioned by Allah as a prophet to teach the book and wisdom to the people (see Jumu-ah: 2 and Alaq: 4 and 5).

The Holy Prophet was divinely gifted with all knowledge, and so were the Ahl ul Bayt who were the heavenly depositories of knowledge of the word of Allah revealed through the Quran and previous scriptures. To ordinary men their knowledge and wisdom is a miracle.

• Veteran Member
[shakir 62:2] He it is Who raised among the inhabitants of Mecca an Messenger from among themselves, who recites to them His communications and purifies them, and teaches them the Book and the Wisdom, although they were before certainly in clear error

Yuzakkihim (purifies them) asserts the absolute purity of the Holy Prophet, because he who is thoroughly purified by Allah (see commentary of Ahzab: 33) can alone purify others. Among the thoroughly purified are he and his Ahl ul Bayt.

In verse 129 of Baqarah prophets Ibrahim and Ismail pray to the Lord:

"Raise up in them a messenger from among them who will recite to them your revelations, and teach them the book and the wisdom, and purify them."

In fulfilment Allah sent the Holy Prophet as a mercy unto the worlds to guide mankind. As stated in verse 164 of Ali Imran it was a divine grace and favour. Man does not favour the Holy Prophet by becoming a Muslim. In fact Allah has favoured man by showing him the way to belief (Hujurat: 17).

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

As stated in the commentary of Baqarah: 78 the Holy Prophet did not receive tutoring from any mortal being. Allah taught him the "book and wisdom" (Rahman: 2 and Najm: 5).

The Quran lays stress on the word ummi to point out that the appearance of a prophet among the ummies in order to educate and purify the whole mankind is a miracle.

The Holy Prophet, by reciting the revelations, attracted the attention of men and women around him; then, by turning their thoughts and feelings from sensual pursuits to intellectual and spiritual activity, he purified their hearts and minds, after which he taught them the book and the wisdom in order that they might apply the guidance in their day to day life.

• Advanced Member

Salaam.

The word "Ummi" comes from the word "Umm", which means "mother". It implies a meaning which is deep - it means that the mother is so in love with her child, that she does not place the child under the care of any tutor who can misguide him. The child returns to the mother through this terminology. The Prophet (a.s.) is "Ummi", not because he can't read or write, but because his creator, Allah, is so in love with him (a.s.), that only HE teaches him. No man can teach the Prophet (a.s.) because his knowledge comes from the unseen.

- Mansab

• Advanced Member
I also read that Ummul Qar'a is the old name of Makkah and with reference to this holy land Prophet (pbuh) is called Ummi meaning "resident of Holy Makkah"

Salaam.

This was a viewpoint as well, but it does not follow proper linguistics - if this were the case, Rasoolullah (a.s.) would have been called "Qarawi" and not "Ummi".

- Mansab

• Advanced Member

and in the where it's translated as "29:48:

YUSUFALI: And thou wast not (able) to recite a Book before this (Book came), nor art thou (able) to transcribe it with thy right hand: In that case, indeed, would the talkers of vanities have doubted."

Yusufali inserted the word 'ABLE' himself, the Arabic word for 'able' is not part of the ayat, otherwise it would not have been inserted (as it clear by the parenthases) by the translator.

the same holds true for 7:158 which, of the three main english translations I'm aware of, only pickthall translated that the Prophet (pbuh) 'could not' read or write, the other translators of this verse either leave 'ummi' intact in the translation, or translate it as 'unlettered'.

Þõáú íóÇ ÃóíøõåóÇ ÇáäøóÇÓõ Åöäøöí ÑóÓõæáõ Çááøåö Åöáóíúßõãú ÌóãöíÚðÇ ÇáøóÐöí áóåõ ãõáúßõ ÇáÓøóãóÇæóÇÊö æóÇáÃóÑúÖö áÇ ÅöáóÜåó ÅöáÇøó åõæó íõÍúíöÜí æóíõãöíÊõ ÝóÂãöäõæÇú ÈöÇááøåö æóÑóÓõæáöåö ÇáäøóÈöíøö ÇáÃõãøöíøö ÇáøóÐöí íõÄúãöäõ ÈöÇááøåö æóßóáöãóÇÊöåö æóÇÊøóÈöÚõæåõ áóÚóáøóßõãú ÊóåúÊóÏõæäó {158}

[shakir 7:158] Say: O people! surely I am the Messenger of Allah to you all, of Him Whose is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth there is no god but He; He brings to life and causes to die therefore believe in Allah and His messenger, the Ummi Prophet who believes in Allah and His words, and follow him so that you may walk in the right way.

[Yusufali 7:158] Say: "O men! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth: there is no god but He: it is He That giveth both life and death. So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the Unlettered Prophet, who believeth in Allah and His words: follow him that (so) ye may be guided."

[Pickthal 7:158] Say (O Muhammad): O mankind! Lo! I am the messenger of Allah to you all - (the messenger of) Him unto Whom belongeth the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth. There is no Allah save Him. He quickeneth and He giveth death. So believe in Allah and His messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, who believeth in Allah and in His Words, and follow him that haply ye may be led aright.

• Advanced Member

So what the wahhabiyah and their proponents here are saying is that an ordinary jaahil wahhabi scholar can be more knowledgeable than the Holy Prophet Nauzhubillah not only that they claim that their holy sahabas were more knowledgeable than Prophet and were able to rule Dunya better than him.

Curses be upon these ilk.

• Advanced Member

Assalamwalaikum,

Anyways, back to the topic. I'm going to ignore your post, because it's getting way too off-topic. You can start a new thread for that stuff if you want.

I want somebody with proper Arabic knowledge to tell me what those verses actually mean, somebody who's perfected the language.

• Advanced Member
(62:2):

�He is the one Who has sent among the unlettered ones a messenger of their own, to recite to them His revelations and to make them purify, and to teach them the Scripture and Wisdom, though previously they were indeed in error manifest.

YUSUFALI: It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom,- although they had been, before, in manifest error;-

This ayat is so interesting. if you take the meaning of Ummeeyeen in the ayat to be a nation full of illiterates it makes no sense because arabs had many educated people who could read and write.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur'an

According to Watt, the meaning of the Qur’anic term ummi is unscriptured

Unscriptured is the most correct translation of the word since it makes most sense since Arabs weren't sent any scriptures till Quran was sent to them, unlike jews and christians who were sent many books before.

All I know is that when Allah gives Himself a body part, we just take the verse for what it is. We don't know HOW He has it, but He said He HAS it.

Idol worshippers made images of Allah to worship him.

• Forum Administrators

(salam)

The word ummi has been interpreted two ways by the scholars, both Sunnite and Shiite scholars:

Opinion #1. The fundamental meaning of the word, illiterate, to mean that Muhammed (pbuh) was sent to those who cannot read and write.

Opinion #2. The figurative meaning of the word, that since the Arabs had not received any prophets or Books before Muhammed (pbuh) and the Qur'an, that the Arabs were illiterate in the sense that they had no divine books. Gentiles.

I think it could go either way. It's possible that Muhammed could have known how to read or write, but there isn't evidence to prove this. The letters that were sent to the Persian Emperor and Heraclius could have just been written by scribes by the order of the Prophet, and some people say that the seal (the stamp on the paper that says 'Muhammed Rasool Allah') was to certify and make official the letter.

Either way though I do not believe this is a big issue.

• Advanced Member
I believe "Ummi" means the one who is not taught by any one. It does not mean illiterate. This is worldly standard of literacy that one says that some one is student of some one as he got education from him. Allah in Holy Quran wants to make it very clear that no one has taught the prophet (pbuh) . It does not mean that Prophet (pbuh) is not taught. In one of the holy verse Allah almighty says that "Prophet is taught by very powerful" (means Allah). So the concept that "Ummi" means illiterate is misconceived. Ummi basically means a person who is not taught by someone.

ITs kinda like saying he was born smart....but not really becuz he was tought befoer he was born....

• Veteran Member
Assalamwalaikum,

I'm not here to argue, I'm here to look for the truth. Anyways, I don't know Arabic in full-depth, but recite could mean to orally recite, no? So what arguments do you need if I have the Quran as evidence?

Quran does not say that Prophet (sawaw) was illiterate. Quran used the word "Ummi" and it depends on the one who interprets this in this way.

Furthermore, can you reply me a simple and easy question. Is Prophet (pbuh) not "Aalim" of the whole book (Holy Quran)?

• Advanced Member

It is nice to meet a Muslim who is in search of truth and not just trying to hammer his own views on other Muslims. So here is a page from E.W. Lane's Lexicon (Dictionary)

UMMI(T, M, Mgh, Mhb,y) and UMMAN(K)[the

former a rel. n. from UMMAT, and thus properly

meaning Gentile: whence, in a secondary, or

tropical, sense, 1 heathen;2 one not having

a revealed scripture; (Bi in iii. 19 and 69 ;) so

applied by those having a revealed scripture:

(Bi in iii. 60:) [and particularly] an Arab:

(Jel in iii. 60, and BI and Jel in lxii. 2:)

[or] in the proper language [of the Arabs], of, or

belonging to, or relating to, the nation (ummat) of

the Arabs, who did not write nor read: and

therefore metaphorically applied to to any one not

knowing the art of writing nor that of reading:

(Mgh:) or to one who does not write; (T, M, 1;)

because the art of writing is acquired; as though

he were thus called in relation to the condition

in which his mother (UMM) brought him forth:

(T:) or to one who is in the natural condition of

the nation (ALUMMAT ) to which he belongs, (Zj,' T, M,

1Q) in respect of not writing, (T,) or not

having learned writing; thus remaining in his

natural state: (M, :) or one who does not

write well; said to be a rel n. from UM because

the art of writing is acquired, and such a person

is as his mother brought him forth, in respect of

ignorance of that art; or, as some may, from . UMMAT AL ARAB;

because most of the Arabs were of

this description: the art of writing was known

among the Arabs [in the time of Molhammad] by

the people of El-Taif, who learned it from a man

of the people of El-Ileereh, and these had it from

the people of FI-Ambar. (T.) ') Xe,

.UMMEON LA YALEMON ALKITAB, in the Quran ii. 73, means Vulgar peron,

[or heathe,] who know not the Book of th Law

revealed to Moes: (Jel :) or ignorant person,

who know not writing, so that they may read that

book; or, who know not the Book of the Law

reveled to Mose. (B4.) Mohammad was termed

UMMI [meaning A Gentile, as distinguished from

an Israelite: or, accord. to most of his followers,

meaning illiterate;] because the nation (UMMAT) of

the Arabs did not write, nor read writing; and

[they say that] God sent him as an apostle when

he did not write, nor read from a book; and this

natural condition of his was one of his miraculous

signs, to which reference is made in Quran

[xxix. 47], where it is said, "thou didst not read,

before it, from a book, nor didst thou write it

with thy right hand :" (T, TA :) but accord. to the

more correct opinion, he was not well acquainted

with written characters nor with poetry, but

lie discriminated between good and bad poetry:

or, as some asert, he became acquainted with

writing after he had been unacquainted therewith,

on account of the expresion "before it"

in the verse of the Quran mentioned above: or, as

some may this may mean that he wrote though

ignorant of the art of writing, like as some

of the kings, being AMMEON, write their signs, or

marks: (TA:) or, accord. to Jaafar al Sadique,

he used to read from the book, or scripture,even if

he did not write. (Kull p. 73.) [some judicious

observations on this word are comprised in Dr.

8prenger's Life of fobammad (pp. 101-2);

a work which, in the portion ~ready published

(Part I.), contains much very valuable information.]

- Also, (K,) or [only] .UMI (AZ, T, M,)

applied to a man, (AZ, T,) Impotent in speech,

of few words, and rude, churlida, uncivil, or

mrly. (AZ, T, M, 1.)

M9b.)

• Advanced Member

Waqas,

Don't ignore 6.2 the same ayat which Waqas shoved in our face which categorically says that Prophet's (pbuh) nation was ALL UMMI.

If Ummi means uneducated or illiterate then the whole nation of makkans were illiterate and uneducated.

and nice post takmil.

Ummi means unscriptured or gentile nation who has not been sent a book before.

• Advanced Member

Assalamwalaikum,

Well how do we know if it means uneducated in a sense that pagans were uneducated or illiterate about Islam?

The dictionary entry above is kind of hard to read. Can somebody please summarize it up?

And this is (6:2):

YUSUFALI: He it is created you from clay, and then decreed a stated term (for you). And there is in His presence another determined term; yet ye doubt within yourselves!

PICKTHAL: He it is Who hath created you from clay, and hath decreed a term for you. A term is fixed with Him. Yet still ye doubt!

SHAKIR: He it is Who created you from clay, then He decreed a term; and there is a term named with Him; still you doubt.

What are you talking about?

• Veteran Member

A letter written by Rasoolullah (pbuh) is in Top Kapi museum in Istanbul IIRC. Similarly, there may be other writings of his elsewhere. There is even a photo of one of the letters written by him, floating on the internet. Just google it and you'll find it. Then there's the popular arabic piece of art which people claim is the seal of the Prophet (pbuh) which he would use on his writing. It's "Muhammad Ar-Rasoolullah" in arabic.

Edit: Found it.

pics--letter%20of%20the%20Prophet%20Muhammed%20(saw)%20to%20qaiser-e-%20rome.jpg

Edited by Abu Dujana