Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Hadeeths About Crimes Of Enemies Of Ahlul Bayt

Rate this topic

I decided to make this thread to just be a place to put hadeeths about crimes commited by the enemies of Ahlul Bayt, I will not limit it to Umar or Abu Bakr only. I do not want this to be a shia-sunni debate thread, I would just like this thread to be for people to post hadeeths about crimes commited by the enemies of Ahlulbayt, with refernces and if possible people should comment about the Authenticity of the hadeeths. If people have an issue with the hadeeths they are more than welcome to discuss them. But please no Sunni-Shia debates. This is for hadeeths only, thats why I moved it to the Hadeeths forum.

Salam U Alaykum,

At the request of some brothers I am putting up some hadeeths about some of the crimes committed by Abu Bakr and Umar as reported by Imam Ali .

This is taken from "Kitab Al Sulaim Ibn Qais al Hilali". For those who are not familiar with this book, it is said to be written by Sulaim ibn Qais al Hilali who was a companion of the first 5 Imams. He wrote down the hadeeths form the imams them selves or from the companions such as Salman, Abu Dhar, Miqdad etc.

As far as Sulaim him self goes, he is considered a trust worthy narrator. There are many statments by many scholars about his status and his honesty, but this quote from Sayed Khoie in Mujamur Rijal al Hadith should be enough to show that:

"Sulaim was very geniune, extremly respectable and a great personality. Allamah Baqri's statment that he was from the companions of Amirul Mumineen is sufficent"

Reguarding this paricular book, older scholars attest to its authenticity. Al Nuamani claims that every hadeeth written down by Sulaim in his book is sahih, and he wrote them down directly from the people he narrated them from (ie Amir al Mumineen or Salman or Abu Dhar or other such personalities).

But I should note that in a conversation I had with a scholar regaurding this particular book, he informed me that In his book on rijal (which I personaly havnt come across my self) Sayed Khoie refrains from calling the book its self Sahih because he says it is difficult to tell whether it was actually written by Sulaim or not. BUT, he doesn’t disagree with the contents of the book which are in line with Shi'sm and do not contradict other hadeeths.

A hadeeth atributed to the book, which is said to be authentic by many scholars including Alamah Majlisi states:

"If any one from our Shia and our lovers does not have the book of Sulaim ibn Qais al Hilali, then he has nothing from us, and he doesnt know of our affairs. This is the first book of shia and is one of the secrets of the family of Muhammad (pbuh) ."

- Imam Jaffar al-Sadiq.

Any way, as was the request of a brother I am puting up a hadeeth of Imam Ali talking about the actions of Abu Baqr and Umar, it is a long sermon given by him in the Masjid of the prophet.

To note some of the things added in parenthesis were added by my self to make things a bit more understandable. Two things to note:

Mudd is 3/4th kilogram of food (given in the form of grains or rice) to poor people as a result of a person not fulfilling a vow or breaking a fast and for some other reasons.

“Sahaki” is a name of Umar. Sahak was the etheopian slave of Abdul Mutalib she had commited adultery with Nufail Umar’s grandfather. Then AbdulMutalib gave Sahak to Nuafail, and Khattab (Umar’s father) was born from their adultery. Hence Umar is the product of Adultry and called “sahaki”. Also the hadith begins by talking about an incident in Umars khilaphat where because of massive corruption by his governers Umar was forced to ask them all to return half of their wealth so that he could please the populace.

I also had to remove pbuh and as from the names of ahlulbayt because the site only allows me to put a certain number of emotions in each post.

Here is the narration (hadith 14):

Sulaim said: I reached a group of people sitting in the Masjid al Nabawi in which apart from the Hashimi, there was no one else except Salman, Abu Dhar, and Miqdad and Muhammad ibn Abi Baker, Umar ibn Salimah and Qays ibn Sa’ad ibn Abdallah.

Abbas said to Ali . “What do you think about why Umar stopped Qunfuz from returning the wealth like he asked all the other governers to return the wealth?” So Ali looked at the people around him, then his eyes filled with tears and he said “In gratitude of that striking, that he hit Fatimah with his whip, until she passed away and the effect of the hitting was like a boil on her hand.”

Then said: “It is strange that the hearts of the Ummah are filled with the love of this man (meaning Umar) and before him his companion (meaning Abu Bakir) and they believe in everything that he has created new. If all his governers were violators of the Trust and if that property was violated in their hands, then it was not permitted for him that he leaves them and it was compulsory for him that he takes all of it back, because it was the property of the Muslims. He did not have the right that he takes half and leaves the other half. And if those people were not violating the Trust, then it was not halal that he takes their property or takes any thing be it less or more. And he took half of all the property. If the property was in their hands in the manner of breach of the Trust and after that those people had not accepted and there was no proof (bayyinah) then it was not halal that he takes, less or more, any thing from them. It is more surprising that he returned some to their places; if these are violators then it was not lawful for him that he makes them governers. If these were not violators then their wealth is not permissible for him.”

Then Ali turned towards the people and said “It is surprising for the Ummah who see the tradition of their prophet changing and altering day by day, and each door changing, even then these people are happy and not reusing, on the contrary they are getting angry for him, and are getting upset with those that criticize him and refuse him. Then after us, a community will come who will obey his innovations, his oppression and the new things he has created and will make his new things religion and tradition and make these things a way of getting near to Allah.

He removed makame Ibraheem from the place that the Prophet (pbuh) had kept it, and put it where it was in the time of Jahiliyah, from where the prophet had removed it.

And he changed the Sa’a of Mudd of the Prophet. Even though there is proof or it as wajib and being Sunnah. So his biddah is only bad, because these were the only things given to poor people as the payment (kaffarah) for breaking an oath, and for Zeehar (when a man tells his wife her back is like his mothers). Instead of the people becoming a barrier between him and the prophet, they were happy and accepted what he did.

Then the evil actions of both of them were taken as good (with regards to their treatment of Fatima )

They both (abu bakr and umar) said:

“We believe Fatima will say nothing but truth, and Ali him self did not witness any thing except truth, and if there were any other women with Ummi Ayman, then we would have given Fadak to Fatimah”.

(this is in relation to Ummi Aymans testimony in front of them that fadak belonged to Fatima ).

Imam Ali continued:

“This is how both of them made themselves good in front of the ignorant. Who were with those two and who made them both governors that they give some to someone and not to others? But the Ummah involved its self with these two, so they both entered in to things that they had no right in, and they both had no knowledge of these matters. Fatima told both of them when he (abu bakr) wanted to take away what she had in her hand.”:

“Is this not in my control, and my agent (ummi ayman) is present, and when the holy prophet was alive did I not used to eat the crop of this land?.”

They both replied, “Yes, that has happened (i.e. you did eat crop from that land)”

Then Fatima said: “When you accept that why are you asking for evidence of what I possess in my hand?”

So both of them said: “This is the property of Muslims If the evidence is established then it is okay, otherwise we will not give it.”

So she said to both of them, when people were around them and listening. “Do you both want to take back what the Prophet (pbuh) did (i.e. give Fatima the land of fadak), and do you order particularly from us what you did not order from the rest of the Muslims? Oh people listen to what these two have done. What! Do you two think I will claim property that belongs to the Muslims, will you ask evidence from me or will you ask it from them?”

They both said, “We will ask it from you.”

So she asked, So if all Muslims claim they own what I possess in my hands, will you ask for evidence from the people or from my self?”.

Umar became angry and said “This is the property of the Muslims and their land. This is in the hands of Fatimah, and she is consuming the food it produces. If she provides proof that out of all the Muslims the Prophet gave her this land particularly, even though it is the property of all Muslims, we will think about it.”

So she said, “It is sufficient for me. O people I bear Allah as witness, did you not hear the Prophet (pbuh) say: “Surely my daughter is the leader of the women of Paradise.”

Every one said “Bearing Allah as witness we have heard this from the holy prophet. She asked “So will the leader of the women of paradise claim falsely and take what is not hers? What! Do you think that I four people bear witness against me over a bad deed or two people for stealing will you accept them to e true against me?”

Abu Bakr remained quiet but Umar said “Yes we will apply the law on you.”

She said, “You told a lie and are cunning, and you accept that you are not on the religion of Muhammad . Surely, a person who declares it compulsory on the leader of the women of Paradise to produce evidence or applies the law on her, surely he is cursed and is a disbeliever (kafir) of what Allah has reveled on Muhammad, because there can be no evidence against those “from who Allah has kept impurity away and has declared pure as it is their right, because they are infallible from corruption and pure of all evil. O umar tell me who are mint by this verse? If any community bears witness against them or against any one of them, stating they are kafirs or mushriks, will Muslims ignore this or will they apply the law on them?”

Umar replied, “Yes, everybody is equal and under the law”.

She she said : “You are a liar and a kaffir. Ahlulbaayt and all people are not equal, because Allah has kept them (ahlulbayt) free from sins, and their infallibility and purity has been revealed (in quran) and has kept evil away from them. Who ever believes anyone true against them, then he is the one who has falsified Allah and his Prophet”:

Abu bakr then said, “Oh Umar I hold you by oath, shut up.”

The Imam Ali stated:

At night they both [Abu Bakr and Umar] sent someone to Khalid ibn Walid and said “We want to tell you a confidential matter and leave it to you because we trust you”. He said. “What ever you two want, tell me I will obey you.” They both said to him “The Mulk and kingdom we have acquired can not benefit us while Ali is alive. Did you not hear what he said to us and how he behaved towards us? We are not satisfied- it is possible that he silently calls people and the community agrees and he fights against us because he is the bravest among the Arabs, and you know how we treated him, and we have overpowered the kingdom of his cousin when we do not have any rights to it and we have forfeited fadak from his wife. So when you recite the Morning Prayer in congregation, stand next to him with your sword with you. When I recite salutation, you slash his neck.

Ali said “Khalid ibn walid recited the prayer standing next to me with his sword on him. Abu bakr stood for prayer and was thinking and regretting and confused until sunrise was near. Then before reciting the salutation in prayer he said “Do not do what I ordered you to do” The he recited the salutation. So I asked Khalid “what was the matter?” he said “I had been orderd that when he completes reciting the salutation I slash your neck.” So I asked “Were you going to do it?” He said, “By god, Yes, I would certainly have done that.”

Sulaim said, then turned to Abbas and those around him and said “Are you not surprised that he and his companion stopped dhil qurba (the rights of relatives) from us. The share of that dhil qurba that Allah had made wajib for us in Quran? Allah knew that these people will oppress us in this matter and take it away from us, so He said “if you believe in Allah and in that which We revealed to Our servant, on the day of distinction the day on which two parties met (Surah Anfal: 41)

And it is surprising that he demolished the house of my brother Jafar and included it in the masjid aand with its value did not give any thing to his sons. Then people did not think that as bad, and took no action, as if he had taken away the home of a dhalim.

His (Umar) ignorance and the ignorance of the Ummah is surprising that he wrote to all his governers that if a Junub does not find water it is not necessary for him to recite prayer and it is not necessary for him to perform Tayammum on earth until he gets water, even if he, does not get water till he meets Allah. People accepted it and were happy with it, although he knew and people also knew that the Prophet had ordered Ammar and Abu Dhar to perom tayamum for janabah and pray. They both witnessed it and others also witnessed it, but he did not accept it and did not withdraw the order.

It is surprising that they both mixed various matters concerning grandfather, with out knowledge, but they stick to their matter on ignorance and they both claimed these things that they did not know, defying Allah and being less fearful of him. They both claimed that the Prophet until he passed away had never passed a decision relating to inheritance concerning a grandfather. Although whoever knows about a grandfather’s inheritance has never claimed such a thing. Then everyone obeyed these two in this matter and confirmed that they were correct.

And his (umar) freeing Umuhate Awlad (those slave girls who deliver children), people accepted what he said and left the command of the Prophet (pbuh, and the way they (abu bakr and uma) behaved with Nasr ibn hajjaj and Jaudah ibn Salim and ibn Wabrah!

More surprising than that is Abu Kanfe Abdi came to him and said “I divorced my wife when I was not here, and the news of the divorce reached her, then in her iddah. I took her back and wrote to her but the later did not reach her until she got remarried.” So he (abu bakr) replied “If the man who married her has had sexual relations with her, then she is his wife and if he sexual relationship has not occurred, then she is your wife”. And he wrote that to him and I am witness- so he did not even discuss or ask me. He thinks he has enough knowledge and does not need to ask me. So I wanted to stop him so I said “I do not care, may Allah Humiliate him.” People did not think him bad, on the contrary they thought good of him and made it a tradition and accept that from and understand that to be right. This is a decision, that even if some one were insane, weak and bad, would not have exceeded that.

Then he (umar) left Haya ala Kharil Amal from the Adhan, and people took that to be tradition and started following him in this.

And his decision concerning a lost man and appointing a period of 4 years after which his wife can remarry- if her husband returns then he will have a choice to have his wife back, or pay her dowry. People thought that to be good, and have also made it a tradition, and accepted his ignorance when he had very little knowledge of the book of Allah azawajal and he was not even aware of the traditions of the Prophet .”

And his expelling every non-Arab from medina

And his sending a rope to his Governor in Basra which was 5 spans long and his saying that any Ajami (non arab) whose height is the same as that rope should be slain.

He returned the prisoners of Shuster when those slave women were pregnant.

And his sending a rope for those CHILDREN who had stolen in Basra and ordering that any child as tall as the length of the rope should have his hand chopped off!

More astonishing than this is that a liar stoned to death a liar (woman) and he accepted that and the ignorant ones also accept that and thought that an angel was talking through his tongue and telling him these things.

And his freeing the prisoners of Ahle ymen

And he and his companions not joining Usama and his army, when they both saluted him calling him Amir

After that, more surprising is that, that Allah also knows and people know too, that he is the same man who did not give that paper to Prophet (pbuh) that he had asked for. People still don’t think that was damaging or that there is any thing lacking in him.

He is the same man who is of the incident of Safiya, when he told her what he did. At that time the Prophet became angry until he said what he said.

He and his companion are those two who did not kill that man whom the Prophet had ordered them to kill. After those two failed, the Prophet ordered me and he said what he said about those two.

The Holy Prophet ordered Abu Bakr that he announce to people that whoever reaches Allah accepting tawheed and has not done shirk even minutely, will go to heaven. Umar sent him back and Abu bakr obeyed Umar, and disobeyed the Prophet and did not act on his command. Regarding this the Prophet said what he said about them.

His (umar) bad actions and the bad actiosn of his companion are too many to be counted. Even then, the ignorants and people could not see anything wrong in them and they love both tehse more than their own mothers and fathers. They do not like any thing bad said about these two but they do not mind it being said about the Prophet.

Ali continued: One day I passed by “Sahhaki” and he said to me “The example of Muhammad is just like the tree of dates which is planted in a dirty place.” So I went to the Prophet (pbuh) and reported this to him. The Prophet became very angry and came to the pulpit. The Ansar got frightened and came armed when they saw how angry the Prophet was. The said “What has happened to those communities that people hurt me in connection with my relatives although they have heard their merits and virtues that Allah has given them all, and how Allah in particular has declared them pure. And you have heard what I have told you concerning him who is the best and most virtuous in my Ahlulbayt and how Allah has declared these things specialy for him. He has blessed him with reputation and virtues in a manner that he is the first one in Islam and his difficulties in Islam are too many, and he is my relative. He is from me in such a manner like Haroon was to Musa and then you think that I am, in my Ahlulbayt like a tree of dates that grows in a dirty place?

Beware Allah has created his creation and divided it in to two. He declared me in the better one of those two. The he divided this section into three, in which there are branches, tribes and many families and celared me in the best of families, and this is Allah’s saying: “Allah only declares to keep uncleanliness away from you, Oh people of the house and to purify you a (thorough) purifying” (surah ahzab 33).

So this verse was revealed for my Ahlulbayt and family for myself and my brother Ali ibn Abu talib.

Beware that Allah looked at the dewellers of earth and He chose me and then looked again and he chose my brother Ali, my vizier, my successor, my caliph in my Ummah and the guardian of all mumineen after me. So he made me a Prophet and Messenger and argument and He sent messages to me that I appoint Ali my brother, my trustee, my successor and my caliph in my Ummah after me.

Beware he is the guardian of every faithful after me. Whoever keeps him friend, Allah will keep him friend, whoever bears enmity towards him, Allah will bear enmity towards him. Whoever loves him, Allah also will love him, and whoever hates him, Allah will hate him. Only a faithful will love him and only a Kafir will hate him. He is after me the Rabb of the earth and the dwellers of the earth, and is Allah’s kalimah taqwa and is he strong rope of Allah. Do you want to switch off the light of Allah with your mouth, though Allah is the completer of His light – the idolaters may not like it, The enemies of Allah warn to diminish the light of my brother and Allah wants to complete this Noor.

Oh people, those of you who are present, pass this sermon to those who are not present. Oh Allah you be a witness on all these people.

Oh people Allah looked the third time, then after me, he chose my twelve successors from my ahlulbayt and thse are all righteous people of my Ummah. In there, there are eleven Imams after my brother, one by one. When one of them passes away the other one from them takes his place. Their example is like the stars in the sky, when one star disappears the other rises because they are those Imams who guide and are guided and those who cheat them, their cheating doesn’t effect them, and those that stop helping them, their stopping does not harm them. These are all Allah’s authority on his earth and are witness over His creation, whoever obeys them has obeyed Allah. Who ever disobeys them has disobeyed Allah. They will not separate from Quran and Quran will not separate from them until they reach my fountain.

From all Imams, the first one is Ali who is the best of all of them, then my son Hassan, then my son Husayn, then nine from the children of Husayn. The mother of all of these is my daughter Fatimah (as) , and after all of them, Ja’far ibn Abi Talib my uncles son and the brother of my brother, and my uncle Hamzah ibn Abdul Mutalib.

Beware, I Muhammad ibn Abdullah am best of all Prophets and Messengers, and Fatima (as) my daughter is the leader of all women of paradise and Ali and his children are the best of all successors and my Ahlulbayt are the best of all Propehts Ahlulbayt, and my two sons are the leaders of all youths of paradise.

Oh people, surely those who want my intercession are hopefull about it- what! Will my Ahlubayt not benefit from it? Anyone who has been born through my grand father Abdul Muttalib who meets Allah, accepting Tawheed and who has not done ‘shirk’ even slightly, Allah will make him enter heaven even if their sins be equivalent to pebbles and foam of oceans.

Oh people, honor my Ahlulbayt during my lifetime and after me, and respect them and accept their virtues because it is not permitted for any one to get up from his place for any one else except my Ahlulbayt. If I hold the chains of the door of Heaven and after that the Mercy of Allah reaches me and I prostrate and am given permission to intercede, then I will not give priority to anyone over my Ahlulbayt.

Oh people mention my ancestors – who am I?

One person from Ansar stood up and said: “We seek refuge in Allah from his Anger and the anger of His Prophet. Oh messenger of Allah, tell us who has hurt you in connection with your Ahlulbayt so we can kill him so that his family finishes.” Then he said “Mention my ancestors. I am Muhammad ibn Abdullah ibn Abdul Mutalib ibn Hashim” he continued until he reached his ancestor Nizar, then he mentioned them till his Ancestor ismaeel ibn Ibraheem khalilullah. He said, “Surely myself and my Ahlulbayt are from such pure earth that was taken from under the Arsh until Adam, and all are through Nikah. None of them is through adultery. The Nikah of jahiliyah is not included in us. So ask me, By God, no man will ask about his ancestors but I will tell him.”

One person stood up and asked “Who is my father?” He replied, “your father is such and such who you are claiming to be” So he thanked and praised Allah, and said “Even if you had connected me to somebody else I would have been happy and accepted it.”

Another man stood up and asked, “Who is my father?” said, “Your father is so and so (i.e. that father who was different from whom he had claimed). So he became an apostate of Islam. Then another person stood up and asked “Am I from those of Paradise or those of Hell?” He (pbuh) replied “From people of Paradise” After that another person stood up and asked “Am I from heaven of hell?” He replied “from Hell dwellers.”

Then he (pbuh) said very angrily “What has stopped that man who has hurt the best one of my Ahlulbayt, who is my brother, my vizier, my inheritor, my successor, and my caliph in my Ummah and after me is guardian of every mumin,- from standing up and asking me who his father is and where he is- in heaven or hell?”

Umar ibn Khattab stood up and said “ I seek refuge in Allah from his displeasure and the displeasure of his Messenger. Fogive us Oh Rasul-Allah, may Allah Forgive you, pardon us, may Allah pardon you. Hide our matter, May Allah hide your matter and be tolerant towards us, may Allah you and shower his Mercy on you.” So the Prophet felt magnanimous and stopped.

Ali said “He (umar) is the companion of Abbas, whom the Prophet had sent to try, and he returned saying “Abbas has refused to give sadaqa from his wealth.” So the Prophet became angry and said, “Thanks are to Allah who has protected us from all those evils in which people want to wrap us in. Abbas has not refused sadaqa of his wealth but you rushed him, asking him for zakah of two years.” Then he (umar) came to me and wanted that I go to the Prophet (pbuh) to intervene so that he (the prophet) becomes happy with him, so I did that.

And this is the man of Abdullah i Salul- When the Prophet stepped forward to recite prayer for him, so he (umar) held his (the prophet) shirt and pulled him from behind and said “Allah has forbidden you to recite prayer for him and it is not permitted for you to pray for him.” The Prophet (pbuh) said to him “Evil befall you, you have hurt me. I prayed for him to honor his son and I am hopeful that 70 people from his father and his Ahlulbayt will accept islam. What do you know of what I said? I cursed him.”

And this is the man who on the day of Hudaybiya when the Prophet wrote that matter (the treaty), He (umar) said to him “You are humiliating us in our Dean.: then he started walking around the army and creating doubs among people and stirign them against the Prophet , and said “We are being humiliated in our Deen.” So the Prophet said “Give me an opportunity- do you want that I cheat and do not fulfil what I have written? Oh Sohail, hold the hand of Abu Jundal (umar)” So he held his hand and tied it in chains. Then Allah in result of the Prophet’s action declared his deed as worthy, intelligent and wise and honorable and virtuous.

And this is the man of Ghadeer Khum, when the Prophet appointed me for his Wilayat he and his companions said, “He always wants to praise his loved one and relative” and the other one said, “He always wants to hold his cousin’s matter high.” And he told his companion when I had already been appointed. “Surely this is a great honor.” So his companion very angrily had said “By God I will not listen to him and will never obey him.” Then he leaned on him and stretched himself and both went away. It is in this connection that Allah revealed: ‘So he did not accept the truth nor did he pray, but he called the truth a lie and turned back. Then he went to his followers, walking away in haughtiness. Nearer to you (is destruction) and nearer. Again (consider how) nearer to you and nearer’ (Surah Qiyamah 31-35).

This is a warning and telling off from Allah.

And he is the man who came to visit me (in sickness) with the Prophet and some companions. He hinted his companion so the later stood up and said “Oh Prophet of Allah, you have taken an oath from us concerning Ali and I can see his difficulty. If he passes away, who will be in his plae?” The Prophet said “Sit down”. He repeated this thrice. He then turned towards both of them and said, “By god, it will not happen, he will not die of this illness. By God he will not die until you two cheat him and oppress him and fill him up with anger. And after that you will find him patient and obedient to Allah. He will not die until various maters happen, he will not die of this illness. By god, he will not die; he will be slain and martyred.”

And more important than all these is that the Prophet gathered 80 people, 40 from the Arabs and 40 from the Ajam. These two (abu bakr and umar) were among them. All of them saluted me saying Amir ul Mumineen. Then he said “I will make you all witness that Ali is my brother, my vizier, my inheritor and my Caliph in my Ummah, my successor in my family, and every Mumin’s guardian after me. SO you all listen to him and obey him.” In all of these were Abu Bkr, Umar, Uthman, talha, Zubayr, Sa’d and Abdul Rahman ibn awf, Abu Ubaydah, Ma’az ibn Jabal and some people from Ansar. Then he (pbuh) said, “I declare Allah as witness over you all.”

Then Ali (as) turned to the community and said, “Glory be to Allah, how well have he tastes and discords (fitnah) of these two been drunk in the hearts of people, the Ummahs calf as well as the Samiri. All of them accepted and then claimed that the Prophet did not appoint any one as a caliph and they ordered an assembly and consolation and the one who said “The Prophet (pbuh) did not make any one Caliph, and the Prophet said “Allah will not join Nubuwat and Caliphat for our Ahlulbayt””

When he (pbuh) had asked 80 people to salute me as Amir al Mumineen and made them witness to it along with all others that made witness to it.

It is astonishing that they surely accepted and then claimed “the Prophet did not appoint any caliph and they ordered an assembly. Then after that they all accepted that they did not consult in connection with Abu Bakr, and allegiance to him happened suddenly and what greater sin can there be then ‘sudden’?

Then Abu Bakr made Umar caliph and he did not ollow the Prophet who he claims has left with out making a caliph. He was asked in this connection, So he said “What should I leave the Ummah of Muhammad like an old shoe? Would I leave It without appointing a caliph?” this was his taunt of the Prophet and he was heedless of his opinion.

Then Umar did a third thing. He did not leave it like he had claimed the Propht had done (i.e. not leave a caliph).nor did he appoint a caliph like Abu Bakr did. He brought a third thing and declared it an assembly among 6 people and excluded all Arabs from it. He became a good person in the eyes of the people through it and made them equal to me when the love of discord (fitnah) settled in their hearts.

Then ibn Awf paid allegiance to Uthma n and everyone paid allegiance to him when the people had already heard what they heard from the Prophet in connection with Uthman. That he (the Prophet) had cursed him many times. Uthman what ever he was was better than both of them.

A few days ago he said things in such a matter that my heart softened for him and I was surprised. By coincidence I was sitting in his house and Ayesha and Hafsa came and were asking their share of inheritance from the property and wealth of the Prophet (pbuh) that was in Uthmans hands. He said “You do not hold any reputation- I cannot give anything to you from the Prophet. On the contrary I am taking your own witnessing against you because surely you two stood as witness in front of your fathers that you both heard the Prophet (pbuh) saying:

“A prophet does not leave inheritors. What ever he leaves is sadaqa.”

Then you taught a villager who was urinating like animals and was cleaning him self with urine, Malik ibn Aus ibnil Hadasaan, and he stood as witness with both of you. There was on one from the companions within the Ansar and Muhajireen who stood as witness except you two and that Arabi (Bedouin/villager). By God, now I have no doubts that he also attributed a lie against the Prophet (pbuh) and you two also. But I accept your witnessing against you, so both of you go, you are not entitled”

He said, “Go, you two, go back- did you both not stand as witness in front of Abu Bakr?” They both said, YES. So he said, “If you had witnessed truly then you do not have any rights and if you’re witnessing was false, then the curse of Allah and the curse of everyone be on you two and those who accepted you as witness against this Ahlubayt.”

(as) said: “Then he (uthman) looked at me and laughed and said, “Oh Abul Hassan did I make your heart at peace from both of them?” I said. “Yes by god, you conveyed the full matter and said truth. God will humiliate both of them.” So my heart softened for Uthman and I understood by this he only wanted to lease me. He is nearer in relation to me than those two and is lesser than those two in oppressing us, although he had no reason or argument in this matter he remains caliph over us and claims our rights.”

Edited by Al-Mufeed

• Veteran Member

(salam)

JazakAllah for posting this.

Edit - Wow, there is more! Is the book in English or are you translating it?

Ali (as) said: Then he (uthman) looked at me and laughed and said, “Oh Abul Hassan did I make your heart at peace from both of them?” I said. “Yes by god, you conveyed the full matter and said truth. God will humiliate both of them.” So my heart softened for Uthman and I understood by this he only wanted to lease me. He is nearer in relation to me than those two and is lesser than those two in oppressing us, although he had no reason or argument in this matter he remains caliph over us and claims our rights.”

^Interesting. . .

Edited by Ali_Imran

• Basic Members
and Khattab (Umar’s father) was born from their adultery. Hence Umar is the product of Adultry

I dont see how that is Umar's crime ??

Anyways, I just wanted to say that Hazrat Abu Bakr (ra) and Hazrat Umar (ra) were the Father-in-laws of our beloved Prophet (pbuh). If they had such bad characters, Prophet (pbuh) in all his wisdom wouldnt have maintanied such relations with them and wouldnt have made them part of his family. And Hazrat Ali (ra) with such an impeccable personal character must not have said anything Ludicrous regarding their characters, since being Father-in-law of the Prophet (pbuh), they were his seniors as well.

Anyone who ridicules the Prophet (pbuh) or his Father-in-Laws or anyone of his family or anyone of the Sahaba has questionable IMAN. True Muslims will never commit such things. Such were and still are the tactics of Jews and Munafiqoon. And those who stand by their ridicules in this world, will stand by them in the next world as well.

(salam)

Edit - Wow, there is more! Is the book in English or are you translating it?

^Interesting. . .

That story is a lie woven from Nahjul Balagha which deals with Uthman's relation to the Bani Hashim. It involves the time the people were screaming for Uthman's blood and this is an excerpt of Imam Ali's admonition to Uthman

Sermon 163 - The people are behind me and they have made me an ambassador between you and themselves; but by Alláh, I do not know what to say to you. I know nothing (in this matter) which you do not know, nor can I lead you to any matter of which you are not aware. You certainly know what we know, we have not come to know anything before you which we could tell you; nor did we learn anything in secret which we should convey to you. You have seen as we have seen and you have heard as we have heard. You sat in the company of the Prophet of Alláh as we did. (Abú Bakr) Ibn Abí Quháfah and (`Umar) ibn al-Khattáb were no more responsible for acting righteously than you, since you are nearer than both of them to the Prophet of Alláh through kinship, and you also hold relationship to him by marriage which they do not hold.

The next para ought to clear the context up pretty well:

Then (fear) Alláh, in your own self; for, by Alláh, you are not being shown anything as if you are blind or being apprised of anything as if you are ignorant. The ways are clear while the banners of faith are fixed. You should know that among the creatures of Alláh, the most distinguished person before Alláh is the just Imám who has been guided (by Alláh) and guides others.

I hope this will suffice Inshallah.

salaams

• Advanced Member
Anyways, I just wanted to say that Hazrat Abu Bakr (ra) and Hazrat Umar (ra) were the Father-in-laws of our beloved Prophet (pbuh). If they had such bad characters, Prophet (pbuh) in all his wisdom wouldnt have maintanied such relations with them and wouldnt have made them part of his family.

So just because he had them as their in laws it would mean they are goody shoes? Have you not read about what the Quran states about their daughters and their role in the Islamic history?

And Hazrat Ali (ra) with such an impeccable personal character must not have said anything Ludicrous regarding their characters, since being Father-in-law of the Prophet (pbuh), they were his seniors as well.

LOL please they were not senior to Imam Ali [a], read the hadiths about Khyber and Khandaq.

Moreover, read Khutba e Shaqshaqiyyah of Imam Ali [a] mentioned in Nahjul Balagha. If their characters were so good then I wonder why would an Infallible person question them unless you wish to accuse Imam Ali [a] of lying.

Anyone who ridicules the Prophet (pbuh) or his Father-in-Laws or anyone of his family or anyone of the Sahaba has questionable IMAN. True Muslims will never commit such things. Such were and still are the tactics of Jews and Munafiqoon. And those who stand by their ridicules in this world, will stand by them in the next world as well.

Oh really? Did you forget about Fadak and the attack on the house of Fatima ? I guess by that logic the in laws of the Prophet [p] have questionable Iman since they advocated and took part in the attack on the house of Fatima as well as drag the brother of the Prophet [p] on the streets of Medina. Now I know they had questionable Iman but do you believe they did or will you ignore this and live in your bubble?

Salam U Alaykum,

I will adress a few points here they are :

First I did not translate this, the translation was done by Sayed Ali Abed Rizvi (ha). I do have both the arabic version as well as the translated version, if any one would like to see the original arabic as well let me know.

Brother/Sister Shikra:

I am not ridiculing or making fun of any one. I am only exposing the crimes that they commited. I did not state that it was Umars crime that he is a product of adultry. I pointed that out because Ali (as) as reported by Sulaim stated that once he heard "sahaki" (umar) say that the parable of Muhammad is like a date tree growing in a dirty place. Hence he is attacking him and his family "tree". The prophet adresses this in a long sermon, and Umar asks the prophet for forgivness. So is this not a crime?

Attacking the prophet and his ahlulbayt?

knightstemplar

That story is not a lie, all he is saying is that Uthman was NOT as bad as the other two, and that his relation to them is by blood and not by marriage (hence closer relation). But if you look he still says he was cursed by the Prophet several times. All he was saying is that Uthman was not as bad as Abu Bakr and Umar.

knightstemplar

That story is not a lie, all he is saying is that Uthman was NOT as bad as the other two, and that his relation to them is by blood and not by marriage (hence closer relation). But if you look he still says he was cursed by the Prophet several times. All he was saying is that Uthman was not as bad as Abu Bakr and Umar.

Salaams Bro

Thanks for your feedback. Let me tell you why I think its a lie.

So my heart softened for Uthman and I understood by this he only wanted to lease me. He is nearer in relation to me than those two and is lesser than those two in oppressing us, although he had no reason or argument in this matter he remains caliph over us and claims our rights.�

Imam Ali has never loved Uthman, not even for a moment. He hated Uthman more than the other 2. And the evidence for that is the famous Sermon 3. His worst criticism is reserved Uthman and you dont wont me to quote the ugly specifics unless compelled to do so. So Imam Ali's heart cannot be softened for a person he utterly despises for having changed the purpose of the ummah for ever. There are other sermons also that illustrate Imam Ali's venom for this man.

So I still maintain that the story is a lie. There may be nuggets of truth here and there but Imam Ali's heart never went soft for a horrible scoundrel called Uthman.

salaams

Edited by knightstemplar

• Basic Members

Fadak, attack on the house of Hazrat Fatima (ra) ... I have no idea. So perhaps I'm weak at Islamic History. I have heard people curse Muawiyah (ra) for nominating Yazeed and not endorsing allegiance with Hazrat Ali (ra) , and I have heard people question Hazrat Ali (ra)'s motives for not catching the murderers of Hazrat Uthman (ra). Whatever is truth and whatever is false, it is Not Our Place to Judge them.

Whatever their roles in Islamic History, and whatever the hatchets that existed between the Beloved Prophet (pbuh)'s in-laws, rests with them and Should be buried with them. Nobody else, not us or anyone, should carry and pass their burden of squabbles forward, because its not our place to do so.

Allah (SWT) must have a good reason why They, instead of Us, existed at the time of the Beloved and Chosen One (pbuh) and accompanied and stood by Him (pbuh). We cannot equal them. We must refrain from floating filth on any of them.

Instead of dividing and consuming ourselves over a quarrel that is generations old and did not personally involved any of us, we should come together as one. I am not good at Islamic History but I have heard that tribes fighting bitterly over age old quarrels was a pre-islamic pagan practice in Arabia, which our Beloved Prophet (pbuh) did away with by preaching the solidarity and Brotherhood of the Ummah.

May Allah (SWT) guide us all on Sirat e Mustaqim, unite us and save us from the dividing moves of our enemies. Ameen.

• Basic Members
So just because he had them as their in laws it would mean they are goody shoes? Have you not read about what the Quran states about their daughters and their role in the Islamic history?

Quran is from Allah (SWT), master of the worlds ... You and I are mere humble followers. Their Daughters (ra), infallible or not, were the wives of the Beloved Prophet (pbuh). Show respect for them whenever you speak of them.

• Veteran Member
Their Daughters , infallible or not, were the wives of the Beloved Prophet. Show respect for them whenever you speak of them.

Islam does not require respect for people just because they may be related to the Prophet. In chapter 66, the Quran reprimands the wives of Loot and Nooh. People deserve respect only on their own merit, not their relationships.

Instead of dividing and consuming ourselves over a quarrel that is generations old and did not personally involved any of us, we should come together as one.

I agree

Fadak, attack on the house of Hazrat Fatima. I have no idea. So perhaps I'm weak at Islamic History.

Perhaps you should do some reading.

I have heard people curse Muawiyah for nominating Yazeed and not endorsing allegiance with Hazrat Ali

Muawiyah was mischievous beyond all description. He waged war on Imam Ali and he broke the terms of agreement he made with Imam Hasan.

I have heard people question Hazrat Ali's motives for not catching the murderers of Hazrat Uthman.

What did you hear ?

What did you hear ?

Salaams

perhaps i can help here. Imam Ali's position on the killers of uthman and those who chose to abstain from killing him.

SERMON 30

Disclosing real facts about assassination of `Uthmán Ibn `Affán Amír al-mu’minín said:

If I had ordered his assassination I should have been his killer, but if I had refrained others from killing him I would have been his helper. The position was that he who helped him cannot now say that he is better than the one who deserted him while he who deserted him cannot say that he is better than the one who helped him. I am putting before you his case. He appropriated (wealth) and did it badly. You protested against it and committed excess therein. With Alláh lies the real verdict between the appropriator and the protester.

salaams

• Basic Members
What did you hear ?

Some historians cruelly and disrespectfully blame Hazrat Ali (ra) for the assassination of Hazrat Uthman (ra), others say that Hazrat Ali (ra) had nothing to do with it, even though he had opposed him on certain issues. Still others who say that Hazrat Ali (ra) sent his sons to protect the besieged caliph, and some who say that as Caliph, it was Hazrat Ali (ra)'s job to catch and punish the killers of the previous Caliph. WhatEver Actually Happened, their hatchets are better off being buried with them, because in the end, With Allah (swt) lies the real verdict.

To dig open these rows is to repeat that part of our History and create discord and division in the ummah. Only the enemies of Islam would love to see such a thing happen.

Islam does not require respect for people just because they may be related to the Prophet. In chapter 66, the Quran reprimands the wives of Loot and Nooh.

True. Example of Abu Lahab; uncle of the Beloved Prophet (pbuh), but he was a disbeliever, just like the Wives of Prophet Nuh (as) and Prophet Lut (as) ; Also disbelievers. I dont recall any of the Wives (ra) of the Beloved Prophet (pbuh) who were disbelievers. Respect the Beloved Prophet (pbuh) and his Blessed Family.

Qur'an 33:6:

The Prophet is closer to the Believers than their own selves, and his wives are their mothers

Edited by shikra

• Advanced Member

Qur'an openly reprimands certain wives of the Prophet (pbuh), specifically Hafsa and Aisha, for conspiring to lie against the prophet (pbuh). This is not a minor issue, this is something so important it is preserved for all times in Qur'an.

Also, not all mothers of believers are believers themselves, and the title in no way guarantees good behaviour. In fact, another thing Qur'an says to the wives of Prophet (pbuh) is that they will be PUNISHED DOUBLY FOR OPEN TRANSGRESSION.

Now, just a question, do sunnis consider waging war against a caliph as an open transgression (for anyone, let's leave aside individual examples, just a general thing.) Is fighting/waging battle against a caliph a transgression?

• Advanced Member

ok, let's simplify this further. Do sunnis consider waging war against one they term as 'rightly guided' to be an open transgression?

and do sunnis believe that any of their 'rightly guided caliphs' were unjust to the people?

Salam U Alaykum,

Thank you all for your replies, however I would like to say that I did not open this thread to make it a debate between sunnis and shias.

I am not interested in any debate. This thread was only opened to provide information to Shias about some of the crimes that Umar and Abu Bakr commited. I did not and do not expect any sunnis to accept this information as to them, our narrators are all liars/jews etc.

Im going to move this to the hadeeths forum. If you guys would like to open up a debate on the subject of people going against Imam Ali (as) please do so in another thread. Thank you.

Edited by Al-Mufeed

• Advanced Member

(salam)

with all due respect, if you didn't open it for shia sunni debate/dialogue, then it wasn't best to open it in the shia/sunni dialogue forum. Next time you might consider what you want to achieve with a thread when deciding which forum to post it in.

(wasalam)

This is taken from "Kitab Al Sulaim Ibn Qais al Hilali". For those who are not familiar with this book, it is said to be written by Sulaim ibn Qais al Hilali who was a companion of the first 5 Imams. He wrote down the hadeeths form the imams them selves or from the companions such as Salman, Abu Dhar, Miqdad etc.

As far as Sulaim him self goes, he is considered a trust worthy narrator. There are many statments by many scholars about his status and his honesty, but this quote from Sayed Khoie in Mujamur Rijal al Hadith should be enough to show that:

"Sulaim was very geniune, extremly respectable and a great personality. Allamah Baqri's statment that he was from the companions of Amirul Mumineen is sufficent"

Reguarding this paricular book, older scholars attest to its authenticity. Al Nuamani claims that every hadeeth written down by Sulaim in his book is sahih, and he wrote them down directly from the people he narrated them from (ie Amir al Mumineen or Salman or Abu Dhar or other such personalities).

But I should note that in a conversation I had with a scholar regaurding this particular book, he informed me that In his book on rijal (which I personaly havnt come across my self) Sayed Khoie refrains from calling the book its self Sahih because he says it is difficult to tell whether it was actually written by Sulaim or not. BUT, he doesn’t disagree with the contents of the book which are in line with Shi'sm and do not contradict other hadeeths.

Actually, an ancient view of at least some of the Imamis seemed to be that the book ascribed to Sulaym b. Qays is a forgery by Aban b. Abi `Ayyash. From the Dhu`afa of ibn al-Ghadha'iri:

- Óõáóíúãõ Èäõ ÞóíúÓ¡ ÇáåöáÇáíø¡ ÇáÚÇãöÑíø.

Ñæìþ Úä ÃãíÑÇáãõÄúãöäíäþ¡ æÇáÍóÓóäö¡ æÇáÍõÓóíúäö¡ æÚáíøö ÈäþÇáÍõÓóíúä(Ú).

æíõäúÓóÈõ Åáíå åÐÇ ÇáßÊÇÈõ ÇáãóÔúåõæÑõ.

æßÇäó ÃÕÍÇÈõäÇ íÞõæáõæä: Åöäø ÓõáóíúãÇð áÇ íõÚúÑóÝõ¡ æáÇ ÐõßöÑó Ýí ÎóÈóÑò.

æÞÏ æÌÏÊõ ÐößúÑóåõ Ýí ãæÇÖÚó ãä ÛíÑ ÌöåóÉö ßÊÇÈöåö¡ æáÇ ãä ÑæÇíÉö ÃóÈÇä ÇÈä ÃÈí ÚíøÇÔ Úäåõ.

æÞÏ ÐóßóÑó áåõ ÇÈäõ ÚõÞúÏÉ Ýí «ÑÌÇá ÃãíÑ ÇáãÄãäíä (Ú)» ÃÍÇÏíËó Úäåõ.

æÇáßÊÇÈõ ãæÖõæÚñ¡ áÇ ãöÑúíóÉó Ýíåö¡ æÚáì Ðáß ÚáÇãÇÊñ Ýíåö ÊóÏõáøõ Úáì ãÇ ÐßÑäÇåõ.

ãäåÇ: ãÇ ÐóßóÑó Ãóäøó ãõÍóãøóÏó Èäó ÃÈí ÈóßúÑò æóÚóÙó ÃÈÇåõ ÚäÏó ãóæúÊöåö.

æãäåÇ: Ãóäøó ÇáÃÆãøÉó ËáÇËÉó ÚóÔóÑ.

æÛíÑõ Ðáß.

æÃÓÇäíÏõ åÐÇ ÇáßÊÇÈö ÊÎÊáÝõ:

ÊÇÑÉð ÈöÑæÇíÉ ÚõãóÑ Èä ÃõÐóíúäÉ¡ Úä ÅÈúÑÇåíã Èä ÚõãóÑ ÇáÕóäúÚÇäíø¡ Úä ÃÈÇä Èä ÃÈí ÚíøÇÔ¡ Úä Óõáóíúã.

æÊÇÑÉð íõÑúæìþ Úä ÚõãóÑ¡ Úä ÃÈÇäò¡ ÈáÇ æÇÓöØÉò.

And regarding Aban b. Abi `Ayyash:

ÃÈÇäõ Èäõ ÃÈí ÚíøÇÔ¡ æÇÓãõ ÃÈí ÚíøÇÔ: ÝóíúÑõæÒ.

ÊÇÈÚíøñ¡ Ñæì Úä ÃäÓ Èä ãÇáß. æÑæì Úä Úáíø Èä ÇáÍõÓóíúä (Ú).

ÖóÚöíÝñ¡ áÇ íõáúÊóÝóÊõ Åáíå.

æóíóäÓöÈõ ÃÕÍÇÈõäÇ æóÖúÚó «ßÊÇÈ Óõáóíúã Èä ÞóíúÓò» Åáíå.

I'm not saying one way or another, I've not really studied the work myself. Do you know if the English translation is online anywhere?

Edited by macisaac

Salam U Alaykum,

I did not open it in the Shia-Sunni Dialouge, another moderator moved it there.

Macissac I am aware that there are some scholars that state that it may have been a forgery. However as I stated earlier there are some older scholars who said it was correct. Such as al-numaani and al majlisi. The reason some scholars say it may be a forgery is because they can not find mention of it for many years from the hadeeths. Howeever there are many scholars such as (majlisi) who find this following narration to be correct:

Imam sadiq said: Who ever doesnt have the book of Sulaim from among our shias and lovers, it is like he has nothing from us and has not learned from us any thing, and it is a secret of the house of muhammad (pbuh).

Majlisi states that this hadeeth is correct, and it is his basis for saying the book is sahih. Other than that there are some issues, with wether or not it is the original book, if things have been added to it or subtracted from it etc, it is for these reasons that Sayed khoie him self says teh contents are correct, but its difficult to atribute it to Sulaim him self.

As far as I have seen there is nothing in the book that goes against any Shia principles or against any shia historical accounts.

Is there a translated version available online? Only to purchse, from the al-khoie book store.

Edited by Al-Mufeed

Salam U Alaykum,

I did not open it in the Shia-Sunni Dialouge, another moderator moved it there.

Macissac I am aware that there are some scholars that state that it may have been a forgery. However as I stated earlier there are some older scholars who said it was correct. Such as al-numaani and al majlisi.

Majlisi would be relatively late, though Nu`mani would be early. Going by what ibn al-Ghadha'iri mentions though (and he's early) it seems it was fairly widespread amongst the Imamis (at least scholars) to consider it a forgery.

The reason some scholars say it may be a forgery is because they can not find mention of it for many years from the hadeeths. Howeever there are many scholars such as (majlisi) who find this following narration to be correct:

Imam sadiq said: Who ever doesnt have the book of Sulaim from among our shias and lovers, it is like he has nothing from us and has not learned from us any thing, and it is a secret of the house of muhammad (pbuh) .

Majlisi states that this hadeeth is correct, and it is his basis for saying the book is sahih. Other than that there are some issues, with wether or not it is the original book, if things have been added to it or subtracted from it etc, it is for these reasons that Sayed khoie him self says teh contents are correct, but its difficult to atribute it to Sulaim him self.

Question would be, where does that narration come from, and is it sahih itself? You have some narrations for example that highly praise various individuals, but those same individuals might be of folks who are also narrated to have been ghulat and accursed (i.e. the "praise" narrations might also be forgeries to give support to the status and narrations of the ghali narrator).

As far as I have seen there is nothing in the book that goes against any Shia principles or against any shia historical accounts.

Actually, the problems that ibn al-Ghadha'iri mentions are in both. One, he says the book says there would be thirteen Imams. Now, the copies today don't say that, correct? But that could simply mean that some later copyists thought to "correct" what they assumed was an earlier error. The other example of a problem he gives is that it recounts a story of Muhammad b. Abi Bakr (ra) exhorted his father on the latter's death bed. Problem there is that Muhammad b. Abi Bakr would have been a toddler at the time...

Edited by macisaac

I dont see how it goes against nahjul balagha as he clearly curses uthman several times. All he said was thar umar and abu bakr were worse, and he narrates one story where uthman was nice to him ONE time.

Brother Macissac,

Regaurding the hadeeth about 13 imams, i dont knwo too much about this and can not comment.

The other example of a problem he gives is that it recounts a story of Muhammad b. Abi Bakr (ra) exhorted his father on the latter's death bed. Problem there is that Muhammad b. Abi Bakr would have been a toddler at the time...

I have not come across any such hadeeth, however there is a hadeeth about Abdullah ibn Umar not Muhammad ibn Abi Baker, talking about some things that happend when his father was on his death bed.

I will inshaAllah post all the information I have about the authenticity or lack there of, of the book inshaAllah, from all the difffernt scholars I have come across.

• Advanced Member

Al-Khoie site says this:

Kitab-e- Sulaym Ibn Qays Al-Hilali

The greatness and esteemed value of this book can be gauged by the hadith of Imam Ja’far Al-Sadiq a.s that whoever does not possess this book does not have anything from The Ahlul Bayt AS. This is a book that has received endorsement from five Infallible Imams. This is the first book of the Shi’a containing knowledge of Traditions, History, Theology and Commentary. The author was born in Kufa and came to Madinah but was not able to see The Prophet SAWW. However, he was a trustworthy companion to Five A’immah AS. Many a renowned Sunni traditionalists have quoted ahadith from Sulaym and this is a sure endorsement of his authenticity. Sulaym’s book comprises 91 ahadith, which are illuminating, revealing and heart-rending for the oppression heaped upon Ahlul Bayt a.s after the demise of The Prophet SAWW cannot but move the reader. One of the Ahadith shows how Umar punished all his Governors who had betrayed trust and squandered public funds. Yet one Governor, Qunfuz, was rewarded despite his misdeed. When Sulaym asked Imam Ali a.s why this was so, he Imam a.s replied that Qunfuz was not held accountable because he had helped Umar whip Seyyida Fatimatu Zzahraa a.s when Umar came with a posse to attack and burn down the house of the only daughter of The Prophet s.a.w.a on the second day after The Prophet s.a.w.a’s demise. Sulaym researched and verified events before he penned them so that their authenticity is incontrovertible. Indeed, Sulaym’s sources are impeccable. Sulaym’s book was entrusted to only one person, Aban ibni abi Ayyash who was held to a solemn oath not to talk of the book during Sulaym’s lifetime and that after his death he would give the book only to trustworthy Shi’a of Ali ibni Abi Talib a.s. This explains why Imam Al-Sadiq a.s has said this book contains the secrets of ( The Progeny of the Holy Prophet s.a.w.a)Aale Muhammad a.s. The translator has illustrated the translation with original Arabic text and given an extensive index for easy reference and research. A must-have book.

======

From Wikipedia [yeah, I know not a reliable source nonetheless. .]:

The Book of Sulaym ibn Qays is a Hadith collections, collected by Sulaym ibn Qays who entrusted it to Aban ibn abi-Ayyash.

According to the Shi'a, the book "has received endorsement from five Infallible Imams." The author researched and verified events before he penned them so that their authenticity is incontrovertible. The book was entrusted to only one person, Aban ibni abi Ayyash who was held to a solemn oath not to talk of the book during Sulaym’s lifetime and that after his death he would give the book only to trustworthy Shi’a..."[1]

There is no doubt about the authenticity of the book itself among the shi'a scholars. The author is also regarded as a trustworthy narrator. The book has been mentioned both in the four main collections of Shi'a hadith. Ibn Al-Nadim the famous 10th Century (A.D.) book publisher has said that the book is among the well known books of the Shi'a.(Al-Fihrist, p.275 in chapter titled, "Al-Fan Al-Khamis Min Al-Maqalaht Al-Saadesah"). No'mani has mentioned the book and the author in his book, Al-Ghaibah. In fact, the book is so well known among the Shi'a that most books of hadith and rijal (commentary on the life and trustworthiness of the hadith narrators) have regarded both the book and its author with high regards.

Currently, numerous varient manuscripts of this book exist, and it has been suggested that content was added to it and altered in it over time.[2] Furthermore, the oldest known copy of which the majority of modern manuscripts are based was written in 1676 CE.[3] This is problematic as it may also suggest that the true appearance date for the current form of the book, if indeed it existed prior to the rise of the Safavid empire, was from around the 10th century A.D. as it was only at this point in time that mention of it became commonly attributed to Imams and scholars.

======

The Arabic for those who are interested.

======

Brother al-Mufeed, please do post your findings.

Bro

Nahjul Balagha makes uthman as the worst culprit from the 3. There are several more sermons dedicated to his misdemeanors than the preceding 2. Nor are there any sermons where Imam Ali has seen uthman in a mildly favourable light. His negative status is absolute. If thats not clear enough, I dont know what is.

Brother Macissac,

Regaurding the hadeeth about 13 imams, i dont knwo too much about this and can not comment.

Najashi mentions this as well, under the heading for Hibatullah b. Ahmad b. Muhammad:

[ 1185 ] åÈÉ Çááå Èä ÃÍãÏ Èä ãÍãÏ ÇáßÇÊÈ¡ ÃÈæ äÕÑ¡ ÇáãÚÑæÝ ÈÇÈä ÈÑäíÉ¡ ßÇä íÐßÑ Ãä Çãå Çã ßáËæã ÈäÊ ÃÈí ÌÚÝÑ ãÍãÏ Èä ÚËãÇä ÇáÚãÑí. ÓãÚ ÍÏíËÇ ßËíÑÇ¡ æßÇä íÊÚÇØì ÇáßáÇã¡ æíÍÖÑ ãÌáÓ ÃÈí ÇáÍÓíä Èä ÇáÔÈíå ÇáÚáæí ÇáÒíÏí ÇáãÐåÈ¡ ÝÚãá áå ßÊÇÈÇ¡ æÐßÑ Ãä ÇáÇÆãÉ ËáÇËÉ ÚÔÑ ãÚ ÒíÏ Èä Úáí Èä ÇáÍÓíä¡ æÇÍÊÌ ÈÍÏíË Ýí ßÊÇÈ Óáíã Èä ÞíÓ ÇáåáÇáí: Åä ÇáÇÆãÉ ÇËäÇ ÚÔÑ ãä æáÏ ÃãíÑ ÇáãÄãäíä Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã. áå ßÊÇÈ Ýí ÇáÇãÇãÉ¡ æßÊÇÈ Ýí ÃÎÈÇÑ ÃÈí ÚãÑæ æÃÈí ÌÚÝÑ ÇáÚãÑííä æ ÑÃíÊ ÃÈÇ ÇáÚÈÇÓ Èä äæÍ ÞÏ Úæá Úáíå Ýí ÇáÍßÇíÉ Ýí ßÊÇÈå ÃÎÈÇÑ ÇáæßáÇÁ. æßÇä åÐÇ ÇáÑÌá ßËíÑ ÇáÒíÇÑÇÊ¡ æÇÎÑ ÒíÇÑÉ ÍÖÑåÇ ãÚäÇ íæã ÇáÛÏíÑ ÓäÉ ÃÑÈÚ ãÇÆÉ ÈãÔåÏ ÃãíÑ ÇáãÄãäíä Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã

It says that he mentioned there to be thirteen Imams (twelve and Zayd b. `Ali being included to count thirteen) and that he used a hadith from the Kitab Sulaym b. Qays al-Hilal as evidence that said that the Imams are twelve from the sons of Amir al-Mu'mineen (as) (i.e. which would make thirteen in total counting Imam `Ali as the first).

Edited by macisaac