Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
I Believe

Question For Revert Sisters

Rate this topic

(salam)

Insha'Allah everyone is well.

Yesterday I was shopping at an Islamic Clothing store, and a Revert Sister came in. She had a hard time deciding what to buy, and what was Islamically accepted to wear. She spent around 4 hours shopping, and I tried to the best of my ability to help her. Eventually she bought a few items...

It made me wonder how much difficulty Revert Sisters have when it comes to wearing Hijab and finding Islamic Clothing. Also, how long does the transition period take? Was there/is there something you wish could have helped make it easier when you first started buying clothes for Hijab?

Lastly, did you use Online Sites to purchase clothing, or did you visit stores?

PS: Mods, Wasn't sure whether to put this topic here or in the Hijab clothing Sub-forum..

Wa alaikum as-salaam,

I would say that for myself, a recent revert, it isn't that hard finding clothing that suit hijab dress, however I am of the opinion that the clothing need not be traditional to be islamic or hijab. One can still dress very modestly and approprietly without the need to have typically non western clothing all the time.

Saying that though, I am not against per say an abaya or jilbab, I have even bought myslef a jilbab the otherday via internet, insha'Allah it will come soon, and look forward to wearing it, but perhaps not all the time.

As for hijab as in scarves, I have gotten very good help from the few sisters I know, for example one of whom is in Iraq a.t.m. and was kind enough to offer to get hijab scarves for me.

Online stores are good too, www.hijabnow.com have exellent service and fast delivery, but I am a woman so I of course enjoy to shop in reality, and I really wish I had some more sisters to go shopping with where I live, as they understand what I cannot buy etc. a bit more than non-muslim friends I have.

Of course I must admit that even though I feel sure that my clothing is correct hijab, I do have 'attacks' of feeling like I hope I am good enough and doing things well, as I would not want to put shame on Islam, my sisters, or my self because of the way I dress or act, and I worry about what other muslims thing. I think we reverts perhaps worry more about that, at least in the beginning, than someone who is raised a mulsim...!?

Hope that answers some of your queries, and I apologise for my somewhat waffly format of 'speech'.

Maa salaam/ Nabeeha

(salam)

It really depends on your body type. If you are short or thin, it is fairly easy to find clothing. If you are short and large, it can also be easy to find clothing (in the big sizes). But if you are large and "healthy", it is very difficult to find clothing that looks appropriate, is long enough, covers everything, etc.

Perhaps the lady was just indecisive... I usually take several hours to make a decision about buying something B)

I think the biggest improvement nowdays for those of us living in the West (revert or otherwise) is that you can buy so much stuff online... I remember when finding a simple square scarf was a challenge

Edited by BintAlHoda

Thanks for the replies Sisters BintAlHoda and Nabeeha.

Personally speaking, I haven't tried online hijab stores, I have this habit of having to see something in person and feel the fabric before I buy it.

I do shop at the 'Western' stores like JcPenny and Kohls around the Autumn months, you can find some really nice pieces that happen to be modest during the colder seasons.

wa alaaykum salaam

I think it is different for different people. But I think for vast majority, beginning to wear hijab is hard - both financially and psychologically. It takes a lot of guts, and it is not easy to create a new wardrobe over night - it takes time.

I've never lived where I could actually shop for Muslim clothes so I have always bought online. I don't like trying to find something that can be "made to work" from the regular stores - because it takes sooooo much time and effort to find something that is affordable and Islamically appropriate and fits properly without being too tight or too short or too thin, etc.

It was a big deal when I started to wear hijab, because I had nothing in my closet starting out, so I basically wore the same two or three things day in and day out. Now I have nothing to wear around the house, I only have hijab stuff because I don't even know how to buy regular clothes anymore, don't even know what size I would be and don't feel comfortable trying them on in the stores, etc.

(salam)

Insha'Allah everyone is well.

Yesterday I was shopping at an Islamic Clothing store, and a Revert Sister came in. She had a hard time deciding what to buy, and what was Islamically accepted to wear. She spent around 4 hours shopping, and I tried to the best of my ability to help her. Eventually she bought a few items...

It made me wonder how much difficulty Revert Sisters have when it comes to wearing Hijab and finding Islamic Clothing. Also, how long does the transition period take? Was there/is there something you wish could have helped make it easier when you first started buying clothes for Hijab?

Lastly, did you use Online Sites to purchase clothing, or did you visit stores?

PS: Mods, Wasn't sure whether to put this topic here or in the Hijab clothing Sub-forum..

^LOL, I'm beginning to get that lack of things to wear around the house too.

I do most of my shopping online or at thrift stores, though I have found some nice items at "regular" stores around here, including some beautiful scarves at Target recently.

I think the lady was just indecisive.

(salam)

It's only hard in the beginning when you don't have any idea what is appropriate and where to get it. I quickly discovered that mens long-sleeved dress shirts are loose enough and long enough if you buy the right size, and long skirts can always be found. I did have trouble finding a scarf though. I wore the same one for a while ( a kind Palestinian lady gave it to me). Now I get everything online. My wardrobe is still pretty scant, but plenty enough.

Edited by zmhs5

Salaam,

I've never really had a problem finding clothing suitable for hijab, especially as I enjoy making clothes myself too. It's also fun adapting clothes to hijab and you can be really creative. I do love the online clothing store 'shukr' as it is fashionable, hijab and good quality - but only buy a couple of items there each year as it is expensive, but I can check out the styles and maybe sew something similar myself.

To be honest the only problem I have had is sisters sometimes trying to push their cultural ideas of hijab on me (and other sisters). I believe that a hijab suitable for Scotland or UK isn't the same as one for in Iran or other Middle Eastern countries, but it can still be appropriate hijab. I mean I wear lots of colours here - greens, blues, purples, pinks etc. If I lived in the Middle East I'd probably stick to more earthy and subtle colours, not to stand out, but here in a way more colourful colours seem to help blend in more.

Although my wardrobe is mostly hijab - long skirts and loose tops I always have jeans and t-shirts for around the house - and rupush (long cotton coat) to throw over if any non-mahram turns up.

But I agree with a previous poster - 4 hours in a store - what a test of sabr. May Allah bless you for having so much patience to help this sister. I think the best advice for new reverts is that all they need is to cover what they are supposed to cover, but this can be appropriate for their own culture, they do not have to try to dress like other cultures - so long skirt or trousers with a long shirt, cotton duster/rupush is easy and fits in - doesn't have to be a jilbab, abaya or shalwar kameez for example.

Allah hafez

Fatimeh

wa alaaykum salaam

I think it is different for different people. But I think for vast majority, beginning to wear hijab is hard - both financially and psychologically. It takes a lot of guts, and it is not easy to create a new wardrobe over night - it takes time.

I've never lived where I could actually shop for Muslim clothes so I have always bought online. I don't like trying to find something that can be "made to work" from the regular stores - because it takes sooooo much time and effort to find something that is affordable and Islamically appropriate and fits properly without being too tight or too short or too thin, etc.

It was a big deal when I started to wear hijab, because I had nothing in my closet starting out, so I basically wore the same two or three things day in and day out. Now I have nothing to wear around the house, I only have hijab stuff because I don't even know how to buy regular clothes anymore, don't even know what size I would be and don't feel comfortable trying them on in the stores, etc.

Salaam

Yeah what she said.LOL. I just can't get the hang of all the measurements when dealing with online sites and since I live in the deep south it's hard to find suitable alternatives.

wa salaam

When I became muslim I started with long skirts and sweaters,then I started using jelabia(jilbab),then pants and long sweaters or tunika and now I am back with my jelabias again. Look like long dresses with long sleeves.Bought them cheap in Cairo. 7 dollar each hehe :D . Maybe they are abayas, i don't know, but my husband say it's jelabia...They are comfortable to wear.my husband prefer I use that instead of pants,but he says I can wear pants under the jelabia.Actually he wants me to start using the niqab as well hehe. Here in Norway it is the somalis who sell jelabias/abayas.But they are expencive since they buy from Dubai and have to pay tax on them.Now I have many bought in Cairo so i don't need new clothes hehe.Will buy more next year inshallah when I go.

it is really expensice. when i came to islam i only had t-shirts, short skirts, etc. I had only one long skirt and a few long sleeve tops. I lived in San Diego, so we did not need much in the way of winter clothes. Also, i just had a baby so my body shape was different that before so I already did not have much. A few people were so kind to donate to me a couple of abaya, and then I bought a couple more from a friend's store... it was easier to throw abaya over regular clothes than to buy all new clothes. So, ever since then I have stuck to abaya. I am able to find scarves anywhere since they seem to be in style now, and I buy abaya online. Other than that, i just wear regular clothes under the abaya and around the house for my husband. But it was REALLY hard when I first converted. REALLY hard.

Asalamu sisters,

I am new here and in process of converting to Shia Islam. I find myself in the same situation when I want to get some clothes for so called transition time and confused what to get and how to wear it . I don't think I have so much strenght enough to put abaya on to start with, although have one in my closet!!! . Therefore looking for long tunics and loose trousers. I am also gathering scarfs which i decided I will wear from day one after converting. Can anyone enlighten me please about shoes issue. Is it really necessary to wear closed shoes in summer or sandals are ok???

Thank you,

Marzena

Salam alaykum,

Well, I converted 2 years ago, in May, just as summer was beginning. I told myself jokingly that I picked the worst time to do it because the midwest is hot - it was a true challenge to my faith right out of the gate! But... as the Quran says, "a hasiba annasu, an yutraku an yaqulu amanna wa hum la yuftanun" - Do people think they will be left alone after saying "we believe" and not be tested? Surah 29:2. But, Alluhu alim, God's timing is best.

I wanted to wear hijab immediately, but was too afraid to do that since I still had another year to finish my graduate program and was at the school full time - the same school my brother went to. I definitely didn't want him or any of his friends seeing me like that, so I painfully waited til the fall when I moved to another city to start my internship. Then I was worried that I might not get the internship if I showed up in hijab, along with other reasons. Anyway, after about a month, I couldn't take it anymore and just put it on. I didn't plan it or anything. I was having trouble getting my hair straightened and looking right, so I just suddenly found myself putting it on. I was sooo happy leaving the house that day, and no one even commented at my internship (I just wrapped it around the back of my head like a bun though, so for a long time people just thought it was just for fashion purposes).

It took me forever to learn how to wear it though since I don't know any female muslims. I just watched some youtube videos and just do my best...