Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
slowly707

Say It Isn't So.

Rate this topic

I recently became a big sushi fan but was unaware that some people say crab meat is not halal...it was the first time I ever had crab meat...what is the ruling on this (preferably A. Fadlallah)....

Aren't crabs almost like lobsters? :unsure: Sorry couldn't find crabs but here's for lobsters from Syed Fadhulah:

Q-Some said that in your opinion, eating lobster is Halal (lawful) , is that right?

A- It is prohibited as an obligatory precaution to eat every fish which has no scales. Whereas, it is permissible to eat every fish having scales.

I believe it's haram. I'm a big fan of sushi too but you can always eat the tuna/salmon sushi.. it's not like all sushi made of crab/surimi.

yeah but I love the california roll!!!

Crab and lobsters are haram according to the main marja'a. Man it surprises every time I see topics like this, not making fun of you brother, but basic rulings like these and so many of us don't know them :unsure:

well l wouldn't really say this is a basic ruling as there are some marja that say we should not eat them as a precautionary measure because they are not 100% sure but thanks for the info I will not eat it again.

well l wouldn't really say this is a basic ruling as there are some marja that say we should not eat them as a precautionary measure because they are not 100% sure but thanks for the info I will not eat it again.

I don't know...I knew this from when I was kid. I guess everyone learns things at different times in their lives bro. Anyway, to help you out a little more, I'll try to find a good explanation on the ayah in Qur'an as to why only scaled fish and shrimp are halal.

Most of the Sunni schools of fiqh allow most of the sea food. The Shi`a school, on the other hand, allows only the scale-fish, prawns and shrimps.

Many people like to quote verse no. 5:99 about sea food. It says:"Allowed for you is the GAME OF THE SEA AND ITS FOOD, as a provision for you

and for the travellers." They conclude that based on this verse all sea food should be allowed.

First of all, you have to look at the context of the verse. It was revealed as part of the rules explaining the restrictions on a person who is in ihram

(the pilgrim's garment) during the pilgrimage. The whole passages reads as follows:

"O you who believe! Do not kill the game while you are in the pilgrim garb. And whosoever among you kills it intentionally, then the compensation of it is that the like of what he killed from the cattle as adjudged by two just men from among you. [This compensation is] an offering to be brought to the Ka`ba, or the expiation of it is the feeding of the poor or the equivalent of it in fasting so that he may taste the heinousness of his deed. God has pardoned what is gone by; and whoever returns to it, then God will exact penalty from him, and God is Mighty, Lord of Retribution."

After this prohibition about killing the game, the next verse says:

"ALLOWED for you is the GAME OF THE SEA AND ITS FOOD, as a provision for you and for the travellers; and FORBIDDEN for you is the GAME OF THE LAND so long as you are in the pilgrim garb; and fear God unto whom you shall be gathered."

What this verse is saying is that "the game of the sea and its food" is allowed to the pilgrims even when they are in the state of ihram; whereas the "game of the land" is haram as long as they are in the state of ihram.

This verse is not defining what is the permissible "food" from the game of sea. It is just saying that whatever was allowed (in case of sea food) is also allowed in ihram, and that whatever was allowed (in case of the game of land) is not permissible in ihram.

If the verse is saying that all kinds of the "game of sea and its food" is permissible, then what would one say about the next sentence---Would all kind of land animals be allowed after the pilgrim is out of ihram?! No one takes the expression in the second sentence "the game of the land" as a blanket approval for all land animals. Similarly, no one should take the expression in the first sentence "the game of sea and its food" as a blanket approval for all sea animals.

Moreover, the words "the game of sea and ITS FOOD" show that not every "game/catch of sea" is food; otherwise, there was no need to add the words "and its food" in this sentence. It would mean that you are allowed to catch many things from the sea but only "its food" is permissible for you to eat.

3. Halal Sea Food

So how do we find out what is the permissible "food" from the sea?

The second source of the shari`ah, i.e., the sunnah of the Prophet and the Imams, has clarified for us the sea food which is halal for us. It says that the scale-fish, prawns and shrimps are allowed; and everything else is haram. (This is not the place to prove that the sunnah of the Imams of Ahlul Bayt is an extension of the sunnah of the Prophet. Those who like to read on this can refer to my "AN INTRODUCTION TO THE ISLAMIC SHARI`AH".)

Shaykh Hurr al-`Amili, for example, quotes ahadith which indicate that Imam `Ali (a.s.) used to go around the fish market of Kufa and announce that "do

not eat or sell the fish that does not have scales". (Wasailu 'sh-Shi`ah, vol. 16, 329-330) Other statements from the fifth and sixth Shi`a Imams clearly forbid the eating of a fish which does not have scales.

(Ibid) On the issue of shrimps and prawns, there are quite a few ahadith in Wasa'ilu 'sh-Shi`a, vol. 16 pp. 337 to 339. For example, Imam Musa al-Kazim (a.s.) was asked about eating shrimps, he said: "There is no problem in it; and shrimp is a kind of fish." Similar ahadith have been narrated from Imam Riza

(a.s.) also.

In short, the sea food that is allowed to us is as follows:

1. scale fish;

2. shrimp and prawns.

Any non-fish sea animal and any fish which has no scales is not allowed. So crab, shell-fish and other animals are haram in the Ja`fari fiqh. (The case of lobster is still undecided because of ambiguity in its classification: is it a shrimp just bigger in size, or is it a different kind of sea animal? Therefore, it is better to refrain from lobster until the issue is settled.)

It might be of interest to note that the Shi`as are not unique or alone on the ruling about scale fish and skin fish. Even the dietery laws in the present version of Torah (Old Testament) says the same about non-scale fish. It says: "Whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have no fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that moves in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you...ye shall not eat of their flesh..." (Lev. 11:9-12)

I don't know every ruling of every marja, but all the ones I know say crab/lobster/squid/octopus/shark/oysters/mussels/catfish/any other fish without scales, etc., is not permitted. But fish with scales is, and some or most allow shrimp.

ok sounds good.....from now on Ill stick with the spicy tuna roll!!! May Allah forgive me for my ignorance in eating the crab...I sincerely did not realize it was haram.

I dun like seafood .. it stinks!

noooooooooooooo...guys trust me I don't like seafood either but there is something about sushi that is soooo good....first time i tried it i didn't like it but i tried it again and loved it...its one of my new fav foods....people who like vinegar will like this stuff....i used to drink vinegar so i am inclined to it.....its healthy too if you dont eat it every day.

noooooooooooooo...guys trust me I don't like seafood either but there is something about sushi that is soooo good....first time i tried it i didn't like it but i tried it again and loved it...its one of my new fav foods....people who like vinegar will like this stuff....i used to drink vinegar so i am inclined to it.....its healthy too if you dont eat it every day.

I never ate Sushi thou.. im scared to try it.. :unsure:

I believe it's haram. I'm a big fan of sushi too but you can always eat the tuna/salmon sushi..

Yeah, you can do that...unless you're at a sushi restaurant and you know the knife used to cut your tuna/salmon or the roll was used for non-halal things (which are common in sushi restaurants) and then not rinsed under running water. If that's the case, the najasat has transferred onto the tuna/salmon rolls and you can no longer have that either. :(

Crab and lobster are not exactly 'fish', although they are marine lifeforms.

Crabs, Lobsters can be freshwater, terrestrial too.

Yeah, you can do that...unless you're at a sushi restaurant and you know the knife used to cut your tuna/salmon or the roll was used for non-halal things (which are common in sushi restaurants) and then not rinsed under running water. If that's the case, the najasat has transferred onto the tuna/salmon rolls and you can no longer have that either. :(

Fatwa?

(salam)

^Are non-halal sea-bugs najis, or just not halal to eat?

Good point.

http://al-islam.org/laws/najisthings.html#89 says:

"89. The dead body of a human being is najis. Similarly the dead body of any animal whose blood gushes forth with force is najis, irrespective of whether it dies a natural death, or is killed in a manner other than that prescribed by Islam. As the blood of a fish does not gush forth, its dead body is Pak, even if it dies in water."

I don't know whether that applies to just fish with scales or to all seafood that doesn't gush blood. Haram/halal vs. najis/pak make a difference when you're just handling food (i.e., you don't have to do wudhu if you touch a haraam but pak fish), but when it comes to eating them I don't see why there would be a difference between haraam and najis.

Fatwa?

A few years ago I asked Ayatullah Khamenei's office about a similar situation for sandwiches:

Q:

I live in [a Western country], where the majority of restaurants serve food with meat

and other ingredients that are not halal. At some restaurants, the same cooking

utensils are used for the meat and for vegetable-only foods. For example,

they will slice a tomato for a sandwich with the same knife previously used to

slice a sandwich with pork...the only "cleaning" they do in between is to

quickly wipe the knife with a wet towel...or sometimes they dip the knife

in a small container of water.

So, is it permissible to eat food a sandwich that has been sliced with a knife

previously used to slice foods that are not halal?

A:

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.

The answer is as follows:

Bismihi Ta`ala

As long as one could not know for sure that it has come in contact with najis (impure) things along with transmitting moisture, it would not be ruled as najis.

With prayers for your success,

wassalam.

So based on that answer, if you do know that the knife was in contact with najasat then even a veggie sandwich sliced by the same knife would not be halal.

I figure the same applies to sushi.

Edited by Salaam1

Of fish I only like sardinas and another fish which I don't know the English name.And tuna a little.But I don't like sushi at all.

Edited by ummleyla