Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

First-ever English Tafsir Of Quran

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Note: please forward this note to all your friends

Salamun Alaikum,

The Ascendant Quran is an amazing Tafsir that can awaken the Muslim Ummah from its 'ghaflat', it is a tafsir that applies equally to both shias and sunnis, please check out the site http://www.theascendantquran.com where you can download the audio of Surah Al-Fatihah, provide feedback to the author, find Tafsir related events and order the audio and printed form of the tafsir from around the world. Please help in spreading the message of this wonderful work to everyone

I wanted to start this conversation to discuss the Tafsir

Best regards,

Mohammad

Guest fatima2003

how can we discuss it when we cannot read it without purchaseing it.... I would nto even consider purchasing it without knowing the commmentary on key shi3a ayat such as 33.33 among others.,........

• Advanced Member

thank you for the link, finally there is a web site, and an on-line place to buy the tafsir --- I've heard very good things about this tafsir, inshallah, will order the book, and begin reading, and then contribute to this thread.

• Advanced Member
I personally like tafseer al-mizan and the one on al-islam.org by Ayatullah Aga Mirza Mehdi Pooya.

by Allameh Tabataba'i [QS] :rolleyes: ..

I have no idea where you pulled Pooya out from, because he is not even the translator (Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi [QS] is)..

I think you have it confused with another tafseer..

• Advanced Member

The tafsir 'The Ascendant Quran' is by Imam al-Asi. The author is not a sunni. You can call him tafdhili shi'a. His Friday sermons are available here : http://www.geocities.com/khutbahs/

Audios of his sermons @ http://www.islamiccenterdc.com

w/s

Edited by Jondab_Azdi
You can call him tafdhili shi'a.

You're either a Shi`a, or let's say Imami, or you're not. A number of the Mu`tazila believed that Imam `Ali (as) was the superior over the first three, but that in itself didn't make them into Shi`as... Does he believe in the twelve holy Imams (as), do bara'at from their enemies, follow the fiqh they taught, and await the re-appearance of our living Imam (as)? (I don't the answer to this, does he?)

Guest fatima2003

I do not believe I would liek his tafseer in this case... he is not a qualified to do this..... nor does he even hold the same believes as we which would in turn give a false tafseer ........

• Advanced Member
You're either a Shi`a, or let's say Imami, or you're not. A number of the Mu`tazila believed that Imam `Ali (as) was the superior over the first three, but that in itself didn't make them into Shi`as

^Is this your opinion or are there any hadiths of Imams(a) about it?

From what I have read, tafdhilis use to call themselves 'shia'.

w/s

• Advanced Member

^tafdhilis, those who preferred Ali(a) over other companions.

A group of shi'as of 1st century:

"Surely Ali was the most deserving of men after the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), due to his virtues and his pioneering (roles in Islam) and his knowledge. He was the best of all men after the prophet (peace be upon him) the bravest, the most generous, the most ascetic of them. But they legalized despite that, the leadership of Abu Bakr and Umar and considered them, as qualified for that honorable position. They mentioned that Ali submitted the affairs to them, accepted that and voluntarily gave his oath of allegiance to them, without being coerced into that, he left his right to them, so we also accept what the Muslims have accepted of him, and whom he gave his allegiance to. Anything other than this is not permissible for us, and nothing will suffice anyone of us other than this. So the leadership of Abu Bakr has becomes right and acceptance because of Ali's acceptance of it."

Nukhbati: Firaq al-Shiah

w/s

Edited by Jondab_Azdi

"Surely Ali was the most deserving of men after the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), due to his virtues and his pioneering (roles in Islam) and his knowledge. He was the best of all men after the prophet (peace be upon him) the bravest, the most generous, the most ascetic of them. But they legalized despite that, the leadership of Abu Bakr and Umar and considered them, as qualified for that honorable position. They mentioned that Ali submitted the affairs to them, accepted that and voluntarily gave his oath of allegiance to them, without being coerced into that, he left his right to them, so we also accept what the Muslims have accepted of him, and whom he gave his allegiance to. Anything other than this is not permissible for us, and nothing will suffice anyone of us other than this. So the leadership of Abu Bakr has becomes right and acceptance because of Ali's acceptance of it."

w/s

This is not a Shia as per the definition of the ulama, but of course God judges based on intention.

• Advanced Member

So the leadership of Abu Bakr has becomes right and acceptance because of Ali's acceptance of it."

Miqdad, Salman, Abuzar did not certainly believe that Abu Bakr was right. And they were Shi'is.

• Advanced Member
This is not a Shia as per the definition of the ulama, but of course God judges based on intention.

Al-Asi is not a Shi'a - he is, however, a very Shi'a friendly Muslim who was influenced by, amongst others, Imam Khomeini. al-Asi is often invited to speak at Shi'a masajid and conferences here in the US. He is on the speakers list for Muslim Congress

http://www.muslimcongress.org/contentmc/co...rence-2008.aspx

and also you can listen to Mohammed Al Asi speak on Islamic history, Imam Khomeini and Zionist Muslims at the the Islamic Center of MOMIN (a Shi'a Islamic center) in Dallas TX, at the annual program held in remembrance of Imam Khomeini:

http://almusawwir.org/2007/12/29/learning-from-history/

The importance of this Tafsir is that it is written in English. Of-course the other Tafsir mentioned would be more appealing to Shi'a Muslims, given that those are based on the words and hadith of our Imams --- but for the English speaking population, those are often inaccessible. Because - they are either not translated, or if they are, the english translation are done so horribly that it is difficult to understand what has been said in the tafsir.

The Tafsir of Allama Tabatabai, apparently has a better translation, but no word on when that is going to be released.

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Its not the first English Tafseer, because Agha Mirza Mahdi Pooya's tafseer came out much earlier. Allamah Tabatabai's Al-Mizan has been translated by Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi (may Allah elevate the status of both) but only 11 volumes have been published.

Al-Asi is simply one of those "please everyone" Muslims.

Edited by Socrates
  • Veteran Member

Its not the first English Tafseer, because Agha Mirza Mahdi Pooya's tafseer came out much earlier. Allamah Tabatabai's Al-Mizan has been translated by Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi (may Allah elevate the status of both) but only 11 volumes have been published.

I think Ayatullah Pooya only wrote a small portion of the tafseer, its mainly done by Mir Ahmed Ali.

• Advanced Member

Al-Asi's translation is written directly in English, not a translation --- Allama Tabatabai's English translation is terrible, and frankly unreadable for most native English speakers - with all due respect to Saeed Akthar Rizvi, who I'm sure was well intentioned, and put a lot of effort in the translation - But for Al-Mizan (in English) to be of much use to English speakers, especially native English speakers, it needs to be translated again.

Your comment on Al-Asi is nonsense, but I'm not interested in having a discussion with you, so I'll leave it that :squeez:

• Advanced Member

Al-Asi's translation is written directly in English, not a translation --- Allama Tabatabai's English translation is terrible, and frankly unreadable for most native English speakers - with all due respect to Saeed Akthar Rizvi, who I'm sure was well intentioned, and put a lot of effort in the translation - But for Al-Mizan (in English) to be of much use to English speakers, especially native English speakers, it needs to be translated again.

I don't know which translation you read, but the one I've been reading is excellent. Not at the level a native would be at sure enough, but good enough to be considered a reference imho. In fact , most of Rizvi's translations (as well as his writings) in English are pretty good.

Part of it is here: http://www.shiasource.com/al-mizan/

Mark my words when Al-Asi does a "Tahirul Qadri".

Edited by Socrates
  • Advanced Member

Have a look at the book; only in some places does it quote Ayatullah Pooya.

Ah yes I just checked. I stand corrected. The foreword says Agha Pooya looked over the tafseer and then added his comments in certain places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

w/s

(bismillah)

السلام عليكم

What you try and push is sad. These are not Shi`a like the Imaamiyya are Shi`a. Whoever believes in the above, how can they be Imaami? How can any Shi`i of Ahlul'bayt (عليهم السلام) say al-Imam `Ali (عليه السلام) considered their rule right and accepted their leadership? La Hawla wa la Quwatta illa Billah.

We have narrations that show that the recognition of Abu Bakr and `Umar is of Shaytaan.

محمد بن يحيى، عن أحمد بن محمد، عن الحسن بن محبوب، عن هشام بن سالم، عن زرارة قال: قلت لابي جعفر عليه السلام: أخبرني عن معرفة الامام منكم واجبة على جميع الخلق؟ فقال: إن الله عزوجل بعث محمدا صلى الله عليه وآله إلى الناس أجمعين رسولا و حجة لله على جميع خلقه في أرضه، فمن آمن بالله وبمحمد رسول الله واتبعه وصدقه فإن معرفة الامام منا واجبة عليه ومن لم يؤمن بالله وبرسوله ولم يتبعه ولم يصدقه ويعرف حقهما فكيف يجب عليه معرفة الامام وهو لا يؤمن بالله ورسوله ويعرف حقهما؟ ! قال: قلت: فما تقول فيمن يؤمن بالله ورسوله ويصدق رسوله في جميع ما أنزل الله، يجب على اولئك حق معرفتكم؟ قال: نعم أليس هؤلاء يعرفون فلانا وفلانا قلت: بلى، قال: أترى أن الله هو الذي أوقع في قلوبهم معرفة هؤلاء؟ والله ما أوقع ذلك في قلوبهم إلا الشيطان، لا والله ما ألهم المؤمنين حقنا إلا اله عزوجل.

Muhammad b. Yahya, from Ahmad b. Muhammad, from al-Hasan b. Mahbub, from Hishaam b. Saalim, from Zuraara, who said: “I said to Abu Ja`far (عليه السلام): “Inform me about whether the recognition of the Imam from you is obligatory upon all of the creation?” He said: “Verily, Allah, the Mighty and Majestic, sent Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله) to all the people as a Messenger and Hujjat (proof) of Allah upon all of His creation in His world. Then who believes in Allah and in Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah, and obeys him and accepts him, then the recognition of the Imam from us is obligatory upon him. And who does not believe in Allah and his Messenger and does not obey him and does not accept him, and does not recognize their (Allah and the Messenger) right, then how is recognition of the Imam obligatory upon him while he does not believe in Allah and the Messenger and does not recognize their right?”” Zuraara said: “I said: “Then what do you say about whom believes in Allah and His Messenger and accepts His Messenger in all what Allah revealed - is the right of your recognition obligation upon these [people]?” He said: “Yes. Do these not recognize Fulaan and Fulaan (Abu Bakr and `Umar)?” I said: “Yes [they do].” He said: “Do you see that Allah is whom established in their hearts the recognition of these? I swear by Allah, none established that in their hearts except Shaytaan. I swear by Allah, none inspired the Mu’mineen (believers) with our right except Allah, the Mighty and Majestic.””

(Al-Kafi 1/180-181, Chapter on the Recognition of the Imam and the Reply to Him, Hadith 3)

Al-`Allamat ul-Majlisi (قدس سره) said: Sahih.

(Miraat ul-`Uqool 2/302)

Edited by mansab.jafri
  • 3 years later...