Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Wudhu Question

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

(salam) @)

I was hoping if someone can please clarify soem doubts I have about wudhu.

1) When washing the face I pour water into my right hand and start washing from the top of my forehead all the way down to my chin, using my thumb up until my middle finger, once I've done that i use the same wet hand without pouring more water into my hand, just to go over my face again. I am having doubts because when I am washing my face I only wash it in one direction i.e from my forhead down to my chin and parts of my face mainly the sides remain dry, I recently came accross a video of how to do wudhu on youtube, the shia way to do wudhu, and the man when washing the face seems to be washing all around his face especially the sides of his face more then once .Is this correct. If it is correct the man in the video seems to be using is whole hand when washing his face I was taught that you should use your fingers from the thumb until the middle finger.

"]

2) Also when making wudhu if you accidently get water on your arms before actually washing from your elbows downwards does your wudhu still count because i seem to get water everywhere when making wudhu.

Thanks. (salam)

Edited by TRAINED SOLDIER
  • Advanced Member
(salam) @)

I was hoping if someone can please clarify soem doubts I have about wudhu.

1) When washing the face I pour water into my right hand and start washing from the top of my forehead all the way down to my chin, using my thumb up until my middle finger, once I've done that i use the same wet hand without pouring more water into my hand, just to go over my face again. I am having doubts because when I am washing my face I only wash it in one direction i.e from my forhead down to my chin and parts of my face mainly the sides remain dry, I recently came accross a video of how to do wudhu on youtube, the shia way to do wudhu, and the man when washing the face seems to be washing all around his face especially the sides of his face more then once .Is this correct. If it is correct the man in the video seems to be using is whole hand when washing his face I was taught that you should use your fingers from the thumb until the middle finger.

2) Also when making wudhu if you accidently get water on your arms before actually washing from your elbows downwards does your wudhu still count because i seem to get water everywhere when making wudhu.

Thanks. (salam)

Assalaamualaykum,

This is how you make wudhoo (please anyone feel free to correct) :

I am just describing wajibaat;

1) turn on tap and get water in right hand and pour onto the face starting from the forehead. Repeat as many times you need to so that you have enough water and then turn off tap. Then start the wipes. Spread the hands and starting at the top hair line drag hands down to chin. (use the whole hand). Then wipe the sides to insure you covered them fully but start at the top of heailine again. Then you can go over any parts missed such as eye sockets, sides of nose etc...but start from the highest part of the face . For example, wipe the eye sockets before the sides of the nose, cos the eyes are higher.

2) Turn on tap and get water from left hand and pour onto the right arm (4 cm or so above elbow). repeat as many times as you need and turn off the tap. Start the wipe in similar fasion to face. end with doing the fingers indiviually if you feel the main washes have not covered any areas.

3) repeat for left arm.

4) Then do masah of the head from the crown to about 3 cm away from the hair line (the water from masah of head should not mix with the water of the face). I use the palm area just where my fingers start.

5) Now its time to do masah of feet. Before starting wudhoo, make sure your feet are dry. Then after if the feet get a few drops, use areas that are dry. I have seen some people wipe the the feet on their trousers just before making masah of feet but i dont know about rules of this to advise you. Minimum is coverage equivalent of one toe and so chose a toe which area is dry from starting of toe until ankle (or rise of foot) and make a masah here using one finger.

I asked about the drops of water that accur during the making of wudhoo and this is fine as long as the water is not as much as when you make the actual washing of that area. So the odd drop splashing from a tap and drops falling from your face onto ur arm is allowed according to my interpretation of this. Plus, isnt this always gonna happen cos its water and ofcourse you cannot control action of every water molecule coming from the tap.

Remember Allah (SWT)is Rahman and Raheem. And aslong as you are doing your best, this is all you are expected to do

Salaam

• Advanced Member
so when you do the masah..is it done from the top of the head down to your forehead, or is it preformed from the forehead working upwards?

and also, is the masah done with 3 fingers or just your middle finger?

Assalaamualaykum,

You start from the top of the head and work down but stop a few cm before the hair line since the water from the face and masah of head cannot mix.

Masah is recommended to be of three fingers width. The palm should be used. If you consider the palm as fingers, then i dont see why not (check this) but i use the area of the flat of the palm just before the fingers start.

Salaam

• Basic Members

In the name of Allah (SWT), the beneficent, the merciful.

Assalamu `alaykum wa rahmatullaah brothers and sisters.

Wudu by itself is always a recommendable act in Islamic rituals, but it becomes obligatory in certain circumstances. One of such circumstances is the daily ritual prayers; and therefore it is important for every Muslim to know the method of wudu and its rules.

The Qur'an says: O you who believe! When you stand up for ritual prayer (salat), wash your face and your hands up to the elbows, and wipe a part of your head and your feet up to ankles. (5:6)

Before starting the wudu, make sure that the front part of your head and the top side of your feet are dry; otherwise your wudu will not correct because the water on your head or feet is `new' water. However, slight wetness or dampness can do no harm to your wudu unless it is so much that the wetness of palms, while wiping the head or feet, is immediately mixed with it.

METHOD OF PERFORMING WUDU:

The Niyyat: (Intention)

Niyyat means intention. As wudu is an act of ritual worship (`ibadat), it is necessary to perform it with niyyat. Niyyat, in this context, means that one must have the intention to do the wudu in obedience to the command of Allah. Sincerity is an essential condition for niyyat; one should do wudu only for seeking the pleasure of Allah and in obedience to His command. If someone performs wudu for any other purpose, e.g., making him¬self cool in summer, then his wudu is invalid.

The following niyyat can be declared as follows:

“I perform the wudu in order to cleanse myself from impurity and to make myself eligible for salat, wajib qurbatan ilallah”

Note that it is not necessary to utter the words; the mere intention of doing the wudu, declared within the mind in obedience to the command of Allah is enough.

Wudu is composed of the following four obligatory stages:

1.)Washing the face:

After declaring the niyyat [intention], pour water using the right hand over the face from the top. Wipe the face from the top to bottom, in such a way that the water reaches all parts vertically from the hair¬line to chin, and every place horizontally within the reach of the span of the hand from the middle-finger to the thumb.

Washing once as described above is wajib. Washing twice is mustahab. Any subsequent washings are haram.

2.)Washing the fore-arms:

Using the left hand pour water over the right fore-arm from the elbow to the finger-tips; and wipe the water over the arm to ensure that all the necessary parts are washed. Then do the same with the left fore-arm, using the right hand. The washing must be done from the elbows down to the finger-tips and not vice versa.

The right fore-arm should be washed before the left.

Washing once as described above is wajib. Washing twice is mustahab. Any subsequent washings are haram.

3.)Wiping of the head:

This act MUST be performed with the moisture that remains within the right hand. The hand must NOT be re-wet under the water again.

Wiping of the head means to wipe a wet finger of the right hand from the crown of the head to the hair-line. The act of wiping can be done with one finger only, but it is recommended to use three fingers together. The water must reach the root of the hair. While wiping the head, your hand should not touch your fore-head; otherwise, the water of the fore-head will mix with the wetness of your hand, and this will render the act of wiping the right foot invalid. Why? Because the act of wiping must be done with the wetness of the hands only.

4.)Wiping of the feet:

Again using the moisture of the hands, wipe the right foot with the right hand, and then the left foot with the left hand. In wiping the feet, place the palm or the fingers of the hand on the finger-tips of the foot and then wipe to the base of the ankle.

RECOMMENDABLE ACTS OF WUDU:

What you read above was concerning the obligatory (wajib) acts of wudu. Now we shall describe the acts which are recommendable (mustahab, sunnat) during the wudu.

1.) Washing the hands two times before washing the face

2.) Gargling three times before washing the face

3.) Rinsing the nose three times before washing the face

4.) It is recommended for men to start washing their fore-arms from the apparent side of the arms, and for the women to start washing their fore-arms from the inner side of the arms.

5.) While washing the face and the fore-arms, it is recommended to wash each part twice before proceeding to the next stage of the wudu. One should realize that washing these organs of wudu once is obligatory, while washing them twice is recommendable; but to wash them for the third time is forbidden (haram)

A SUMMARY OF WUDU:

The following is a summary of the wudu. The wajib acts, are in bold – non italic. The mustahab acts are non-bold – italic:

1. Declare the intention (niyyat)

2. Washing the hands two times

3. Gargling three times

4. Rinsing the nose three times.

5. Washing the face first time and then the second time.

6. Washing the right fore-arm the first time and then the second time.

7. Washing the left fore-arm the first time and then the second time.

8. Wiping the head with one finger or with three fingers together.

9. Wiping the right foot with the right hand.

10. Wiping the left foot with the left hand.

And i_like_myself:

In response to your question, I have never come across a shortened method of performing wudu, however Tayammum, can be performed in the following 7 circumstances (as opposed to wudu):

1. When enough water cannot be obtained for wudu' or ghusl.

If there still is ample time for performing salat, then one should wait and pray when he reaches a place where water is available.

2. When water is available but difficult to reach.

It does not make any difference whether this difficulty is physical or otherwise. Therefore, if reaching for water involves danger of life, reputation or property, then one should do Tayammum. For example: owing to old-age or illness it is difficult to reach to the water, or in going for water a person is endangered by animals or thieves; or the owner demands outrageous price for water, etc.

3. When use of water for wudu' or ghusl is dangerous to one's health or life.

For example: one who fears that using water might make him sick or prolong his illness, then he should do Tayammum.

4. When water is available but one is afraid that by using that water he will put himself, his companions or his domesticated animals in danger of thirst.

5. When the time of salat is so short that if one starts to do wudu' or ghusl his prayers will be qada whereas by performing Tayammum he will be able to say his prayers in time. In such a case one should do Tayammum.

6. When the body or the only available cloth of a person is najis; and he finds that if he uses the water for wudu' or ghusl, his body or cloth will remain najis. In such a case he should first purify his body or his cloth with the available water and then do Tayammum.

7. When the use of water depends on those things which have been forbidden by the shari`ah. For example the water has been obtained without the permission of the owner, or it is in an unlawful (ghasbi) utensil or the utensil is made of gold or silver in which one cannot do wudu' or ghusl. In all such cases, one should do Tayammum.

My answers are based on a book called ritual and spirtual purity by Syed Mohamed Rizvi. Please consult this book, for further information, as I fear that my memory may have failed me, in explaining everything I have read in this book.

I hope I have been of assistance. Please do not accept my words as final, and do consult a scholar, or a person of more knowledge for further information.

Wa Salaam.

Your Brother in Islam.

Edited by Syed_ Rizvi