Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Adnan77

How Did The Prophet (saw) And Ali (as) Enforce Hijab?

Rate this topic

(salam)

During the time of our Holy Prophet (pbuh) and the Caliphate of Ali (as), what happened to women that chose not to wear hijab? Is it a criminal offence under sharia? If so, how was it enforced?

Are there any hadiths of non-covered women approaching the Prophet (pbuh) or Ali (as) - how did they interact?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Ws,

Adnan

It likely wasn't enforced to such a level. Like some other laws, alcohol comes to mind, it was probably gradually put in place. Strict enforcement may not have started until quite a few years after, if even that. What I can say for certainty the laws were relaxed quite a bit during the Golden age under the Abbasids.

I too would be interested if anyone has information on law and punishment during those times.

women dressed modestly , and although i am not aware of any particular cases ...surely they were flogged if they didnt

Salaam

this is a sweeping assumption to make based on what?

The OP is an interesting one and I would be really curious to know of any sources that indicate what REALLY happened at that time.

Allah hafez

Fatimeh

...................... What I can say for certain the laws were relaxed quite a bit during the Golden age under the Abbasids.

Whoops typo. Will change once I can figure out how to edit it.

“Asma bint Abu Bakr, entered upon the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) wearing thin clothes. The Apostle of Allah turned his attention from her. He said: O Asma’, when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of body except this and this, and he pointed to her face and hands”

^I know that's a Sunni hadith, and I don't know how authentic it is, but the Prophet didn't flog her here and kindly addressed her (as was his custom always).

I asked this same question on aimislam.com and was fortunate enough to have it answered by the scholar, Sayyed Nabil Al-Haidari, whose reply was:

In His Name the Most High

Salaamu Alaikum Warahmat Allah Wabarakatuh

Thank you for your questions. Please refer to the answers below.

During the era of the Holy Prophet [saw] women were not forced to wear Hijab. We also have narrations of an incident where a woman came to the Holy Prophet without Hijab. In this incident, some of the companions began looking at this woman with lust and the Holy Prophet ordered them to stop looking at her.

The Holy Quran says:

Þõá áøöáúãõÄúãöäöíäó íóÛõÖøõæÇ ãöäú ÃóÈúÕóÇÑöåöãú æóíóÍúÝóÙõæÇ ÝõÑõæÌóåõãú Ðóáößó ÃóÒúßóì áóåõãú Åöäøó Çááøóåó ÎóÈöíÑñ ÈöãóÇ íóÕúäóÚõæäó

Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah is Aware of what they do.

Surat Al-Noor Ayah 30

According to the Jurists of Shariah, it is not considered a criminal offense in the same manner as robbery for example, however, it is prohibited for women not to abide by the conditions of Hijab and prayer should be performed with such Hijab.

Hijab is necessary for many reasons including primarily the pleasure of Allah [swt], the safety of the society in general and for personal purification and piety.

The conditions of Hijab for women are three:

1. It must cover the entire body except face and hands.

2. It must obscure the shape and figure of the woman.

3. It must not be transparent such that the body can be seen underneath the material.

Wafaqakum Allah [swt] - May Allah bring you success.

Wasalaamu Alaikum Warahmat Allah.

Sayyed Nabil Al-Haidari

Which then begs the question, why do so many Islamic countries prescribe such harsh punishments for women that aren't adequately covered?