Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is It Haraam To Vote In A Non-muslim Country?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
Someone told me it is haraam. Is this true? What do our Marjas say about it?

thanks

I am surprise to know that statement. Casting vote...... what is relations with Halal and Haram.....

There is no restractions for VOTE in any country......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam

This is a fatwa from Syed Fadlullah I asked about whether it was allowed to vote in the west for unislamic parties (most of them are) and the answer was it is not allowed and the fatwa goes even further to say that the concept is haraam i.e. in an unislamic system it wouldn't be permissable anyway read the fatwa and make your own mind up. the fatwas in Arabic if you want then email your Marjae and post the reply.

post-25178-1208324757_thumb.png

thankfully as a citizen of a democracy I don't need some mullah's permission to decide whether or not I should have a say in the political atmosphere that affects my daily life.

Hast thou not seen those unto whom a portion of the Scripture hath been given, how they believe in idols and the Taaghoot, and how they say of those (idolaters) who disbelieve: "These are more rightly guided than those who believe"? 4:51

Hast thou not seen those who pretend that they believe in that which is revealed unto thee and that which was revealed before thee, how they would go for judgment (in their disputes) to the Taaghoot when they have been ordered to abjure them? Satan would mislead them far astray. 4:60

As for S. Fadlullah's ruling why didn't you translate the istithnaa (exception)?

illaa fee Surat maa law kaana lilmuslimeen masaalih laa tatahaqqaq illaa bil intikhaab.

"except in a situation where muslims would get some benefits which would not be fulfilled except by voting."

So it seems to me that it is ok pretty much. We vote not because we endorse the system but because we can not get the things

muslims need in our country except by voicing ourselves and casting a vote.

Does that seem incorrect? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think Fadlullah has a good point. For example how would you feel if you voted for a party that proclaimed war on Iran, for example?

Maybe they wouldn't have come to power if Muslims didn't vote for them. Do you see my point?

Some say Bush wouldn't have come to power in the 1st term if Muslims didn't vote for him. Ouch!

On the last day for example how would you feel if you had to shoulder some of the responsiblity of the suffering of others because you voted for a party that hurt other muslims?

If you had a good answer on the last day like, Yes my Lord I voted for them because we needed to get some rights for Muslims established and not voting was not an option in order to get those rights fulfilled, then that should be quite acceptable. Do you see my point?

Whether we like it or not, we are not mujtahids. The Shari'ah has a say in all A'maal.

The Marja's are trying to save our necks from the fire. lol.

The least we can do is say thank you.

And incline not toward those who do wrong lest the Fire touch you, and ye have no protecting friends against Allah, and afterward ye would not be helped. 11:113

Edited by studentoftheMahdi

^^^So let's say a party wants to invade Iran and another one is against it. What should I do? Not vote at all, or vote for the other party in order to stop the party wishing to invade Iran from coming to power. hmmm. I don't know about you, but if I found out that such an invasion happened, because I didn't use my democratic right to stop it because some mullah said so, then I would definitely feel like I have betrayed Allah swt.

All I am saying is that I am not going to stop participating in the political process because some guys who know a Hell lot about islam, but know jack about how the western political process works, are telling me not to. To call voting in the West haram is beyond absurd.

Edited by koroigetsuga
  • Advanced Member

You have on other threads not only backe dand supported the system infact you are a advocater for it and also a cheerleader. Don't try to justify your actions by using hypothetical scenarios you hae been following the sytem whole heartedly something as the brother cleared up is the aspect which is not allowed. If someone in a non muslim country wants to vote for personal benifits for his community that is ok as stated but for you to actually beleive and take part in the system is Haraam. Bring some evidence instead of coming to conclusions please bring Quranic verses which you think justify Democracy and Democratic rule (i.e the right to legislate for people by the people).

To call voting in the West haram is beyond absurd.

Are you Allah S.W.T or do you have any evidence which states otherwise - No so you should follow the correct Islamic opinion instead of being proud and not able to accept truth when it is presented to you.

Edited by UndercoverBrother
  • Basic Members
Bring some evidence instead of coming to conclusions please bring Quranic verses which you think justify Democracy and Democratic rule (i.e the right to legislate for people by the people).

It appears from your statements that you have misinterpreted the arguments put forth

allow me to clarify this for you

if the system of 'western democracy' is in play, as it is in Canada and the USA, then the citizens have every right to participate.

participation, however, is not equivalent to accepting the system as being superior to an Islamic political system.

of course, Islam does not approve of the western-democratic system, which has its obvious flaws and injustices

but to say that Islam forbids the participation in such a system would be to speak something untrue

no person in this thread has defended western-democracy, but rather only defended participation when it is already in play

Salaam

This is a fatwa from Syed Fadlullah I asked about whether it was allowed to vote in the west for unislamic parties (most of them are) and the answer was it is not allowed and the fatwa goes even further to say that the concept is haraam i.e. in an unislamic system it wouldn't be permissable anyway read the fatwa and make your own mind up. the fatwas in Arabic if you want then email your Marjae and post the reply.

you asked them whether or not it is permissible to vote for "anti islamic parties". of COURSE it is haram to vote for anti islamic parties.

it is better to ask in general "is it permisslbe to vote in non islamic countries"