Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Iman

Mussallah's In Sydney Cbd?

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Howdy strangers.. inshallah all is well with everyone. Just had a quick question.. does anyone know of any Mussallah's in the Sydney CBD region? Someone I know prayed in one recently but there have since been signs put up basically saying that Shia's are not allowed. Islamically if you are on private property (which this is) and you do not have permission, then prayer becomes haram (not sure which marja` but was informed of this just yesterday - I think it's Sayyed Sistani).

Soooo anyone know of any Shia-friendly mussallah's? Any website we can look at to find a directory of where they are? If there isn't there should be.. anyone thinking of putting one together?? I'm sure not all Sunni's have this wahabified mentality.

But heck there may even be a Shia mussallah but we aren't aware. Does anyone know of any..? Preferably around Martin Place.

JazakumAllahu khairan in advance

Edited by Iman

salamz

maybe you know of these but what about,

Sydney City (York Street) Musalla

32 York Street Sydney NSW 2001 (down stairs, under the Golf Mart... in the rear of the convenience store) Access available for 5 prayers and Jummah

32 York Street

Sydney 2001

and there is also 1 in town hall.

Town Hall Mussalah

Jummaah Prayer 12:15

167B Castlereagh Street, Town Hall

Sydney

If you dont mind, could you please find out what those signs say? im very interested to know.

ws

salamz

maybe you know of these but what about,

Sydney City (York Street) Musalla

32 York Street Sydney NSW 2001 (down stairs, under the Golf Mart... in the rear of the convenience store) Access available for 5 prayers and Jummah

32 York Street

Sydney 2001

and there is also 1 in town hall.

Town Hall Mussalah

Jummaah Prayer 12:15

167B Castlereagh Street, Town Hall

Sydney

If you dont mind, could you please find out what those signs say? im very interested to know.

ws

They are also for females only (wish they had a sign for that, was quite awkward).

Here is another near the CBD:

Sydney University Musallah

Open between 7am and 7pm. Juma'a at 1.15. In Old Teachers' College, Level 3. Rm 320.

Main Campus

Sydney University 2006

Mobile: 0424547754

Web: http://www.sumsa.org.au

Email: sumsa@sumsa.org.au

Unless I am missing something but arn't you a girl?

Loool, oops, my mistake, they are for MALES only...hence why it was quite awkward.

P.S Salaam old buddy old pal...long time :)

Edited by RayRay

Sallams,

Sister Iman - your question has triggered a response!

Currently we are doing an analysis of whether it will be feasible to have a Ahlul-Bayt friendly prayer room. We would like to find out how many shi'a work in the CBD and whether we can make the prayer room self funded by the participants.

Please inform those you know (brothers & sisters) who would wish to participate to email their details [name/email address/mob number(optional)] to sydneyprayroom@gmail.com and we will inform all of our anlaysis.

So far in just 2 hours I have seen 2 dozen names who are willing and I know there are many more out there...

Take care and in good health

Edited by OzZiE

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Woohoo!! That's very exciting - JazakAllah khair bro Ozzie. Many a Shia will be very greatful if a mussallah could be organised.. even just a general Shia friendly one.

Will forward to friends and family inshallah. I'm sure you'll be inundated.

Masha'Allah good on you for taking such initiative - a great place to start.

LOL i thought the topic was called MULLAH'S in sydney. i was so excited , i came rushing in and thought there was an event happening lol...

oh well better luck next time.....

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Howdy strangers.. inshallah all is well with everyone. Just had a quick question.. does anyone know of any Mussallah's in the Sydney CBD region? Someone I know prayed in one recently but there have since been signs put up basically saying that Shia's are not allowed. Islamically if you are on private property (which this is) and you do not have permission, then prayer becomes haram (not sure which marja` but was informed of this just yesterday - I think it's Sayyed Sistani).

Soooo anyone know of any Shia-friendly mussallah's? Any website we can look at to find a directory of where they are? If there isn't there should be.. anyone thinking of putting one together?? I'm sure not all Sunni's have this wahabified mentality.

But heck there may even be a Shia mussallah but we aren't aware. Does anyone know of any..? Preferably around Martin Place.

JazakumAllahu khairan in advance

Man...to be honest, I sometimes even offer prayers on the train.....:D Don't ask how I do it or with whose permission but I do it.....

Now that you know my level of flexibility, you can see that not finding a musallah shouldn't be a big deal, or atleast its not for me. hehe

By the way, we have a room dedicated to prayers at work. No sunni muslim has any trouble with shias. If they ever happen to have issues, I will only kick their buts :D

(salam)

I received the following E-mail, and thought others would like to pass it on to family and friends:

Salamun Alaikum

Brothers & Sisters,

We have had a request from a group of brothers who work in the Sydney CBD for some assistance in analysing a project they are conducting. As winter draws near we have shorter hours and less time to conduct daily prayers amongst busy city schedules. In recent weeks they have been instances where the followers of Ahlul-Bayt have not been permitted to pray in certain prayer rooms in the city hence making this obligation more difficult. It has become apparent that there is a genuine need for such a prayer hall in the CBD which is supervised by the followers of Ahlul-Bayt (a.s.) but available to all Muslims for prayer. This would initially be a small rented area which would accommodate salat for brothers and sisters working in the CBD.

The brothers would like to ascertain whether there is enough interest to possibly have a prayer room somewhere located between Town Hall and Wynyard railway stations.

They are essentially conducting a feasibility study of

a ) Do the numbers make it feasible to undertake such a project, and

b ) will a prayer hall be self sufficient relying on the contributions of its participants. If you do wish to participate in such a project please send an email with your details to sydneyprayroom@gmail.com. Once the analysis is complete the brothers will then be able to release their findings to the rest of the community.

Salamun Alaikum

Brothers & Sisters,

We have had a request from a group of brothers who work in the Sydney CBD for some assistance in analysing a project they are conducting. As winter draws near we have shorter hours and less time to conduct daily prayers amongst busy city schedules. In recent weeks they have been instances where the followers of Ahlul-Bayt have not been permitted to pray in certain prayer rooms in the city hence making this obligation more difficult. It has become apparent that there is a genuine need for such a prayer hall in the CBD which is supervised by the followers of Ahlul-Bayt (a.s.) but available to all Muslims for prayer. This would initially be a small rented area which would accommodate salat for brothers and sisters working in the CBD.

The brothers would like to ascertain whether there is enough interest to possibly have a prayer room somewhere located between Town Hall and Wynyard railway stations.

They are essentially conducting a feasibility study of

a ) Do the numbers make it feasible to undertake such a project, and

b ) will a prayer hall be self sufficient relying on the contributions of its participants. If you do wish to participate in such a project please send an email with your details to sydneyprayroom@gmail.com. Once the analysis is complete the brothers will then be able to release their findings to the rest of the community.

As far as I am aware, this issue was pretty much resolved. The musalaahs in the city not allowing shias have apparantly changed their stance and have taken off their sign boards against shias.

Salams

Sallams,

I believe the sign has been put down but we will continue to gauge whether there are a sufficient numbers to warrant for a Shia musala.

Kheir Insh'Allah

W'sallam

I dont get it, are you guys serius about a masjid or masjids that are stating sunnis only? was it a one off thing or is it a recurring thing with other masjids?

Does everyone agree that this is a form of discrimination...? hence isnt legal ? someones got to make it clear that were not in Wahhabistan were in Australia and discrimination isnt tolerated

Making our own masjid only makes it worse... because itll make a clear cut difference, were all muslims at the end of the day

A little more info on the masjids that are or have displayed sign would be good, and if it is true what inspired them to remove it?

Its disgusting that this has happened if indeed it did happen

salam

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Breathe..! It did happen. I understand what you're saying re segregating but the suggestion wasnt a shia 'specific' mussallah but a Shia 'friendly' one ie. it would essentially be run by Shia's but allow all schools of thought through its door.

Does everyone agree that this is a form of discrimination...? hence isnt legal ? someones got to make it clear that were not in Wahhabistan were in Australia and discrimination isnt tolerated

Unless it's private property.. they have the right to have whomever they want on their grounds - cant do much more about that.

I'm glad the publicity this generated has caused the owners to reconsider their stance on the issue.

Bro Ozzie, I think its still worthwhile to see whether or not a shia ('friendly' to all schools) mussallah is viable.

JazakAllah khair for taking the initiative either way.

Sallams

Spot on Sister Iman, as the email that has been circulated indicates, all schools of thought will be welcome however it will be supervised by the followers of Ahlul-Bayt (as).

Althogh we haven’t concluded our analysis however I do feel positive about it.

Kheir Insh'Allah

Making a so called shia freindly mussalla isnt exactly a solution, thats more like running away, which is something we definitly shouldnt do ...

In regards to it being private property it would catastrophic if signs went up everywhere saying *wahhabies only*, or *hanafies only* reminds me of the apartheid so I doubt many people in the public would find it amusing to see such signs going up everywhere.

The fact remains is that we should adapt...doesnt mean we kick open our own mussalla although it sounds like an awsome idea but with all of us being in different parts of the city at any given time itll be hard to find a place to accomdate all of us distance wise... in regards to viability it would be viable although hard to do, but yeah Im just not amused to have extremists setting up signs everywhere, this could have been a one off incident but same time it could happen again :(

Any feedback from our sunni brothers and sisters on this ?

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Making a so called shia freindly mussalla isnt exactly a solution, thats more like running away, which is something we definitly shouldnt do ..

Not really - there's a problem in the fact that this particular mussallah is experiencing over-crowding during prayer time as you could imagine. Its the main mussallah in the city and is practically bursting at the seams. There needs to be another one to logistically make things more comfortable (if possible) and having the next prayer hall/mussallah big enough is exactly what is needed.. and being wise and making it accessible to ALL is exactly what our beautiful deen and Imam's(as) would have intended.

Inshallah we can do a bit of da`wah to the Muslim community in the process and also show this other mussallah how Allah (swt) said things should be done.

Edited by Iman

salam

Can anyone who works in the CBD confirm whether it is safe for shias to pray in the Musallah on York street? Do any members of shiachat work in the city or Pray in any of these musallahs? Brother Ozzie is there any chance of us having our own musallah in the CBD or has the idea been given up on?

ws

salam

Can anyone who works in the CBD confirm whether it is safe for shias to pray in the Musallah on York street? Do any members of shiachat work in the city or Pray in any of these musallahs? Brother Ozzie is there any chance of us having our own musallah in the CBD or has the idea been given up on?

ws

Salaams,

I am aware of brothers still praying at the York St musallah - actually one of the brothers (shia) is allowed to give the friday kutba from time to time, but obviously isn't allowed to lead the salat ;)

As for the idea having our own musallah, a bit ashamed to say this, but the idea has sort of died. I have actually moved into a new building and they have given us a prayer room.

Which end of town are you guys at? Happy to investigate to find out where the nearest ones will be...

Fi'aman'Allah

Salaams,

I am aware of brothers still praying at the York St musallah - actually one of the brothers (shia) is allowed to give the friday kutba from time to time, but obviously isn't allowed to lead the salat ;)

As for the idea having our own musallah, a bit ashamed to say this, but the idea has sort of died. I have actually moved into a new building and they have given us a prayer room.

Which end of town are you guys at? Happy to investigate to find out where the nearest ones will be...

Fi'aman'Allah

wa alaykum salam brother thank you so much for the information, thats good news.

On the York street side, so i guess its the closest, any other ones around that side of town that are friendly musallahs? lol

thanks brother