Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

10 Habits That Cause Brain Damage!

got this email :o**shocked**

1. No Breakfast

People who do not take breakfast are going to have a lower blood sugar

level. This leads to an insufficient supply of nutrients to the brain

causing brain degeneration.

2. Overeating

It causes hardening of the brain arteries, leading to a decrease in mental power.

3. Smoking

It causes multiple brain shrinkage and may lead to Alzheimer disease.

4. High Sugar consumption

Too much sugar will interrupt the absorption of proteins and nutrients causing malnutrition and may interfere with brain development.

5. Air Pollution

The brain is the largest oxygen consumer in our body. Inhaling polluted air decreases the supply of oxygen to the brain, bringing about a decrease in brain efficiency.

6. Lack of Sleep

Sleep allows our brain to rest. Long term deprivation from sleep will accelerate the death of brain cells.

7. Head covered while sleeping

Sleeping with the head covered, increases the concentration of carbon dioxide and decrease concentration of oxygen that may lead to brain damaging effects.

8. Taxing your brain during illness.

Working hard or studying with sickness may lead to a decrease in effectiveness of the brain as well as damage the brain.

9. Lacking in stimulating thoughts

Thinking is the best way to train our brain, lacking in brain stimulation thoughts may cause brain shrinkage.

10. Talking Rarely

Intellectual conversations will promote the efficiency of the brain.

I do most of these things . :Hijabi: OMG! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Edited by fauziaseyyed

• Advanced Member
1. No Breakfast

I do have breakfast but generally not a heavy one,as is recommended.Maybe a glass of milk or juice. :(

6. Lack of Sleep

Sleep allows our brain to rest. Long term deprivation from sleep will accelerate the death of brain cells.

OMG my brain cells! :squeez:

Edited by Umme_Abeeha

Salam,

I too disagree with "6" and "10", because lack of sleep in our religion is encouraged, (to perform Salat-Ul-Layl) and there are various a'Hadiths which claim that this is the best way to sustain Health, Long life, one's Akhlaq...

Of course if one deprives himself of sleep, let's say two days in a row and so on, needless to say that it is not good for health, thus the brain...

Also, i disagree with "10", because lack of talk is also encouraged by the representatives of Allah (s.w.t.). This allows wisdom into the "heart"...Of course interaction is a must when it comes to the stimulation of the brain, and our religion is based on interaction with others...but one mustn't talk about unimportant things...(you get my point I guess).

Salam. yeah let us know why u disagree..

salaams

I am sorry, I know you were angling for humour and I came across as non compliant but it is a serious subject.....

The smoking related diseases in alcohol and pork consuming societies is much higher than the Muslim world. This is why you never get statistics that cover the religion demographic. If you can get me stats on any Western country that deconstructs the demographics of their patients be religion then you know Muslims would be at the lowest end of those stats. It compels me to believe that smoking is not a cause of health problems per se but more likely to be a catlyst for the diseases if aided by otherb weak lifestyle choices.

Allah categorically forbids anything harmful for you so that nothing is left to the imagination and smoking aint one of them(discretionary interpretation) but Alcohol and Pork are (categorical mandate).

Please read this

Excerpts:

In particular, researchers say people should stop eating processed meats, such as ham, bacon and salami, and limit the consumption of red meat to 500g a week - although this still means you could eat, for instance, five hamburgers each week. From a cancer perspective, all alcohol should be avoided, although researchers accepted drinking small amounts could have protective benefits for other diseases.

I am also surprised that I didnt see drugs/substance abuse as part of the list. I have seen MRI images of brains of drug users. Their brains look like the substances have been eating them slowly by slowly as though their brain was a jumbo shrimp.

salaams

yeah this means we need to sleep early ..meaning after isha.. which is impossible nowadayz ..

. to get the best. sleep early like good babies...

i heard lack of sleep can cause death ...true???

Thanks for sharing that :)

Salam knight

No , i want to know what is true and what is not. cuz i don;t know much :'(!

• Advanced Member
2. Overeating

It causes hardening of the brain arteries, leading to a decrease in mental power.

What is interresting about this, is that Amir al Mu'minin (as) said: áÇ ÊÌÊãÚ ÇáÝÊäÉ æÇáÈÊäÉ which means "The sharpness of mind does not fit together with excessive eating". How slow Western science is, huh :)

6. Lack of Sleep

It depends on the reason for your lack of sleep, if it is due to worship, then undoubtedly it is not bad (rather, it is good) - but if it is for something vain, then it is bad. Imam Khomeini (qas) slept roughly 3 hours, yet he was one of the wisest men of our age.

10. Talking Rarely

Shaykh Tusi (qas) narrates from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) that he said:

Do not overindulge in speech that concern other than the remembrance of God, for overindulgence in speech about other than the remembrance of God results in the hardness of the heart (qasaawat al-qalb), and the most remote one from Allah among the people is one who has the hardness of the heart.

- Al Amali, tradition 1.

yeah this means we need to sleep early ..meaning after isha.. which is impossible nowadayz ..

. to get the best. sleep early like good babies...

i heard lack of sleep can cause death ...true???

Thanks for sharing that :)

From a logical point of view, if we were to say that the hours in which we do not sleep, we spend in seeking nearness to Allah (swt), how can they be bad for our health?

Edited by DonQ

• Advanced Member
I disagree with # 3.

Infact I disagree with any "smoking" related studies that demonises smokers over alcohol consumers. Its just typical goray folk fudging some bitter truths.

Source:http://medicolegal.tripod.com/preventbraindamage.htm

"The brain requires an unobstructed blood flow and operates on electrical impulses and chemicals, e.g., serotonin, dopamine, endorphins, etc. They are involved in regulating mood, reasoning, ethical controls, and all brain functions. The brain's message transfer process involves individual brain cells, neurons, passing messages from one neuron to the next. Neurons communicate with each other by using such chemicals to transfer messages, cross the synapses, between neurons.

Tobacco's massive quantities of toxic chemicals have an impairing effect on this message transfer process. Tobacco alters, impairs, damages, brain function and structure.

Naturally the foreseeable result is that brain functions (e.g., mood, reasoning, ethical controls, the self-defense function, arithmetic abilities, verbal skills, thought and sentence formulation, etc.) are impaired, paralyzed, damaged, altered, destroyed. Tobacco is, in short, what may be deemed a "mind-altering drug," a "narcotic."

Tobacco causes brain damage. The role of tobacco in damaging brain function and structure is ancient medical knowledge, long known."

If i'm not mistaken, there is tobacco present in cigarettes/cigars/shisha etc...

Just thought i'd share this with you all.

• Advanced Member

Salaams

If there is anyone here who knows how to improve brain power, based on the teachings of the Ahlul Bayt (A.S) and the Holy Quran, please share them with us. Unfortunately i do not have the resources at the moment, but once i get a chance, i will find some. In the meantime if anyone has them present, please do share them with us.

Salaams and Duas

• Advanced Member

^For sharp memory read:

Surah Alam Nashrah 17 times and blow on chest.

Surah Alaa everytime.

Ayatul Kursi everytime.

Though I dont have source for this. This was told by our local moulana and I have been practicing it. As fas as I have experienced it works. :)

just to supplement my point on diet and brain health, what we eat and drink has value with both body and brain. A couple of reports to illustrate the point....

Recent research is suggesting that what you eat can influence the function of your brain. Scientists are providing hints that what you choose to consume or avoid in your daily diet can have consequences on the brain's resiliency in the face of injury or disease.

Link

Certain foods contain precursors (starting materials) for some neurotransmitters. If a diet is deficient in certain precursors, the brain will not be able to produce some neurotransmitters. Neurological and mental disorders may occur when the balance of neurotransmitters is upset.

Link

16:114 - So eat of the sustenance which God has provided for you, lawful and good; and be grateful for the favours of God, if it is He Whom ye serve

salaams

Salaams

If there is anyone here who knows how to improve brain power, based on the teachings of the Ahlul Bayt (A.S) and the Holy Quran, please share them with us. Unfortunately i do not have the resources at the moment, but once i get a chance, i will find some. In the meantime if anyone has them present, please do share them with us.

Salaams and Duas

Salaams

Yes the most influential aya in the Quran involving neurology are the right hand and left hand verses. The right hand is wired to the left brain hemisphere and left hand is wired to the right brain. Obviously in this equation, Allah would favour left brain hemispheric processing.

Just to illustrate the differences between 2 and how it involves Shi'ism.

Left Brain Characteristsics aka Ashaab of the Right Hand

Rational:

1 - Responds to verbal instructions

2 - Problem solves by logically and sequentially looking at the parts of things

3 - Looks at differences

4 - Is planned and structured

5 - Prefers established, certain information

6 - Prefers talking and writing

7 - Prefers multiple choice tests

8 - Controls feelings

9 - Prefers ranked authority structures

Sequential:

1 - Is a splitter: distinction important

2 - Is logical, sees cause and effect

Right Brain Characteristics aka Ashaab of Left Hand

Intuitive

1 - Responds to demonstrated instructions

2 - Problem solves with hunches, looking for patterns and configurations

3 - Looks at similarities

4 - Is fluid and spontaneous

5 - Prefers elusive, uncertain information

6 - Prefers drawing and manipulating objects

7 - Prefers open ended questions

8 - Free with feelings

9 - Prefers collegial authority structures

Simultaneous

1 - Is a lumper: connectedness important

2 - Is analogic, sees correspondences, resemblances

Link

How this relates to Shi'ism is the following

First - Allah has used Sura 37 - As Saffat meaning "the ranks" to illustrate what the left brain will recognise i.e. Ranked authorities. Whereas Sunnis will prefer collegial authorities (elected) which is a characteristic of the right brain. None of the ranked officials mentioned in Sura 37 are elected and all them are certainly related.

second - In relation to Imamate.

17:71- One day We shall call together all human beings with their (respective) Imams: those who are given their record in their right hand will read it (with pleasure), and they will not be dealt with unjustly in the least.

This ayat has the value of a believer who choose the right imam over imposter imams and it is essential to use left brain characteristics to choose the right imam.

I can also use Nahjul Balagha to show Imam Ali's left brain characteristics if any one is interested. But Inshallah in the meantime this information will suffice.

salaams

Guest Anam Zehra Haider

(bismillah)

-----

(salam)

Where is Dr Asad? He needs to post in here. :D

Oh my God, I'm so lost I'm about to have a BRAIN DAMAGE!!! For a very long time since I was 17, I haven't had what you would call a GOOD NIGHT SLEEP - and eating? Eh, life has trained me to eat minimally or else my body throws the food out - I sustain well with taking in ONLY minimal food...

Talking rarely? With kids in the house and a hubby who likes to chit chat, I find that talking less makes you feel more rested...however yes, one should indulge in stimulative READING and occasionally, Islamic or stimulative (scientific debates that agree with Islamic rulings) in order to rejuvinate the health of brain cells.

AND NOTHING BEATS THE IMPORTANCE OF PHYSICAL EXERCISE ... it gets rid of all kinda toxins in the body!

Lack of sleep and proper nutrition can in the long run cause health problems - but PROPER NUTRITION does not mean an OVERSTUFFED PLATE or 3rd to 4th servings of food.

One should eat enough to kill hunger and then drink a glass of milk - so to avoid the urge to eat more then necessary. And milk, we all know how beneficial that is for the health!

(bismillah)

-----

(salam)

Where is Dr Asad? He needs to post in here. :D

Here I am :)

1. No Breakfast

Agreed

2. Overeating

Hmmm, I need to look into it, nevertheless not all food will cause the said symptoms. But overeating is not liked by our prophet (SAW) and Imams (as)......

3. Smoking

Oh man, this is just one deadly outcome from a pool of many more!

Too much sugar will interrupt the absorption of proteins and nutrients causing malnutrition and may interfere with brain development.

Well, too much sugar needed to be defined? I recall I have read some where that people who eat sweet are more beautiful and I love sweets :blush: :P

I would say that consuming lot of sugar will defin itely cause obesity and complecations associated with it!

5. Air Pollution

The brain is the largest oxygen consumer in our body. Inhaling polluted air decreases the supply of oxygen to the brain, bringing about a decrease in brain efficiency.

Make sence......

6. Lack of Sleep

For sure, you gotta have peaceful and deep sleep!

Sleeping with the head covered, increases the concentration of carbon dioxide and decrease concentration of oxygen that may lead to brain damaging effects.

True..........!

Working hard or studying with sickness may lead to a decrease in effectiveness of the brain as well as damage the brain.

Some what agreed... There are reports claiming this may not be true in a lareg sample!

Thinking is the best way to train our brain, lacking in brain stimulation thoughts may cause brain shrinkage.

I love this one and how true.......

10. Talking Rarely

Hmmmmm, talk, but talk well no BS :P

• Advanced Member
Woah, weird... if i skip breakfast though, my stomach will growl until i eat something :blush: very embarrassing!!

LOL

that happened to me today in my Religious Studies class..

sooo embarrassinggg

i sit right at the front of the class as well, and i swear the teach was laughing at me :Hijabi:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm surprised not to see things on that list like chronic cellphone use; burning fossil fuels and living next to plants/stations that do; breathing in car exhaust (and contributing by not tuning one's car regularly giving off plumes of smoke from your car's tailpipe); excessive and prolonged amphetamine/pseudoephedrine usage (check your friendly over-the-counter nasal decongestant or your prescription psychotropic if you dare); and drinking large amounts of water that is inevitably tainted with nuclear - and other brain damaging - waste.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
got this email :o**shocked**

1. No Breakfast

2. Overeating

3. Smoking

5. Air Pollution

6. Lack of Sleep

10. Talking Rarely

I do most of these things . :Hijabi: OMG! :cry: :cry: :cry:

add

11. wife

doesnt need any explaination

its not the habit but the most dangerous thing for your brain

Edited by Angel of Death