Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

________"you Fit The Stereotype Of A Terrorist"________

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Those who live in the West (US, Canada, Europe, Australia/NZ),

Have you ever been called a terrorist? At the airport, school, work place, by the police, at the hospitals, or other areas?

or faced the special procedures or rude behaviors against you, where they give you the feelings, that because you are a Muslim and suspicious, we are doing this to you? Discriminated for being a Muslim?

From what I seen in the media, (news, documentaries, youtube, people who live and said things, and governments behaviors towards its citizens and residents), UK is the only country in the West where Muslims have more rights, free to express their ideas, and not discriminated much or being under pressure in their daily lives just for being "Muslim"!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High School Student Threatens to Sue School District Over Teacher's 'Terrorist' Remark

CHICAGO — An Illinois high school senior is threatening to file a discrimination lawsuit against his school district after he says a teacher told him he fit the stereotype of a terrorist and humiliated him in front of his peers.

Maysam Amanishourbariki, 17, who was born in the United States and is of Iranian heritage, claims his Italian language teacher told him last semester that he fit the stereotype of a terrorist during an exchange in class over his clothing, said Tamara Holder, his attorney. Two other students also called him a terrorist, which was reported to school officials.

"Everyone started to laugh," Amanishourbariki told the Waukegan News-Sun. "I just sat there. I was confused. I didn't know what to do. I was angry and upset."

Amanishourbariki, who goes by "Amani," will graduate this June from Highland Park High School. He has three older brothers who attended the same school.

The teacher, who apologized to Amani, urged him to pull down his hoodie and take off his hat that he wore to school after a new haircut.

"Right after she said it, one of the students — a freshman — got up and gave her a high five," Amani told the Waukegan News-Sun. "I was like, 'Is this kid serious?' They treated it like a joke, but it's not a joke."

Holder said the normally outgoing student, who plays volleyball at the school, has changed since the incident. "Maysam has become withdrawn, he's nervous," she said. "He's not sure who his friends are."

The boy's parents are upset by the ordeal and are worried about their son, Holder said.

"It's extraordinarily traumatic with the whole family," she said. "The mother and father are just so visibly upset."

"This school is allowing this behavior to occur, not only within the student body but within the administration," Holder said. "We are ignoring a child's pleas to stop being harassed."

Carol Votsmier, a spokeswoman for Township High School District 113, said the district is unaware that any suit has been filed.

“We are a district that prides ourselves on our diversity and our tolerance,” Votsmier said. “This is very concerning to us.”

Votsmier said she could not comment on personnel matters, but the teacher remains on staff.

Holder plans to meet with school officials next week in an attempt to avoid taking the case to court. If the family does file a lawsuit, it will seek unspecified damages and cite Amanishourbariki as a victim of discrimination and defamation.

FoxNews

• Advanced Member

I'm in college now, but yea I've been called terrorist, camel rider, etc during high school years. But eh, I didn't even notice them, I just ignored them, much better things were on my mind :)

Although I always can make them regret what they say ;) (verbally of course :D)

But me and my family ALWAYS get stopped at the airport, especially when going through the searches...my God, they always stop US out of everyone and pull us to the side for "special searches". They even start to go through EVERYTHING in our luggage. I guess going through their detectors and looking at the computer isn't enough for them :angry:

• Veteran Member

camel rider,

Stupid people, they heard of camels in Arabia, and using the term "camel rider" almost to every Muslim...

I am from Afghanistan, we never have camels, maybe very few... people use donkeyz or horses in countryside or mountains....

or in Pakistan I never seen more than few camels in the whole Pakistan lol

And when you try to explain to them some of the things, that seems things are misunderstood on some issues, then they act really smart and behave like they never know anything about other world, kind of like others in Eastern World are not worthed to know things about them...

But me and my family ALWAYS get stopped at the airport, especially when going through the searches...my God, they always stop US out of everyone and pull us to the side for "special searches". They even start to go through EVERYTHING in our luggage. I guess going through their detectors and looking at the computer isn't enough for them :angry:

It's not that they are really looking for something...

The point is that "they want to give you hard time and then make you realize that you are pressured and we annoy you because you are a Muslim... not because you are a bad guy"

Part of the idea is to make you stressed, emotional and create hatreds amongst ppll..

• Veteran Member
90% of these people are ignorant, and incompetent when it comes to world politics, and education in general.

Well, it is not always that... some of the times, they act 'ignorant'! They pretend that way... especially when it comes from the official sides.. governmental sites or those areas... they are told to behave like that and give Muslims a hard time... make them uncomfortable and being annoying...and even humiliate them.

I do Not live in the West. But as a frequent business traveller, I have not personally faced such problems. Perhaps that is due to me being a woman.

The phenomenon, though is there. Male, muslim members of our UK office have the most such complaints.

• Advanced Member

I've never really experienced it, except for this once on my way to the UK after being on transit for 7 hrs in dubai.

As i got to my seat on the plane, it wasn't that full, but I was extremely tired and fatigued after having to entertain myself at the dubai airport, and no sleep for over 24 hrs...

So there was a white couple who were supposed to be seated next to me, as they approached the row, and saw me sitting there, the lady rolls her eyes, looks at her husband and calls up the airhostess to complain about her seats.

I was toooo tired to take any offense, and besides, getting 2 extra seats to yourself in economy class is way too good an offer to complain about :P

So I just let them go and sit wherever they were ebing assigned and was smiling at my good fortune when this pakistani couple (seeing a hijabi) came and sat right next to me!! those weren't even thier seats!!!

I wouldn't have minded if atleast she would have let me sleep in peace, being sleep deprived for soo long. But NO WAY!

Every few minutes she'd nudge me... I got soo sick and tired of it but I couldnt say anything...

I mean there were these 2 other seats on the other side of the aisle, why on earth couldn't they just have taken those??!!

Anyway Inshallah Khair I hope my real feelings didn't show... (I was too grateful to the white couple to complain abt anything - thanks to my hijabi-terrorist-looks) but these guys just put me off!

• Advanced Member
UK is the only country in the West where Muslims have more rights, free to express their ideas, and not discriminated much or being under pressure in their daily lives just for being "Muslim"!

Lolz getting stop searched by Police and getting pulled in your car just because your a 'PAKI' is not exactly easier brother. Even worse if your poor and a good muslim or poor and a Pakistani just look at the daily newspapers they are full of hate towards muslims. Pakistani's are like Blacks here in the UK they get treated as second class and if they happen to lok like muslims they can even get attacked or shot at by Poilce like what happend in Croydon (london i think).

• Veteran Member
Lolz getting stop searched by Police and getting pulled in your car just because your a 'PAKI' is not exactly easier brother. Even worse if your poor and a good muslim or poor and a Pakistani just look at the daily newspapers they are full of hate towards muslims. Pakistani's are like Blacks here in the UK they get treated as second class and if they happen to lok like muslims they can even get attacked or shot at by Poilce like what happend in Croydon (london i think).

I meant, the UK compared to other Western countries!

I never lived in the UK, but I could tell from what I heard from people, or experienced online, (medias).

• Advanced Member

I meant, the UK compared to other Western countries!

I never lived in the UK, but I could tell from what I heard from people, or experienced online, (medias).

That's not true, I would say Canada is more tolerant. Although the UK is a lot better than countries like the US, Holland or Denmark.

• Veteran Member
That's not true, I would say Canada is more tolerant. Although the UK is a lot better than countries like the US, Holland or Denmark.

Well, I live in the US, soooo yea,,,,,,,,,,,,,, right.. u got it! :D

You could be right on Canada!

Do you live in Canada?

• Advanced Member

I was called a terrorist this year I ignored the kids then a kid said something terrible about the prophet mohammed p.b.u.h which I cant mention. I went lion on him it took the principal and 3 kids to stop me. If I didnt act then prophet mohammeds name would be insulted by those people forever. Its ok though I am a youth so I didnt get cuffed, but they did give me the old we could call the police and put you in jail.