Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mo87_11014

Do You Feel There Is A Minor Shia Revolution Taking Place On The Net?

Rate this topic

(salam)

ive noticed in the past five years a slow escallation of shia activities on the net websites and so on.

i still feel it needs a lot more work from all of us but its better than 50 years ago in myview not that i was alive then :).

anyone feel the same?

ws

First thing, you should have defined what you want us to understand when you say "A minor Shia Revolution".

I voted NO on both counts.

For the second, I believe various types of sarellite channels are keeping away people from serious religious enquiry.

Guest Dialectician
For the second, I believe various types of sarellite channels are keeping away people from serious religious enquiry.

Star Pariwar? :!!!:

No, its the people themselves who keep themselves away from "serious" religious enquiry.

Edited by Dialectician

Salam

I don't know about a Shia revolution to be honest; I think that because communication techniques are now so varied and accessible, there has been an increase of everything and anything through the internet and satellite channels. Also, after the fall of Saddam Hussein al-la3een, the Shia of Iraq have been free to go for ziyara, publish literature, establish further hawza schools etc that could not be thought of before. So I see where you are coming from, that al-hamdulilah it does feel like there is more unrepressed Shia activity than ever before, may it continue InshaAllah!

Star Pariwar? :!!!:

No, its the people themselves who keep themselves away from "serious" religious enquiry.

Peer pressure, possibility of spending passive time instead of active [watching TV, instead of going out instead] are also contributing factors.

THere's is more than a grain of truth in what you have said above. But the sheer availability does lead people to check out what's available.

(salam)

I do believe that awareness towards Shiaism is rising though I don't know if "revolution" is the right word for it.

Anyway.. I think the most important source that you forgot to mention is the Internet. That's making the accessibility of materials so easy. Thats why people are getting their hands on works that were diffcult to aquire before.

(bismillah)

I was unable to vote, so I will give my opinion here instead:

First let me rephrase the question; you most likely wanted to ask if there is a Shi'a REVIVAL, not revolution...in any case;

I would vote YES; it is the reason I am here even! The reasons I believe things are improving for Shi'a Islam are....:

1. There are quite a few English-speaking Shi'a scholars and callers to Islam on the internet these days.

2. There are now many websites with "mainstream" names such as "al-islam.org", "duas.org", "islamicbooks.org" and even a site I remember seeing once, that was called Sunnah-something (don't remember exactly) and was saying that the Sunnah of the Ahl Ul Bayt is the true Sunnah of Islam. These websites all present Islam as it is practiced by the followers of the Ahl Ul Bayt.

3. Spreading the fatwa from Al Azhar regarding followers of the Jafari madhab (= Shi'a) is also helping in awakening the interest for people to learn more about Shi'a. The fatwa is - from what I have experienced - sort of like an assurance that one will not burn in the Fire for learning about this part of Islam.

4. Also I get the feeling that Shi'a Muslims are becoming more and more into da'awah and socializing with Sunnis for the sake of da'awah.

5. Another thing might be that the people who fled their home countries in the Middle East and settled in the West and had children in the late 1970's and 1980's....well, these children are now Shi'a teenagers or adults who speak English either fluently or very well, and can go into their Western society and talk about Islam in a way that their parents never could.

WaAllahou 'alam.

(salam)

Ms. Moonlight

(salam)

The reason for this is because perhaps a decade ago, more or less, many scholars got together and decided to create a strong internet presence for the knowledge of Shi'ah Islam.

Many web designers (like myself!) will note a similarity in the design of many Shi'ah websites such as www.al-shia.com with other Shi'ah sites on the net. Most likely they were built by the same web designers. I hope that's of some help.

sallam

in london i see a huge diffarance in participation than ten years ago mostly becuase the lecturers came and reminded people about the Ahlulbayt.

also the reason i didnt write the net was bcz i was speaking about the netbut perhaps i should have added that also anyway no harm done.

ws

(bismillah)

I was unable to vote, so I will give my opinion here instead:

First let me rephrase the question; you most likely wanted to ask if there is a Shi'a REVIVAL, not revolution...in any case;

That was a very intelligent edit to the original question, though REVIVAL and REVOLUTION are two quite different species and mutually exclusive.

1. There are quite a few English-speaking Shi'a scholars and callers to Islam on the internet these days.

The quality of these gentlemen needs a world to be desired.

2. There are now many websites with "mainstream" names such as "al-islam.org", "duas.org", "islamicbooks.org" and even a site I remember seeing once, that was called Sunnah-something (don't remember exactly) and was saying that the Sunnah of the Ahl Ul Bayt is the true Sunnah of Islam. These websites all present Islam as it is practiced by the followers of the Ahl Ul Bayt.

Creating websites is child's play. All it requirfes is a few dollars. Maintaining them properly requires much, much more. Shiachat, AIM and al-islam are some of the best and most well maintained shia sites.

But websites do not constitute revival or revolution perse. They can just play a very limited role in either.

3. Spreading the fatwa from Al Azhar regarding followers of the Jafari madhab (= Shi'a) is also helping in awakening the interest for people to learn more about Shi'a. The fatwa is - from what I have experienced - sort of like an assurance that one will not burn in the Fire for learning about this part of Islam.

The Shia faith is madhab-e-haqqa and DOES NOT need any endorse from any Shaltoot or whoever

4. Also I get the feeling that Shi'a Muslims are becoming more and more into da'awah and socializing with Sunnis for the sake of da'awah.

Maybe where you are.

5. Another thing might be that the people who fled their home countries in the Middle East and settled in the West and had children in the late 1970's and 1980's....well, these children are now Shi'a teenagers or adults who speak English either fluently or very well, and can go into their Western society and talk about Islam in a way that their parents never could.

WaAllahou 'alam.

It is a fond hope that such hybrid Shias will make much of a difference.

Any cataclysmic difference that will come, will come either from Iran again, or Iraq [very remote possibility] or from the South Asian sub-continent.

(salam)

Ms. Moonlight

(wasalam)

It is a fond hope that such hybrid Shias will make much of a difference.

Any cataclysmic difference that will come, will come either from Iran again, or Iraq [very remote possibility] or from the South Asian sub-continent.

Do you have in mind a revolution on the scale of the Islamic Revolution in Iran, because then you would be justified in saying that it is unlikely to come from 'hybrid' Shias; otherwise I think that the Shia in the West have done a good job of reviving Shia Islam in general. Alot of our resources are available online in English, reflecting the popular demand for them by the Shia living in the West. We are in more contact with non-Shias compared to Iran e.g who are 90% Shia, meaning that we have had more opportunities to discuss Shia Islam with non-Shias. Ahlul-Bayt Societies throughout universities here in Britain have also helped to raise awareness of our beliefs (though not as much as the Sunni da'wah projects admittedly). I sense that the Shia youth in the West are active Masha'Allah, but there is still alot of work to be done (with the will and guidance of Allah (s.w.t) )

^

Is there any way to ascertain:

How many non-Shia have been brought into the Shia fold, say over the past three years

How many non-practicing Shia have become practicing Shia over the past three years