Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
FatimehJ

If No Turbah?

Rate this topic

(salam)

If I go to a non-Shia mosque to pray and I do not have a turbah is it ok in this instance to pray directly onto the prayer mat? Also if I had a turbah might they not be awkward towards me?

Allah hafez

Fatimeh

What's required is to do your sajda on something that comes from the earth but is neither wearable nor edible. So, even without a turba you could still use something such a leaf (meaning one that people don't eat), a stone, grass, earth, and so forth so long as they meet the above condition. Even plain paper is fine (as long as it meets the right conditions). That, or you could carry your turbah with you in your pocket. In terms of reactions of others, my suggestion to you is to judge each situation for what it is. If it's a more open atmosphere and folks won't care, that's one thing, if it's a Wahhabi dominated center where you might get accused of bringing an "idol" (a`udhu billah min dhalik) in their ignorance and spite, well that's another. In Makkah for instance, Shi`as in general don't bring their turbahs with them to pray with in Haram (imagine the reaction from the ignorants there). What you'll see a number doing is to prostrate directly on the marble floor past the carpeting. No need to be rustling up trouble for yourself over something like that.

Details here:

http://al-islam.org/laws/rulesofnamaaz3.html#1085

(salam) ,

I rechecked on Ayatullah Sistani's website. I couldn't confirm my claim about the prostraton on the nail that I stated earlier but I have heard about that multiple times in the past :unsure:

Here's thw website, you can find all the rules regarding sajdah on there.

http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=n...59&pid=2955

Edited by Hubbe_Hussein110

(salam)

According to Ayatollah Sistani:

1081. At a place where a person has to observe taqayyah (concealing one's faith in dangerous situation) he can perform Sajdah on a carpet, or other similar things, and it is not necessary for him to go elsewhere, or delay the prayers so that he is able to pray freely at that place without taqayyah. But if he finds that he can perform Sajdah on a mat, or any other allowed objects, without any impediment, then he should not perform Sajdah on a carpet or things like it.

1093. If a person does not possess anything on which it is allowed to perform Sajdah, or, even if he possesses such a thing, he cannot perform Sajdah on it due to severe heat or cold, he should perform Sajdah on asphalt or tar, and if that is not possible, on his dress or the back of his hand, or on any thing on which it is not permissible to perform Sajdah optionally. However, in such a situation, the recommended precaution is that as long as it is possible to perform Sajdah on his dress he should not do Sajdah on any other thing.

Here is a link for his ruling of Things on which Sajdah is allowed http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&a...59&pid=2955

I generally carry a turbah with me and use it to pray at university eg where we have a prayer room for all muslims. I have had no negative reaction and can pray side by side with other muslims and its fine. You may feel self-conscious to start with because you are doing something no one else is, but once you are in prayer you dont think about it. As it has been said though, judge the situation and InshaAllah you will have no problems.

Salam sister. Here's something I wrote that will help you inshallah: http://www.islamtutor.com/prayer.php?p=turbah

The thing about the Turbah is that I've used it for over 3 years at university, in front of all the wahabis and sunni types you can imagine and they have never come up to ask me what it is and what I'm doing! As a Shia, a Muslim at university, I have as much right as any other Muslim to worship in the prayer room and to follow my Aqueedah how I like so they can't say 'get out of here'. Fear not sis.