Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mwanafunzi

Asking For Acceptance Of Dua From The Imams

Rate this topic

(salam)

Brothers and sisters I would like to hear your views on the concept of praying to the Imams for the acceptance of our wishes. I have heard several scholars say that that addressing the dua directly to the Imams (particularly the 12th Imam (as) ) is highly encouraged. I've heard some say that regardless of whether one address the duas to Allah directly, the intermediary is still the Imam (as) and therefore it would be better to direct the dua to him - who then prays to Allah on our behalf.

If this is a unimously accepted concept among the religious scholars - why is it that in all the beautiful duas that have been written by our Aimah (as) the duas are always addressed to Allah and not to them? I am not trying to lower the status of our Aimah (as), they were without a doubt infallible and the best of Allah's creation after the Holy Prophet (pbuh), but would praying directly to them constitute a form of shirk? How one one go about explaining this idea to our sunni brothers?

Jazakum Allah

(salam)

Brothers and sisters I would like to hear your views on the concept of praying to the Imams for the acceptance of our wishes. I have heard several scholars say that that addressing the dua directly to the Imams (particularly the 12th Imam (as) ) is highly encouraged. I've heard some say that regardless of whether one address the duas to Allah directly, the intermediary is still the Imam (as) and therefore it would be better to direct the dua to him - who then prays to Allah on our behalf.

If this is a unimously accepted concept among the religious scholars - why is it that in all the beautiful duas that have been written by our Aimah (as) the duas are always addressed to Allah and not to them? I am not trying to lower the status of our Aimah (as), they were without a doubt infallible and the best of Allah's creation after the Holy Prophet (pbuh), but would praying directly to them constitute a form of shirk? How one one go about explaining this idea to our sunni brothers?

Jazakum Allah

First of all, If one does not witness the Divine Presence in Muhammad Mustafa (S) and the rest of the Imams, I dont see how it is permissible to to ask help from them. We have to see them first of all as the perfect manifestation of God then only can we ask help from them. We must see them as a immersed in the Divine to such an extent that to think of them is to think of God. In this way only it is my opinion that it is not only ok but beautiful to ask help from them. Because when one asks help from them in this frame of mind and heart, one feels that they are asking help from God but in a proper way. If one doesnt feel comfortable asking help from The Prophet Muhammad and His family (may God bless them) then i wouldn't encourage it. I would encourage them to first learn Tawhid and then later on learn Tawassul. We ought not to focus on things that are not essential to our beleif. If one focuses on Tawassul without understanding Tawhid then thats a problem. Not all sunnis have a problem with tawassul the sunnis who know their tawheed dont have a problem with it. Dont worry about the sunnis who dont know their tawhid properly.

peace be with you

MK

We have to see them first of all as the perfect manifestation of God then only can we ask help from them. We must see them as a immersed in the Divine to such an extent that to think of them is to think of God.

peace be with you

MK

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say "See them as the perfect manifestation on God..." how is this different from the Christian view that Isa (as) was a manifestation of God on earth? And why is it that the Imams didnt write in their duas to pray to them?

I am not trying to question the noble status of the Aimah (as), I know they are Allah's decisive argument and proof over mankind - and I hope that I can fill the void of ignorance.

Assalam 3alaikum,

There are a lot of examples in real life that can be related to the ideology of intercession. For example, you need to go for a job interview for a firm, in this case you'll have to get accepted by the interview who in this case wouldbe the authority. Instead of handing your resume to the interviewer himself, it would be a better idea if you get it done through a friend of yours who is already part of the firm (ie. the interviewer and your friend are very close with one another). Your chances of being successful are suddenly increased.

So when we ask the intercession of the Ahlul-bayt (as), we are still asking God for help through these purified souls in the hope that Allah (swt) will accept our dua'as. As long as you know that the help comes to us through the A'immah (as) and not from them it is not considered shirk but is recommended. This was the explanation I got from a sheikh once.

(salam)

Jazakum Allah

Oh pls, by all means ask any question that is on your mind. And If you feel that i am wrong on something i may learn something. God knows Best.

Christains are not necessarily wrong. Christains who say Jesus is literally God, they are wrong. But Christains who see Jesus like the way we see Muhammad (S), they are not wrong. They are ahlul kitab yes? they are not mushriks. i can understand how some are mushriks though. The QUran criticizes those "christians" who see "trinity" or "Jesus as the son of God" as something to be taken literally. Unfortunately many people nowadays find it impossible (and even blasphemous) to see that Christians can even be believers (Momin). The Quran mentions that some of them are believers.

" Those who have faith, and those of the Jews, the christians, and the Sabeans--whoso has faith in God and the Last Day and works wholesome deeds--their wage awaits them with their Lord, and no fear shall be upon them, neither shall they sorrow." (2:62, 5:69)

"Some of the people of the book (ahlul kitab) are a wholesome nation. They recite God's signs in the watches of the night, prostrating themselves, having faith (beleif) in God (Mominoona-bi- Allah) and the Last Day, bidding to honor and forbidding dishonor, and vying with one another in good deeds. They are among the wholesome. Whatever good they do, they will not be denied its reward." (3:113--115).

Many fundamentalist either ignore these verses or say that these verses are abrogated (even though only verses pertaining to shariah can be abrogated). smile.gif

Dont we say everything is God in a way.... anyway? "Wherever you turn, there is the Face of God" -Quran. ? What does this verse mean? This is referring to God's Manifest Side. (His Zahir Side). God is Both BAatin (Hidden) and Zaahir (Manifest). So this tree or that mountain is God as Manifest. The reason why we talk more about Muhammad (S) is because he is a human. but not just any human, he is a perfect human. (al insan al kamil). He is taught all the names of God. this means he manifests all the names of God. a mountain or a tree manifests only some names of God. like strength, beauty, but doesnt manifest life. Muhammad (S) manifests every single name of God.

You see, we benefit from God through his names. through his signs. how else do we benefit from God? the rain we get from the heavens and the vegetables that we get from the earth, these are all God's ways of helping us. these are all names of God. Imagine the name of all these names? this name is Muhammad. Muhammad (S) is the one behind all these signs that we see. And Muhammad (S) is himself a sign of God. "We have not sent you but as a mercy to all of the worlds" - Quran.

So there is no problem asking Muhammad (S) or using anything in this world as long as you see them as a mercy sent by God, or as long as you see them as signs of God, or manifestations of God.

let me know what you think

please take care

M3salama.

why is it that in all the beautiful duas that have been written by our Aimah (as) the duas are always addressed to Allah and not to them?

The Aimmah (a.s) had the duty to worship Allah (s.w.t) just like any one else, so they would recite ad3iya addressing Allah (s.w.t).

(salam)

I watched this a few months ago, Syed Ammar Nakshwani gave this speech in Tanzania in the month of ramadhan.

Is Intercession a Form of Shirk

Beautiful explanation.

He talks about how to go through to Allah (swt) through a medium He chose to reach us.

Hope it answers your question.

Ma'assalaam

Thanks for the link, sister. It definitely was a beautiful explanation.

Oh pls, by all means ask any question that is on your mind. And If you feel that i am wrong on something i may learn something. God knows Best.

Christains are not necessarily wrong. Christains who say Jesus is literally God, they are wrong. But Christains who see Jesus like the way we see Muhammad (S), they are not wrong. They are ahlul kitab yes? they are not mushriks. i can understand how some are mushriks though. The QUran criticizes those "christians" who see "trinity" or "Jesus as the son of God" as something to be taken literally. Unfortunately many people nowadays find it impossible (and even blasphemous) to see that Christians can even be believers (Momin). The Quran mentions that some of them are believers.

" Those who have faith, and those of the Jews, the christians, and the Sabeans--whoso has faith in God and the Last Day and works wholesome deeds--their wage awaits them with their Lord, and no fear shall be upon them, neither shall they sorrow." (2:62, 5:69)

"Some of the people of the book (ahlul kitab) are a wholesome nation. They recite God's signs in the watches of the night, prostrating themselves, having faith (beleif) in God (Mominoona-bi- Allah) and the Last Day, bidding to honor and forbidding dishonor, and vying with one another in good deeds. They are among the wholesome. Whatever good they do, they will not be denied its reward." (3:113--115).

Many fundamentalist either ignore these verses or say that these verses are abrogated (even though only verses pertaining to shariah can be abrogated). smile.gif

Dont we say everything is God in a way.... anyway? "Wherever you turn, there is the Face of God" -Quran. ? What does this verse mean? This is referring to God's Manifest Side. (His Zahir Side). God is Both BAatin (Hidden) and Zaahir (Manifest). So this tree or that mountain is God as Manifest. The reason why we talk more about Muhammad (S) is because he is a human. but not just any human, he is a perfect human. (al insan al kamil). He is taught all the names of God. this means he manifests all the names of God. a mountain or a tree manifests only some names of God. like strength, beauty, but doesnt manifest life. Muhammad (S) manifests every single name of God.

You see, we benefit from God through his names. through his signs. how else do we benefit from God? the rain we get from the heavens and the vegetables that we get from the earth, these are all God's ways of helping us. these are all names of God. Imagine the name of all these names? this name is Muhammad. Muhammad (S) is the one behind all these signs that we see. And Muhammad (S) is himself a sign of God. "We have not sent you but as a mercy to all of the worlds" - Quran.

So there is no problem asking Muhammad (S) or using anything in this world as long as you see them as a mercy sent by God, or as long as you see them as signs of God, or manifestations of God.

let me know what you think

please take care

M3salama.

Thanks for clarifying. I understand what you mean by "A manifestation of Allah"