Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Hassoon

The Merits Of Omar

Rate this topic

It tells about Umar being man enough to hit his sister. But it is clever enough not to mention Umar having his son put to death. But that is also true from Sunni sources. You just have to get someone to give you a Sunni source for that.

By the way, our Imams never hit anyone in their lives - ever. Much less a woman.

on a related note, do any sunnis have anything to comment about this (posted on the other forum, no sunnis (or shias) replied, so...) would be interested in hearing thoughts

Ibn 'Abbas (ra) said: I asked 'Umar (ra): 'For what reason were you called Al-Faruq?' He said, 'Hamzah accepted Islam three days before me. I went to the mosque, and Abu Jahl hurried up to abuse the Prophet (saw) and Hamzah was told about it. He took his bow and came to the mosque, up to the circle of Quraysh in which Abu Jahl was. He leant upon his bow facing Abu Jahl and looked at him, and Abu Jahl recognised the mischief in his face, and said, "What is wrong with you, Abu 'Umarah?" He raised his bow and with it struck one of the veins in his neck, cutting it so that blood flowed. Quraysh rectified that from fear of mischief and trouble.'

He said, 'The Messenger of Allah (saw) was concealed in the house of Al-Arqam al-Makhzumi so Hamzah went off and accepted Islam. I went out three days after him and there was so-and-so son of so-and-so al-Makhzumi, and I said to him, "Do you yearn to get out of the deen of your ancestors and follow the deen of Muhammad?" He said, "If I did, then one who has much greater right upon you has also done it." I said, "Who is he?" He said, "Your sister and your brother in-law."

I went off, found the door locked and heard the murmur of lowered voices. Then the door was opened for me. I entered and said, "What is this I hear with you?" They said, "You didn't hear anything," and the conversation continued between us until I took hold of my brother in-law's head and hit him, making him bleed. My sister stood up to me and took hold of my head and said, "That has happened despite you."

I was ashamed when I saw the blood, so I sat down and said, "Show me this writing." My sister said, "No-one touches it except for the purified. If you are truthful then get up and bathe yourself." I got up and bathed myself, then I returned and sat down.

They brought me a page in which was, "In the name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate." I said, "Wholesome and pure names!"

"-Ta-Ha. We have not revealed the Qur'an to you for you to grieve,

-But only as a -Reminder to those who fear (Allah). A revelation from Him (Allah) Who has created the earth and high heavens.

-The Compassionate One presided upon the Throne a presiding befitting of Him.

-To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth, and all that is between them, and all that is under the soil.

And if you (O Muhammad) speak (the invocation) aloud, then verily, He knows the secret and that which is yet more hidden.

Allah! none has the right to be worshipped but He! To Him belong the Best of Names." (surah Ta-Ha:1-8).

It became a great matter in my heart and I said, "From this Quraysh have fled!" I accepted Islam and said, "Where is the Messenger of Allah (saw)?" She said, "He is in the house of al-Arqam." I went to the house and knocked on the door. The people gathered and Hamzah said to them, "What is wrong with you." They said, "'Umar." He said, "And if it is 'Umar? Open the door for him. If he has accepted, then we will accept that from him, and if he turns his back, we will kill him."

The Messenger of Allah (saw) heard that and came out. I pronounced the shahadah and the people of the house said, "Allahu Akbar!" in such a way that the people of Makkah heard it.

I then said, "Messenger of Allah, are we not upon the truth?" He said, "Of course." I said, "Why do we conceal it?" We then went out in two ranks, in one of which I was and in the other Hamzah, until we entered the mosque, and Quraysh looked at me and at Hamzah. There came upon them gloom and depression the like of which had never before come upon them. The Messenger of Allah (saw) named me on that day "al-Faruq" because Islam had been shown openly and a separation made between the truth and falsehood.'

Ibn 'Abbas (ra) said: The first man to be open about Islam was 'Umar ibn al-Khattab.

Ibn Mas'ud (ra) said: The Islam of 'Umar was an opening, his hijrah (emigration) was a help and his caliphate was a mercy. I saw us unable to pray towards the House until 'Umar accepted Islam. When 'Umar accepted Islam, he fought them until they left us alone and we prayed.

Sa'd ibn Abi Waqqas said: The Prophet (saw) said, 'Ibn al-Khattab, by Him in Whose hand is my self, the shaytan never met you travelling on a road but that he would travel on a road other than your road.'

Abu Hurairah said: The Prophet (saw) said, 'There were in the nations before you people who were inspired, and if there is one in my ummah, it is 'Umar.'

Ibn 'Umar related that the Prophet (saw) said, 'Allah has put the truth upon 'Umar's tongue and (in) his heart.'

Ibn 'Umar said: No affair ever happened among people and they spoke about it and 'Umar spoke about it but that the Qur'an was revealed confirming what 'Umar said.

Ubayy ibn Ka'b said: The Prophet (saw) said, 'Jibril said to me, "Let Islam weep over the death of 'Umar."'

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri said: The Prophet (saw) said, 'Whoever is angry with 'Umar is angry with me. Whoever loves 'Umar loves me. Allah glorifies in the people on the evening of 'Arafah generally, and He glorifies in 'Umar particularly. Allah has not sent a prophet except that he put among his ummah an inspired man and if there is one such man in my ummah, then it is 'Umar.' They said, 'Prophet of Allah, how inspired?' He said, 'The angels speak by his tongue.'

... The History of the Khalifahs, Jalal ad-Din as-Suyuti

The Odyssey: Sayyidina 'Umar ibn al-Khattab (al-Faruq)

Re: Merits of Umar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of it is pretty accurate. The bit about how he went to his sister's house upon learning of her conversion to Islam, is slightly innacurate in its details. The historical narrations of the event, do not tell of him beating his sister. He did rough up his brother-in-law, and when his sister tried to stop him, she was accidentally struck in the melee. When he saw his sister had been hit, and perhaps bleeding from a cut, his anger immediately dissipated and he felt remorse.

As for the other parts, I can't remember the exact details of how he dealt with each trangression and extravagance during his time in rule, but he was very strict with both himself and others in positions of power and authority. He was relatively gentle in his manner to the general public. There is a very good biography in an abridged version called Umar by Shibli Numani.

Is everyone Reading the thread?

I am honestly shocked

Look at this

====================

I don't know how Umar hitting his sister before converting to Islam is such a big deal? I mean he's gone as far as threatning to burn the door of the daughter of Rasool (pbuh) after becoming a Muslim. And he was so strict cuz' he didn't want any innovations in the religion like making wonderful biddahs of jamaat tarawih prayers or saying talaq talaq talaq or saying as salaato khairum minan naum in Fajar adhan

Is everyone Reading the thread?

I am honestly shocked

Look at this

====================

I don't know how Umar hitting his sister before converting to Islam is such a big deal? I mean he's gone as far as threatning to burn the door of the daughter of Rasool (pbuh) after becoming a Muslim. And he was so strict cuz' he didn't want any innovations in the religion like making wonderful biddahs of jamaat tarawih prayers or saying talaq talaq talaq or saying as salaato khairum minan naum in Fajar adhan

LOL oops thought a Sunni Said this

Dear Sunni Brother

If you are as sincere as you make out (it's hard to tell on the internet and only Allah knows) then I think you are definitley on to something. You are coming to understand Omar's character a bit more. Do some more research into his life from sunni and shia sources (if you want to be really unbiased) and I have no doubt that you will reach the truth.

If you are sincere then may Allah reward you on your search for truth, regardless of the outcome you reach.

If you need any assistance we are all here.

Salams

Hassan

(salam)

For those willing to know more about Umar, I think these will help!

Imam al-Beyhaqi records in 'Al-Sunnan al-Kubra' Volume 2 page 227:

Úä ÌÏå ÃäÓ Èä ãÇáß ÞÇá ßä ÅãÇÁ ÚãÑ ÑÖí Çááå Úäå íÎÏãääÇ ßÇÔÝÇÊ Úä ÔÚæÑåä ÊÖØÑÈ ËÏíåä

ÞÇá ÇáÔíÎ æÇáÂËÇÑ Úä ÚãÑ Èä ÇáÎØÇÈ ÑÖí Çááå Úäå Ýí Ðáß ÕÍíÍÉ

Anas bin Malik said: 'The slave-girls of Umar were serving us with uncovered hair and their breasts shaking"

Al-Bayhaqi graded the tradition as 'Sahih' while Al-Albani the Wahabi in his book 'Erwa al-Ghalil' volume 6 page 204 said: 'The chain of narration is perfect'.

Umar let his slave-girls go naked, even among his guests, because he did not consider them 'full' human beings.

Anas reported: 'Umar once saw a slave-girl that belonged to us (to Anas) wearing a scarf, so Umar hit her and told her: 'Don't assume the manners of free woman.''

Musnaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Volume 2 page 41 Tradition 6236

Imam Ibn Hajar in 'al-Deraya' Volume 1 page 124 and Al-Albani the Salafi in 'Irwa al-Ghalil' Volume 6 page 203 have graded this hadith as 'Sahih'.

Úä ÇáãÓíÈ Èä ÏÇÑã ÞÇá : ÑÃíÊ ÚãÑ æÝí íÏå ÏÑÉ ÝÖÑÈ ÑÃÓ ÃãÉ ÍÊì ÓÞØ ÇáÞäÇÚ Úä ÑÃÓåÇ ¡ ÞÇá : Ýíã ÇáÃãÉ ÊÔÈå ÈÇáÍÑÉ

Al-Musaiab bin Darum said: 'I saw Umar holding a stick in his hand and striking a slave-girl's head until her scarf same off, he the said: 'Why does the slave assume the manners of free woman?'

1. Tabaqat ibn Saad, Volume 7 page 127

2. Kanz al-Umal, Volume 15 page 486 Hadith 41928

3. Tarikh Damishq, Volume 58 page 191

His son was no better. Apparently, he taught his manners to his dear Abdullah. We read in Sunan al-Kubra by Imam Beyhaqi:

Úä äÇÝÚ ¡ Úä ÇÈä ÚãÑ " Ãäå ßÇä ÅÐÇ ÇÔÊÑì ÌÇÑíÉ ßÔÝ Úä ÓÇÞåÇ ææÖÚ íÏå Èíä ËÏííåÇ æ Úáì ÚÌÒåÇ

Nafe'e narrated that whenever Ibn Umar wanted to buy a slave-girl, he would inspect her by analysing her legs and placing his hands between her breasts and on her buttocks"

Sunnan Al-Kubra, Volume 5 page 329

Imam Al-Baani al-Wahabi termed the tradition as 'Sahih' in his book "Mukhtasir Irwa Al-Ghalil Fi Takhrij Ahadith Manar Al-Sabil" Volume 1 page 355 Hadith number 1792.

We also read:

'Mujahid reported that ibn Umar placed his hand between (a slave-girl's) breasts and shook them'

Musnaf Abdur Razak, Volume 7 page 286 Tradition 13204

We also read in Musanaf ibn Abi Shayba, Volume 4 page 289 Tradition 20241:

äÇ Úáí Èä ãÓåÑ Úä ÚÈíÏÇááå Úä äÇÝÚ Úä ÇÈä ÚãÑ Ãäå ÅÐÇ ÃÑÇÏ Ãä íÔÊÑí ÇáÌÇÑíÉ æÖÚ íÏå Úáì ÃáíÊíåÇ æÈíä ÝÎÐíåÇ æÑÈãÇ ßÔÝ Úä ÓÇÞåÇ

'Nafee reported that when ibn Umar wanted to buy a slave-girl he placed his hand on buttocks, between her thighs, and may uncover their her legs'

ÍÏËäÇ ÌÑíÑ Úä ãäÕæÑ Úä ãÌÇåÏ ÞÇá ßäÊ ãÚ Èä ÚãÑ ÇãÔí Ýí ÇáÓæÞ ÝÅÐÇ äÍä ÈäÇÓ ãä ÇáäÎÇÓíä ÞÏ ÇÌÊãÚæÇ Úáì ÌÇÑíÉ íÞáÈæäåÇ ÝáãÇ ÑÇæÇ Èä ÚãÑ ÊäÍæÇ æÞÇáæÇ Èä ÚãÑ ÞÏ ÌÇÁ ÝÏäÇ ãäåÇ Èä ÚãÑ ÝáãÓ ÔíÆÇ ãä ÌÓÏåÇ æÞÇá Ãíä ÃÕÍÇÈ åÐå ÇáÌÇÑíÉ ÅäãÇ åí ÓáÚÉ

Mujahid said: 'I was walking with ibn Umar in a slave market, then we saw some slave dealers gathered around one slave-girl and they were kissing her, when they saw ibn Umar, they stopped and said: 'Ibn Umar has arrived'. Then ibn Umar came closer to the slave-girl, he touched some parts of her body and then said: 'Who is the master of this slave-girl, she is just a commodity!'

Musanaf ibn Abi Shayba, Volume 4 page 289 Tradition 20240

Like 'righteous' father, like 'righteous' son!

Edited by toyibonline

There is a very good biography in an abridged version called Umar by Shibli Numani.

Shibli Numani's books are not reliable. He was terribly anti-Shia. So he tended to glorify the three caliphs as much as he could.

You have to read various sources, both in favour and against and use your own filtering techniques to form a correct opinion about anyone.

One line of approach would be to read the story of the Fadak dispute, both from several Shia and several Sunni sources and make your own adjudication about the possible intentions of the parties concerned. That may lead you to an understanding of the character of those involved.

Good luck ! And God be with you in making the right assessment.

and the ones that did stay on topic seemed to have no issue with what was written, and indeed seemed surprised that ANYONE (non-shia) would have a problem with it, or question it in any way. :squeez:

lol..shias think because someone decided to label his book Sahih, when it may not be, that it is worthy of posting, as long as it is against Umar(ra).

Now, if I go and post the merits of Umar(ra) they will put their hands in their ears and scream no. they, the shias, will say, where are the BAD hadiths about Umar.

lol..shias think because someone decided to label his book Sahih, when it may not be, that it is worthy of posting, as long as it is against Umar(ra).

Now, if I go and post the merits of Umar(ra) they will put their hands in their ears and scream no. they, the shias, will say, where are the BAD hadiths about Umar.

Brother,

You miss the point.

They're proving the sunni's belief's wrong from thier own sources.

The ahle sunna hold these books in high regard, and believe the ahadeeth in there are all authentic narrations.

Ma'assalaam

ghassanid, what are you talking about? these ARE supposedly MERITS of umar. SunniBrother was asking about the reliability of them, he was advised to take the question to a sunni site, which he did. but instead of getting answers, he got harrassed about supposedly being shia, and the thread got closed because apparently the mods there refuse to MODERATE to keep things in line and let the issues be addressed as they deserve to be.

Brother,

You miss the point.

They're proving the sunni's belief's wrong from thier own sources.

The ahle sunna hold these books in high regard, and believe the ahadeeth in there are all authentic narrations.

Ma'assalaam

Some of the books we hold in high regard, contain weak hadiths.

Some of our hadiths even have NEGATIVE hadiths of the sahaba.

that is why the chain needs to be viewed and studied by a scholar.

Some of the books we hold in high regard, contain weak hadiths.

Some of our hadiths even have NEGATIVE hadiths of the sahaba.

that is why the chain needs to be viewed and studied by a scholar.

doesnt really matter for you, the lovers of muawiyyah will change the hadith so it will suite their belief.

and thats A FACT.

doesnt really matter for you, the lovers of muawiyyah will change the hadith so it will suite their belief.

and thats A FACT.

How do i get the rolling eyes smiley to work?

ghassanid, what are you talking about? these ARE supposedly MERITS of umar. SunniBrother was asking about the reliability of them, he was advised to take the question to a sunni site, which he did. but instead of getting answers, he got harrassed about supposedly being shia, and the thread got closed because apparently the mods there refuse to MODERATE to keep things in line and let the issues be addressed as they deserve to be.

i read the orginal post and I didnt find anything I disagree with.

I especially liked this bit:

Once he noticed a wine-party in somebody's house. He jotted down the address of the person and summoned him in the morning for explanation. When the owner of the house denied it, he said he had himself seen it the night before. The person reminded 'Umar bin Khattab R of the Qur-anic instruction, which forbade people to keep surveillance upon others' houses. Upon hearing this, 'Umar bin Khattab R silenced and did not punish him.

^^lol

I know this thread is not closed i just wanted my question answered by Sunni Brother / Sister and it was not answered

you might get a more "authentic" answer on a sunni message board, since any sunni who joins shiachat is coming here knowing it is "shia"chat

Edited by BintAlHoda

you might get a more "authentic" answer on a sunni message board, since any sunni who joins shiachat is coming here knowing it is "shia"chat

Thats what i did. I asked in a Sunni Message board as mentioned above and they closed it cause they thought i was Shia lol

SOME OF THE CONTRIBUTIONS AND INNOVATIONS OF UMAR.

In this area Umar would excel as no other for many reasons some of which are that in his time the state would be stable. He dealt with many matters quickly and before they would rise to cause. It was also the sharpness of his personality and austerity that quelled many of the troubles that would appear to his successors. Here is some of his major achievements in list form.

Establishment of Public Treasury [23] .

Establishments of courts of Justice and appointment of Judges. [24]

Placing the reserve army on the state’s Payroll and organization of the War department. [25]

Establishment of Postal service. [26]

Establishment of the Land Revenue department. [27]

Survey and assessment of lands. [28]

Public census. [29]

Punishment of those who practice Monopoly by exile to different lands. [30]

Establishment of and use of Jails. [31]

Building of Canals and Bridges. [32]

First to use the Whip. [33]

Establishment of Public Rest Areas, hostels and Wudu (Ablution) Stations. [34]

Fixing the date to the Start of the Migration of the Messenger. [35]

Dividing the state and the conquered territories into provinces. [36]

Founding of new cities (al-Amsar) such as Kufah [37] , Basarah [38] and Fustat. [39]

Zakat on Produce of the sea, such as fish, Lobster, shrimp etc., and appointment of a responsible official.

Use of secret reports and specially designated emissaries to provide first reports as what is really going on in different provinces. [40]

Salary for Imams, Muadhans (Callers to prayer) teachers and public lectures.

Stipends for the poor among the Jews and Christians who lived in conquered lands.

Punishment for drunkenness, written satires and lampoons.

Establishment of Guilds for certain trades. [41]

Prohibition of the mention of women’s names in poetry.

Holding tarawih (Ramadan night prayers) in congregation, before his time it was done individually.

Providing lighting in the Mosques at night. [42]

Persuading Abu Bakr to collect the Qur’an in one book.

Establishment of Military bases at strategic points in the different provinces.

Establishment of the Police department. [43]

Personally making nightly rounds to check on the condition of the people first hand.

Formulation of the Principal of Qiyas (Analogical Reasoning.) for determining rulings on newly encountered matters in Fiqh (Jurisprudence.)

Establishment of a more exact system of calculation of the inheritance.

Limiting the relationship between Muslims and Non-Muslims. [44]

Establishing a stable for the lost camels. [45]

State intervention to control the price of merchandise. [46]

First to enlarge the al-Haram (the Sacred Mosque) at Mecca. First to place a cover on the Kaaba. [47]

Discovered the place of Isra, Ascension of the Messenger to heavens at Jerusalem. [48]

S. Nu’mani, Al-Farooq: The Life of Omar the great, p. 271-273.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 94 and p. 564-655. This was a senstive issue for Umar. He had even setup tests to test Judges before appointment and sometimes during the appointment. See p. 612-619. He also had written a set of protocols on the behavior of judges. Ibn Qayiam al-Jawzyah mentions the fact that Umar had written a long letter to Abu Musa al-Ashari in his book al-alam al-Muwqeen an Rabb al-Alymeen (The notable signatories on Behalf of the Lord of the Worlds Vol. 1p. 85-86.

S. Nu’mani, Al-Farooq: The Life of Omar the great, p. 289-308.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 217.

Ibid., p. 124.

Ibid., p. 124.

Ibid., p. 132.

Ibid., p. 230.

Ibid., p. 210.

Ibid., p. 179.

Tabari’s Tarikh al-Rusul wa’l-Muluk, vol. 4, p. 209.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 247 he also had separate male from female stations set up.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 102.

Ibid., p. 115.

Ibid., p. 109.

Ibid., p. 109.

Ibid., p. 303.

Here he had forbidden some people from practicing certain trades without a minimum amount of knowledge. This would later lead to the establishment of guilds for certain trades and skills. The example that the author uses is the butchers. Umar in one incident punished someone by use of the whip for not knowing how to slaughter well. Some of the reports mention that the one punished was abu Loa’la the Magain who would later assassinate Umar. Ibid., p. 239-240.

Ibid., p. 543. The state would pay for the lighting. He also had the Mosques outfitted with straw mats see p. 550. He also was the first to burn incense on Fridays to make the Mosques smell pleasantly for the congregation prayers. See p. 552

Ibid., p. 264.

Ibid., p. 252.

Ibid., p. 258. Lost camels have a special ruling in Islamic jurisprudence as Muslims is not allowed to keep lost camels as is the case with sheep. The logic behind it is that camels are able to take care of themselves and do not need to be looked after. Camels were the mainstay of Bedouins and stolen camels were sometimes the cause of long feuds between tribes which could last generations.

Ibid., p. 222.

Ibid., p. 472. In the enlargement he also made provisions to protect it from floods. He also built a wall surrounding the entire Mosque structure. Regarding the cover of the Kaaba see p. 479. He also enlarged the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina by buying the nearby houses and making major enlargements see p. 512.

Ibid., p. 155- 178. Umar seemed to have held ash-Sham (Greater Syria) in high esteem it is the only place he would visit personally from the newly conquered lands. He would be the one to personally conclude the peace agreement with Jerusalem’s Patriarch. See also at-Tabari’s Tarikh al-Rusul wa’l-Muluk (vol. 3, p. 611) for the details of the discovery of Rock. He would later visit this area three more times.

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/mih/isl/umar.htm#inovo

http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b5863.html

Edited by reezwan

SOME OF THE CONTRIBUTIONS AND INNOVATIONS OF UMAR.

In this area Umar would excel as no other for many reasons some of which are that in his time the state would be stable. He dealt with many matters quickly and before they would rise to cause. It was also the sharpness of his personality and austerity that quelled many of the troubles that would appear to his successors. Here is some of his major achievements in list form.

Establishment of Public Treasury [23] .

Establishments of courts of Justice and appointment of Judges. [24]

Placing the reserve army on the state’s Payroll and organization of the War department. [25]

Establishment of Postal service. [26]

Establishment of the Land Revenue department. [27]

Survey and assessment of lands. [28]

Public census. [29]

Punishment of those who practice Monopoly by exile to different lands. [30]

Establishment of and use of Jails. [31]

Building of Canals and Bridges. [32]

First to use the Whip. [33]

Establishment of Public Rest Areas, hostels and Wudu (Ablution) Stations. [34]

Fixing the date to the Start of the Migration of the Messenger. [35]

Dividing the state and the conquered territories into provinces. [36]

Founding of new cities (al-Amsar) such as Kufah [37] , Basarah [38] and Fustat. [39]

Zakat on Produce of the sea, such as fish, Lobster, shrimp etc., and appointment of a responsible official.

Use of secret reports and specially designated emissaries to provide first reports as what is really going on in different provinces. [40]

Salary for Imams, Muadhans (Callers to prayer) teachers and public lectures.

Stipends for the poor among the Jews and Christians who lived in conquered lands.

Punishment for drunkenness, written satires and lampoons.

Establishment of Guilds for certain trades. [41]

Prohibition of the mention of women’s names in poetry.

Holding tarawih (Ramadan night prayers) in congregation, before his time it was done individually.

Providing lighting in the Mosques at night. [42]

Persuading Abu Bakr to collect the Qur’an in one book.

Establishment of Military bases at strategic points in the different provinces.

Establishment of the Police department. [43]

Personally making nightly rounds to check on the condition of the people first hand.

Formulation of the Principal of Qiyas (Analogical Reasoning.) for determining rulings on newly encountered matters in Fiqh (Jurisprudence.)

Establishment of a more exact system of calculation of the inheritance.

Limiting the relationship between Muslims and Non-Muslims. [44]

Establishing a stable for the lost camels. [45]

State intervention to control the price of merchandise. [46]

First to enlarge the al-Haram (the Sacred Mosque) at Mecca. First to place a cover on the Kaaba. [47]

Discovered the place of Isra, Ascension of the Messenger to heavens at Jerusalem. [48]

S. Nu’mani, Al-Farooq: The Life of Omar the great, p. 271-273.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 94 and p. 564-655. This was a senstive issue for Umar. He had even setup tests to test Judges before appointment and sometimes during the appointment. See p. 612-619. He also had written a set of protocols on the behavior of judges. Ibn Qayiam al-Jawzyah mentions the fact that Umar had written a long letter to Abu Musa al-Ashari in his book al-alam al-Muwqeen an Rabb al-Alymeen (The notable signatories on Behalf of the Lord of the Worlds Vol. 1p. 85-86.

S. Nu’mani, Al-Farooq: The Life of Omar the great, p. 289-308.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 217.

Ibid., p. 124.

Ibid., p. 124.

Ibid., p. 132.

Ibid., p. 230.

Ibid., p. 210.

Ibid., p. 179.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 247 he also had separate male from female stations set up.

G. al-Qarashi, Awliyat al-Farooq fi al-Idara wal-Qada (Beirut, 1990), p. 102.

Ibid., p. 115.

Ibid., p. 109.

Ibid., p. 109.

Ibid., p. 303.

Here he had forbidden some people from practicing certain trades without a minimum amount of knowledge. This would later lead to the establishment of guilds for certain trades and skills. The example that the author uses is the butchers. Umar in one incident punished someone by use of the whip for not knowing how to slaughter well. Some of the reports mention that the one punished was abu Loa’la the Magain who would later assassinate Umar. Ibid., p. 239-240.

Ibid., p. 543. The state would pay for the lighting. He also had the Mosques outfitted with straw mats see p. 550. He also was the first to burn incense on Fridays to make the Mosques smell pleasantly for the congregation prayers. See p. 552

Ibid., p. 264.

Ibid., p. 252.

Ibid., p. 258. Lost camels have a special ruling in Islamic jurisprudence as Muslims is not allowed to keep lost camels as is the case with sheep. The logic behind it is that camels are able to take care of themselves and do not need to be looked after. Camels were the mainstay of Bedouins and stolen camels were sometimes the cause of long feuds between tribes which could last generations.

Ibid., p. 222.

Ibid., p. 472. In the enlargement he also made provisions to protect it from floods. He also built a wall surrounding the entire Mosque structure. Regarding the cover of the Kaaba see p. 479. He also enlarged the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina by buying the nearby houses and making major enlargements see p. 512.

Ibid., p. 155- 178. Umar seemed to have held ash-Sham (Greater Syria) in high esteem it is the only place he would visit personally from the newly conquered lands. He would be the one to personally conclude the peace agreement with Jerusalem’s Patriarch. See also at-Tabari’s Tarikh al-Rusul wa’l-Muluk (vol. 3, p. 611) for the details of the discovery of Rock. He would later visit this area three more times.

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/mih/isl/umar.htm#inovo

http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b5863.html

I dont think this is any use to me.

My question is this:

In the email there was a paragraph about the beating of his Sister. Now my question was Umar is a Caliph we (Sunni) look up to and he is one of our leaders. Okay what i dont understand is why such behaviour? I do know it is before he became Muslim. My first Problem is why is it ok and accepted as though it something a hero does? Second Problem even though he was not Muslim back then this sort of behaviour is not right and even in today's world - no one. No matter you are Christian, a Jew, Hindu or you have no religion at all, Beating a women is not accepted and even if claimed she "accidently" got hit. Then hitting his brother in law is not right too.

Our leaders should be Kind, loving, patient etc not angry and agresive. I am very close to changing my faith. But before i do that i need somethings cleared as it makes no sense to me and would like a Sunni Brother / Sister to answer me. Obviously you are not allowed to question in Sunni Forums.

I dont think this is any use to me.

My question is this:

In the email there was a paragraph about the beating of his Sister. Now my question was Umar is a Caliph we (Sunni) look up to and he is one of our leaders. Okay what i dont understand is why such behaviour? I do know it is before he became Muslim. My first Problem is why is it ok and accepted as though it something a hero does? Second Problem even though he was not Muslim back then this sort of behaviour is not right and even in today's world - no one. No matter you are Christian, a Jew, Hindu or you have no religion at all, Beating a women is not accepted and even if claimed she "accidently" got hit. Then hitting his brother in law is not right too.

Our leaders should be Kind, loving, patient etc not angry and agresive. I am very close to changing my faith. But before i do that i need somethings cleared as it makes no sense to me and would like a Sunni Brother / Sister to answer me. Obviously you are not allowed to question in Sunni Forums.

Check my post. Umar(ra) was a very strict and stern man. But he was also very tender. Umar(Ra) would stay up feeding orphans, clothing the sick. Umar(ra) was the man who was worried about a donkey breaking its leg, because Allah may take him into account for it.

If you want to read about someone softer read about Abu Bakr(Ra).

Check my post. Umar(ra) was a very strict and stern man. But he was also very tender. Umar(Ra) would stay up feeding orphans, clothing the sick. Umar(ra) was the man who was worried about a donkey breaking its leg, because Allah may take him into account for it.

If you want to read about someone softer read about Abu Bakr(Ra).

I dont want to read about someone Softer lol

I just want question answered, you surely dont want me to ask again. I only want an answer to that part only. Like i said, My uncle is sometimes nice and sometimes an angry man. We are not talking about a normal Human, we talking about a leader.