Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Dhulfiqar

Trends: Removing Hijab

Rate this topic

Salaamun 'Alaikum,

I've seen an interesting trend amongst our youths (and young adults) -- it's more visible in sisters but it's prevalent in both genders.

I'll focus on the sisters first. Those that donned the scarf (loosely known as the Hijab) are no longer wearing one. My question apart from the poll question is why?

The most common reasons I've heard is, "My actions don't respect the scarf," "I don't have to wear a hijab to be modest, " and "It's not part of the Qur'an."

...why?...

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

(salam) ,

A few people I know in Canada who have taken off the hijab is due to their parents lack of communication. The imposed the hijab on the girls without giving any solid reason. Now that these girls are away from family at Uni, they don't have a core foundation to practive the hijab.

As you have mentioned already, other girls I know tell me that modesty depends on where you live. In the West, since showing your body is a norm, they can get away with covering their body and dont need head scarfs and all those things. She even brought these articles from these random 'scholars' to prove this ideology.... :huh:

i know a couple people who took it off b/c their husband didn't want them to wear it

and for other personal reasons

i know a lot of girls who started wearing fairly bad hijab (see through scarves, hair, etc), and i think that was due to the pressure of not finding a husband or social pressure inside our community to "dress up"

Edited by BintAlHoda

Salaamun 'Alaikum,

I've seen an interesting trend amongst our youths (and young adults) -- it's more visible in sisters but it's prevalent in both genders.

I'll focus on the sisters first. Those that donned the scarf (loosely known as the Hijab) are no longer wearing one. My question apart from the poll question is why?

The most common reasons I've heard is, "My actions don't respect the scarf," "I don't have to wear a hijab to be modest, " and "It's not part of the Qur'an."

...why?...

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

ones i know mostly told me that apparently they are not ready to veil up yet. so sad :(

and later i found out it was all out of the worry feeling for worldly reasons, for instance they got scared to be unable to get a job...or to attract man who could be their future husband :blink: so sad..

Yes i know tons of people and infact i was like this myself when i was younger, probably around 12/13 didnt see any importance of wearing it, then after going to hijab workshops, researching on it started wearing it and alhamdolilah never taken it off.......my aunty and her daughter used to wear it but unfortunatly they'v removed it thinkin that they will be harassed in their community which inhabits non muslims......not even a single muslim apart from them, i'v told them on numerous occasions that its wajib, but i'v come to a stage wear i'v given up giving lectures.......i think one of the reasons is that, firstly my aunty was never taught of the importance, and she believes when she is spiritually better e.g her imaan, then she will observe hijab, which i believe is bizzare

Edited by Tears of Karbala

man I dont know ANY woman personally and close who does proper Hijab. I am serious. No woman I know off and who is close to me takes Hijab like a true Hijabi.

The only folk I see wearing Hijab are those at majlises and I dont even know whether they maintain proper hijab in their daily lives or its just for the majlises.

The problem is because of dajjal who has crept into Muslims without them knowing. The problem is jumping onto the furu ideen without the usul il deen.

One who takes off the hijab isn't learning Islam properly and not taking the time to study the Quran and Sunnah. I'm sure some are good at it, but they are not opening their hearts for the entire thing. Also if they pray, why do they put on the hijab then, and once that it's over they take it off? If Allah doesn't care what's on your head, or wearing the hijab isn't in the Quran, why are you wearing it for Salah?

(salam)

Yes i agree to this that coz of social pressure n pressure of not finding the future husband,girls have taken that step.

Infact firstly many of them dont wear one(thats another issue).Getting back to the point,thou at that time when i use to not wear a hijab,i yet use to appreaciate ladies doing one.

I use to tell my Mom that once I do it,I will continue n its shld b a complete hijab ( not that namesake,that ur hair r being seen n ur attracting men).

I use to find ladies back home wearing hijab frm home to uni n then removing it before entering the uni......I mean that bizzare.... :cry:

U either dont do it or else do it completely.This is what i feel personally.:)

One who takes off the hijab isn't learning Islam properly and not taking the time to study the Quran and Sunnah. I'm sure some are good at it, but they are not opening their hearts for the entire thing. Also if they pray, why do they put on the hijab then, and once that it's over they take it off? If Allah doesn't care what's on your head, or wearing the hijab isn't in the Quran, why are you wearing it for Salah?

(salam)

BTW do you have any hadith that describes how the women's hijab should look like? I'm actually debating someone aboutt his issue and a hadith would really help.

I have heard hadith of covering up and the Quran talks about modesty but is there on the explicitly tells the women to cover their heads with scarves, cover arms uptil wrist, etc..

Jazakallah khair

I personally think , that women who take off their hijab, are the ones on whom it's been impossed on either by parents or husband. They themselve don't realise its importance, they take it as a burden. i know poeple who put it on infront of thier families, but once they r away, hey jus put it in their bags.... lol

I am so happy & satisfied with my hijab, coz I started wearing it when I fully realised its importance, my parents always told me about its virtues but they never forced me to do that.

Edited by AbihA

Salaam Alaikum,

Yea I've noticed this trend too and it's sad :( The reasons I've heard..."It's not mentioned in the Quran" (or "it was just cultural back then"), "don't feel like I get more respect" (partly because our Muslim brothers don't do their part and lower their gaze, etc), "I'm not ready", "I feel like I have to be perfect in everything since I'm representing Islam and if I mess up then I make Islam look bad", "I just don't want to, that's between me and God", "some girls look even more beautiful with the hijab on, than they do without the hijab" ....

:(

wasalaams

(salam)

Yes i agree to this that coz of social pressure n pressure of not finding the future husband,girls have taken that step.

I agree... coz recently my sis got married and while she was getting proposal, many of the guys rejected her on the fact that she observed hijab & she wasn't the so called modern girl.

(salam)

I use to find ladies back home wearing hijab frm home to uni n then removing it before entering the uni......I mean that bizzare.... :cry:

U either dont do it or else do it completely.This is what i feel personally.:)

I see it hapen all the time. and some girls observe Hijab in uni as well, but when there's some event in school or some presentation, they throw it away.

Once a few girls in my class forced me to take of my hijab on a presenttion day... but I refused, I said that I am there to present the topic not myself, and since that day no one ever asked me to do that.

ones i know mostly told me that apparently they are not ready to veil up yet. so sad :(

and later i found out it was all out of the worry feeling for worldly reasons, for instance they got scared to be unable to get a job...or to attract man who could be their future husband :blink: so sad..

Quite justified reasons, isn't it?

"some girls look even more beautiful with the hijab on, than they do without the hijab" ....

That was a cracker. :D

Take my word, it's true. . .

ARGH! when will this battle over hijab end!!!!???

Battle as in jihad-al-nafs, which is generously rewarded by Allah swt?

Ive been quite surprised at the idea of taking hijab off to improve marriage prospects. In my 'neck of the woods', men are specifically asking for muhajiba, pious girls. We have quite a few non-hijab-wearing girls in the community who are wanting to get married but there is no one suitable for them.

I agree fully that sisters must understand why they are wearing hijab. I'll admit that at the age of nine, I didn't have a clue! But I have been blessed by my upbringing alhamdulilah, and as you grow older everything fits into place.

I think if anything Hijab is more liberating in the West because you know your hijab isn't because of peer pressure!

Battle as in jihad-al-nafs, which is generously rewarded by Allah swt?
for instance they got scared to be unable to get a job...or to attract man who could be their future husband blink.gif so sad..

I think we should be more sympathetic here. Although hijab is wajib according to Islam, no one can deny that it is challenging for many girls in non-Muslim countries (and sometimes Muslim countries) to maintain hijab. It's not a case of "jihad of the nafs" and fighting the desire to allure men. There are very real social pressures.

"Scared you can't get a job"... if you are a man (and don't have to deal with hijab), or if your parents/husband have been taking care of you, or you are lucky enough to live in a place where you can find a job easily with hijab, then you can't speak for what these sisters are experiencing. Anti-hijab prejudice is a very real reality. If a sister is scared that she cannot work and she needs to take care of herself or dependent children, I can understand why she would remove hijab, and God is compassionate and forgiving. If you're not in someone else's shoes, you can't speak for what they are going through.

Additionally, the unfortunate fact is, even in many of our own communities, many girls who do cover properly are "passed over" for marriage prospects. Did the Prophet want our girls to do hijab so that they would remain single for their entire lives? Marriage is a foundation of Islam and a human social/psychological necessity. The fact is, in many areas, girls who do cover less have an easier time of marrying. If a girl hits the age of, say, 30, and she's still single, I wouldn't blame her for freaking out and trying to do whatever she can to change that, even if it means violating Islamic law. Now, again, I am not advising girls to remove hijab. It is better to stay with the jihad. But it is a jihad, and these are not small issues. They are very real issues that affect many girls and women, and we should try to be supportive of them, not critical, espsecially when we are not experiencing their experiences.

Yes, I know A LOT (and I emphasize, a lot )of sisters who've taken their hijab off, unfortunately.

The usual execuses you hear "People look at us differently." , "I am gonna be treated better without hijab" , "I won't get a job"--and this is from students, who are well acquainted with everything, not mothers who are unable to put food on the table-- and a surprising one I heard recently from a sister who went back to her home country for a visit, her relatives were all " OMGGG, you live in Canada and you still haven't taken off your hijab??!!" and the next thing you know, she takes her hijab off.

I also know this sister who used to wear this prayer chador-like dress, head to toe, but it is surprising how peer pressure from her friends that she hang around with 24/7 and the exploited life-style they were living drove her into this decision.

It's very unfortunate, and something has to be done about it.

Edited by Noor-Alhuda

"Scared you can't get a job"... if you are a man (and don't have to deal with hijab), or if your parents/husband have been taking care of you, or you are lucky enough to live in a place where you can find a job easily with hijab, then you can't speak for what these sisters are experiencing. Anti-hijab prejudice is a very real reality. If a sister is scared that she cannot work and she needs to take care of herself or dependent children, I can understand why she would remove hijab, and God is compassionate and forgiving. If you're not in someone else's shoes, you can't speak for what they are going through.

(salam) I posted and it disappeared so I will repost.

I totally agree (believe it or not :) ) Unless you are in someone's position, you cannot make valid judgement on their fears or choices.

(salam) I posted and it disappeared so I will repost.

I totally agree (believe it or not :) ) Unless you are in someone's position, you cannot make valid judgement on their fears or choices.

Quite the truth

Guest jenneh19

Sayid Ammar Nakshawani gives a lecture at a university, explaining Hijab in the Quran and how we are blind to see that it actually does exist in Allah's words for women to cover their hair...

each segment is about 10 minutes long, he's a very bright an young individual.. i recommend these videos

Funny.. but i've experienced it the other way around. I had loads of friends who didn't wear the hijab but almost all of them now wear it (except a few).

I think there's an atlantic divide. Over the last 15 years, the number of hijabs in London has just sky rocketed. It's hard to believe this is a western country sometimes. However, they are obviously mostly sunni, maybe shia are less religious. I can certainly believe it if that were the case.

(salam)

I have seen a rise in the number of girls/women who are forced to wear the hijab which then leads them to want to take it off, becuase it wasn't their choice in the first place.

Of the people I know, they seem to have a negative attachemnt to the hijab and then tend not to adopt it once again.

I personally see no point in forcing anyone to do anything, however much we may want it to happen, and i understand the want for them to be taking the hijab off, it is of no meaning to them.

I think its become easier to wear the hijab from a "looking alien" point of view and we have become more accepted in society as inidividuals.

ws

I've met both - those who didn't wear it but now do, and vice versa. I know someone who used to not wear it, but now does, and she believes that men have no right to tell women to wear it or not wear it because they have no clue what wearing the hijab entails, and they'll never have a clue.

Guest Anam Zehra Haider

----

(salam)

In my experience, the two major reasons are social pressures and inconvenience.

Iblees's waswaas.