Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ibn al-Hussain

Muslims Shocked To Learn

Rate this topic

Muslims shocked to learn that crisps contain alcohol

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle3412749.ece

Senior Muslim figures have said that they are shocked that a number of Walkers snacks contain traces of alcohol and eating them is therefore against their religion.

A tiny amount of alcohol is used in some products as a chemical agent to extract flavour.

The use of alcohol was discovered by Besharat Rehman, who owns a halal supermarket in Bradford, and reported in the Eastern Eye. Mr Rehman said: “Our suppliers were unaware of the alcohol. Walkers must make it clear on the packaging so customers can make an informed choice.”

Shuja Shafi, who chairs the food standards committee of the Muslim Council of Britain, said that he intended to investigate. “Certainly we would find it very offensive to have eaten food with alcohol.”

Masood Khawaja, of the Halal Food Authority, said that it had raised labelling issues and alcohol flavouring with Walkers before. “They should have looked into the matter and solved it instead of hiding behind labelling regulations. It does not matter what percentage of alcohol is involved.”

However, a Walkers consumer care team representative was unapologetic. She said: “There is not enough room on the packaging to list things beyond allergy-causing ingredients that can make people ill. A minimal amount of alcohol is used to extract the flavour of some crisps.”

Snacks that are likely to be boycotted by Muslims are Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli, Doritos Chilli Heat Wave and Quavers Cheese.

Far as I am aware, tiny amounts of industrial alcohol for such a use is not forbidden.

But the Sunnis/Wahhabis won't understand this!

Also, there are 'n' number of eatables which contain so many forbidden ingredients and Muslims eat, drink and don't know about it.

(salam)

This issue is nothing new, in that it is now well known that many additives are extracted using alcohol. A website i have found useful is called world of islam, they have a list of e-numbers and additives, stating their source and how they are extracted.

fee aman Allah

But the Sunnis/Wahhabis won't understand this!

Also, there are 'n' number of eatables which contain so many forbidden ingredients and Muslims eat, drink and don't know about it.

Reminds me of the number of translations I have of the Quran; one says alcohol, one says liquor and another one says strong liquor.

I think people forget is that the sin isn't the alcohol, the sin that of intoxication. That is what the sin is. The sin of intoxication inhibits us to from being good Muslims and doing what we are supposed to do. There are a couple of stories IIRC in the hadiths regarding some early Muslims who would turn up drunk to prayers and Muhammad being angry that his followers were abusing alcohol to the point it was controlling their lives.

Edited by Jalal

Reminds me of the number of translations I have of the Quran; one says alcohol, one says liquor and another one says strong liquor.

I think people forget is that the sin isn't the alcohol, the sin that of intoxication.

The sin is intoxicants.

Some people try and wriggle and say drinking alcohol is ok, as long as you don't get drunk. That's wrong IMHO.

But the issue of miniscule quantities that is being discussed here may be another matter.

The sin is intoxicants.

Some people try and wriggle and say drinking alcohol is ok, as long as you don't get drunk. That's wrong IMHO.

But the issue of miniscule quantities that is being discussed here may be another matter.

I was just about to jump on you until I saw IMHO lol

We have different views on the matter, and I respect you right to hold that opinion.

I was just about to jump on you until I saw IMHO lol

We have different views on the matter, and I respect you right to hold that opinion.

I take it that in your opinion the occasional glass of wine is ok?

I take it that in your opinion the occasional glass of wine is ok?

Hmm, considering my last glass of wine was 2 months ago, I tend to be a prude. I'm not putting anything out there for advice, its up to the individual to look at all the evidence, then come to the conclusion themselves.

I was wondering if sin is in the liquid or in the effects that it creates and the ways in which it is harmful?

Well, there are a number of versus's that talk about the positives too; and in science there is evidence that moderation can be beneficial.

With that being said, I'm not putting advice out there, just saying to evaluate it based on all the evidence.

There are far more important things to worry about and that not eating a chocolate bar or whatever isn't a big deal, just eat another chocolate. If we do eat chocolate that is haraam and we don’t know then stop crying about it, if you didn’t know then its all good. How about we worry about the things that are more important like prayers reading the Qur’an and so on. How about we perfect those areas and stop being so obsessive

No matter what anyone says, Alcohol is haraam !!!!!..There might be versus in the Qur’an which states that alcohol has good effects, but the bad aspects of alcohol outweighs the good aspects. Besides, we can be healthy by doing other things, you don't have to need alcohol to be "healthy"

There are far more important things to worry about and that not eating a chocolate bar or whatever isn't a big deal, just eat another chocolate. If we do eat chocolate that is haraam and we don’t know then stop crying about it, if you didn’t know then its all good. How about we worry about the things that are more important like prayers reading the Qur’an and so on. How about we perfect those areas and stop being so obsessive

No matter what anyone says, Alcohol is haraam !!!!!..There might be versus in the Qur’an which states that alcohol has good effects, but the bad aspects of alcohol outweighs the good aspects. Besides, we can be healthy by doing other things, you don't have to need alcohol to be "healthy"

Nor do we 'need' half what is on the shelf shops or at the local food places; should all foods except the basic's be considered haraam?

It is so easy to become relaxed about having a small quantity of alcohol; but why make it an option when alcohol is haraam? it is the potential to consume larger quantities of alcohol in time that has destoyed so many people, so abstinence is better than moderation.

This issue of crisps however is interesting because your intention (you'd think) is to consume flavoured, fried potato thingies, not alcohol. But with other food items such as brandy-filled chocolates eg, it is intended that you will enjoy the flavour of the alcohol. So I'm unsure, but

Ýóãóä íóÚúãóáú ãöËúÞóÇáó ÐóÑøóÉò ÎóíúÑðÇ íóÑóåõ {7}

[shakir 99:7] So. he who has done an atom's weight of good shall see it.

æóãóä íóÚúãóáú ãöËúÞóÇáó ÐóÑøóÉò ÔóÑøðÇ íóÑóåõ {8}

[shakir 99:8] And he who has done an atom's weight of evil shall see it.

Keep these verses in mind always, it makes a 'small quantity' seem suddenly very large.

Here in Norway they have alcohol in the icecream :o ! Very funny for all the muslim kids here! :wacko: The only one that doesn't have it, is Lion from Nestle.

yeah vanilla extract and stuff are extracted with alcohol.

If you are with sistani you are allowed to have it and i made a mistake by telling shiachatters it was haram.

Though i still avoid it coco cola and all other stuff with alcohol used for extraction purposes are halal.

salaamunulaykum wr wb.

Alcohol is said to evaporate pretty quick, quicker than water. From what I understand, the herbal extracts that were extracted with alcohol should be permissible if in fact it is in dry form when used or in final product which tells us no ethanol is present from being evaporated. But be careful of liquids and ice creams which may have alcohols or maybe even glazed products which I'm not sure how the evaporation from glazes works. But if the ingredients states "natural flavors" on snack crackers, then I think you can rest assured no ethanol will be present. InshaAllah this will help.