In the Name of God بسم الله

Youtube Blocked In Pakistan By Pta's Orders

Rate this topic

Nocturne

• Advanced Member

According to some reports, YouTube, the popular video sharing website has been blocked by ISPs in Pakistan after orders of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority.

Why?

Vote rigging in Karachi videos were uploaded on You Tube yesterday showing Government looking officials perhaps including IB and people from other Intelligence agencies, sitting and stamping all ballet papers by themselves...

Some of it was shown on Geo TV sometime ago.

• Advanced Member
According to some reports, YouTube, the popular video sharing website has been blocked by ISPs in Pakistan after orders of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority.

Why?

Vote rigging in Karachi videos were uploaded on You Tube yesterday showing Government looking officials perhaps including IB and people from other Intelligence agencies, sitting and stamping all ballet papers by themselves...

Some of it was shown on Geo TV sometime ago.

Thats really sad.

• Advanced Member
(salam)

Yah I heard about it. What's up, first they block blogspot and now this. Can't you use a proxy though?

Proxy? Why should I? lol I mean yeah my ISP has blocked it too but I don't visit You Tube anyway thanks to the [Edited Out]py Internet speed. As for the said Vote rigging vidoes, channels are already showing it, Geo TV at least. They can't stop them.

• Advanced Member

I am unable to confirm this reason.

Any reference?

http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=97814

According to an official notification sent out by the PTA to major ISPs, the ban was supposed to be imposed on a specific URL, featuring a 04:58-minute-long trailer from Dutch politician Geert Wilders’ controversial anti-Islam movie. The video had been uploaded to the website on January 28, 2008, and had remained largely unnoticed by the internet-savvy community in Pakistan.

Local ISPs went a step ahead, however, and blocked the entire youtube.com domain. The delayed PTA response to the January 28 video, coupled with the domain block, and the fact that everything else related to Geert Wilders is still available all over the internet, sparked speculation on mailing lists and blogs, and people wondered whether the youtube.com blackout was connected to some other videos that had been uploaded to the site on Thursday. These videos implicated a certain political party in “election rigging†and showed party activists stamping ballot papers en masse.

ISPs have however, denied these reports, and in emails sent out to subscribers, officials from these companies have stuck with the PTA’s version of events. Some have even asked users to write to the youtube.com administrators to “remove the objectionable web content/movies because this removal would enable the authorities to order un-blocking of this website.â€

Edited by Excalibur

• Veteran Member
You Tube yesterday showing Government looking officials perhaps including IB and people from other Intelligence agencies, sitting and stamping all ballet papers by themselves...

Better watch this before it gets taken off as well:

Vsg pointed out on another forum that if you guys visit any Pakistani blogs, or even Youtube, you will notice that there are tons of hidden camera videos of MQM thugs casting fake ballots in Karachi. So surprise surprise YOUTUBE has been blocked within few hours of those videos being published.

Edited by Ali_Imran

• Veteran Member

There have been some isolated vote-rigging incidents but elections as a whole survived any systemic and large scale vote rigging.

I personally think most of this happened in MQM dominated areas - the party which is defined by its terror, fear, corruption and murderous leaders.

• Advanced Member
I am unable to confirm this reason.

Any reference?

Any reference? It was blocked the next day of those videos upload and I wonder why You Tube is deleting Election Rigging videos but allowing material which hurts the Muslim feelings and I don't think BLOCKING does any good in such cases.

• Advanced Member
There have been some isolated vote-rigging incidents but elections as a whole survived any systemic and large scale vote rigging.

I personally think most of this happened in MQM dominated areas - the party which is defined by its terror, fear, corruption and murderous leaders.

just to add a bit to this, most of these videos were from NA250, a seat traditionally won by PPP or PMN(N). This time around PPP and PML(N) had a seat adjustment here and Mirza Aktyar Baig was the joint candidate for both the parties. But interestingly enough, at the end of the day MQM's Khush Bakth Shujaat won the seat with a margin of "over 10000 votes" !!!

Similarly, in NA 249 Dr Farooq Sattar was trailing behind PPP's Abdul Habib Memon all day long, but when the final numbers came in, Dr Sattar had won with a lead of 12000 votes. Not only that, even in the constituencies which are considered MQM strong holds, their candidates got "three" times the votes they got in 2002.

• Advanced Member

I personally know someone who voted twice, without having a voter registration card!

I was saddened by how paki officials were covering this up before the world media as an action to block 'unislamic' content (this was CNN's initial headline). Now if I sent Lanat to these people nobody should be offended!