Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
adore2lights

Internet Safety - Beware

Rate this topic

I think sisters should me more wary of some OTHER SISTERS, or perv-ETTES as they may also be referred to. I know that is going to be met with a load of abuse by the usual suspects :sick: (you know who you haters are), but I don't care. Most intelligent girls will have a finely tuned 6th sense when it comes to pervy men. We all know when a man is trying it on, and we know (hopefully) to stay the heck away.

The pervert radar does not always detect pervs of the same sex, if a girl is being kind and claiming to be helping you, you might not think anything of it. It's messed up. A boy being a perv is something you might expect, when a girl does is it, it is unexpected and leaves a deep psychological impression. It is horrible to think about but it happens.

The original post might have about that weird perv who managed to defy science and get pregnant only to kill off his husband all in the name of getting some msns. But the fact is we aren't safe from anyone-male or female.

Edited by Hanieh

oopsie! I just posted asking for some shia sisters in this area. I sure don't want to give my information any one claiming to be a sister and living in this area. What was I thinking? Getting to know through internet is never safe. Thanks for the reminder. I will delete my post. :)

(salam)

ShiaChat Member Advisory

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

We would like to take the time to remind everyone of ONLINE SAFETY TIPS and SHIACHAT POLICIES designed to promote a safe online experience.

1) NEVER give out PERSONAL INFORMATION, such as your NAME, PHONE #, or EMAIL ADDRESS to someone you meet online. Many people "seem nice" behind the computer screen but then take advantage of this information. We advise sisters in particular to be cautious. Don't be naive and trust someone just because they say they are Muslim or Muslim and Shi’a and practicing. Be cautious!

If you have given out your email address, telephone number, or home address and feel like you are in an unsafe situation, never hesitate to contact local law enforcement. It is their responsibility to take care of these matters.

2) DO NOT post on behalf of banned members. Banned members are banned for a reason. It has come to our attention that there has been an increasing issue with banned members requesting others to post for them. You do NOT have to post on behalf of a banned member just because he or she asks you to.

3) Use your good intuition when dealing with people online. If something sounds inappropriate, it probably is!

4) Please report online abuses (such as harassment, stalking, inappropriate comments, inappropriate PM's) to the administration.

5) Please note that identity theft is a legal crime and punishable in many areas, including the United States. This includes but is not limited to sending out an email using someone else's email address (email masking software). The administrators here can and will track all abuses committed through this site.

6) Please note that any inappropriate quoting of ShiaChat posts on other online forums will be reported to the administrators of those forums. While posts on ShiaChat are public, many members discuss sensitive/private issues, and those posts need to be treated with respect and not taken out of context.

(Note: In general, quoting of ShiaChat posts on other forums is fine. Many members here say valuable things. By "inappropriate quoting", we mean quoting of posts in a way that distorts the original meaning and brings disrespect on the author or on ShiaChat as a whole. Examples: quoting a request for marital or fiqh advice to produce a sexually explicit out of context post on another forum)

The ShiaChat administration will do everything it can to respond to complaints about harassment or misuse of the site. In the unfortunate event of illegal action, we will do whatever we can to involve the appropriate law enforcement agencies. However, we would also like to remind you that YOU are ultimately responsible for your online safety.

Take care and best wishes for a safe and happy online experience!

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234949287-member-advisory/?p=1716925

There are allot of stuff we should be aware off, honestly.

I don't trust internet, & sometimes the people on it as well, & sometimes no matter how much you think you know someone to share your info with, they'd turn out to be some creep.

I remember a guy messaging me on some site, i shared a little information about me, he decided to message me & not leg go, i begged him to leave me alone, he kept on messaging, i blocked him, he made different accounts to message me on again, he was asking who i was, & my background, my dads name & last name & he assumed that he knew me, he was telling me that if i don't tell him he's gonna do something, i didn't, & i'm pretty sure i don't know the guy ( in real life) he had soo much pictures & he was a very old member, so i have never seen him before!

Next morning, he sent me a picture of my house, literally he came like at 5 am & took a picture, our car was there & everything, he sent it to me & told me that he found out where i live & he came over just to take a picture, & i honestly don't know how, internet is scary. I'm now scared to be home alone, he could just come at anytime.

he tells me if i don't tell him stuff, he can just come over & do something threaten me since he knows where i live, but Alhamdulilah, he's gone now....

It's shocking what people can find about you if they try. Someone once got into my personal chat conversations and attempted to terrorize me by quoting stuff I'd only shared with family and one or two close friends. That's why I don't online chat anymore, or barely do.

Assalamu alaikum sisters, 

Please help me. 

In here there was post that someone has created a watsapp group and I posted my contact number in her profile and now some random person texted me.  I want my post to be removed.  Any suggestions please sisters. :(

Salam All (especially sisters)

1. Please understand that all members of staff working for the companies whose apps you use - such as instagram, snapchat, facebook, whatsapp etc all have access to all of your details, including hijabless pictures you might send to friends. I cannot stress this enough that it is NOT ok to share hijabless pictures of yourself via apps even if its just between your girlfriends. the kuffar are crazy about seeing "whats under the hijab" and stalk hijabi accounts to catch these sorts of pics. 

2. any guy that approaches you online is more than likely going to hit on you at some point. keep it formal, keep it distant. don't make friends with the opposite gender. you might say "lol" to a guy and he will instantly start thinking of names for your future children. 

3. oh my god why do I need to say this - never. EVER. give any personal identifiable information about yourself online. not your real name, not your phone number, email or anything. all a stalker has to do is type your name here to find your home address. you can search for people via their email addresses on all main social media websites too. its very easy to find people online these days apart from those who have gone dark

4. be like hidden pearls, not like the one riding a camel into battle. you don't need to live your life on social media. if nothing else it will stop giving people chance to give you the evil eye

5. anything that almost any male ever says to you is a lie. there are always a few exceptions of course but assume a guy is guilty until he gives you reason to prove his trustworthyness

On 12/14/2016 at 5:38 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

Salam All (especially sisters)

2. any guy that approaches you online is more than likely going to hit on you at some point. keep it formal, keep it distant. don't make friends with the opposite gender. you might say "lol" to a guy and he will instantly start thinking of names for your future children. 

I cannot stress this thing enough to the sistas 

Sisters, due to stalking, do not use your own real photo as your avatar at ShiaChat. In addition, do not use the same avatar or cover photo on other social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. Stalkers will see the similar avatar or cover photo and think it is you. Knowing your real name, they can search for your phone number and address. 

Attention: Beware of Online Predators

Dear All

Social media (which includes forums, social network platforms, Wikipedia, blogs etc.) is a great way of learning and communication. It is also a means to connect with people worldwide. There is however a risk of young people becoming victims of online predators just as there is a threat in real life. Online predators usually incite teenagers to do things that may be rebellious, ‘cool’, unorthodox and, bluntly speaking, acts of sexual nature. Predators may also look for vulnerabilities of others and prey on the victims in a subtle or direct manner. Shiachat is no exception to such threats and the leadership team treats them seriously. While we do our best to investigate and even inform authorities (if needed), we would like to raise awareness that online predators may be lurking in our community. Things that you need to keep in mind about predators:

1. Just because people are knowledgeable and appear religious does not mean we can trust them blindly. Predators may be wearing cloak of nobility, intellect, religiosity, liberalism and modern enlightenment.
  2. Predators may encourage you to do things that may be legal or generally acceptable based on Islamic traditions, but highly controversial and sensitive in your family, community and society. For example, temporary marriage with a view to permanent marriage in the future, or secret meetings/dating e.t.c. Participation in such activities may pose serious risk since the predator may blackmail you in the future, abuse or mistreat you or simply betray your trust. Not to mention guilt and internal conflicts within your family and community. Please be ware. If it helps, create a separate anonymous account to discuss your situation with an admin or a mod before you take any step that may negatively affect you in the long term (You can also refer to our Brothers & Sisters Consultancy Groups)
  3. Predators may attempt to establish communication on external platforms (besides Shiachat)
  4. Predators may keep most of their discussions in private (It is in your best interest to keep personal communication to a minimum and professional in nature)
  5. Predators may ask questions of personal nature in order to prey on your vulnerabilities in the future
  6. Predators may share sad stories about themselves and may go as far as claiming that they are suicidal ( please refer them to senior members or mods rather than trying to assist through personal conversations)

Your Cooperation is needed:
  1. If there is doubt about someone’s activities on the forum, please collect as much data as you can and forward to the admins.
  2. If someone contacts you in private and continues to hassle you despite polite decline, please report him or her to the admins or mods
  3. The above mentioned criteria is also applicable to ShiaChat Leadership Team. So please report any mod or admin if you have reasonable grounds to believe that he or she is acting strangely or not within boundaries of professionalism.
  4. If you wish to discuss personal issue on the forums, please avoid disclosing private information (names, location e.t.c). Avoid sharing information that will make it easier for people to identify you. We also suggest to be cautious when uploading or sharing personal pictures. If you recall posting emotional stuff and confessions, definitely should avoid posting pics. Create a new (clean) profile for that purpose.

Regards
SC Team