Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

When Imam Mehdi's (as) Name Is Mentioned

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
(salam)

I think it's common knowledge that whenever the name of the 12th Imam is mentioned, you should stand, place your right hand on your head and bow your head.

Does anyone know where this originated from? Hadith, by who?

(wasalam)

I do not know the original source of this Hadith, but all I can say is that this gesture is out of respect of the Holy Imam, who is alive and is in Ghaybat (Occultation).

I personally believe that this is done because whenever we stand before someone of a higher authority, for example, our Boss at the workplace, we show our utmost respect to him, irrespective of the fact of what lies deep within our hearts! So why not show our Beloved and most Awaited Imam our love by this simple gesture??

May Allah hasten Our Imam's Return! Ameen.

• Veteran Member
(salam)

I think it's common knowledge that whenever the name of the 12th Imam is mentioned, you should stand, place your right hand on your head and bow your head.

Does anyone know where this originated from? Hadith, by who?

Definitely a form of showing respect to the 12th Imam. I believe the placing of the hand might be an Arab or Persian method of showing repect. But the bowing of the head is a universal way of showing respect.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, bowing the head and standing up are universal gestures to show respect... i was actually more interested in the origin of placing our right hand on our head. I just thought maybe it was in a hadith or something... i guess that also may be universally understood as showing respect. Like army men and soldiers for example.

Yes, may Allah hasten his reappearance.. ameen.

• Advanced Member

It is only when a particular title of the Imam (ATF) is mentioned - al-Qa'im (ATF) and it did orginate from the Aimmah (A).

Rising of the People when Naming the Qa'im

Dr. Jalali: I am sure you know that it is customary among the people to rise when the word qa'im is mentioned. Is there any tradition to support this custom?

Mr. Hoshyar: This custom is common among all the Shi'is around the world. It is related that Imam Rida was present in one of the gatherings in Khurasan when the word qa'im was mentioned. At that he rose, put his right hand on his head and said: "O God, make his deliverance soon and his rising graceful!"[6]

This custom was prevalent even during the time of Imam Sadiq (peace be upon him). Somebody had asked him: "Why is it that one should rise (qiyam) when the Qa'im is mentioned?" The Imam replied:

The one who is entrusted with the command (sahib al-'amr) will have a very long occultation. Because of the utmost love that he has for his followers, whoever remembers him with his title Qa'im, which carries the meaning of awaiting his rule and conveys the impact of the longing for him, he too will show his concern for the faithful. Since the person remembering the Qa'im is also attended by him, it is appropriate to rise out of respect for him and pray to God for his early deliverance.[7]

Hence, the Shi'i custom has a religious root and reflects respect and conveys an aspiration, although whether such an act is obligatory or not is unknown.

6] Ilzam al-nasib (1351 AH edition), p. 81.

7] Ibid.

http://www.al-islam.org/mahdi/nontl/Chap-6.htm

• Advanced Member

I have learned this practice from my heritage (india)......Its to the point that it makes me uncomfortable (I guess because im troubling the other person, or breaking the conversation, or it creeps me out like there is a 3rd person in the room) and that is why I rarely utter his name and always refer to him rather than directly speak about him. It also makes me uncomfortable becuase I might be lying around on the sofa at home talking about him to relatives, and am not in wuzu, or not dressed appropriately (because im around my mahrams), thats wierd. I creep myself out.

At the end of a majlis, when everybody is reciting the final salam/ziarat (where you salam all the Ahlul Bayt) I am pretty much the only one who doesnt just point the finger, but actually bows down with the hand on the head when we get to the Last Imam (af).

I have learned this practice from my heritage (india)......Its to the point that it makes me uncomfortable (I guess because im troubling the other person, or breaking the conversation, or it creeps me out like there is a 3rd person in the room) and that is why I rarely utter his name and always refer to him rather than directly speak about him. It also makes me uncomfortable becuase I might be lying around on the sofa at home talking about him to relatives, and am not in wuzu, or not dressed appropriately (because im around my mahrams), thats wierd. I creep myself out.

At the end of a majlis, when everybody is reciting the final salam/ziarat (where you salam all the Ahlul Bayt) I am pretty much the only one who doesnt just point the finger, but actually bows down with the hand on the head when we get to the Last Imam (af).

(salam)

May Allah SWT Hasten our Imam's reappearance..AJF..Ameen

Peace!

Edited by lfatima
  • Advanced Member

ive always been under the assumption that its a khoja thing.. but many others have jumped on the bandwagon

• Advanced Member

Yeah we r also very few here who do touch the head and bow out of respect.

At ziyarat time I dunno why they point the fingers... we point fingers to the direction of their mazzar... and Imam Mahdi (atfs) is alive... so no place to point to... isnt it?