Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

No Shirt?

Rate this topic

Strictly speaking, a man's awrah is understood to be the front and back privates. (Precaution may lie in covering from navel to knee as well, though I'm not sure on that.) Not that I'm saying this is the reason for it mind you, but with men often being more likely be the laborers and such, sometimes in the midst of scorching hot work I could understand why some folks might take their shirt off. (Think of a field worker in a third world country wearing a loin cloth for instance.)

Personally though, going out shirtless in public is not something I'd be comfortable doing. (Sometimes I can be seen with a t-shirt, but most often I'm a long shirt fellow. I don't even own a pair of shorts currently...)

Edited by macisaac
  • Advanced Member

not haraam but not good behaviour against akhlaaq

I dislike my sons wondering round the house to and from the bathroom for instance in just towels or boxers even in front of their sister def not in front of cousins or others.

but it is permissable for men to wear swimming shorts in public and for women to see them not actually look at them for pleasure etc

• Advanced Member

Actually according to Sistani, a woman even looking innocently with no lust at all at a shirtless man is not allowed:

485.Question: Is wrestling in its various forms permissible for women? And are women allowed to look at the semi-naked bodies of the wrestlers live or on television without lustful thoughts?

Answer: Wrestling is not allowed, if it involves hurting oneself or the opponent when it crosses the boundary of haram. It is a obligatory on a woman not to look at the body of a man, innocently, even on television, with the exception of the head, hands and feet, and other parts that are not normally concealed.

486.Question: Is it permissible for women to look at the bodies of men who take off their clothes [i.e., shirts] during the mourning ceremony [when they do the mãtam]?

Answer: Based on obligatory precaution, they should refrain from it.

-Code of practise for Muslims in the West

• Advanced Member
Actually according to Sistani, a woman even looking innocently with no lust at all at a shirtless man is not allowed:

485.Question: Is wrestling in its various forms permissible for women? And are women allowed to look at the semi-naked bodies of the wrestlers live or on television without lustful thoughts?

Answer: Wrestling is not allowed, if it involves hurting oneself or the opponent when it crosses the boundary of haram. It is a obligatory on a woman not to look at the body of a man, innocently, even on television, with the exception of the head, hands and feet, and other parts that are not normally concealed.

486.Question: Is it permissible for women to look at the bodies of men who take off their clothes [i.e., shirts] during the mourning ceremony [when they do the mãtam]?

Answer: Based on obligatory precaution, they should refrain from it.

I concur with whatever limited knowledge of these fatwas I have.

• Advanced Member

Shouldn't every guy know this stuff?

Is it allowed to go out without a shirt? Playing soccer, volleyball, mowing the yard, family bbq, etc. Obviously you're not going to be heading out shopping and to the masjid w.o a shirt (no shirt no shoes no service :P)

Is it allowed to make SALAAT w/o a shirt? Of course I don't mean duah....

• Advanced Member

(salam)

There's a lot of opinions on here...someone should ask an A'lim about this. I have posted a detailed question to Ayatullah Sistani's office in London. Insh'Allah I will get an answer soon. Though I don't like saying something I am not sure of, I asked my father and he is pretty sure that a man can be shirtless and wear short shorts..etc. in PRAYER. As for in public, the fact that he must cover is not because it is Awrah, rather because of other factors such as Lubas Shura, women, dignity, etc. etc. However, it is best to wait for an answer from his eminince, Aytullah Sistani. Sis Madre Zahra has a very good point though, it seems us women know our laws, better than the brothers do!

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Okay, I got the answer. I'm a bit surprised though...

1. In detail, what is the private parts (Awrah) of a man?

2. Can a muslim man take off his shirt in public?

3. Is it permissible for a man to wear tight pants, that reveal the

contours

of the leg and thighs?

4. Is it permissible for a man to reveal his chest and legs in prayer?

Need specific answers, Jazakum Allah khaer.

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

1- the private parts (Awrah) of a man is the penis, testicle and anus

2-3-4- there is no problem in that

Wassalamu Alaykum

The above is a reply from the office of Ayatullah Sistani in London, on the site, www.najaf.org

Edited by Sukayna866
  • Advanced Member

My husband refuses to wear short-sleeved shirt and short pants outside. I wouldn't mind if he wear them though because it is allowed, but he believes it is against the rule of modesty. We watched a documentary one time about a western guy who visited Iran. He was requested nicely to wear long-sleeved shirt instead of a short one. I don't mind it either way though. (but I would feel uncomfortable if a man is walking bare-chested in public, I'd just look away)

• Site Administrators

(salam)

Firstly as far as I remember, Men are to cover their legs atleast upto the knees anytime they are in public. There is a saying of Imam Ali " It is inappropriate for men to tuck the clothes up the knees when they sit with others" (1)

Regarding shirts, it should be obvious that men are to wear shirts and cover their bodies while praying. As Imam Ali says, " You should not stand before Your Lord the Majestic - in prayers - while you are wearing transparent clothes " (2)

So if we can't wear transparent clothes, I doubt there is a choice to offer prayers without wearing a shirt at all, unless extreme circumstances prevent us from wearing one.

Fi-Amanillah

===============

1) & 2) Tuhaf al Uqoul

• Advanced Member

The rules in islamic sharia iran (12 lawyers and 12 Foghaha) are the following (please dont consider this as 100% entirely accurate it is from what i experience in Iran myself and the laws may slightly differ but nonetheless it is a mostly accurate description)

Men:

tshirt is allowed..a loose tshirt (tight is very discouraged) and that is the least what you can wear (shirtless is not allowed)

preferably you wear long sleeves ofcourse and short pants are not allowed (pants that come to ur knees) but 3 quarter pants are somewhat permitted but encouraged is ofcourse to just wear pants

for women:

Hejab that covers her head and whole body all loose so you dont show especially your bossoms and backside and ur neck has to also be covered completely

and no brother i dont believe u can pray with no shirt lol actually i have never heard of any man praying without a shirt u have to wear long pants at least can u imagine going to the mosque and praying with no shirt on? wow

Edited by Rubaiyat
  • Advanced Member

As it has already been explained in post #3, men (Shia's) are required only to cover their privates. Even during Salat, the obligation is on covering the privates alone, though it is recommended to cover from the navel to the knee.

796. While offering prayers, a man should cover his private parts even if no one is looking at him, and preference is that he should also cover his body from the navel up to the knee.

http://al-islam.org/laws/rulesofnamaaz1.html#796

Edited by fyst
  • Advanced Member

fyst although i have a great respect for Mr. Ayatola Sestani do do you have any scholar and their fatva that is living in an islamic ruled country (iran or sowdi arabia) to back up your claim

that praying without a shirt is allowed

since 1. ur post does not say u can pray halfnaked (without at least a tshirt and i cannot imagine even u daring to go inside of a mosque without)

2. praying halfnaked i have never heard of it

Sorry brother but i dont see the logic in that..

why do women wear hejab when they pray? even those that dont wear hejab in real life they put their hejab when praying

because u have to be modest and humble when u kneel before Allah brother

we have already established You CANNOT go in public with your shirt off and some good brothers will teach you that when u come to iran lol

but let alone pray to Allah (mota'al) ??????

Edited by Rubaiyat
  • Advanced Member
fyst although i have a great respect for Mr. Ayatola Sestani do do you have any scholar and their fatva that is living in an islamic ruled country (iran or sowdi arabia) to back up your claim that praying without a shirt is allowed

This is not just the fatwa of Ayatullah Sistani. Practically all maraja'i give the same ruling. You should read up on Islamic laws from the works of scholars before passing your own misinformed opinions about them. Here is the same ruling from Ayatullah Naser Makarem Shirazi, who is based in Iran:

Issue No.726- While offering prayers, a man should cover his private parts even if no one is looking at him, and preference is that he should also cover his body from the navel up to the knee. And even much better than that is that he should have on the complete dress that he usually has on in front of the respected people.

http://www.makaremshirazi.org/books/englis.../019.htm#link68

since 1. ur post does not say u can pray halfnaked

Actually, it does. Read it again.

we have already established You CANNOT go in public with your shirt off

No, this has NOT been "established". Don't pass your own opinions as Islamic laws.

• Advanced Member

Also, the same ruling by Aytullah Ruhollah Khomeini (qas):

---------------------

Problem # 3 The private parts of a man which are required to be covered and are forbidden to look at during prayer are the anus, the penis and both the testicles. It is more cautious to cover the indistinct figure of the private parts visible from behind the clothes without distinction of the color.

As regards the parts of a woman which are required to be covered during prayer, they include her entire body including even her head and hair excluding the part of her face which is required to be washed for ablution and both her hands upto the forearms and both feet upto the ankles. It is obligatory to cover a little of the parts mentioned as excluded from being covered.

---------------------

http://www.al-shia.com/html/eng/books/fiqh.../14.html#link22

• Advanced Member

Fyst, i don't need to read Fegh books on this subject because i am from an islamic country with islamic rules so i am telling u just by walking around in Tehran if it is allowed or not allowed by Shar'i (islamic law) not from internet sites

If only u would know what the rule of law was during the time of emam Khomeini, today you CANNOT walk down the street with no shirt..This is the Islamic rule of Iran during Khamanei (moderate) today where girls walk with half hejab but a man cannot walk without Tshirt!

Khomeini (ra) had much stricter rules and it is UNHEARD OF COMPLETELY that such a thing is permitted

i dont know what you are trying to sell with your websites and maybe they are just mistranslated (by looking at the title it is translated from persian by a paki or arab) but i will research your fatava further and thank you for the reference

I hope you come to Iran some day and pray in a mosque or just walk around halfnaked

it is like Bruce willis in brooklyn holding his "I hate n*gger" sign lol

Brother really have u ever prayed in the mosque with no shirt? Have you ever even prayed in a mosque? Sorry that i ask but ur comment is strange..Do you think the Imam is just going to let a halfnaked man pray behind him and the sisters behind you watching? stagforalla

It is ordered in the Goran to cover during prayer brother in soorat ol A-raf and i will find u some other references also

and actually it is ordered for us men to cover at all time as a part of our male Hejab

Edited by Rubaiyat
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

It is true that the majority of the ulema allow a man to be shirtless. See the following small article, with all the rulings from numerous prominent maraja. The ones who do only do so by ihtiyat wajib. Maybe there is some extra clause, like "if his being shirtless leads to women looking at him lustfully then it is haram" but at least in principle all of them say that a man can be in front of non-mahram women shirtless.

http://www.al-mubin.org/articles%20in%20pd...20for%20Men.pdf

• Advanced Member
Brother really have u ever prayed in the mosque with no shirt? Have you ever even prayed in a mosque? Sorry that i ask but ur comment is strange..Do you think the Imam is just going to let a halfnaked man pray behind him and the sisters behind you watching? stagforalla

and actually it is ordered for us men to cover at all time as a part of our male Hejab

(salam)

Just because it is halal to do, it doesnt suddenly mean that it is a must. Halal only gives you the minimum, of course it is much better to be covered, and may even be an act that Allah(swt) will like, but the fatwa says that it will not be haram if you do go shirtless, regardless or where you are, or if is in prayer or not. Sometimes, in certain cases, men may need this fatwa...and of course they don't want to commit haram. Allah'u A'lam.

• Advanced Member
Fyst, i don't need to read Fegh books on this subject because i am from an islamic country with islamic rules so i am telling u just by walking around in Tehran if it is allowed or not allowed by Shar'i (islamic law) not from internet sites

You can believe what you want, but the Shi'a scholars disagree with you.

No, it isn't. You just made that up.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

1. In detail, what is the private parts (Awrah) of a man?

2. Can a muslim man take off his shirt in public?

3. Is it permissible for a man to wear tight pants, that reveal the

contours

of the leg and thighs?

4. Is it permissible for a man to reveal his chest and legs in prayer?

Need specific answers, Jazakum Allah khaer.

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

1- the private parts (Awrah) of a man is the penis, testicle and anus

2-3-4- there is no problem in that

Wassalamu Alaykum

The above is a reply from the office of Ayatullah Sistani in London, on the site, www.najaf.org

I'm a little surprised/confused as well. If it's haram for women to look at a man's body ("with the exception of the head, hands and feet, and other parts that are not normally concealed"), then why are men allowed to go out shirtless?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
I'm a little surprised/confused as well. If it's haram for women to look at a man's body ("with the exception of the head, hands and feet, and other parts that are not normally concealed"), then why are men allowed to go out shirtless?

I don't know - but all I can say, you should be thankful I don't go out shirtless lol

I think it is the fact that women are less visually stimulated people where as men are more visually stimulated.

• 11 years later...
  • Veteran Member
On 1/31/2008 at 6:39 AM, Sukayna866 said:

(salam)

The above is a reply from the office of Ayatullah Sistani in London, on the site, www.Najaf.org

Sayid Sistani's office answered that men can pray shirtless and with legs showing?

Because honestly, it is sweltering like mad tonight. I am tempted to pray in boxers. This answer appears to confirm it's ok though

Update: so just performed salatul isha as above...and you know, it didn't feel too bad or weird as I thought it would. Kinda liberating. Not that I'm encouraging or recommending, but wallah it's been a record late August heatwave, stifling hot. Our deen is not one of hardship, so alhamdulillah

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed
  • Moderators

Praying shirtless is if you are so poor that you don't have a shirt. Hope some brothers didn't spend a lot of money to buy that mustahabb turban if they aren't going to use it. :itsok:

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Or if you don't have time to wash your shirt to make it tahir.
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Which marja said this please?

Common knowledge. In the turban thread @Ibn al-Hussain mentioned wearing the turban and 'aba during salat. 

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235061375-wearing-3imamah-turban/?do=findComment&comment=3226717