Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Closing Eyes While Praying

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

our local scholar said it is Makruh but if there are distractions ahead which require avoiding in order to concentrate on prayer then closing the eyes for that reason is OK.

The logic makes sense cos when i close my eyes during prayer, though i can concentrate a little better but at the same time i feel sleepy and more tired and u tend to absorb yourself into the darkness of our eye lids.

• Advanced Member

Salaam.

Yes closing the eyes during Salaah is makruh, however if there is a valid reason ie unable to concentrate, eye ache etc then it is permissable. However there is no problem in reciting Surahs/Aayats at other times whilest eyes are closed ie beforesleep, just for the Salaah keep the eyes open.

• Advanced Member

The response I got from najaf.org (representatives of Sayed Al-Sistani [HA]) to: "Is it possible to close your eyes during Salah ?", was: "There is no problem in that"..

Nothing mentioned about it being makruh.. Does anyone who has stated that it is so, have any references from any scholars (preferably Sistani [HA]), or the like ?

• Veteran Member

This was perhaps the first ever ruling I had learned on ShiaChat :Hijabi: back in the days.

Question: Is it makruh to close the eyes during Prayer?

Answer: It is permissible but it is makrooh (undesirable).

Q and A from http://sistani.org

Edited by Ali_Imran
  • Advanced Member

difficult?????

Brother if your driving a car and someone advises to drive slower on bends, does it make driving difficult??

Your response is to assess why this precautionary measure was suggested and hence u come to a conclusion that driving slow around the bends helps to avoid accident from crossin vehicles....the beautiful thing about islam is it provides an answer for everything with logical reasoning....its better to question the logic behind the Mustahab rather then imply that something is being taken out of context or atleast request Quranic/Hadith references and avoid assuming that such matters are out side the fold of islam.

• Advanced Member

I would loose my balance standing if I close my eyes...:) side note for humor. I've read if there is something that is distracting you and making focusing not possible it is permissable but it is in general makrooh. Plus shouldn't you just be focusing on the ground...thats a focal point and should be good enough.

• Advanced Member
SO what is the final answer coz while i sit and i pray i close my eyes to concentrate but yeah not while i am standing i'd prolly loose balance

Final Answer:

Question: Is it makruh to close the eyes during Prayer?

Answer: It is permissible but it is makrooh (undesirable).

Q and A from http://sistani.org

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

assalamun alaikum

Things which are Makrooh in Prayers

1166. It is Makrooh that a person in namaz slightly turns his face towards right or left, an angle which would not be construed as deviation from Qibla, otherwise namaz will be void, as explained earlier. It is also Makrooh during prayers to shut the eyes or turn towards right or left, and to play with one's beard and hands, and to cross the fingers of one hand into those of another, and to spit. It is also Makrooh to look at the writing of the holy Qur'an, or some other books or a ring. It is also Makrooh to become silent while reciting Surah al-Hamd, or any other Surah, or Zikr, so as to listen to some conversation. And in fact, every such act which disturbs attention and humility is Makrooh.

1167. It is Makrooh for a person to offer prayers when he is feeling drowsy, or when he restrains his urge for urinating or defecation. Similarly, it is Makrooh to offer prayers with tight socks which press the feet. There are other things also which are Makrooh in namaz. They are mentioned in detailed books on the subject.

Sayid Sistani's Masa'el

One of the differences between Islamic worship/meditation and those of the other faiths like buddism (i mention buddism because it is known for its meditation) is that Islam encourages complete consciousness and awareness of your surroundings. It is this awareness of reality that leads you to Allaah. While the philosophy of other religious worships encourage closing your eyes and blocking out the reality or entering a different state of consciousness, even sleeplike (which is opposite to the ISlamic style of contemplating in Salah).

In Islam a great salah is performed if his surroundings mean nothing to him while he is having a conversation with his Lord, despite knowing everything around him. Would you speak to your king with your eyes closed or open? surely it is a sign of rudeness if even your friend speaks to you keeping his eyes closed, so what about Allaah?

When we speak to each other there may be lots going on around us but it doesn't ordinarily stop you speaking to each other or losing focus on each other, so why do you lose focus when speaking to Allaah when surely He is Seeing you?

But it isn't haraam to close your eyes, but ofcourse keep the eyes of your heart open :) And yes I know it is easier said than done! May Allaah increase our piety so that we can achieve this. Surely I know I am someone who wishes to give most respect to Allaah, but my actions at times might show otherwise (e.g we might delay our prayers a little, but would most of us delay getting to work on time?). Surely once we achieve the yaqeen of emaan it will be a comfort and easier. As (i think) Imam Ali (as) said that his emaan would not change to become any better if he could physically see Allaah (which of course is an irrational concept as we cannot see Him). In other words Imam Ali worships Allaah as though He sees Him and his emaan is perfect, so what else could be added by way of signs to increase the emaan anyway? Thus he could speak to his Lord and have an arrow removed from him feeling no pain (that is correct right or am i muddled?).

Mo'min

• Advanced Member

Same, i do this to get my concentration when shaytan is distracting me with stuff like, 'where the hell are my car keys' or 'I gotta call ali' or some other thing that i really dont need to be thinking about.

Does this ruling refer to people who pray the whole salat pretty much with their eyes closed?

What about absent mindedness when you pray? I find closing my eyes for a few seconds brings my concentration back

• Veteran Member

(salam)

Imam Jafar e Sadiq (as) was asked by someone,“O son of the Prophet! How to create khuzu wa khushu (humility and fear of Allah) in prayer?” The Imam (a.s.) replied, ”During prayer keep your eyes focussed on the point where you prostrate with your forehead.” Again someone asked the Imam (a.s.) the same question and he told him that during the prayer he should have the thought in his mind that he might die immediately after the prayer. After some more days another person asked the Imam the same question. The Imam said that during the prayer the person should concentrate on the thought that he is witnessing Allah; but since Allah does not have any physical appearance, He cannot be seen with the eyes. The thought must be there during the prayer that Allah is looking at the worshipper.

• Advanced Member

the problem is it's a fact with so many people (including me) that closing eyes are the better way to avoid distractions than focusing on one point

when focusing on one point, due to the wideness of human sight, you can still acknowledge something happened which distracts you

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member
(salam)

I close my eyes when the kids are playing and the baby is crying, otherwise I would end up losing concentration and break namaz. If it is quiet I keep them open.

Zahra

I have it exactly the same way or else i lose concentration.Shutting eyes when praying is more easy when it is noisy around.But my husband said I could not do that.Don't remember if he said it was makrooh or haram though.usually I don't shut my eyes,only when it is hard to concentrate.

Edited by ummleyla
  • Advanced Member

I was totally reliant on closing my eyes for the first few years, focusing is definitely easier that way. Try to ease yourself off the habit, though, and pray somewhere as quiet and fuss-free as possible. If you have the option, use a room that's fairly unadorned and least prone to disturbances.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

There is a book called Concentration in Prayer (also a 4-part course available on CD) by Jameel Kermalli. I heard it's very helpful. I think you can order it online.

Btw, if you're wondering; Kermalli is Shia.

Here is one Review I found on Amazon.com

With this book, Mr.Jameel Kermalli has certainly written one of the most comprehensive expositions on the process of prayer. Detailing all the major steps and concepts that are necessary to achieve a complete tranquil and meditative state in prayer, the reader is bound to achieve a higher level of spirituality upon following this book. It carefully describes terminology and cites valuable, authentic, and credible scholars as evidence for the technique. This book is certainly one that is imperative for anyone who is interested and keen about improving their spirituality or understanding exactly what and how the Muslims say their prayers.

The book is certainly very effective in terms of the promised results. Numerous friends as well as ourselves have experienced greater sensations and spiritual realization within a short time of performing the method. It contains an abundance of information and a prolific amount of procedures that would be beneficial to anyone. It is definately a must buy.

Edited by Kaka Sahib

i think its a zen adage " be here now" so yes to be there in the moment you have to have your eyes open, i am not a muslim but my method of salat is that of muslims ..i mean why reinvent the weel..this way of worhipping was programmed in me as a child so i make do with it...its much better to have your eyes open all the time even while doing sajida..i personally avoid the paryer mat which has anything but geometrical designs on it ( no pic of qaba etc)..it is quite trippy for me praying even tho i am focusing on the point of sajida..not even focusing there but focusing on infinite..and i see all these things come alive, these patterns rise up from the mat and a whole lot of shape shifting...but my way of reciting ayahs is not conventional either..lol..hell now i am even composing my own depending on my emotional state...

anyways not my place to be posting here but i just want to say that praying with your eyes open does make a lot of sense