Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

An Increase In Black Shia Scholars

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
During the past few years(4) has anyone like me realised the increase in Black( African) shia scholars? What impact will their presence have? Any comments?

I personally think that is a great and wonderful thing.

I personally don't want to think of them as African or Black Shia but just as Shia Brothers and Sisters.

• Basic Members
Ya Ali Madad.

May I have some names and references? I am greatly interested in the ethnic diversity of the Sirat al-Mustaqeem.

- Mansab

Sure Bro.

Well we have Shaykh Zakzaki, leader of Millions of Shia Muslims in Nigeria, may Allah protect him and the Imam of our age continue to guide him. He is based in Nigeria, however in the Ubited states and the Caribbean we have scholars like Muhammad Abdul Latif, he is currently here in the UK kicking it up at the Islamic centre of England. There is Shaykh Haneef he is from states side however based in Iran, he is really down on his studies,a very pious man.

In England there is Shaykh Ayub rashid, he leads the Swahili community and has taught almost everywhere, a fantastic scholar and a good speaker, also there is Shaykh Zakaria, a deep scholar and brilliant teacher, I think he is based at the Islamic college for Advanced Studies. It is the leading Shia center for higher education. Also Shaykh Abdul Rauf, he is very tight and knows how to make contact I think he is still a student though, at the Islamic College I believe.

I am sure there are others but cannot remember them all.

• Advanced Member

yes mashAllah definately in the increase when I went to Hassanain RajabAlis lecture first time in muharam I saw a couple of black brothers, usually i just see arabs and asains , but alhamdolilah and InshAllah it increases alot more, its in our hands to spread dawah people seriously a close friend of mine who is Black American converted to shiaism a couple of months ago Alhamdolilah, remeber this brothers + sisters Islam is natrually appealling, bring it forth and people will be inspired!!! Sheikh Ayub Rashid will be starting classes soon in London so I cant wait to start going!!

Salawat!

Edited by yesI'moriginallyarab

• Advanced Member
During the past few years(4) has anyone like me realised the increase in Black( African) shia scholars? What impact will their presence have? Any comments?

its a wonderful thing.....In islam there are some prominent black muslims who have we have to respect:

First being Hz. Bilal (as)

Second being Hz. Jon (as) who faught in karbala for Imam Hussain (as)

And probably the most important: Bibi Amma Fizza (as).....Words cannot express how much she influenced islam, and her love for the ahel-e-bait (peace be upon them).

• Veteran Member

Most of the Companions of our Holy Prophet and Imams were also black.

Not negro black. But Arab black. Same as like Indians and Pakistanis.

Most Shia scholars from India, Pakistan are black/brown or brown/black. Let us call it Indian black.

• Basic Members

Most Shia scholars from India, Pakistan are black/brown or brown/black. Let us call it Indian black.

Salaam

When I put this post up I was mainly talking about the increase in the Shi'a scholars of African origin. Mashallah many are coming to the Madhab of the Ahlul Bayt. Much of Africa is present in the lands of the Arabs so when we look at the Gulf states and seen BLACK bros and sistas their roots are mixed. I do not know of Arab or Asian Black. But I have seen some really dark Madras Asians. Anyway its all good,as colours are a praise and glorification of the most high.

Peace to all colours......

By the way I once saw an African scholar waering a Black Imamah.

Edited by shia2shia

• Advanced Member

Salaam

We have many more black shia brothers now adays but i find them to be great to reach out to the youth because they connect better however i have also seen that they are met with a lot of racism and opposition due to the nature of their behavior and not conforming to the ways of "traditional" ignorant muslims it's sad but a lot can be learned from these scholars but we will nto allow them to speak...Ignorance always wins for now.... :(

• Basic Members
Salaam

We have many more black shia brothers now adays but i find them to be great to reach out to the youth because they connect better however i have also seen that they are met with a lot of racism and opposition due to the nature of their behavior and not conforming to the ways of "traditional" ignorant muslims it's sad but a lot can be learned from these scholars but we will nto allow them to speak...Ignorance always wins for now.... :(

That is so sad and too bad.

• Advanced Member

I have nothing against black people and those mentioned above are highly respected black brothers. Coming up with predjudice remarks like thats is BS, its like saying all whites are pale, saying pakistan is black/brown is a joke. Have you ever been to nothern pakistan or seen anyone from there majority are white skinned e.g kashmir and nwfp regions.

Edited by MirpuriMusehrz786

• Basic Members
Are you taking the [Edited]??

I have nothing against black people and those mentioned above are highly respected black brothers. Coming up with predjudice remarks like thats is BS, its like saying all whites are pale, saying pakistan is black/brown is a joke. Have you ever been to nothern pakistan or seen anyone from there majority are white skinned e.g kashmir and nwfp regions.

Dear Bro

Chill, I am sure no offense was intended. Dont use that type of language its not good for you or for others. Mashallah there are many White scholars ( european and states side)coming through now also. I was told many are in Qom.

Yeap your right some Kasmiris are very pale in skin colour another reason to glorify Allah.

Edited by BintAlHoda

i think it is a natural result of the fact that shi'ism is spreading within the african american community as well as inside africa, thereby resulting in more scholars

i think it is a natural result of the fact that shi'ism is spreading within the african american community as well as inside africa, thereby resulting in more scholars

• Basic Members

Salaam

Some claim that by 2020 there will be 20 million Shia in Nigeria alone. Ghana also has a very large number. North Africa used to drop the Shi'a lick but now thats history, many Shi'a in the Caribbean though, we has one shiekh here for Muharram, Muhammad abdul Latif. He is giving Majlis in the Islamic Centre of England. Dropping it like its hot....

• Advanced Member

Pakistani? You realize pakistan was never a race or country prior to this...They were all indian origion scholars/companions....After the partition is when all of the syeds from india, which still has the largest amount of syeds in south asia, went to pakistan.

• Advanced Member

yes, and that is a good thing. and i hope the increase wont just among certain ethnic or race, but among all of races and ethnics all over the world as well. :angel:

• Advanced Member

2020 20 MILLION SHIAS in Nigeria?? whered you get that from?

There are 3 students from Illorin Nigeria there that have almost reached the level. One of those are actually already Sunni scholar. Add to that there is one scholalr who is also of AhluSunnah too. Then I know still another shiekh completed his studies in Iran that is there. Their community is like only 300 and they have nearly 5 or so scholars.

Add on

"Quasi" Muhammed Abdul Haneef

Hashim Aludeen

And as I was saying, these guys and the 2 A follower mentioned all know each other and go back.

• Basic Members

There are 3 students from Illorin Nigeria there that have almost reached the level. One of those are actually already Sunni scholar. Add to that there is one scholalr who is also of AhluSunnah too. Then I know still another shiekh completed his studies in Iran that is there. Their community is like only 300 and they have nearly 5 or so scholars.

Add on

Hashim Aludeen

And as I was saying, these guys and the 2 A follower mentioned all know each other and go back.

Salaams

Well brother firstly you should know that the largest Quds demonstratiuons are held in the Shia regions of Nigeria. By largest I mean in the world, this has been going on for a few years now. Second have you not heard of the great Mujahid Shaykh Zakzaki? Wel if not then please allow me to inform you. At Present there are estimated to be in the region of 3 to 4 million Shia in Nigeria. How the Madhab is growing many have estimated that by 2020 nthere will be over 20 million in the country. Further more have you heard of the Islamic College? It has a department in Ghana which has a Hawza which in the past 10 to 15 years produced some hard core scholars, who are spreading the teachings across West Africa. The numbers of Shia in Ghana are not known but if you send me an email contact I will send you pictures of Ashuru in Nigeria, from them you can judge if there are more than 300 in the picture.

Lyrical mysticism kicking the truth, enriching the youth and confronting taghut.

Peace...

• Veteran Member
Lyrical mysticism kicking the truth, enriching the youth and confronting taghut.

Nice multi's.

May every muslim be blessed in the Hereafter, especially those who hold on to Hadhrat Bilal's (ra) adhaan till this day! The shi'a! How great our Prophet (saws) and his deen and true ummah is, he made a freed black slave the master of everyone heading to salaat, when he wanted him to recite adhaan. What a great personality and role model the Africans have in Bilal (ra).. Just like the persians in Hadhrat Salman (ra).. Whoever tries to infiltrate the stupidity of Pan-Arabism within Islam shall be crushed by their stories

• Basic Members

Add on

Hashim Aludeen

Add on

Hashim Aludeen

Well in Qum there are hundreds of African studnets, same as in Syria there are many. Many have reached the stage of Hujjat. And most do not know each other! If you knew what was happening in Nigeria amongst the Shi'a then of course you would not ask where that 20 Million figre came from.

Do some research them come back.

• Advanced Member

Sheikh Abdul Alim Musa - a very Shi'a friendly Sunni sheikh in the US (he regularly attends Shi'a conferences, and shows up at Shi'a ctr. from time to time) --- he recently said in one of his khutbas, that during the time right before the Islamic Revolution in Iran, African Americans were very interested in Shi'a Islam, and that some Shi'a ctrs. were seeing upto 20-25% African American attendances - because they were so impressed with Imam Khomeini. And there were more who may not be attending the masajid but were seriously studying Islam.

Then two things happened:

1) the influx of wahabbi anti-Shi'a literature in the sunni masajid

2) the Iranian exiles (not the monarchists - but those who were still Muslim) - made the Shi'a ctrs. into Iranian cultural ctrs. - and did away with the revolutionary Islam that had first attracted so many African Americans - these ctrs. now have become "moderate" types that are often more into preserving their own status quo, and they have little or no concern for the oppressed peoples who may just live a few miles from their ctrs.

Sheikh Musa pointed this out at one Iranian Shi'a ctr. in the east coast, and he told 'em that you might have more Iranians attending these ctrs. - but these are all cultural - and if you don't shape up, Islam will stop having any appeal to African Americans. Because what is important for us is Islam - not Iranian culture.

• Advanced Member

Salam, I recently met some black shi'a brothers in my local Islamic Centre, they were from Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica, apparently in Trinidad there are a huge number of shi'a mosques, its amzing how shi'ism spreads to all the corners of the globe...

2) the Iranian exiles (not the monarchists - but those who were still Muslim) - made the Shi'a ctrs. into Iranian cultural ctrs. - and did away with the revolutionary Islam that had first attracted so many African Americans - these ctrs. now have become "moderate" types that are often more into preserving their own status quo, and they have little or no concern for the oppressed peoples who may just live a few miles from their ctrs.

hmmm only the iranians? :wacko:

• Advanced Member
Hello my name is Marcellus Mullins. I am African American guy deeply curious about Shia Islam since I grew up in nominal christian faith.

(salam)

Brothers and sisters I know we have all been raised with pictures of the Imams (alayhim as salam) but how many of you kno wthat almost half of them were black!? Please read Mufid's Kitab Al Irshad and look at who their mothers (ra) were, please do so, some of you may be surprised.

ws

(salam)

Brothers and sisters I know we have all been raised with pictures of the Imams (alayhim as salam) but how many of you kno wthat almost half of them were black!? Please read Mufid's Kitab Al Irshad and look at who their mothers (ra) were, please do so, some of you may be surprised.

ws

Also, even Imam al Mahdi (as) is black. In Kulayni and all the older sources his mother is nubian. That's right, our leader, our Imam and hope is black.

Hello my name is Marcellus Mullins. I am African American guy deeply curious about Shia Islam since I grew up in nominal christian faith.

(salam)

There is a forum that specifically caters to helping people who are interested in learning about shia islam, and there are many converts there who can share their experiences with you.

Go here: http://revertmuslims.com/forum/index.php

I hope you will join us there soon.