Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Dialectician

What Are You Reading Currently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Been reading this collection of scholarly articles edited by an authority on the subject. The book title is self-explanatory. I plan to review it in detail when done. I am half way through!

deadyl.jpg

The Deadly Embrace : Religion, Politics, and Violence in India and Pakistan, 1947-2002

Edited by: Ian Talbot

I used to do that.

But then someone (whose username rhymes with "Yarbles") protested and so I stopped posting in this thread.

This accusation is without foundation. I might have objected to some of your interpretations but I never protested against your right to review books. (On the contrary, you unfairly objected to my reading certain books!) In fact, if truth be told, I enjoyed your personal reviews even though most of them were retarded. So, you are welcome to start posting in this thread again. But I guess you ran out of books to read on Soviet Union and North Korea.

Edited by Marbles

This accusation is without foundation. I might have objected to some of your interpretations but I never protested against your right to review books. (On the contrary, you unfairly objected to my reading certain books!) In fact, if truth be told, I enjoyed your personal reviews even though most of them were retarded. So, you are welcome to start posting in this thread again. But I guess you ran out of books to read on Soviet Union and North Korea.

You said somewhere in the thread that I should stop cluttering the thread with long posts, and one time in the chatroom you told me that this is your turf or whatever.

In any case, I only brought that up because I like any excuse to poke fun at you. Otherwise, the real reason I stopped posting is because I'm too lazy to read nowadays. Illiteracy FTW.

In any case, I only brought that up because I like any excuse to poke fun at you. Otherwise, the real reason I stopped posting is because I'm too lazy to read nowadays. Illiteracy FTW.

Yeah, as if I don't know it already.

I read "No God But God' By Reza Aslan recently. He's an exceptional writer, and how he brought to life certain incidents during the Prophet's life were really breathtaking. And i would certainly recommend it to a Non Muslim, as Aslan tries to remain as impartial as possible in his views.

But i'm still shocked at his implication that the Prophet(saw) may have considered suicide had it not been for Khadija. I found that incredibly offensive, and i'm stunned anyone claiming themselves to be a Muslim can say something like this. Beyond revolting.

Other than that, it's actually a very good book.

Inspired from this website, I vowed to keep a list of books I would read, on any topic, in any language, and see how I fare in a full solar year. 2011 has been the first time I kept such a list. It is sort of instructive even for me as I noticed the types of books I have read, their genres and languages. I thought I'd share it in this relevant thread. I have reviewed around half, if not more, of these books in this thread: So here are some stats:

Total books read from 1st January till 31st December 2011: Fifty four (54)

Here is the breakdown

Genres:

Fiction: 15

Historical Fiction: 3

History: 15

Politics/Current Affairs: 5

Poetry: 7

Literary Criticism: 1

Philosophy: 2

Biography/Memoir/Reportage: 6

Languages:

English: 43

Urdu: 4

Punjabi: 1

Saraiki: 1

Bilingual (Urdu/English): 3

Bilingual (Punjabi/English): 1

Trilingual (Farsi/Urdu/English): 1

I was put off from reading for 4-6 months in 2011, either due to 'burn out feel' or due to family and work commitments. If I had read throughout, the total count would be much higher. (My initial target was to read 100 books in 2011 lol)

I am reading more fiction and history than anything else. The bi- and trilingual books are for poetry collections. I have been reading originals and translations to bone up on my own work of translation.

So, can you tell us how many books you read in 2011? B)

Inspired from this website, I vowed to keep a list of books I would read, on any topic, in any language, and see how I fare in a full solar year. 2011 has been the first time I kept such a list. It is sort of instructive even for me as I noticed the types of books I have read, their genres and languages. I thought I'd share it in this relevant thread. I have reviewed around half, if not more, of these books in this thread: So here are some stats:

Total books read from 1st January till 31st December 2011: Fifty four (54)

Here is the breakdown

Genres:

Fiction: 15

Historical Fiction: 3

History: 15

Politics/Current Affairs: 5

Poetry: 7

Literary Criticism: 1

Philosophy: 2

Biography/Memoir/Reportage: 6

Languages:

English: 43

Urdu: 4

Punjabi: 1

Saraiki: 1

Bilingual (Urdu/English): 3

Bilingual (Punjabi/English): 1

Trilingual (Farsi/Urdu/English): 1

I was put off from reading for 4-6 months in 2011, either due to 'burn out feel' or due to family and work commitments. If I had read throughout, the total count would be much higher. (My initial target was to read 100 books in 2011 lol)

I am reading more fiction and history than anything else. The bi- and trilingual books are for poetry collections. I have been reading originals and translations to bone up on my own work of translation.

So, can you tell us how many books you read in 2011? B)

maybe a few, I tell you what, so I can motivate myself to read, I challenge you a new competition for 2012, who can read more books, every month or so we can tell each other how much books we have read to boost the other person, this way it will be a bit more fun (well at least for me dunno about you :donno:)

What do you say?

maybe a few, I tell you what, so I can motivate myself to read, I challenge you a new competition for 2012, who can read more books, every month or so we can tell each other how much books we have read to boost the other person, this way it will be a bit more fun (well at least for me dunno about you :donno:)

What do you say?

Sure, I don't mind. We can update on monthly basis.

But... no cheating -_-

The reason why 1984 is more well known and more popular than Brave New World is simple: readers don't want to read anti-nafs stuff. We don't want to hear that it's bad to be drowned in worldly pleasures. Even Muslims don't want to hear this, let alone Westerners.

And because the world has been Brave-New-Worldized. We're already enslaved and controlled by nafs and worldly pleasures.