Guest Dialectician

What Are You Reading Currently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

alice.jpg

Our Lady of Alice Bhatti by Muhammed Hanif

It's the second novel by the author. The first one, A Case of Exploding Mangoes, was a great hit with its dark sarcasm and scathing political commentary. Amazon says the book hasn't released yet, in the West probably. But the Subcontinental copy has come out and I bought it today. The storyline isn't very appealing but I can only say more after reading the book. Will surely review once done.

More from Amazon LINK

Just finished

31-4hvD6xFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

What an amazing read!! Realy and truly a book worth its money. Khaled Hosseini sheds light on life in kabul, what it was like growing up there as a kid and his journey to America. The highlight of it was when he travels back into a taliban infested Kabul to meet 'some1' was arguable the best part of the book!

Cant wait to get my hands on :

51TtF4oryvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Edited by diracdeltafunc

^ Both are good reads indeed. The first better than the second.

As for "The Kiterunner", the novel becomes linearly familiar with a film-like storyline when the protagonist returns to Kabul to save a boy. Too many remarkable but predictable things happen, like coming across his childhood adversary (what's his name) who joins the Taliban. This is a weak point in the plot. The author could have weaved a more intriguing storyline. Anyway.

Edited by Marbles

Kite Runner is probably one of my favorites up to date. I couldn't put it down :(

I finished Beloved by Toni Morrison a while ago. I didn't like it - it wasn't linear and went all over the place. I guess that's the beauty of it, but it's not something I would pick up again.

I'm still reading Al-Mizan by Allamah Tabatabai (I love love love this, although I'm abit skeptical. He uses other ayaahs to prove another ayaah, which isn't such a good thing to do. But still :wub:), and I've now begun reading this book. It's been on my shelf for a while. But here goes.

israel-question.jpg

Edited by Blissful

I'm still reading Al-Mizan by Allamah Tabatabai (I love love love this, although I'm abit skeptical. He uses other ayaahs to prove another ayaah, which isn't such a good thing to do. But still :wub:),

And what makes you believe this?

Have you read a thousand splendid suns? You'll love it!

I'm about to start it soon!

@Blissful

Yes! You could feel the plot weaken near the end. Especially the meeting between the paedo leader of taliban and amir. Doesnt make sense that Amir walked out alive by puncturing an eye of ameeer (not to mention they were completely surrounded by taliban l.a)

I was told that apparently, hadith wise - it's not the best way to do tafseer. I remember being shown the hadith, I just don't have it at hand :donno:

Sis that hadith refers to striking one ayah against another (i.e. quoting one ayah to support a view that is against the Quran as a whole).

That is not what Allameh Tabatabaei did.

I'm still reading Al-Mizan by Allamah Tabatabai (I love love love this, although I'm abit skeptical. He uses other ayaahs to prove another ayaah, which isn't such a good thing to do. But still :wub:), and I've now begun reading this book. It's been on my shelf for a while. But here goes.

israel-question.jpg

Just added 2 more books to my current reading - both classics:

[EDITED]

mzl.wohypzuy.320x480-75.jpg

In terms of My Israel Question, I think it's an amazing book. It's written by an Australian Jewish man, and he is basically questioning how much Zionism is to blame for the occupation in Israel, and the way the media is reacting and covering up the oppression, particularly on the side of the Palestinian people. He also focuses on our reactions to this here in Australia, and talks about the many scandals including the Ashrawi scandal in 2003. It's a very interesting and factual book, particularly because of the perspective of the author. Worth a read. Edited by Basim Ali
Inappropriate picture on book cover. Please keep in mind this is an Islamic forum.

Great pick Blissful! The colonial experience in Conrad's novel brings the point home. And who doesn't know about Lolita. Reading Nabokov's works itself is a lesson in English language and the art of storytelling.

Do review them in detail when you are done. We will discuss.

Edited by Marbles